Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited July 2021
    Maccn05 said:
    iaitch said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Nigel will be looking very silly next May when Ipswich celebrate thier league title win at the Valley and we finish 9th.

I fully expect to see a team of untried 18 YO's and more loans next season. that's the narrative the club are pushing... didn't we also say the reliance on loans would stop with TS in charge?

If TS isn't prepared to spend then look forward to another two seasons in L1 and another £20m in losses. Best to spend and give yourself the best chance of getting out of this horrible league.

I can understand the impatience growing a bit more when Ipswich & Wigan are spending and signing players that are proven to be great in this league, but you do have to bare in mind we are still in a much stronger position than we were at the start of last season, and that’s just through having Sandgaard as our owner.

There’s absolutely no way this club would even have been able to compete to sign Stockley, MacGillivray, Dobson & Famewo (on loan but with option to buy) at the beginning of the last season with the desperate state we were in.

We have a few weeks to go still before the season starts, we will need loan players, and not all of them will work out but I think every League One team will be bringing in at least some loan players to fill the gaps in the squad.

This is a marathon not a sprint, we should at least trust that Sandgaard & Adkins will get a handful of good players in before the end of the window and that they’re not sitting around doing nothing.
    How many more years are we going to keep saying ‘but last year we almost went out of business’ or it’s ok to be crap because ‘Thomas saved us’

I don’t live in the past! and I want success. Wigan and Bolton have been in the same boat and seem to have been able to create instant success so why can’t Thomas & NA.

I believe he won’t spend and and the squad will be full of untried kids and loans. That’s my opinion, and I my opinion it will only get us another year in L1.

Could you tell me what success Wigan have had lately?

Could have been better written. Wigan immediate success in the transfer market since the new owenership and Bolton got promoted at the first attempt last season 
    But we have no idea if that's true. We can see they have definitely signed players but we don't know that they will be successful yet. Players can be outstanding at one club and flop at another. There could be injuries that rule them out for months.

Expense =/= success. And if the manager can't get the best formation or tactics or doesn't get the squad to come together then having the 11 best players won't make any difference.
  • In The House Bored GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It's a long way to 5 o'clock.  I apologise in advance.
    Is it allowed to say I could find plenty of ways to help fill her time? 
    She can start by going down to DFS and buying a more comfortable sofa  ;)
  • In The House Bored GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It's a long way to 5 o'clock.  I apologise in advance.
    Is it allowed to say I could find plenty of ways to help fill her time? 
    Since when has it become a prerequisite to gain permission before putting on a post... but feel free to enlighten us...... B)
  • Surely we are in a better place than 12 months ago, irrespective of who our 'rivals' are signing?
    Precisely. Our starting XI heading into the first game of this season (as it is now, undoubtedly we’ll have more bodies in before then) is:

Macgillivray
    Matthews Inniss Famewo Purrington
    Gilbey Dobson Morgan
    Washington Stockley DJ

Last season it was:

Amos
    Barker Oshilaja Pratley Purrington
    Gilbey Lapslie JFC
    Washington Bonne Doughty

And that’s just the differences in starting 11, nevermind all the off field issues. Yet despite this, and also despite the fact we had a sub par manager for 80% of the season, we missed out on the play offs by one point. Chill out people.

A bit disingenuous I think.

At the start of last season we had owners with no money, were under a soft embargo & couldnt really sign anyone.

At the start of this season we have an owner who wants promotion & (apparently) has funds.

The starting line up you start for this season includes  players who are either not fit to start a pre-season game or are not up to speed fitness wise. Who knows if they will be in 3 weeks time.

For a full comparison it's best to use players currently fit & playing pre-season matches. That would include either Pearce or Deji mk 2 at the back, Roddy at rght back and Claydon out wide.

And anyone saying that Henry is a decent substitute for Fraser need their bumps felt.

• Jonniesta said:
    Think I'm right in saying we're off the back of 1 defeat in 15. Stabilised the team, stabilised the accounts, saved us from the leeches, brought in the women's team, revamped the medical centre, opened a new training centre for the women's team, brought in a highly qualified manager, let go a lot of the driftwood, kept it open and refreshingly positive. Yet apparently by making an overly ambitious comment about where he'd like the team to be in 1/2/5 years, and because the squad isn't filled as quickly as the pampered masses were hoping, he's fair game for criticism? F'ing disgraceful. 
    Yeah but what have the Romans done for us :)
  • Pretty gutted by that was hoping we could get him

ipswich are doing what we did in the powell title winning year snapping up the leagues top talent them and wigan deffo leading the way atm time for us to step up and make some marquee signings to excite the fans and show some intent !
    Don't hold your breath on that
  • Redhenry said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Think I'm right in saying we're off the back of 1 defeat in 15. Stabilised the team, stabilised the accounts, saved us from the leeches, brought in the women's team, revamped the medical centre, opened a new training centre for the women's team, brought in a highly qualified manager, let go a lot of the driftwood, kept it open and refreshingly positive. Yet apparently by making an overly ambitious comment about where he'd like the team to be in 1/2/5 years, and because the squad isn't filled as quickly as the pampered masses were hoping, he's fair game for criticism? F'ing disgraceful. 
    Big hint there from ITK @redhenry that we're signing someone from either Roma or Lazio.

