Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Further to the comments about one or two being very close, you would have to say if they are joining you want them tied up by the end of the week.  Very close to the season now.  If they’re in the door by Friday, they get 2 full weeks of training etc 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I thought Cawley had ruled out Josh Sims? Decent enough player but not someone I remember us being linked with before. 

Perhaps he has an agent !
    The usual agent chaos! Sounds like there's quite a bit of that going around.
  • Just catching up on this thread and all I can work out is that we're signing Grant in Octobor.
  • A "few" players feeling under the weather according to the gaffa.

I wonder if this isn't necessarily hindering deals being worked on but maybe getting them over the line?

Has anyone seen Gallen this week? 
  • Vfrf said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    RedChaser said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I thought Cawley had ruled out Josh Sims? Decent enough player but not someone I remember us being linked with before. 

Why bring Sims in just to calm fans when we have a young lad Charlie Clayden know which one I would rather have in our team 

Okay I’ll bite 🙄. In the words of a famous tennis player ‘you cannot be serious’! I can’t recall Sims against us for Donny but he’s now 24, an England youth international with over 75 first team appearances for a few league clubs under his belt, over a third of those last season.

Clayden was plucked out of Orients disbanded youth team, aged 20 no league appearances, a late developer. Showed promise scoring in the first half Welling friendly who offered little competition. Not so good for the 2nd half against Dartford who offered a much sterner test. In fact I thought he should’ve mixed it up a bit rather than trying to be Roy of the Rovers. He’s got a lot to learn and a way to go if he is to get in the ‘team’ as you put it. 

Sims could do a job now, Clayden is one for the future and slowly introduced to the squad IMHO.

Absolutely agree with this. Elewere and Clayden have looked like good prospects but probably for now should be around the squad for League Cup and Papa John's Trophy games . 

We need players that can come in and start straight away whether that's Sims or any of the other wingers mentioned on this thread. 
    Agree on Clayden, Elerewe for me looks like somebody who could step in now - just like how Joe Gomez looked at that age.

I just wonder if we are going to have another season of Innis being in and out of the side if we need another senior RCB? 

Of course it would be fantastic if Elewere can step in , be interesting to see him against Reading at the weekend. 
  • MarcusH26 said:

Why bring Sims in just to calm fans when we have a young lad Charlie Clayden know which one I would rather have in our team 

This is the opposite extreme of moaning that TS should be getting on with signings rather than singing.

It’s a world where NA does something no other manager can, he takes decent prospects rather than proper signings and fires us to promotion.

No doubt Elewere and Roddy are defenders we need too, and Henry will become a regular in midfield alongside Morgan.
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Vfrf said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    RedChaser said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Okay I’ll bite 🙄. In the words of a famous tennis player ‘you cannot be serious’! I can’t recall Sims against us for Donny but he’s now 24, an England youth international with over 75 first team appearances for a few league clubs under his belt, over a third of those last season.

Clayden was plucked out of Orients disbanded youth team, aged 20 no league appearances, a late developer. Showed promise scoring in the first half Welling friendly who offered little competition. Not so good for the 2nd half against Dartford who offered a much sterner test. In fact I thought he should’ve mixed it up a bit rather than trying to be Roy of the Rovers. He’s got a lot to learn and a way to go if he is to get in the ‘team’ as you put it. 

Sims could do a job now, Clayden is one for the future and slowly introduced to the squad IMHO.

Absolutely agree with this. Elewere and Clayden have looked like good prospects but probably for now should be around the squad for League Cup and Papa John's Trophy games . 

We need players that can come in and start straight away whether that's Sims or any of the other wingers mentioned on this thread. 
    Agree on Clayden, Elerewe for me looks like somebody who could step in now - just like how Joe Gomez looked at that age.

I just wonder if we are going to have another season of Innis being in and out of the side if we need another senior RCB? 

Of course it would be fantastic if Elewere can step in , be interesting to see him against Reading at the weekend. 
    Certainly having seen Elerewe a few times now and having (whisper it) Gunter as 5th choice if necessary, I don't think CB is as high a priority as wingers, CM, LB or CF, but would like another due to the injury risks. Would like to see him start the Papa Johns. 
  • Vfrf said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    RedChaser said:
    MarcusH26 said:

It's a big comparison to Gomez, he was in our U18s at 14 and nearly played in an fa youth Cup tie until it was pointed out he wasn't old enough.  Everybody had heard of Gomez for years before he made his first team debut, the same with Parker and Defoe (I know he never did make his debut but).

I had never even heard of Elerewe before the Wigan game.

Very few players make an impact without playing any mens football. Especially at 17/18.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Vfrf said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    RedChaser said:
    MarcusH26 said:

We need another RCB either way. Elewere has potential but he's too young to gamble on, and especially if he's going to be in/out/doing the hokey-cokey depending on Innis' fitness 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Vfrf said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    RedChaser said:
    MarcusH26 said:

It's a big comparison to Gomez, he was in our U18s at 14 and nearly played in an fa youth Cup tie until it was pointed out he wasn't old enough.  Everybody had heard of Gomez for years before he made his first team debut, the same with Parker and Defoe (I know he never did make his debut but).

Very few players make an impact without playing any mens football. Especially at 17/18.
    It's a fair point but not coming through our setup from a young age doesn't take away his ability as we see it today. It depends on what the scouts and Nigel think of him I suppose. Knowing Nigel's preference for allowing young players to shine, he's certainly shining the brightest in pre-season.
  • edited July 2021
    thenewbie said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Vfrf said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    RedChaser said:
    MarcusH26 said:

We need another RCB either way. Elewere has potential but he's too young to gamble on, and especially if he's going to be in/out/doing the hokey-cokey depending on Innis' fitness 
    Yeah this where I'm at. Not a fan of us getting to a position where you're playing Gunter there because of injuries. Would rather we have 4 senior CBs and Barker/Elewere learning in the Papa John's/LC .

