Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• For anybody who is throwing their toys out the pram, just take a reality check in the thread:

2019/20 accounts (Here we go!)

• Sponsored links:

• We're not getting involved in bidding wars - read that as we're not paying over the odds for players, just because they're having their price hiked by other interested clubs.

We already beat off Pompey with both hands for Stockley, if we can get another similarly talented forward, just with their feet we will be in a great position.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Anyway where’s our big money sponsorship deal - no shirt sponsor - new kit ? Wasn’t all this imminent back in May !!! ?
    Kits are usually announced mid to end of July... How many times do I need to re-type that! 
    Exactly! I don’t understand why people are getting upset that a new kit  hasn’t been released yet! It’s not like the players will have to run out onto the pitch in their socks, pants and vests on the first day of the season
    Not to mention that i bet at least half of the people moaning about the kit have no intention of even buying it.
  • Some comments on forums , Twitter are just ludicrous think lot of people need to sit down and just remember that we have already done very good business we got two players from our promotion rivals a championship striker and a premiership centre half , plus we resigned most likey best right back in this division add to that the experience of players like Pearce and Watson ….. I would say business so far is up there if the likes of Ipswich and far better then Wigan … we still got more to come in the next 2/3 weeks …. Plus few more before sept deadline 

That's painting a somewhat rosy picture

The 2 players signed from promotion rivals are
    1) A keeper from a promotion rival to replace the one lost to a promotion rival
    2) A player not wanted by Sunderland

I like Stockley and he may have played in the Championship, but it's unproven whether he's a Championship level player
    Similarly I like Famewo, but he's no more a premier league player than Matt Smith or Matt Smith
    Matthews is fine, but I doubt very much he's the best RB in the division, whether defensively or offensively.
    Every club has experienced pros like Pearce and Watson about the place.
    Plus we are still down Aneke who hasn't been replaced

I don’t understand the relevance of this. Danny mills wasn’t wanted by Norwich!

salah wasn’t wanted by chelsea, add de bruyne to that list.

some players don’t fit at some club and excel at others.

Spinning the comment around, dobson had a very good loan in league 1 with Wimbledon interested in signing him.
  • ButtleJR said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Phew... DM clearly trying to drill up some interest while teasing our younger fans. Hoping the players we get in have already began pre season so they have the fitness to step in. Be nice to have at least one in before Saturday. The accounts really show that TS saved us, I'm just glad we have stability. Some people need to give their head a wobble writing us off before a balls even been kicked...
    Unless said player signs having just recovered from injury (imagine the reaction) I'd be very surprised if they're not already on a pre-season programme to ensure they're not behind our players in terms of fitness... Take Akin for example.

In addition this Eisa story really ties in with @Cafc43v3r's post about the powder keg with transfers this summer - Feels like both Agents (with Paul Mullin etc.) and now DM are almost desperately trying to panic teams into being "aware" of other teams "targets" to raise funds or wages for their Clients.

e.g. Portsmouth might not want Eisa, but if they saw that Charlton did, would you want to risk losing that advantage come the League season?
  • edited July 2021
    Jonniesta said:
    Think I'm right in saying we're off the back of 1 defeat in 15. Stabilised the team, stabilised the accounts, saved us from the leeches, brought in the women's team, revamped the medical centre, opened a new training centre for the women's team, brought in a highly qualified manager, let go a lot of the driftwood, kept it open and refreshingly positive. Yet apparently by making an overly ambitious comment about where he'd like the team to be in 1/2/5 years, and because the squad isn't filled as quickly as the pampered masses were hoping, he's fair game for criticism? F'ing disgraceful. 
    A lot of that team were released or lost due to refusal to re sign.
    Well only Amos and Aneke refused to sign

Maddison and Oztumer were released after playing no part in that one defeat in 15 - Same with Oshilaja and Shinnie

Pratley was the only one with any involvement and he's been replaced by Dobson.