Or maybe a popular front man from Judea?
    @Dazzler21, take your choice there two for the price of one B)
  • Redhenry said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Big hint there from ITK @redhenry that we're signing someone from either Roma or Lazio.

Or maybe a popular front man from Judea?
    @Dazzler21, take your choice there two for the price of one B)
    Judea included parts of modern day Jordan.......  I(be) am just saying. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Sorry but fuck me, on the last game of the season with Hull celebrating behind him, Adkins (Mr Positive) turned and said "that will be us next year".  Now people are using it to bash him? 
     Mental.

I love his positivity, rather that than the dourness of some previous managers. 

When he said it I didn't think "right, well that is a locked on fact I will now buy a season ticket", I thought, "Great, ambition, positivity, love that".

Can we please stop quoting his words as though if we are not Champions he has lied and let us down.  It is just pathetic.

Sorry for the rant - it's hot! 
    He could have said, " Hopefully or I want that to be us next year ". I took it to be celebrating promotion, not being champions.
    STOP FUCKING WHINING OVER WHAT A MANAGER SAID TO CONSOLE HIS PLAYERS
    DFTT
  • I'd have liked to have seen more signings by now.

But that hasn't happened.

It may still.

It may not.

Football seasons are nine months long.

We can start badly and finish well

We can start well and finish badly

We can be bad or good all season.

We can be mediocre all season.

I hope we do well and get promoted.

I accept that might not happen.

That is all 

LLLBH
    Pure unadulterated realism.

We'll have none of that here!
  • Don’t believe how many people are calling out NA and TS on what they said last season . We all want promotion - just let them get on with their job. 

Yes you are right but you have to take into account that we are missing out on all those players that are apparently now world beaters when they was last season whilst playing for mediocre league one teams. Its pathetic. These are the people that would hail it as brilliant if we spunked £1m of someone else's money on Tucker and would then be screaming he is shite when he has a bad game lol
    Like kids in the build up to Xmas 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Sorry but fuck me, on the last game of the season with Hull celebrating behind him, Adkins (Mr Positive) turned and said "that will be us next year".  Now people are using it to bash him? 
     Mental.

When he said it I didn't think "right, well that is a locked on fact I will now buy a season ticket", I thought, "Great, ambition, positivity, love that".

Can we please stop quoting his words as though if we are not Champions he has lied and let us down.  It is just pathetic.

He could have said, " Hopefully or I want that to be us next year ". I took it to be celebrating promotion, not being champions.
    Is there evidence he said it to console his players? Sounds like a rumour to me.... On the list you go!  ;)
  • I want to know how all these experts know we arnt going to piss the league before a ball has been kicked ?
  • AndyG said:
    I want to know how all these experts know we arnt going to piss the league before a ball has been kicked ?
    Because NA mentioned the academy so it means we’ll get a few loans at most then fill the remaining gaps in the squad with youth players.

They’ve decided our lack of activity recently is proof that this is the strategy.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:
     Mental.

DFTT
    Must learn not to feed them...
  • bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:
     Mental.

DFTT
    DFTT2
  • Scoham said:
    AndyG said:
    I want to know how all these experts know we arnt going to piss the league before a ball has been kicked ?
    Because NA mentioned the academy so it means we’ll get a few loans at most then fill the remaining gaps in the squad with youth players.

They’ve decided our lack of activity recently is proof that this is the strategy.
    Ok. But that doesnt mean we wont win the league yet does it ? I'm sure we will have a stronger squad than last year and missed out due to 4 months of total nonsense. There are a few young players that dont look out of place and I personally would be happy giving them a run than over pay for average league one players
  • bobmunro said:
    Don’t believe how many people are calling out NA and TS on what they said last season . We all want promotion - just let them get on with their job. 

It's being called out by people who think positive messages in football should be read as 'promises' - and in doing so show total naivety. 

Maybe they can sue to reclaim their season ticket money on the basis of false representation of the product.

Laughable, I know! 
    I don’t think the owner and manager were making promises, but they were setting expectations. 
  • Has somebody actually said we are not going to sign anymore players or something? What is going on this sudden spoilt blow up of overactions, based purley on what other teams are doing and not focused on our own efforts
  • edited July 2021
    Addick_8 said:
    I think Morgan will be like a new signing this year. Got a feeling this will be the start of some really good years in his Charlton career. I'd also like to see Henry, Venning's in the mix throughout the season. That's 3 good young midfielders we have. I know everyone wants signings which I completely agree but if we can give 2/3 more perms in, couple loans and really blood our youth this year I'd love that. Plus, if a couple youngsters make a serious leap forward (Morgan) we will be more than ok. Give me that over pumping 10K a week on strikers from fellow league 1 clubs who failed to even make a playoff final.

I really do think we'll be ok.
    Squad numbers are limited - you need players in there who will be in or around the team not learning their trade. 
  • I want an ITK rumour pleeeaaase
  • AndyG said:
    Scoham said:
    AndyG said:

Ok. But that doesnt mean we wont win the league yet does it ? I'm sure we will have a stronger squad than last year and missed out due to 4 months of total nonsense. There are a few young players that dont look out of place and I personally would be happy giving them a run than over pay for average league one players
    Of course not, I’m sure it won’t be as bad as that.

Whether it’s enough to win us promotion we’ll see.

I still think we’ll see at least 5 more signings, a mixture of permanents and loans. We’ll give a few young players a chance, but when it comes to league games I don’t see that being more than a couple at a time.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!