Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited July 2021
    I've heard that Karlan Grant might be coming back.

Sorry guys my source has to remain secret for now but I have every reason to believe him 
    Offer on the table from Sunderland though, just got to hope he wants to return to London. 
    Would he ever want to come back to us after the ‘she said no’ stick he got away at Huddersfield? 🙄
  • I've heard that Karlan Grant might be coming back.

Sorry guys my source has to remain secret for now but I have every reason to believe him 
    I thought this was a joke?
    Great news if true but I can’t see it 🤣
  • Addick_8 said:
    I've heard that Karlan Grant might be coming back.

I thought this was a joke?
    Great news if true but I can’t see it 🤣
    It is a joke
    Yep Exiled put it out there tongue in cheek but could have chosen a more  creditable candidate 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• That will go down well with supporters! Peter Odemwingie swiping right, jumping in his car but then having to go back to boos from the fans. 
  • edited July 2021
    Someone get us signed up as Chelsea FC so we can rope in all the best talent, until they turn up in Harvey Gardens and realise they’ve been had.
  • This winger supposedly signing in the next few days, I’m predicting it will be Soloman-Otabor
  • This winger supposedly signing in the next few days, I’m predicting it will be Soloman-Otabor
    He failed a medical few weeks back and rejected reduced contract 

Hope not! Doesn't look like he's exactly set the league on fire.. although maybe he's just been played out of position in a bad Wigan side but I'm not enthused either way.

Let's hope it's Sims.
  • I doubt whoscored.com is frequented by scouts on a regular basis mind. 
  • I doubt whoscored.com is frequented by scouts on a regular basis mind. 

It just takes game stats (aka fact) and gives strengths and weaknesses based on performance.. can't remember the last time I looked up a player and didn't see any strengths and such bad weaknesses listed.
  • For reference here is Sims based on his actual performances:

• Jac_52 said:
    I doubt whoscored.com is frequented by scouts on a regular basis mind. 

It just takes game stats (aka fact) and gives strengths and weaknesses based on performance.. can't remember the last time I looked up a player and didn't see any strengths and such bad weaknesses listed.
    How would it measure defensive contribution? What is "likes to do layoffs"?
  • Jac_52 said:

By looking at defensive stats like tackles, tackle success, interceptions, clearances, dribbled passed etc. I imagine. They list all the stats there per 90 and they've got a lot of them

Christ knows how they have calculated "likes to do layoffs" maybe it's linked to pass length or something.

What I can tell you is it's probably quite easy to guess how they have arrived at weaknesses such as "passing" "finishing" and keeping hold of the ball.

• Sponsored links:

• Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:

By looking at defensive stats like tackles, tackle success, interceptions, clearances, dribbled passed etc. I imagine. They list all the stats there per 90 and they've got a lot of them

Christ knows how they have calculated "likes to do layoffs" maybe it's linked to pass length or something.

What I can tell you is it's probably quite easy to guess how they have arrived at weaknesses such as "passing" "finishing" and keeping hold of the ball.

Certainly don't disagree with that, generally, although finishing is always a weird one as I've seen different sites have different stats, as some differentiate shots from 5 yards compared to 25 and some don't. Someone scoring 1 from 50 shots isn't a good finisher if all those shots are in the box but if they are from 30 yards it's not an accurate representation. 

I'm a fan of using data but I think there is so much more to take into account. Where that player is playing, who for etc. 

As an example, I just went on whoscored.com and looked at Van Dijk. It listed tackling as a weakness, same for Harry Maguire. It also said Cristiano Ronaldo couldn't cross.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:

Certainly don't disagree with that, generally, although finishing is always a weird one as I've seen different sites have different stats, as some differentiate shots from 5 yards compared to 25 and some don't. Someone scoring 1 from 50 shots isn't a good finisher if all those shots are in the box but if they are from 30 yards it's not an accurate representation. 

I'm a fan of using data but I think there is so much more to take into account. Where that player is playing, who for etc. 

As an example, I just went on whoscored.com and looked at Van Dijk. It listed tackling as a weakness, same for Harry Maguire. It also said Cristiano Ronaldo couldn't cross.

Hah yeah that is flawed.. they shouldn't weight it on tackle quantity if that is what they're doing.....ALTHOUGH looking at the stats VVD had 52% tackle success his last full season and Maguire had 59% so maybe that is bad for a CB? Jason Pearce had 71% (taken these from Fotmob app as couldn't see it on whoscored).

Ronaldo also only made 12 accurate crosses last year at 19%.. wouldn't call it a weakness personally but they've obviously decided that isn't very good.

