Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• RedRobin said:
    RedRobin said:
    We’ve missed out on a few players by not offering enough in wages. Listening to Gallen’s recent interview sounds like he’s working in the constraints of a shoe string budget. We’re not blowing any league apart anytime soon. 
    Disagree, no indication of that at all. Working to a budget yes, but so are Man City. 
    It’s not a dig at TS but we are working to budget that isn’t anywhere near our rivals. 
    But how does that equate to ours being shoestring? We've got absolutely no right to demand we splash loads of money. Although I do agree that TS shouldn't be making silly statements if ours isn't at least competitive. At this moment in time, there's no proof either way of how big/small our budget is. 
    It feels shoe string if it’s only a little bit than last season when there was a salary cap, that’s what TS has said. I hope I’m wrong and we are being competitive in the market but on this showing it doesn’t look like we are. 
  • Addickted said:
    RedRobin said:
    RedRobin said:
    We’ve missed out on a few players by not offering enough in wages. Listening to Gallen’s recent interview sounds like he’s working in the constraints of a shoe string budget. We’re not blowing any league apart anytime soon. 
    Disagree, no indication of that at all. Working to a budget yes, but so are Man City. 
    It’s not a dig at TS but we are working to budget that isn’t anywhere near our rivals. 
    You have no idea what our budget is, let alone that of our 'rivals'.
    TS has said we are going to do a little bit more than last season, an educated guess would be it’s not the same as our “rivals” who are Ipswich and Wigan..
  • You lot are judging our transfer window when another team makes a signing.

Yes there are decent players going to other teams but there are plenty of decent players out there who we haven’t heard of/played against who would love to come to Charlton.

How many of us were dreaming of signing Innis, Famewo, Cullen, Bielik etc. before they signed?

Judge it when the window slams shut.
    It is quite often the way, the players we sign not knowing much about, end up being the best ones. We need some gems like kinsella for example. Didn’t have a clue who the hell he was before we got him!!. The rest is history.
  • RedRobin said:
    RedRobin said:
    RedRobin said:
    But how does that equate to ours being shoestring? We've got absolutely no right to demand we splash loads of money. Although I do agree that TS shouldn't be making silly statements if ours isn't at least competitive. At this moment in time, there's no proof either way of how big/small our budget is. 
    It feels shoe string if it’s only a little bit than last season when there was a salary cap, that’s what TS has said. I hope I’m wrong and we are being competitive in the market but on this showing it doesn’t look like we are. 
    Yeah, I'm going to want a source on that. And not "someone said it on this thread," an actual statement where he said those words.
  • Gallen also spoke about NA, TS and himself wanting characters that bought into their philosophy and are the right fit for Charlton.

Maybe we have had discussions with some of the players that have gone elsewhere but decided that they weren't the right fit or they thought they were bigger than what they are. Fraser is obviously a good player, but so are Gilbey and Morgan at this level. I personally feel Morgan is ready to step up more this season. As has been said already, when we played MK, Pratley had Fraser in his pocket. Maybe he stood out alot because the MK team was built around him and he was their star player. Stockley stood out for us as we built things around him at the end of the season, hence the other interest in him. Yet we won that race and got Stockley. 

Also we don't know the calibre of the players we are lining up. There could be other players that are even better that we are trying to work for and say Fraser, Piggott etc are demanding 10k* a week yet we have a deal lined up with a better player for the same of less money. I would rather the better player than someone who thinks they're bigger than they are. 

There's still time to go and NA has said himself he wished players were in earlier but we can't always dictate things if other clubs need to do their business first. We will bring players in. I'm hopeful that the players will be of a good standard and be right for NA and CAFC. Our future is looking bright under TS and this is his first full season owning the club. He is still learning and I'm sure things will fall into place soon. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Addickted said:
    RedRobin said:
    RedRobin said:
    TS has said we are going to do a little bit more than last season, an educated guess would be it’s not the same as our “rivals” who are Ipswich and Wigan..
    So nothing about our budget then?
  • thenewbie said:
    RedRobin said:
    RedRobin said:
    RedRobin said:
    Yeah, I'm going to want a source on that. And not "someone said it on this thread," an actual statement where he said those words.
    Yeah it’s on the website. https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60e73045de9f3/thomas-sandgaard-on-his-first-summer-in-charge-thus-far

• Dazzler21 said:

Paniiiiiiic 

A player that was bullied by Pratley has gone to a promotion rival! 

There are no rumours so everyone must be sitting on their hands.

Sandgaard is obviously skint.

