Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• I've knocked the saying for years but this year I am literally only checking the OS.
    Steering clear of here.

What's happened to this place?
    The rumours threads of years past used to be decent.
    I say unto you that likewise more joy shall be in Heaven over one sinner that repenteth, than over ninety and nine just persons who need no repentance.

WIOTOS as the realists say.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Yeah, does post on here. 

Interesting table, at least shows that while Ipswich are building a strong first 11, they’re going to struggle with a few injuries and no squad. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Wouldn't say I'm panicking yet, but business is very slow for a squad that still needs another 9 or 10 players.

Expected another 3 or 4 in by now, but in Nigel Adkins & Steve Gallen we trust.
    Ok, I'm starting to panic a bit now.  Surely we'll see 1 or 2 signings this week????
    I know. Whatever are the recruitment team doing? It's Monday afternoon already and no signings.

It probably means nobody will be signed this week and we'll have to kick off against Sheff Weds including exactly half of the U23 team in the starting line up.

Golfie was right after all. :disappointed:

But who is to say Sheff Weds dont start with three quarters of their u23’s….as could much of our division given the lack of activity thus far
    Good point.

My suggestion: let's play the U23 fixture v Sheff Weds instead that day.
    I'm sure the Massives will be relieved too.

Then both teams won't need to worry about the result.

• To be fair, none of the teams we have sent out in friendlies so far have been close to what we will put out against Wednesday. So any signings made before we do start getting close to what our team will be might not find it that much of a disadvantage coming in late. A small one maybe, but nothing major. 
  • Charts like the above are all well and good however it does not reflect our situation. Yes it seems all league one clubs are struggling to recruit and are keeping the same squads, however:

6 teams finished above last season so in keeping the same squads they could well do it again.

We have not kept the same squad, we have let players go including our 15 goal top scorer.  

The 3 x teams that came down from the Championship will be strong as well.

• edited July 2021
    Charts like the above are all well and good however it does not reflect our situation. Yes it seems all league one clubs are struggling to recruit and are keeping the same squads, however:

6 teams finished above last season so in keeping the same squads they could well do it again.

We have not kept the same squad, we have let players go including our 15 goal top scorer.  

Sheffield and Wycombe also lost 11 of their players so may not be as strong as last year.
    Data only goes so far so it's certainly not gospel, but the one thing it does indicate is the pool we're fishing in is smaller than it's ever been with multiple teams going through a top to bottom rebuild. If it turns out to be the year of the academy as you're not willing to do a Wigan and pay 2-3x a players worth in wages, I'd much rather pick from our crop than many others. The downside to this is many teams at the left of that graph clearly didn't utilise many loans or short-term contracts so are largely unchanged. Accrington could be another sleeping dog if they manage to add some quality and we continue to struggle in recruitment.
  • Charts like the above are all well and good however it does not reflect our situation. Yes it seems all league one clubs are struggling to recruit and are keeping the same squads, however:

Maybe I’ve read that chart incorrectly, but surely it shows that sides aren’t keeping the same squad, with 10 sides having at least 8 less players. Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham currently each have 11 less players than the end of the season, so no guarantee they will be strong. Again, I might have completely misread the table. 
  • The thing about the academy is that players have to force their way into a side for it to be a successful route, not get in by default.
    You're right usually mate, I think we're facing a somewhat unprecedented situation where every single business in the country has been decimated financially all at the same time. Unless you're lucky to have a Wigan or Sunderland level of rich owner, it might come down to how good is your home-grown talent for the first time in a long time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Vfrf said:
    The thing about the academy is that players have to force their way into a side for it to be a successful route, not get in by default.
    You're right usually mate, I think we're facing a somewhat unprecedented situation where every single business in the country has been decimated financially all at the same time. Unless you're lucky to have a Wigan or Sunderland level of rich owner, it might come down to how good is your home-grown talent for the first time in a long time.
    Crewe could be a dark-horse if it comes down to home grown talent. Of course, it’s also looking like a big season for who gets the right premier league and championship loans in. 
  • Surely the rules of maths are that if all the teams are lower by an average of 8 on previous year players there must be a huge stockpile of talent somewhere?  Some may have retired but additionally a few youth players will join first teams to compensate. 
  • RedChaser said:
    Rothko said:
    I forgot this is the first window without Freedom of Movement, which is mainly a restriction for EFL teams, as Premier League clubs can buy in the exempted group 
    Without doing any sort of research I'd say that League 1 squads are probably 95% made up with British players. 

