Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• RedChaser said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I thought Cawley had ruled out Josh Sims? Decent enough player but not someone I remember us being linked with before. 

Why bring Sims in just to calm fans when we have a young lad Charlie Clayden know which one I would rather have in our team 

Okay I’ll bite 🙄. In the words of a famous tennis player ‘you cannot be serious’! I can’t recall Sims against us for Donny but he’s now 24, an England youth international with over 75 first team appearances for a few league clubs under his belt, over a third of those last season.

Clayden was plucked out of Orients disbanded youth team, aged 20 no league appearances, a late developer. Showed promise scoring in the first half Welling friendly who offered little competition. Not so good for the 2nd half against Dartford who offered a much sterner test. In fact I thought he should’ve mixed it up a bit rather than trying to be Roy of the Rovers. He’s got a lot to learn and a way to go if he is to get in the ‘team’ as you put it. 

Sims could do a job now, Clayden is one for the future and slowly introduced to the squad IMHO.

Good job we did not have the save attitude with players like Paul Walsh a d Robert Lee …

If we can’t blood young players in league one then we might as well close the academy and save millions of pounds each year 
    Robert Lee never played in the third tier for us .
  • Doncaster fans really rate Sims by the way, they reckon he's good for a mid-table Championship move.
    I think @Callumcafc posted an xG chart of sorts for attacking mids/wingers in this league and he was right up there? Might be wrong 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Can we get back to rumours? 

@Covered_End_Lad
    @Addicks59
    @ButtleJR
    @Cafc43v3r

You've all had info recently any updates or fresh takes?
    Nothing new, however what I was told last week sounded close enough to assume they would be announced this week, barring any last minute medical issues (again!).
    give us a clue lad, just a crumb, anything. Height, his star sign?
    Winger is a perm, will definitely improve us. 

The other is a defender, I am assuming a LB but wasn't given the name. No idea if loan or perm.
    Interesting re the LB as there's a rumour floating around today that Maatsen is coming back. Thanks for sharing.
    It's a complete long shot. It has come from someone who frequents this forum and Into The Valley, you don't need to be a detective to work out who it is by the name 
  • mendonca said:
    I wouldn't be impressed at all if we get Solomon-Otabor after his medical issues. We are/were moving away from these kind of transfers. 
    Completely agree. I can't remember us ever signing someone after they've failed a medical before
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Diego Poyet - 18 too. He played CM, in the Championship and a thin frame (back then).
    Lad is a beast now:

Yep... No doubt he's been sticking himself with the juicy fruit. 
    Very disrespectful!… how do you know he’s just extremely dedicated to his passion? 

Why feel the need to knock him down with your negativity 
  • The fella we were trying to buy that went to Rangers, Nnamdi Ofoborh, career is on hold after they have discovered a heart problem
  • Croydon said:
    mendonca said:
    I wouldn't be impressed at all if we get Solomon-Otabor after his medical issues. We are/were moving away from these kind of transfers. 
    Completely agree. I can't remember us ever signing someone after they've failed a medical before
    Tbf we dont know the extent of the issue or how serious the fail was or what our side are thinking maybe on a big reduction of wages they see it as worth the risk for the quality they see in him 🤷🏻‍♂️

• edited July 2021
    Maccn05 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Diego Poyet - 18 too. He played CM, in the Championship and a thin frame (back then).
    Lad is a beast now:

Very disrespectful!… how do you know he’s just extremely dedicated to his passion? 

There was mention of it before, I think in a Diego Poyet thread.
    Dont shoot the messenger I’m just trying to give context.
  • Sponsored links:

• Left back would be an interesting one , however if it's a PL loanee and not say Conor Oglivie I'd be surprised if it was done this week. Most of the players we'd be targeting will probably be playing first team friendlies whilst the players from the Euros are still away. 
  • I have seen Ogilvie mentioned by a few on here with good reviews never seen him myself is he an upgrade on purrington or getting someone like maatsen back ...?
  • I’ve heard that Poyet is incoming to fill a (very large) hole in the midfield. What he now lacks in speed he makes up for in shoulder to shoulder challenges. 

• Concerning players being too young. 

These players were put in the first team as 16, 17 or 18 year old. One of them managed  the team recently. Another made his debut for another team at 15 and was sold to Charlton  for a then reputed record for a teenager for £17,500.

Eddie Firmani 18    1951

Stuart Leary  18       1951

Brian Kinsey  19     1957 I think       

Keith Peacock 18     1964

Lenny Glover   19     1962

Alan Campbell  17    1965

Paul Elliot         18     1980  (his debut was a nightmare,  but after that 

Paul Walsh      18      1981

Paul Konchesky 17   1996

Graham Tutt   17       1974 

Joe Gomez      17       2015

Ezrri Konsa        17         2016

Anfernee Djiksteel     18  2016

There are many others . The point is all these had good careers from an early age and didn't  go I the team as a stop gap.  Many were defenders. None were loaned out either before the debut and few were at all and many were sold for a handsome profit or stayed years at Charlton 

The maxim was, ' If you are good enough,  yo are old enough '. 

