Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Yeah that’s a disappointing one, I think he would have been excellent for us with good players around him.
  • Becoming clear that Ipswich and Wigan have a much bigger budget than we do but I don’t think any of the other sides have done much to be worried about in the window so far. 

Can’t say I’m not a bit disappointed as I thought there was a good chance we’d be spending more to get out of this league quicker but we can still spend smarter than them even if we don’t spend more.
  • How comes we always end up playing promoted sides last day of the season. I make it Leeds, Bournemouth, Burnley, Hull, probably missed someone else out. Going to put some money on Ipswich doing the same.

3 and a bit weeks until kick off and it feels like we're in the same situation as previous years recruitment wise. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Been doing some digging through "football sources" on why the market is so stagnant.

The general impression I have got is more than half the EFL have taken out these monitored grants (loans), the ones that are currently under embargo are only the ones that have already breached the terms.

A lot of them are waiting to sell a player to pay it back and its become a Dutch auction.  Teams offering a fraction of what they know the player is worth, knowing the selling club need the money before they can do anything themselves.  Good players who are out of contract are getting offered pennies.  The exception is when they are players multiple clubs really want (Wyke and Pigott were mentioned by name).

From what I gather 2 or 3 "big transfers" from the EFL to the prem will kick start the whole thing, else clubs will be giving away talent come the end of August.

It's more of a poker hand than normal.  Hold your nerve is the word on the street.

Anyway no idea if that's factual, just passing it on. 
    Re-upping this from yesterday in response to "it's always better to get business done early because it's cheaper".
  • Is that the sound of a penny dropping?
  • sam3110 said:
    I'm not concerned about who we haven't signed so far, I'm concerned about who others are signing though, as many of them have been realistic targets that would have improved our squad, and good players for a club like us, chasing promotion. Instead they're now playing for rivals who are trying to do the same thing as us. The more of them that get signed by other teams, the smaller the pool of realistic, decent signings gets, and the closer we get to the transfer deadline, the more panic sets in and the more teams throw money about trying to sign players. You want to make your move early, your have a better chance of getting your targets in and you can bed them in better.
    Agreed, I think it's reasonable by the middle of July to start taking stock, and looking at what our rivals have done. 

I mentioned this yesterday during the match thread, but I'm really surprised we've not had trialists involved in any of our 2 games so far. Pompey had several involved on Saturday, so it's not a Covid thing.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/portsmouth-player-ratings-gassan-ahadme-5635041

• edited July 2021
    I have to say Ipswich signing both Pigott & Fraser is disappointing for me.
    It's less than 4 weeks to the start of the season (7 weeks to the end of the window) and the only totally NEW recruits so far are Dobson and MacGillivray (edited)
    Yes, we brought in Stockley & Famewo and retained a few others.

I still have faith and I'm still confident of us bringing in more players, but I'm not as confident as I was a month ago about us smashing through this league.
  • edited July 2021
    It's less than 4 weeks to the start of the season (7 weeks to the end of the window) and the only totally NEW recruit so far is Dobson.
    Yes, we brought in Stockley and retained a few others.

I still have faith and I'm still confident of us bringing in more players, but I'm not as confident as I was a month ago about us smashing through this league.
    Agree, but we have also signed Big Mac from Pompey
  • I have to say Ipswich signing both Pigott & Fraser is disappointing for me.
    It's less than 4 weeks to the start of the season (7 weeks to the end of the window) and the only totally NEW recruit so far is Dobson.

What about Mcgilvery? 
  • We must have some cracking signings lined up, I mean literally cracking.
  • Sponsored links:

Plus the keeper - though that effectively is a straight in/out replacement -  but yes the lack of "new" faces is slightly concerning

Plus the keeper - though that effectively is a straight in/out replacement -  but yes the lack of "new" faces is slightly concerning
    Dobson was surely that for Pratley...

Well I understand a few fans getting anxious as others teams have done their bussiness earlier than us but if you listened to Gallens early interview he clearly said we sign a few before pre season a few during pre season and few right at the end.

One would hope this means we know who the targets are and know when they will be unavailable.

I would assume based on that will sign 3 or before the season starts and then right towards the end the loans will arrive.

Its risky bussiness if you ask me and with a tricky set of fixtures to start off with we risk blowing any chances of automatic or at least an up hill challenge.

Saying all that i wont judge until the window closes and then where we at the point combinded with how the squad looks then will determine how we should feel
  • Maybe the wage/salary cap remaining would have helped us this season more than we initially thought! 
  • CH4RLTON said:

Well I understand a few fans getting anxious as others teams have done their bussiness earlier than us but if you listened to Gallens early interview he clearly said we sign a few before pre season a few during pre season and few right at the end.

One would hope this means we know who the targets are and know when they will be unavailable.

I would assume based on that will sign 3 or before the season starts and then right towards the end the loans will arrive.

Its risky bussiness if you ask me and with a tricky set of fixtures to start off with we risk blowing any chances of automatic or at least an up hill challenge.

Saying all that i wont judge until the window closes and then where we at the point combinded with how the squad looks then will determine how we should feel
    Agree entirely.
    It's just that 2 of the players I hoped we may sign have been snapped up by Ipswich (even though a few on here said Pigott would never sign for us).
  • CH4RLTON said:

Our targets aren't separate from anyone else's though. All the "big" L1 clubs will be fishing in similar waters, and chances are we've been beaten to one or two of our targets by direct rivals.

The same applies to loan signings too.
  • edited July 2021
    Not massively panicking as there's time, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be a little bit concerned when you see good players go to your rivals.

We need a good quality striker to replace Aneke, Piggott would have been a good signing. Crying out for a playmaker who can contribute a few goals, Fraser was right up there last season, need a couple of quality wingers and Edwards/Burns would have been decent signings. Still plenty of quality out there, I think people are getting carried away with Wigan but I like the look of Ipswich. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    We’ve missed out on a few players by not offering enough in wages. Listening to Gallen’s recent interview sounds like he’s working in the constraints of a shoe string budget. We’re not blowing any league apart anytime soon. 

Edit: Thomas had gone on record to say we are only going to do a little bit more than last season, which we’ve probably already done by signing Stockley. 
  • RedRobin said:
    We’ve missed out on a few players by not offering enough in wages. Listening to Gallen’s recent interview sounds like he’s working in the constraints of a shoe string budget. We’re not blowing any league apart anytime soon. 
    Disagree, no indication of that at all. Working to a budget yes, but so are Man City. 
  • I’m not bed wetting. Not yet anyway because we will sign players. What’s slightly at this point disappointing me is that I think it’s fair to say we’ve missed out on quite a few targets and are now looking at players further down our list. There has to be a reason for missing out but at this point you have to think it most likely to be money. No proof of any of this being true but it seems to me the most likely reason for our inactivity. Are we simply being out monied by clubs throwing silly amounts about or are we running a really tight ship. We’ll see soon enough. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Shoe string or just not as big as Ipswich or Wigan’s budget?
  • RedRobin said:
    Disagree, no indication of that at all. Working to a budget yes, but so are Man City. 
    It’s not a dig at TS but we are working to budget that isn’t anywhere near our rivals. 
  • RedRobin said:
    RedRobin said:
    It’s not a dig at TS but we are working to budget that isn’t anywhere near our rivals. 
    But how does that equate to ours being shoestring? We've got absolutely no right to demand we splash loads of money. Although I do agree that TS shouldn't be making silly statements if ours isn't at least competitive. At this moment in time, there's no proof either way of how big/small our budget is. 
  • RedRobin said:
    RedRobin said:

And I'm quite happy with that if our rivals budgets are ridiculous for L1.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!