On that basis our issue is primarily the fact that we dont have enough experience in backup in case we get injuries.
  • Jonniesta said:
    Think I'm right in saying we're off the back of 1 defeat in 15. Stabilised the team, stabilised the accounts, saved us from the leeches, brought in the women's team, revamped the medical centre, opened a new training centre for the women's team, brought in a highly qualified manager, let go a lot of the driftwood, kept it open and refreshingly positive. Yet apparently by making an overly ambitious comment about where he'd like the team to be in 1/2/5 years, and because the squad isn't filled as quickly as the pampered masses were hoping, he's fair game for criticism? F'ing disgraceful. 
    A lot of that team were released or lost due to refusal to re sign.
    But, potentially Aneke aside, which ones are we really going to miss? And I'm not questioning we need more players, of course we do, I'm questioning the moronic behaviour of those who criticise the man that has done more for Charlton in the past year than arguably anyone in our history has managed in a single year. 
  • Ackers on twitter reckons that if no transfers today TS should sack Gallen, Roddy and co.
    I we t back at him and told him not to be so stupid, words to that effect, and have some patience.
    Every social media group seems to calling out TS, it's fucking madness, especially if you've just seen the accounts and what s financial mess we were in!
    Look closer to home. There's a post on this thread with 17 likes that contains the words 'duped into buying a season ticket' 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    When will people stop saying we have 2-3 weeks to panic mode

We have 3 weeks  to the start of the season. The players we may sign may not have had a good preseason.  

How many times have we been told a good preseason is vital. 
    Matthews and Innis are behind for a start.  Pearce and Famewo hopefully have.  

Worrying in my opinion.  

That’s on the basis that we are buying players who won’t have been training with the selling club. Most players have been back for 2/3 weeks now.

edit: how have you managed to mess up the quoting system…
  • When will people stop saying we have 2-3 weeks to panic mode

We have 3 weeks  to the start of the season. The players we may sign may not have had a good preseason.  

Worrying in my opinion.  

That’s on the basis that we are buying players who won’t have been training with the selling club. Most players have been back for 2/3 weeks now.

Unless we're aiming higher and going for players that were on Euro 2020 duty...

Joe Morrell would be a player like that for example, just saying, as he'll still be on holiday like Chris Gunter
  • When will people stop saying we have 2-3 weeks to panic mode

Worrying in my opinion.  

Unless we're aiming higher and going for players that were on Euro 2020 duty...

Joe Morrell would be a player like that for example, just saying, as he'll still be on holiday like Chris Gunter
    And Johnny Williams 🥰🥰🥰
  • Some comments on forums , Twitter are just ludicrous think lot of people need to sit down and just remember that we have already done very good business we got two players from our promotion rivals a championship striker and a premiership centre half , plus we resigned most likey best right back in this division add to that the experience of players like Pearce and Watson ….. I would say business so far is up there if the likes of Ipswich and far better then Wigan … we still got more to come in the next 2/3 weeks …. Plus few more before sept deadline 

That's painting a somewhat rosy picture

The 2 players signed from promotion rivals are
    1) A keeper from a promotion rival to replace the one lost to a promotion rival
    2) A player not wanted by Sunderland

I like Stockley and he may have played in the Championship, but it's unproven whether he's a Championship level player
    Similarly I like Famewo, but he's no more a premier league player than Matt Smith or Matt Smith
    Matthews is fine, but I doubt very much he's the best RB in the division, whether defensively or offensively.
    Every club has experienced pros like Pearce and Watson about the place.
    Plus we are still down Aneke who hasn't been replaced

I don’t understand the relevance of this. Danny mills wasn’t wanted by Norwich!

salah wasn’t wanted by chelsea, add de bruyne to that list.

some players don’t fit at some club and excel at others.

Spinning the comment around, dobson had a very good loan in league 1 with Wimbledon interested in signing him.
    I was replying to the comment that we'd signed 2 players from promotion rivals. I'm not saying Dobson won't be a good player for us, but there's a difference between signing a player from a club who desperately wanted to keep him, and signing one that a club is happy to let go

• If pigott, Fraser, wyke, Humphries are so good that the top two places are already decided, why did they not end up playing at a higher level than last season, especially seeing that at least two of them were out of contract and low risk signings for lower half championship clubs?
    I really don’t understand this logic. If it were true, it would be impossible for Charlton to sign any good players, as they’d all be hoovered up by teams in the Championship. 
  • edited July 2021
    In a glass half full world, the quicker Ipswich and Wigan are sorted ... the easier it is to make our signings (especially if none of the players they signed were even approached by us or on our shortlist). 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!