Interesting one about dribbling is Solomon-Otobor makes more dribbles per match than Sims (1.3vs1) according to whoscored but Sims has that listed as a strength. Couldn't find dribble success on whoscored but they must take it into account as from elsewhere Sims has 60% dribble success Vs Otobors 47% (Ronaldo was 61%).
  • But then I think crossing accuracy is determined on whether it reaches one of your players so again the striker plays a massive role in this. Our crossing accuracy would have been a lot better in the second half of last season because of Stockley than in the first that's for sure. 

Interesting tackle successes though, I get those numbers aren't brilliant for CB's but I'm not sure it's a weakness for VVD especially! Dribbling interesting too, without knowing what constitutes a dribble, those figures look low. Millar did about 7 per game, admittedly with varying degrees of success!

I think sites like these vary widely in popularity, I'm all for using them but personally wouldn't say no to a signing based on them either. 
  • But then I think crossing accuracy is determined on whether it reaches one of your players so again the striker plays a massive role in this. Our crossing accuracy would have been a lot better in the second half of last season because of Stockley than in the first that's for sure. 

Interesting tackle successes though, I get those numbers aren't brilliant for CB's but I'm not sure it's a weakness for VVD especially! Dribbling interesting too, without knowing what constitutes a dribble, those figures look low. Millar did about 7 per game, admittedly with varying degrees of success!

I think sites like these vary widely in popularity, I'm all for using them but personally wouldn't say no to a signing based on them either. 
    Absolutely if we signed Otobor I would back him and trust that we feel he's the right player for us.. but based on respective performances last season on paper I would prefer we signed Sims. Maybe we'll sign both!

Just looked at Millar and his dribbles succeeded is 39%!!! (1.8 per game). Felt like he made a lot more like you say so definitely stats aren't everything. Maybe we're missing a "ball carried" stat or something, or else the definition of successful dribble means beating a man and finding a team mate after.
  • I thought Cawley had ruled out Josh Sims? Decent enough player but not someone I remember us being linked with before. 

• It’s a shame more clubs don’t take a harder line against making agents richer. They’ve been sucking money out of the game by doing very little for far too long. 

In all US sports the PLAYERS pay the agents and all they get is 5% of contracts and 10% of endorsements. How hard is that? Football owners in Europe have no balls. They could fix this in one afternoon if they tried.
    Chalk and cheese.

One country (bar Canada), much more centralised control, commissioners, franchises

While what you suggest would be great you'd have to get agreement across multiple leagues (three just in the UK) plus every other country.

Also, the system suits richer clubs, they don't want a more level playing field so they won't agree it 

As we've seen, in the UK the clubs, not the leagues, have the power.

Even the rules as they exist now are widely ignored because owners and managers want the players and will pay agents to get them 

How did that power work out for the 'big 6' when fans went mental and the Premier league threatened to kick them out if they joined the super league?

Pretty sure executives at those clubs all ended up removed (told to resign) from senior positions in PL committees as well.
  • It’s a shame more clubs don’t take a harder line against making agents richer. They’ve been sucking money out of the game by doing very little for far too long. 

In all US sports the PLAYERS pay the agents and all they get is 5% of contracts and 10% of endorsements. How hard is that? Football owners in Europe have no balls. They could fix this in one afternoon if they tried.
    Chalk and cheese.

One country (bar Canada), much more centralised control, commissioners, franchises

While what you suggest would be great you'd have to get agreement across multiple leagues (three just in the UK) plus every other country.

Also, the system suits richer clubs, they don't want a more level playing field so they won't agree it 

As we've seen, in the UK the clubs, not the leagues, have the power.

Even the rules as they exist now are widely ignored because owners and managers want the players and will pay agents to get them 

How did that power work out for the 'big 6' when fans went mental and the Premier league threatened to kick them out if they joined the super league?

Pretty sure executives at those clubs all ended up removed (told to resign) from senior positions in PL committees as well.
    Yeah but the PL did bugger all, because they couldn't.  The clubs forced them to resign, not the PL.  If "the clubs" ask them to come back they will and there isn't anything the PL could do about it.

A lot of criticism the EPL, the EFL and the sometimes the FA get is unfair because its the clubs with the power, they make the rules.  Some of it is perfectly fair. 
  • edited July 2021
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:

There is a problem with data in that a sidewards pass or a pass to somebody in a worse position can in some cases count the same as an incisive pass that opens teams up. As this sort of pass usually carries more risk, it can make a player who is more effective look less effective. The solution is to use data along with judgement, or have advanced software that differentiates, as the top teams possess.
  • edited July 2021
    MarcusH26 said:
    I thought Cawley had ruled out Josh Sims? Decent enough player but not someone I remember us being linked with before. 

I don’t think he ruled it out necessarily.

Cawley said he’d been told Sims was training with Pompey. A few hours later, one of the Pompey reporters said Sims wasn’t training with them. And nothing has been said since.

You’d have to question who Cawley’s source was on Sims location. And what their motive was for sharing incorrect info.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!