Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• CH4RLTON said:
    Wow that must be a record 145 posts and not a single rumour 

It is rumoured that there could be another 145 before anything happens  :) .... starting now
  • edited July 2021
    From the O/S: "Kit sponsors: Charlton and Charlton Athletic Women’s kit sponsors for the 2021/22 season are set to be confirmed this week."

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60f4a3adc0a9e/key-timings-for-kit-reveal-kit-sponsor-and-ticketing?fbclid=IwAR33LBWouNB2gveUhQbghToYXIJHtdgoztXH8ZbA6USjXAVtqA6mhJfdOr4

Not a rumour but hopefully will calm a few jitters/put a plug on some of the doomsday nonsense about kit reveals or lack of sponsors.
  • edited July 2021
    Ok, the above original let's get this started post/thread has been unsuccessful.
    I'm wondering if this thread is under warranty and we can have a proper rumours thread, as this one is clearly defective. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Head coach Lee Johnson is expected to try and sign another central defender, while Charlie Wyke is yet to be replaced.

The head coach says a number of factors have created a challenging market, but insists the club's patience will be rewarded.

"We've got a bit to do, no doubt about it," he said, speaking after the pre-season win at Hearts.

"It has been a tough market and I think we've done exceptionally well with what we've done.

"You say three signings but I 100% see it as five with McGeady and O'Nien, because they were in the open market.

"But we still have a lot of work to do, we know that.

"We clearly need a left back, a right back. We have got players who can play there, but we don't want to take players away from their natural position. We know that.

It has been a tough market because you've got GBE to account for, which means foreign players that used to be available are not.

"Then you've got the Premier League purchases, if you like, from the U23s and the lads who've been out on loan. We're willing to pay fees for these players but they often come with extremely high wages and often aren't willing to take a drop.

"Then you've got the talented players from lower levels who now command higher fees because they're English, and we do the same with any of our young English players.

"The pool of players is then quite small. You've got to get the right ones and we will get them, no doubt about it."

• I forgot this is the first window without Freedom of Movement, which is mainly a restriction for EFL teams, as Premier League clubs can buy in the exempted group 
  • Let's not forget that Sunderland's owner is mega rich so money isn't an issue for them.

Sunderland and ourselves are taking our own approaches to this market while Wigan and Ipswich are going around outbidding each other to build a League One All-Stars side.

Only in May will we know who got it right and who got it wrong.
    It’s going to be interesting to see it play out!
  • edited July 2021
    https://www.mills-reeve.com/stand-alone-pages/football-and-brexit-faqs-on-the-2021-fa-gbe-rules/gbe-criteria-for-senior-players

It's no wonder we haven't signed anyone, we're probably still working on the criteria for players.
  • One hundred and eighty two new posts.

Fuck all said.

That's one hundred and eighty three now.
  • https://www.mills-reeve.com/stand-alone-pages/football-and-brexit-faqs-on-the-2021-fa-gbe-rules/gbe-criteria-for-senior-players

It's no wonder we haven't signed anyone, we're probably still working on the criteria for players.
    Rules written by the Premier League for the rest of football, they barely have any changes to deal with 
  • Sponsored links:

• That bit from Johnson about seeing O’Nien and McGeady as new signings is probably quite reflective of a lot of managers and how they feel about holding onto players out of contract.  
  • Let's not forget that Sunderland's owner is mega rich so money isn't an issue for them.

Sunderland and ourselves are taking our own approaches to this market while Wigan and Ipswich are going around outbidding each other to build a League One All-Stars side.

Only in May will we know who got it right and who got it wrong.
    That’s true Callum. It’s going to be a very interesting season. I’m glad that only two clubs have been stupid with money (I’m aware that others will disagree with that if they are the top two in May), and the rest in our league are being sensible and finding other ways to build the best team possible. 
  • Wigan now chasing Bailey Wright off Sunderland. Will be interesting to see how that turns out.
  • Rothko said:
    I forgot this is the first window without Freedom of Movement, which is mainly a restriction for EFL teams, as Premier League clubs can buy in the exempted group 
    Without doing any sort of research I'd say that League 1 squads are probably 95% made up with British players. 

I dont think not being able to pick up a player from Estonia, Belgium or Spain is the reason why we haven't signed that many players......
    In L1, other than Ronnie, I'm struggling to think of any players we signed from abroad, the network and Driessen stuff dried up once we were relegated. 
  • Rothko said:
    I forgot this is the first window without Freedom of Movement, which is mainly a restriction for EFL teams, as Premier League clubs can buy in the exempted group 
    Without doing any sort of research I'd say that League 1 squads are probably 95% made up with British players. 

I dont think not being able to pick up a player from Estonia, Belgium or Spain is the reason why we haven't signed that many players......
    We signed someone???

Shortest hiatus ever Golfie ;)
    Sorry.....just cant keep away.

It's a drug & I'm hooked  !!
    You could always ask the mods for a time out 😉
  • RedChaser said:
    Rothko said:

We signed someone???

Shortest hiatus ever Golfie ;)
    Sorry.....just cant keep away.

It's a drug & I'm hooked  !!
    You could always ask the mods for a time out 😉

• Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:

In L1, other than Ronnie, I'm struggling to think of any players we signed from abroad, the network and Driessen stuff dried up once we were relegated. 
    Alonso
  • Wouldn't say I'm panicking yet, but business is very slow for a squad that still needs another 9 or 10 players.

Expected another 3 or 4 in by now, but in Nigel Adkins & Steve Gallen we trust.
    Ok, I'm starting to panic a bit now.  Surely we'll see 1 or 2 signings this week????
    I know. Whatever are the recruitment team doing? It's Monday afternoon already and no signings.

It probably means nobody will be signed this week and we'll have to kick off against Sheff Weds including exactly half of the U23 team in the starting line up.

Golfie was right after all. :disappointed:

• Oggy Red said:
    Wouldn't say I'm panicking yet, but business is very slow for a squad that still needs another 9 or 10 players.

Ok, I'm starting to panic a bit now.  Surely we'll see 1 or 2 signings this week????
    I know. Whatever are the recruitment team doing? It's Monday afternoon already and no signings.

It probably means nobody will be signed this week and we'll have to kick off against Sheff Weds including exactly half of the U23 team in the starting line up.

We are bypassing the u23s and going straight for the U18s apparently. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Wouldn't say I'm panicking yet, but business is very slow for a squad that still needs another 9 or 10 players.

But who is to say Sheff Weds dont start with three quarters of their u23’s….as could much of our division given the lack of activity thus far
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:

We are bypassing the u23s and going straight for the U18s apparently. 
    Phew, that's a relief. I was getting worried for a minute.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!