Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited July 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Diego Poyet - 18 too. He played CM, in the Championship and a thin frame (back then).
    Lad is a beast now:

Jesus Mary & Joseph & the wee donkey 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😜😜😜😜😜😜😜
    Is that an official rumour @Dazzler21 needs to know about, or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick, so to speak B););)
  • Maccn05 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Diego Poyet - 18 too. He played CM, in the Championship and a thin frame (back then).
    Lad is a beast now:

Yep... No doubt he's been sticking himself with the juicy fruit. 
    Very disrespectful!… how do you know he’s just extremely dedicated to his passion? 

Why feel the need to knock him down with your negativity 
    Not quite mate, I am a gymhead, I go 5 times a week at least, my close friends are frequent gym goers & the ones who increase in size like that in that time frame, unless pure genetics/luck are on enhancers. Two of my friends are and are very open about it and do not care at all, been tempted myself at times to get a shape I want. That gif I posted although a meme is very accurate, you don't believe all these hollywood stars who fluctuate their size and weight, wrestlers and some fighters are all natural do you? It's not offensive and if it is to someone it's probably cause they are and it's a touchy subject.

I have seen Ogilvie mentioned by a few on here with good reviews never seen him myself is he an upgrade on purrington or getting someone like maatsen back ...?
    Just a good player mate, Gills fans rate him very highly, got championship clubs looking at him, can play as a left back or left centre back, good attacking stats last season, believe he had best interceptions or most blocks in L1 last season? (something defensive) and a he's bit of a unit, would be an upgrade on Purrington and Maatsen I imagine. So we probably won't get him haha. 
    I’m not going to claim to be an expert on the subject but I know people who are who have achieved great things clean.

I guess I take it as a guy who’s already excelled in one sport may have the mentality, ability and dedication to achieve great things in another?

I didn’t like Dazzlers throw away comment knocking a guy’s achievement that he doesn’t even know. I guess I try to see a positive rather than him dissing him - people constantly putting people down is a massive issue in today’s society IMO.

If I’m wrong I stand corrected as I say I don’t have the technical knowledge on the subject 👍🏼
  • While on the Rumours thread, what's everybody having for lunch today?
  • Think there’s some Wensleydale in the fridge but might just be a rumour 
  • mendonca said:
    While on the Rumours thread, what's everybody having for lunch today?
    Well to keep it a rumour at least....just waiting to see if I will have a sarnie or a salad....just waiting on confirmation so the next 30 minutes are crucial...
    It’s alright for some, just had a cheese slice on top of the last bit of ham in the packet in a sandwich with pickle 😉
  • Sponsored links:

Sounds a bit cheesy that one, also rumours are off of the menu today
  • No transfer today.
  • Just had some pan fried Halloumi, with chopped streaky bacon, chopped vine tomatoes, cucumber and  garlic mayo.
    Asked Graham Parker for a rumour, but he just sang "Don't ask me questions"  ;)

• Concerning players being too young. 

These players were put in the first team as 16, 17 or 18 year old. One of them managed  the team recently. Another made his debut for another team at 15 and was sold to Charlton  for a then reputed record for a teenager for £17,500.

Eddie Firmani 18    1951

Stuart Leary  18       1951

Brian Kinsey  19     1957 I think       

Keith Peacock 18     1964

Lenny Glover   19     1962

Alan Campbell  17    1965

Paul Elliot         18     1980  (his debut was a nightmare,  but after that 

Paul Walsh      18      1981

Paul Konchesky 17   1996

Graham Tutt   17       1974 

Joe Gomez      17       2015

Ezrri Konsa        17         2016

Anfernee Djiksteel     18  2016

There are many others . The point is all these had good careers from an early age and didn't  go I the team as a stop gap.  Many were defenders. None were loaned out either before the debut and few were at all and many were sold for a handsome profit or stayed years at Charlton 

The maxim was, ' If you are good enough,  yo are old enough '. 

If Nigel goes that way at Charlton he won't  be the first at this club. Perhaps it is sensible .

Barker may have gone backwards because he thinks he should  be a 1st team player now 🤔
    I would just point out that apart from the last 3 and Konch, all the names mentioned played in an era when clubs did not operate with a large squad with 2 players for every position.
    In the case of Charlton, as the owner was reluctant to ever spend any money on players, it was often a case of needs must when chucking in a promising kid.
     The owner is not the point .  The class of the player is.  I didn't go into the whole list through the ages. Rufus could be added for a start. Leaburn too along with several others like Solly, Grant. 

Pele was 17 and a World Cup Winner. 
    George Best was 17. I suppose they wouldn't hack it today either. 
    You missed my point completely (quelle surprise). Whatever.
    Of course, as a general rule of thumb, if they are good enough they are old enough.

If they are good enough they are old enough and you agree with that , what point am I missing. 

When I was 18 I played 2 sometimes 3 games a weekend if required when Charlton were away.  I was very fit . Just not at a standard required to be professional but played against blokes 7-15 years older than me and a couple of ex professionals.  By saying these guys are not fit enough as some have  is not true. Not canny or synical enough maybe. I disagree with you completely.  It is a forum.  Not a gladiatorial ring. 

By the way stick you 'quelled surprise ' where the sun doesn't shine.  
    You continue to surprise me with the shite you post. 
    Likewise I am sure. Your criticism seems limited to forms of defecation and being startled.  
    Now Now...don't forget what the gaffer said yesterday, we all need to be nice to each other
  • mendonca said:
    I had a Thai Green Curry, with basa, shrimp and tuna. Gotta feed them gains. 
  • Bring back Golfie! 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    See, when I dont post it all ends up being a discussion about steroids or what we are all having for lunch. Although In the background there is a spat between @addick1956 and whosoever has got his back up today. 

I'll post again when we finally sign someone.

Toodle pip. 
    Good to hear from you Golfie, as you say it's all gone tits up since you last posted... B)
    By the way, hope your lad is recovering well.

• mendonca said:
    I had a Thai Green Curry, with basa, shrimp and tuna. Gotta feed them gains. 

Alright Diego P  ;)
  • edited July 2021
    Wouldn't say I'm panicking yet, but business is very slow for a squad that still needs another 9 or 10 players.

Expected another 3 or 4 in by now, but in Nigel Adkins & Steve Gallen we trust.
    Ok, I'm starting to panic a bit now.  Surely we'll see 1 or 2 signings this week????
  • Wouldn't say I'm panicking yet, but business is very slow for a squad that still needs another 9 or 10 players.

Expected another 3 or 4 in by now, but in Nigel Adkins & Steve Gallen we trust.
    Ok, I'm starting to panic a bit now.  Surely we'll see 1 or 2 signings this week????
    Apparently we have given up on signings and are going to field a team of 2nd year scholars or just shut the academy. 
  • Hoping for the best........................preparing for the worst.

I have a feeling that we are going to start the season with a squad weaker than what we finished with. Also waiting for the news that "Ronnie has looked sharp and committed in training so we feel we do not need to sign another striker"
  • Wow that must be a record 145 posts and not a single rumour 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Wow that must be a record 145 posts and not a single rumour 
    What, so you have counted every single one!!! utter devotion to the cause that is..
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!