Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Jonniesta said:
    Think I'm right in saying we're off the back of 1 defeat in 15. Stabilised the team, stabilised the accounts, saved us from the leeches, brought in the women's team, revamped the medical centre, opened a new training centre for the women's team, brought in a highly qualified manager, let go a lot of the driftwood, kept it open and refreshingly positive. Yet apparently by making an overly ambitious comment about where he'd like the team to be in 1/2/5 years, and because the squad isn't filled as quickly as the pampered masses were hoping, he's fair game for criticism? F'ing disgraceful. 
    You sound like Boris moaning that not everyone is supporting  him after he fails though deliver on  promises.

It is simple.  People are grateful but they had hopes raised and the response was 9,000 season  tickets. 

It is wrong to mislead or over egg promises.  People will feel  they are let down. 

I would buy a season ticket anyway. However we are way short of a viable squad and time IS running out as is the choices available.  We all know the better players in this division.  One of them DJ. 
    We do need more . Too many young players are not the answer apparently. 
    What's misleading exactly? Thomas said he want's us to be in the premiership in 5 years - we are currently over 3 weeks before his first full season as owner. 

I find it utterly staggering how many adults on this forum are getting seemingly aggrieved due to an ambitious comment our owner made, and we've not even kicked a ball in anger yet.

Try the following. 

1) Next year we are going to storm this league.

2) Next year that will be us celebrating like Hull, who win the league. 

3) We will make a marquee signing( I think was said too, or misquoted to
    me )

If that were true I don't see the full intent yet to be honest. I don't know who we failed to get except Graham from Gillingham and Solomon , ex Wigan. 

That is why people are complaining. 

We are 3 weeks from ko of the season. 
    We’re also over 6 weeks away from the transfer window closing. We’d all like to see more done by now and TS, NA etc would agree with that, but there’s still time to significantly improve the squad.
  • edited July 2021
    I'll have money on either Ipswitch or Wigan not going up. Throwing money left right and centre doesn't always work. 
    If we come back to this end of the season, I will be brave and say Wigan will not go up.
  • Addick_8 said:
    I'll have money on either Ipswitch or Wigan not going up. Throwing money left right and centre doesn't always work. 
    If we come back to this end of the season, I will put my head on a block and saying Wigan will not go up.
    Its not worth that....
  • Not have been 
  • Jonniesta said:
    Think I'm right in saying we're off the back of 1 defeat in 15. Stabilised the team, stabilised the accounts, saved us from the leeches, brought in the women's team, revamped the medical centre, opened a new training centre for the women's team, brought in a highly qualified manager, let go a lot of the driftwood, kept it open and refreshingly positive. Yet apparently by making an overly ambitious comment about where he'd like the team to be in 1/2/5 years, and because the squad isn't filled as quickly as the pampered masses were hoping, he's fair game for criticism? F'ing disgraceful. 
    You sound like Boris moaning that not everyone is supporting  him after he fails though deliver on  promises.

It is simple.  People are grateful but they had hopes raised and the response was 9,000 season  tickets. 

It is wrong to mislead or over egg promises.  People will feel  they are let down. 

I would buy a season ticket anyway. However we are way short of a viable squad and time IS running out as is the choices available.  We all know the better players in this division.  One of them DJ. 
    We do need more . Too many young players are not the answer apparently. 
    What's misleading exactly? Thomas said he want's us to be in the premiership in 5 years - we are currently over 3 weeks before his first full season as owner. 

I find it utterly staggering how many adults on this forum are getting seemingly aggrieved due to an ambitious comment our owner made, and we've not even kicked a ball in anger yet.

Try the following. 

1) Next year we are going to storm this league.

2) Next year that will be us celebrating like Hull, who win the league. 

3) We will make a marquee signing( I think was said too, or misquoted to
    me )

If that were true I don't see the full intent yet to be honest. I don't know who we failed to get except Graham from Gillingham and Solomon , ex Wigan. 

That is why people are complaining. 

We are 3 weeks from ko of the season. 
     Exactly 3 weeks and 2 days, also known as nearly 7 weeks til the end of the transfer window.

