Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Jonniesta said:
    Think I'm right in saying we're off the back of 1 defeat in 15. Stabilised the team, stabilised the accounts, saved us from the leeches, brought in the women's team, revamped the medical centre, opened a new training centre for the women's team, brought in a highly qualified manager, let go a lot of the driftwood, kept it open and refreshingly positive. Yet apparently by making an overly ambitious comment about where he'd like the team to be in 1/2/5 years, and because the squad isn't filled as quickly as the pampered masses were hoping, he's fair game for criticism? F'ing disgraceful. 
    You sound like Boris moaning that not everyone is supporting  him after he fails though deliver on  promises.

It is simple.  People are grateful but they had hopes raised and the response was 9,000 season  tickets. 

It is wrong to mislead or over egg promises.  People will feel  they are let down. 

I would buy a season ticket anyway. However we are way short of a viable squad and time IS running out as is the choices available.  We all know the better players in this division.  One of them DJ. 
    We do need more . Too many young players are not the answer apparently. 
    What's misleading exactly? Thomas said he want's us to be in the premiership in 5 years - we are currently over 3 weeks before his first full season as owner. 

I find it utterly staggering how many adults on this forum are getting seemingly aggrieved due to an ambitious comment our owner made, and we've not even kicked a ball in anger yet.

Why would you only buy a ST if you thought we were guaranteed success? Surely you'd buy one and support the team anyway. 
  • Addick_8 said:
    I'll have money on either Ipswitch or Wigan not going up. Throwing money left right and centre doesn't always work. 
    If we come back to this end of the season, I will be brave and say Wigan will not go up.

Spending money can show ambition BUT it depends on how it is spent.  Hopefully our seemingly cautious approach will lead to success.
    Sandgaard has made all the right noises so far, we need to leave him alone.  The proof will be in the next two transfer windows to see what players come in.
  • Croydon said:
    There's a certain section of Charlton twitter that seems to want to stay in an eternal state of negativity. 
    I think people are just bored tbh. Euros ended in disappointment, other clubs signing decent players, no one new to have a look at in the pre-season games, no new kit out etc etc

I don’t feel like participating in it but I get why people are bored and a bit frustrated. Just ignore it until we make a couple of signings. 

At the very least id like our first team in place by the Fulham game in 16 days time. We’ve wasted a huge amount of pre-season already but so has nearly everyone else. 
  • edited July 2021
    I am minded of Pogba. A player who tries to make every pass a positive one. Ok, not a direct comparison as the levels are different, but you have to take that and utilise it. In a good team, Pogba is a great player. It surprises me how so many do not see that and are happy for the extra pass merchants that proliferate the game. Their stats might look good but Pogba is the player who is going to make something happen when you need it to.
  • I am minded of Pogba. A player who tries to make every pass a positive one. Ok, not a direct comparison as the levels are different, but you have to take that and utilise it. In a good team, Pogba is a great player. It surprises me how so many do not see that and are happy for the extra pass merchants that proliferate the game. Their stats might look good but Pogba is the player who is going to make something happen when you need it to.
    Pogba, eh? What’s he got to do with anything
  • edited July 2021
    He is a top level example of a player that loses the odd ball trying to play positive balls all the time I used to illustrate the advantages of Henry's game.
  • He is a top level example of a player that loses the odd ball trying to play positive balls all the time I used to illustrate the advantages of Henry's game.
    I'm flattered but I was seen more of Liam Brady type until my knee injury
  • He is a top level example of a player that loses the odd ball trying to play positive balls all the time I used to illustrate the advantages of Henry's game.
    Ah i missed the Henry comparison, apologies. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    Can’t wait till we play Ipswich, if I was Nige, I’d be printing this off and putting it on the seats of all our players to get them up for when we play them.

• edited July 2021
    AndyG said:
    Before people take to their keyboards and start sending messages to TS calling him out re transfers can I suggest they visit the Accounts thread on here ! They may want to change their rhetoric to one of thanks
    Are you indicating that the people who have forgotten the mess of last year and are panicking because we haven't spent  millions on league 1 players that clubs like Peterborough are actively marketing,  are capable of reading the accounts for a period  before TS took over!
    It is obvious that they either can't or have very short memories.  I wish the panickers would  remember that, when Powell put together  the team which stormed league 1, he didn't sign Kermorgant in June, July or August.

Given the financial state of football in this country and abroad, there will be good pickings in the shake out
    I'm flattered but I was seen more of Liam Brady type until my knee injury

Was he the dad in the “Brady Bunch” 🤷‍♂️

• AndyG said:
    Before people take to their keyboards and start sending messages to TS calling him out re transfers can I suggest they visit the Accounts thread on here ! They may want to change their rhetoric to one of thanks
    Just seen a tweet explaining all the expenditures over the last 10 years, turned my stomach. How quickly some forget
  • edited July 2021
    Jonniesta said:
    Think I'm right in saying we're off the back of 1 defeat in 15. Stabilised the team, stabilised the accounts, saved us from the leeches, brought in the women's team, revamped the medical centre, opened a new training centre for the women's team, brought in a highly qualified manager, let go a lot of the driftwood, kept it open and refreshingly positive. Yet apparently by making an overly ambitious comment about where he'd like the team to be in 1/2/5 years, and because the squad isn't filled as quickly as the pampered masses were hoping, he's fair game for criticism? F'ing disgraceful. 
    You sound like Boris moaning that not everyone is supporting  him after he fails though deliver on  promises.