If Nigel goes that way at Charlton he won't  be the first at this club. Perhaps it is sensible .

Barker may have gone backwards because he thinks he should  be a 1st team player now 🤔
    I would just point out that apart from the last 3 and Konch, all the names mentioned played in an era when clubs did not operate with a large squad with 2 players for every position.
    In the case of Charlton, as the owner was reluctant to ever spend any money on players, it was often a case of needs must when chucking in a promising kid.
     The owner is not the point .  The class of the player is.  I didn't go into the whole list through the ages. Rufus could be added for a start. Leaburn too along with several others like Solly, Grant. 

Pele was 17 and a World Cup Winner. 
    George Best was 17. I suppose they wouldn't hack it today either. 
    You missed my point completely (quelle surprise). Whatever.
    Of course, as a general rule of thumb, if they are good enough they are old enough.

If they are good enough they are old enough and you agree with that , what point am I missing. 

When I was 18 I played 2 sometimes 3 games a weekend if required when Charlton were away.  I was very fit . Just not at a standard required to be professional but played against blokes 7-15 years older than me and a couple of ex professionals.  By saying these guys are not fit enough as some have  is not true. Not canny or synical enough maybe. I disagree with you completely.  It is a forum.  Not a gladiatorial ring. 

By the way stick you 'quelled surprise ' where the sun doesn't shine.  
    Have you tried breathing through your nose?
  • Maccn05 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Lad is a beast now:

Because I have followed his Instagram since he left us and know that he is both extremely dedicated and did not gain the amount of muscle he did in the time he did naturally...

Not relevant to this thread though and I shouldn't have detracted it by responding to Brazilliance's comment. 
  • I’ve heard that Poyet is incoming to fill a (very large) hole in the midfield. What he now lacks in speed he makes up for in shoulder to shoulder challenges. 
    May even compete with Akinfenwa :lol:

• edited July 2021
    Maccn05 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Lad is a beast now:

Not quite mate, I am a gymhead, I go 5 times a week at least, my close friends are frequent gym goers & the ones who increase in size like that in that time frame, unless pure genetics/luck are on enhancers. Two of my friends are and are very open about it and do not care at all, been tempted myself at times to get a shape I want. That gif I posted although a meme is very accurate, you don't believe all these hollywood stars who fluctuate their size and weight, wrestlers and some fighters are all natural do you? It's not offensive and if it is to someone it's probably cause they are and it's a touchy subject.

I have seen Ogilvie mentioned by a few on here with good reviews never seen him myself is he an upgrade on purrington or getting someone like maatsen back ...?
    Just a good player mate, Gills fans rate him very highly, got championship clubs looking at him, can play as a left back or left centre back, good attacking stats last season, believe he had best interceptions or most blocks in L1 last season? (something defensive) and a he's bit of a unit, would be an upgrade on Purrington and Maatsen I imagine. So we probably won't get him haha. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Lad is a beast now:

It's not disrespectful, steroids aren't seen as cheating in bodybuilding. It's actually harder to find a 'tested' bodybuilding competition, than it is an untested one. As a former competitive bodybuilder and gym manager - trust me, everyone is on something.
    "The second-annual WBF championship would be held in Long Beach on June 13, 1992. Amid a steroid scandal impacting the WWF, the WBF introduced drug testing in March 1992—which resulted in many of the competitors being relatively out-of-shape during the ensuing competition"

It nearly killed two companies why by not testing, the other by testing.  Testing killed the WBF. 
  • Croydon said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Lad is a beast now:

It's not disrespectful, steroids aren't seen as cheating in bodybuilding. It's actually harder to find a 'tested' bodybuilding competition, than it is an untested one. As a former competitive bodybuilder and gym manager - trust me, everyone is on something.
    I believe a lot (as in nearly all) of the actors who have to bulk up for superhero roles do use "chemical assistance" shall we say. Obviously the likes of Disney etc are not going to be advertising that fact but it's a fairly open secret.
  • Diego’s fall from football grace will always remain a mystery to me. 
    There’s plenty evidence in those pictures.
  • mendonca said:
    Depends what the issue is.  Different sports, but I’ve seen players in the US fail a medical, but then get signed under a different contract than the one they were initially offered.  

They may see an issue that means they won’t give a long term deal, but would sign him for a year, or a low base salary with payments for playing. 
  • Diego’s fall from football grace will always remain a mystery to me. 
    Maybe he just fell out of love with the game and never got his mojo back after a meteoric rise into the men’s game. His old man must be loaded hard footsteps to follow in and will never go hungry. He’s not the first SHG and I very much doubt will be the last.
  • RedChaser said:
    Diego’s fall from football grace will always remain a mystery to me. 
    Maybe he just fell out of love with the game and never got his mojo back after a meteoric rise into the men’s game. His old man must be loaded hard footsteps to follow in and will never go hungry. He’s not the first SHG and I very much doubt will be the last.
    His old man preferred he learnt his trade at Charlton.  Wonder why Diego stopped listening. 
    Big school
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!