If we need the full 7 weeks to get our squad built and to be in/around autos come 1st January and again the whole cycle to 30th April, that's just fine with me.
  • Sponsored links:

• DFTT
    No idea what this means, but i think you can get cream for it...
    It means 'don't fancy this thread'. It indicates that Henry is not going to be posting here again 
  • I'll be happy to get Williams in. He is high end League 1, low end Championship. Apologies for starting that one up again.  Defensively, I feel we are not too bad. Morgan, I am expecting to be a bigger player for us and start to fulfil the potential that is there. Losing Aneke is basically losing 15 goals and power that  can unsettle defenders. So we need to find those goals or more from elsewhere.

We could probably fill the gaps we need with some high end loanees. It is a concern that Ipswich and Wigan look like they are doing a decent job. If you say it isn't, you are not worth listening to due to your glasses being far too rose tinted. But I think the foundations are there to the extent that a few of the right additions and we ought to be up there. Of course, the best thing is not to assume they will happen or assume they won't. We will make signings and we need to judge them on what they are. 
  • If we sign a couple of half decent perms and get 3 or 4 good loans we will probably have a good chance at the play offs which would give us about a 15% chance of promotion.  We will be in exactly the same position next summer with half the squad out of contract and still in league 1.  Thomas will also be about 7 million more in the red.

If we sign 3 or 4 more players on perms of a similar quality to Stockley, on 3 year contracts, AND 3 or 4 high quality loans we will be in with a shout of automatic promotion, failing that a good chance of winning the play offs.  So maybe as high as 50% chance of promotion.  If if we just miss out we will have something to build on.  It will still cost Thomas a few quid but he knows that. 

Not investing in a team that's got a good chance of going up is a false economy, no matter how many pet memberships you can flog.  Thomas knows that. 

We will sign the players we need, and Adkins wants. It might not happen until later in August but it will happen. 

• edited July 2021
    Ideally, you want to get it done early to get the team to gel, but it isn't always possible. Loanees are generally late because the best ones have the possibility of not going on loan and are generally late decisions. We do have a good track record with developing loanees and that and maybe a bit of money could get us a few gems. I personally thought Millar was a gem. A real handful for League One defenders.

Gallen will have a good idea what is out there and a possibility for us and this is something that is absolutely required to be hush hush until it happens.
  • I think Morgan will be like a new signing this year. Got a feeling this will be the start of some really good years in his Charlton career. I'd also like to see Henry, Venning's in the mix throughout the season. That's 3 good young midfielders we have. I know everyone wants signings which I completely agree but if we can give 2/3 more perms in, couple loans and really blood our youth this year I'd love that. Plus, if a couple youngsters make a serious leap forward (Morgan) we will be more than ok. Give me that over pumping 10K a week on strikers from fellow league 1 clubs who failed to even make a playoff final.

I really do think we'll be ok.
  • It’s bloody boring now…

I get that perhaps our targets aren’t being able to come yet due to hold ups in the league etc , but at least go and get a few ‘planB/C’ players! 

Squad looks Smaller and weaker as the days go on ffs 
  • Time to ramp up hostilities.

Vennings >>> Fraser

;)
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m confident we’ll sign atleast one more between now and end of the window.
  • edited July 2021
    I think Vennings and Henry would be a bonus and we are best not letting our expectations run away with us. Morgan, absolutely. This is his time if he wants to fulfil his potential and not if he wants to remain a lower league player. We know he has it in him and now it is down to him. The help he needs is to be backed as our play maker by Adkins.
  • The game at the valley Fraser is MOM.
    We would love to have him in our team was the consensus of Cafc fans.

In the away game I personally thought MK Dons over passed and made it quite easy for us to get in our defensive shape. Pratley did a decent job negating Fraser's skill.

Ipswich wouldn't have bought Fraser because of the two games he played against them last season. Yes, it may start the process of monitoring for a potential transfer but he would've been watched on dozens of occasions by the club in case he was available in a window of opportunity.
  • Croydon said:
    There's a certain section of Charlton twitter that seems to want to stay in an eternal state of negativity. 
    It is probably best to stay in the middle as a virtual state of positivity can be annoying too. We haven't finished yet and can judge it all when we have.
  • I think the nearer Henry is to the first team (and mens football), the further forward be will need to play. A few of the blockbuster passes can lose you possession in dangerous areas and this is a way most managers negate this with the younger players coming through the ranks.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!