Winger and CM hopefully get sorted soon. Not quite sure what we do with Left Back , could be one we use a loan on. 
  • Any rumours today? I see CAFC media team have started early talking about JFCs recovery so hopefully loads of content to share!
  • Balancing act with Elerewe. Deciding if we need to nail him down to a long contract (gamble) v allowing him to get out of contract and be advised by his agent not to sign another one with us. The latter seems to be the way of the world now. How can you tell if a player is a diamond or a shiny piece of glass at age 17. 
    Thing is, contracts mean naff all anyway. I don't think the cost would be particularly high for a 3 year pro deal. If you did that for 5 players every summer it would only take one to progress in the way you hope for it to be cost effective. 
  • Vfrf said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Vfrf said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    RedChaser said:
    MarcusH26 said:

It's a fair point but not coming through our setup from a young age doesn't take away his ability as we see it today. It depends on what the scouts and Nigel think of him I suppose. Knowing Nigel's preference for allowing young players to shine, he's certainly shining the brightest in pre-season.

Agreed, he looks very comfortable on the ball . 

However I’d like to see him up against an old war horse type centre forward to assess how he copes with the physicality of men’s league football. Hopefully he’ll be given that opportunity v Reading and or Palarse to continue his development.

One thing is for sure he couldn’t have a better mentor than Jason Pearce able to teach him the tricks of the trade.

• edited July 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Vfrf said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Vfrf said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    RedChaser said:
    MarcusH26 said:

However I’d like to see him up against an old war horse type centre forward to assess how he copes with the physicality of men’s league football. Hopefully he’ll be given that opportunity v Reading and or Palarse to continue his development.

One thing is for sure he couldn’t have a better mentor than Jason Pearce able to teach him the tricks of the trade.

Agree with that mate, in my eyes he's still un-tested but looking at how he held off that Welling ST showed some good strength. It'd be a different challenge against Wyke/Piggott of course, under no illusions about that - I expect he'll get plenty of minutes against the Premier/Championship sides.
  • Sponsored links:

• Vfrf said:
    RedChaser said:
    Vfrf said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Vfrf said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    RedChaser said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Agree with that mate, in my eyes he's still un-tested but looking at how he held off that Welling ST showed some good strength. It'd be a difference challenge against Wyke/Piggott of course, under no illusions about that - I expect he'll get plenty of minutes against the Premier/Championship sides.
    One of the big things, for me, this season is how we use our u23 squad and the games.  For a while now our u23 teams have been made up of average players in their late teens early 20s with the occasional diamond.  We now have a massive array of 17 and 18 year olds, which we haven't had for a while.  Probably since the Cousins/Poyet/Phillips group?

I would much rather see player like Deji and Henry play with players like Pearce and Watson and really focus on developing first team players than older ones who are unlikely to ever make it.

Is it only me that thinks Elerewe sounds like what Jonathan Ross would call him

• I think the next step for Deji will be a loan, even if an old fashioned 1-3 month period. 
  • edited July 2021
    mendonca said:
    I think the next step for Deji will be a loan, even if an old fashioned 1-3 month period. 
    Has he even played for our u23s yet?  That must be the next step, when it comes. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Perhaps he has an agent !
    The usual agent chaos! Sounds like there's quite a bit of that going around.
    I was being a tad sarcastic. 
    My apologies , I sometimes completely miss sarcasm in text form. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:
    I think the next step for Deji will be a loan, even if an old fashioned 1-3 month period. 
    Has he even played for our u23s yet?  That must be the next step, when it comes. 
    Agreed, he looks good and definitely COULD have first team potential yet but he's no Gomez. He's not there yet. Bring him on gradually has to be the safer, fairer option.

I imagine he'll be one of the ones who gets to train with the senior squad and that will do him a lot of good to have the likes of Pearce showing him the ropes.
  • edited July 2021
    Bournesnr said:
    Think people are getting carried away saying play Elerewer he’s far too young at the moment, look at Barker last year people called  for him to be played regularly (after we were forced to play him) and I think the early exposure set him back a bit. 
    I wouldn't say carried away is the correct term, I've been watching football for 20+ years. I simply think he has the right toolkit and mentality to make the step up. Maybe he will and maybe he won't but he is a completely different kettle of fish to Barker. Barker looked ok, Elerewe looks fantastic.
    I'd only start giving him game time on a 3 year contract mind.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:
    Definitely. U23's with the view to a 'work experience' loan in January. 

I think we need to utilise our relationship with Welling and Dartford a bit more. With Covid hitting these clubs are going to struggle to build competitive squads. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we just send them the odd player for a game or two. If they've got small squads it's got to be worth chucking them a player for a month if they have an injury or two. 
    Dartford especially, was impressed with how they're playing these days.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:
    Definitely. U23's with the view to a 'work experience' loan in January. 

I think we need to utilise our relationship with Welling and Dartford a bit more. With Covid hitting these clubs are going to struggle to build competitive squads. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we just send them the odd player for a game or two. If they've got small squads it's got to be worth chucking them a player for a month if they have an injury or two. 
    “Work Experience Player” means a Player whose registration is held by a competition other than the Competition and is registered under a Scholarship. The Club taking the Player on work experience will register the Player Non Contract with a league in which they take part to fulfil the football element of the Scholarship, not the educational part."

“Youth Loan” means a loan transfer for a period of no fewer than 28 days of a Player who is a qualifying Player within the terms of the Rules." 

I believe if you use the work experience loan, which would apply to Deli, due to his age, he could still train with us and play in age related games but could play for a" mens team" on a Saturday. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!