I dont think not being able to pick up a player from Estonia, Belgium or Spain is the reason why we haven't signed that many players......
    We signed someone???

Shortest hiatus ever Golfie ;)
    Sorry.....just cant keep away.

It's a drug & I'm hooked  !!
    You could always ask the mods for a time out 😉
    That reminds about Seth Plum. Does anyone know if he's still banned or is he taking a voluntary leave of absence? 
  • barstool said:
    Surely the rules of maths are that if all the teams are lower by an average of 8 on previous year players there must be a huge stockpile of talent somewhere?  Some may have retired but additionally a few youth players will join first teams to compensate. 
    Every club in league 1 used at least 3 loans through the season most of that 8 is 4 or 5 loans. 
  • RedChaser said:
    Rothko said:
    I forgot this is the first window without Freedom of Movement, which is mainly a restriction for EFL teams, as Premier League clubs can buy in the exempted group 
    Without doing any sort of research I'd say that League 1 squads are probably 95% made up with British players. 

I dont think not being able to pick up a player from Estonia, Belgium or Spain is the reason why we haven't signed that many players......
    We signed someone???

That reminds about Seth Plum. Does anyone know if he's still banned or is he taking a voluntary leave of absence? 
    @PaddyP17 might be prepared to shed some light 🤔.
  • Vfrf said:
    Charts like the above are all well and good however it does not reflect our situation. Yes it seems all league one clubs are struggling to recruit and are keeping the same squads, however:

Sheffield and Wycombe also lost 11 of their players so may not be as strong as last year.
    Data only goes so far so it's certainly not gospel, but the one thing it does indicate is the pool we're fishing in is smaller than it's ever been with multiple teams going through a top to bottom rebuild. If it turns out to be the year of the academy as you're not willing to do a Wigan and pay 2-3x a players worth in wages, I'd much rather pick from our crop than many others. The downside to this is many teams at the left of that graph clearly didn't utilise many loans or short-term contracts so are largely unchanged. Accrington could be another sleeping dog if they manage to add some quality and we continue to struggle in recruitment.
    Context is important and that chart shows that we are far from unique in not having replaced all the bodies we've lost but...

This is Charlton Life, not Ipswich Life or Gillingham Life so we focus on our club and our squad which isn't, yet, strong enough IMHO.

Now that can change and almost certainly will. (WIOTOS Applies)

Whether, the new players will be good enough for top two or at least top six we won't really know until May.

But as I said in early June there were three crucial dates to judge the squad rebuild.

1. When training restarts.  Not really done enough. Good signings but not many and we've not replaced Aneke or JFC (as he's not fit)

2. When the season starts. Still three weeks away so can't say but I hope we've seen some more permanent deals by then. Free or for fees I don't mind.

3. When the window closes. Yes, there will still be free agents but I'd expect to see another four, maybe five if Famewo signs permanently, five, loans arrive by then. As will just about every top half club in the division.

Till then I will enjoy any real rumours and see how we do against the three league clubs.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Yeah, does post on here. 

Interesting table, at least shows that while Ipswich are building a strong first 11, they’re going to struggle with a few injuries and no squad. 
    Phew, glad I didn't cash out my promotion, top 6 & top southern team bets :smile:
  • barstool said:
    Surely the rules of maths are that if all the teams are lower by an average of 8 on previous year players there must be a huge stockpile of talent somewhere?  Some may have retired but additionally a few youth players will join first teams to compensate. 
    There’s probably a lot of players out there looking for a new team. But if it works anything like US sports, you got a few key players who need to make a decision before the market frees up. 
  • Thinking about our net ins and outs from the end of last season and ignoring players not in the squad (Oztumer, Maddison) or younger players with little first team action

GK - no change (1 out 1 in)
    Defenders - minus 2 (Deji, Maatsen)
    Midfield - minus 2 (Smith, Shinnie, Pratley out, Dobson in)
    Attacking midfield - minus 1 (Millar)
    Strikers - minus 1 (Aneke)

Of course numbers don't tell the full story, as Smith and Shinnie were bit part players at the end of the season, whereas Millar and Aneke were key members of the squad
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Rothko said:

We signed someone???

RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Rothko said:

We signed someone???

I don't suppose it's any of my business but I did quite like Seth's posts. Not that I usually agreed with him but I appreciated that he wasn't worried about filtering his opinions.
  • Thinking about our net ins and outs from the end of last season and ignoring players not in the squad (Oztumer, Maddison) or younger players with little first team action

Of course numbers don't tell the full story, as Smith and Shinnie were bit part players at the end of the season, whereas Millar and Aneke were key members of the squad

We're 3 down in midfield with JFCs injury. And technically neutral up top with Davidson back from loan I guess.

If we replace Millar, Maatsen, JFC and Aneke with similar level, or better, players we will be there or there abouts.  Then your adding the icing on the cake. 
  • barstool said:
    Apparently, as I've just been told, they are all heading for the Championship.  
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Im guessing this is a lot of work for someome which is why it hasn't been done but is there any chance we can have a bite size rumours thread or an actual rumours thread , for the casual punter who likes a quick check up every now and then without having to scroll through 6 pages of moaning about being no rumours, fish puns, bitching,drooling over ex players and general chit chat
    You missed out the body building page.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Im guessing this is a lot of work for someome which is why it hasn't been done but is there any chance we can have a bite size rumours thread or an actual rumours thread , for the casual punter who likes a quick check up every now and then without having to scroll through 6 pages of moaning about being no rumours, fish puns, bitching,drooling over ex players and general chit chat
    Need a mod for that.
  • edited July 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Need a mod for that.
    Meanwhile it’s only a bit of a shortcut but go into the ‘best of’ posts (top left under ‘quick links’)@CH4RLTON  which will have 5 or more likes / lols and anything which gets the pulses racing should be in there which a shed load against the post.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Just do what I do, only read the posts with loads of likes.

• Concerning players being too young. 

These players were put in the first team as 16, 17 or 18 year old. One of them managed  the team recently. Another made his debut for another team at 15 and was sold to Charlton  for a then reputed record for a teenager for £17,500.

Eddie Firmani 18    1951

Stuart Leary  18       1951

Brian Kinsey  19     1957 I think       

Keith Peacock 18     1964

Lenny Glover   19     1962

Alan Campbell  17    1965

Paul Elliot         18     1980  (his debut was a nightmare,  but after that 

Paul Walsh      18      1981

Paul Konchesky 17   1996

Graham Tutt   17       1974 

Joe Gomez      17       2015

Ezrri Konsa        17         2016

Anfernee Djiksteel     18  2016

There are many others . The point is all these had good careers from an early age and didn't  go I the team as a stop gap.  Many were defenders. None were loaned out either before the debut and few were at all and many were sold for a handsome profit or stayed years at Charlton 

The maxim was, ' If you are good enough,  yo are old enough '. 

If Nigel goes that way at Charlton he won't  be the first at this club. Perhaps it is sensible .

Barker may have gone backwards because he thinks he should  be a 1st team player now 🤔
    I would just point out that apart from the last 3 and Konch, all the names mentioned played in an era when clubs did not operate with a large squad with 2 players for every position.
    In the case of Charlton, as the owner was reluctant to ever spend any money on players, it was often a case of needs must when chucking in a promising kid.
     The owner is not the point .  The class of the player is.  I didn't go into the whole list through the ages. Rufus could be added for a start. Leaburn too along with several others like Solly, Grant. 

Pele was 17 and a World Cup Winner. 
    George Best was 17. I suppose they wouldn't hack it today either. 
    You missed my point completely (quelle surprise). Whatever.
    Of course, as a general rule of thumb, if they are good enough they are old enough.

If they are good enough they are old enough and you agree with that , what point am I missing. 

When I was 18 I played 2 sometimes 3 games a weekend if required when Charlton were away.  I was very fit . Just not at a standard required to be professional but played against blokes 7-15 years older than me and a couple of ex professionals.  By saying these guys are not fit enough as some have  is not true. Not canny or synical enough maybe. I disagree with you completely.  It is a forum.  Not a gladiatorial ring. 

By the way stick you 'quelled surprise ' where the sun doesn't shine.  
    You continue to surprise me with the shite you post. 
    Likewise I am sure. Your criticism seems limited to forms of defecation and being startled.  
    Bartraaaaaaam!!!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!