The club is burning!
    For the list?
  • Sponsored links:

• I really do hope Morgan has miraculously improved in a couple of months, because if we are deciding this is his breakthrough season… again, we won’t be challenging for promotion…. In my opinion. He did improve at the end of the season, but not certain we should hanging out hats on him yet. Obviously I would be happy to eat humble pie if proven wrong, as I don’t dislike him and would love for one of our own to really shine.
  • Keep calm and carry on, control the controables, we have no input over who comes in, so why stress!
  • What a mistake it was letting Pratley go 
  • RedRobin said:
    Addickted said:
    RedRobin said:
    RedRobin said:
    Our wage bill was more than double of Wigan's last season. 
  • edited July 2021
    There's not a single team storming ahead with recruitment in this league. I believe we have the best striker in League One as well as the best centre back partnership.
    Fraser is no huge loss, neither was Piggott, neither was Wyke at £10kpw.
    I'd take our squad in it's current form over any other and fully expect us to do more business - I reckon we're in for Championship squad players which is why we haven't seen a huge amount of movement. I really hope to see a RW, a LB and a CAM by time Sheffield rolls round or shortly after. Absolutely no panic from me here and if somebody can tell me why Ipswich, Sunderland, Sheffield, Pompey or Wigan currently give us any cause for major concern - I'm all ears.
  • Oh and we have Ipswich last day of the season so safe to say they’re winning the league.
    This is what Golfie Jnr said as soon as the fixtures were released. And over the past month nothing they have done has made him change his mind.....in fact it's only gone & cemented the thought.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Ipswich are taking the piss. Wages and Transfer fees combined they’ve spent a huge amount of money (for league 1).
    You gotta do what you gotta do.

• Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:
    Addickted said:
    RedRobin said:
    RedRobin said:
    Our wage bill was more than double of Wigan's last season. 
    And it’s half of there’s now by the looks of it 😂 it’s not sustainable I know but I’m just jealous of the players they are signing, especially Ipswich. I’m sure we will come good. 
  • Laddick01 said:
    I don’t see how any League One side can sign Harper (Rumoured around 500,000), Pigott (must be on a fair wedge to stay in L1), Fraser (See Pigott) and Bonne (Probably a chunk of Champ wages)

They must be proper loaded.
    New owners. Fancy that.
  • Valley11 said:
    Yep. It’s concerning now. How is it that Ipswich and Wigan are able to secure top targets and we aren’t? And we need a fair few players. 
    Because we are going to rely on youth.

TS has said it
    NA has said it.

It's just that you're not listening. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

Paniiiiiiic 

A player that was bullied by Pratley has gone to a promotion rival! 

There are no rumours so everyone must be sitting on their hands.

Sandgaard is obviously skint.

The club is burning!
    One game he was man marked, the first game he ran the show. His record shows that the latter was the norm. 
  • edited July 2021
    It's alright if we don't get promoted we can have a rebuild and piss the league next season.........

Last season really mattered and we could/should have at least finished top 6 and had a crack at the play offs.  Who noticed these very rich people snapping up other league 1 clubs?  And now people are supprised? 

No one can guarantee top two, certainly not in July.    Just over 18 months ago a lot of the people that are writting us off now were in the Covered End singing "we're fucking rich".  Stop the knee jerk reactions cos Fraser signed for Ipswich.  It doesn't mean we missed out. 

We might not "blow the league out of the water" but we won't be far off the promotion picture, if off at all.

When we get the next couple over the line the mood will change back to "we're going up as fucking champions" and HMS piss the league will be launched.  Then Sunderland will sign Wykes replacement and Thomas will be skint again, and as it how it was and how it will all ways be.

We will be a very good league 1 team next season, I have no doubt.  Will it be good enough to get promoted? Hopefully.  Will it be enough to satisfy everyone on here?  No fucking chance, Messi has just signed a new deal at Barca!! 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Ipswich & Wigan may have made some decent signings but they haven’t got our track record with loanees, especially with Arsenal & Chelsea youngsters. Reckon our loan signings will be standouts in this league 
    Jury's out for me on our loanees.

Yes, we've had great success with Gallagher, Cullen & Beliek.....and to some extent with Maatsen & Leko. But then we've had complete nightmares like Levitt, Davis, Smith, Smythe & Green. 

If we being in 4 or 5 loans (bearing in mind currently Famewo counts as one) then history shows one will be a diamond, one ok & the rest pretty much a waste of time.
  • edited July 2021
    Valley11 said:
    Yep. It’s concerning now. How is it that Ipswich and Wigan are able to secure top targets and we aren’t? And we need a fair few players. 
    Because it looks like they are budgeting massively  over their income.

We can’t have it both ways imo. We can’t bang the drum on how important stability and sustainability is, then kick off when clubs around us pay over the odds on a short-term gamble. 

Frustrating as it is. 
    We’ll also be spending massively more than income. Regardless of signings. That’s just Charlton in L1. Turnover is halved by relegation.
  • RedRobin said:

Fair enough, even if personally that seems an extremely literal interpretation of a turn of phrase. It could just as easily mean just not being willing to spend outside of our means.

I'm certainly not reading much into the talk of budgets etc. Sunderland have been big spenders for several years now in fees and wages and they're still down here.

If it works and you get promotion first try then it's great, if not you are in deep trouble.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!