It is simple.  People are grateful but they had hopes raised and the response was 9,000 season  tickets. 

It is wrong to mislead or over egg promises.  People will feel  they are let down. 

I would buy a season ticket anyway. However we are way short of a viable squad and time IS running out as is the choices available.  We all know the better players in this division.  One of them DJ. 
    What's misleading exactly? Thomas said he want's us to be in the premiership in 5 years - we are currently over 3 weeks before his first full season as owner. 

I find it utterly staggering how many adults on this forum are getting seemingly aggrieved due to an ambitious comment our owner made, and we've not even kicked a ball in anger yet.

Try the following. 

1) Next year we are going to storm this league.

2) Next year that will be us celebrating like Hull, who win the league. 

3) We will make a marquee signing( I think was said too, or misquoted to
    me )

If that were true I don't see the full intent yet to be honest. I don't know who we failed to get except Graham from Gillingham and Solomon , ex Wigan. 

That is why people are complaining. 

We are 3 weeks from ko of the season. 
    You’re of an age where you should know the difference between positive comments and true facts. Sandgaard and Adkins don’t know we will storm the league and lift the trophy, but they have belief that this club will do it. 

That is why people are not complaining. 

• edited July 2021
    Leuth said:
    DFTT
    No idea what this means, but i think you can get cream for it...
    It means 'don't fancy this thread'. It indicates that Henry is not going to be posting here again 
    ITK shorthand... mind you would have taken ages to type out the whole thing eh.. B)

• Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:
    Cawley's just tweeted that we haven't put in a bid for Pogba.
    He didn't reply when I asked him about Moses and Papa Smokes so obviously........... 
  • Jonniesta said:

Please can you stop bringing Boris Johnson into so many conversations?
    You're absolutely obsessed with him.
    If you want to talk politics, click on groups on the left hand side and then click on House of Commons, where you can talk about Boris Johnson all day long. Thanks. 
    Well said @Covered End
  • Relax, it's gonna be fine. 
  • AndyG said:
    Are you indicating that the people who have forgotten the mess of last year and are panicking because we haven't spent  millions on league 1 players that clubs like Peterborough are actively marketing,  are capable of reading the accounts for a period  before TS took over!
    It is obvious that they either can't or have very short memories.  I wish the panickers would  remember that, when Powell put together  the team which stormed league 1, he didn't sign Kermorgant in June, July or August.

Given the financial state of football in this country and abroad, there will be good pickings in the shake out
    To be fair the core of the 2011/12 squad WERE signed early, that summer is the blueprint of a successful transfer window. Kermorgant was the icing on the cake

Hollands, Evina, Hayes, Green, Stephens, Taylor, Wiggins were all signed by the 1st July and Morrison on the 8th July, meaning they had a long period training together (along with the existing players like BWP, Solly, Jacko and Waggy) before the first match, when we flew out of the traps.
  • AndyG said:

To be fair the core of the 2011/12 squad WERE signed early, that summer is the blueprint of a successful transfer window. Kermorgant was the icing on the cake

Hollands, Evina, Hayes, Green, Stephens, Taylor, Wiggins were all signed by the 1st July and Morrison on the 8th July, meaning they had a long period training together (along with the existing players like BWP, Solly, Jacko and Waggy) before the first match, when we flew out of the traps.
    1st defeat was in October v Stevenage.

Stevenage 1-0 Charlton
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/15225776
  • Surely we are in a better place than 12 months ago, irrespective of who our 'rivals' are signing?
    Club wise YES

Player/squad wise  NO

• iaitch said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Nigel will be looking very silly next May when Ipswich celebrate thier league title win at the Valley and we finish 9th.

I fully expect to see a team of untried 18 YO's and more loans next season. that's the narrative the club are pushing... didn't we also say the reliance on loans would stop with TS in charge?

If TS isn't prepared to spend then look forward to another two seasons in L1 and another £20m in losses. Best to spend and give yourself the best chance of getting out of this horrible league.

I can understand the impatience growing a bit more when Ipswich & Wigan are spending and signing players that are proven to be great in this league, but you do have to bare in mind we are still in a much stronger position than we were at the start of last season, and that’s just through having Sandgaard as our owner.

There’s absolutely no way this club would even have been able to compete to sign Stockley, MacGillivray, Dobson & Famewo (on loan but with option to buy) at the beginning of the last season with the desperate state we were in.

We have a few weeks to go still before the season starts, we will need loan players, and not all of them will work out but I think every League One team will be bringing in at least some loan players to fill the gaps in the squad.

This is a marathon not a sprint, we should at least trust that Sandgaard & Adkins will get a handful of good players in before the end of the window and that they’re not sitting around doing nothing.
    How many more years are we going to keep saying ‘but last year we almost went out of business’ or it’s ok to be crap because ‘Thomas saved us’

I don’t live in the past! and I want success. Wigan and Bolton have been in the same boat and seem to have been able to create instant success so why can’t Thomas & NA.

I believe he won’t spend and and the squad will be full of untried kids and loans. That’s my opinion, and I my opinion it will only get us another year in L1.

Could you tell me what success Wigan have had lately?

Could have been better written. Wigan immediate success in the transfer market since the new owenership and Bolton got promoted at the first attempt last season 
  • In The House Bored GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It's a long way to 5 o'clock.  I apologise in advance.
    Is it allowed to say I could find plenty of ways to help fill her time? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!