Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited July 2021
    mendonca said:
    MacAnthony really irritates me. The Southall scenerio does not help. The "I'm such an open Chairman" act is more than tiresome. 
    This
  • As the famous Reading Gaol keeper almost said "Money doesn't buy success but it does you bring you a better class of failure"

With Eisa and Stock(ley) we're clearly thinking financially. 

Eisa seems a worthwhile punt, he has pace that we lack up top but if we aren't accepting the first price being asked by Posh then good,  let's negotiate.  IF SG and NA want him then that's good enough for me although I don't put too much into likes on twitter.
  • Valley11 said:
    mendonca said:
    MacAnthony really irritates me. The Southall scenerio does not help. The "I'm such an open Chairman" act is more than tiresome. 
    This

That
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Eisa playing behind Stockley just based on watching his montages could work very well or even as a partnership up top, definitely a player I wouldn't turn my nose up at 
     Are we gonna go 4-2-3-1? I could see that working out quite well as an option, but that puts a few of our better players in odd positions. 
    I believe so yes. At Southampton it’s what he played, at Hull for the most of his time there it was 4231, last few games he played a 4411. Either way it’s clear he likes wingers or inside forwards working with a lone target man and a play maker behind. No problems with the formation, it’s very good if you have the right players for it 
    If last night at Welling was anything to go by NA likes a good old diagonal pass out of defence to a winger.
    Bring Back Naby!
  • edited July 2021
    My theory on why things may be moving slowly is this. I think we have a plan A and a plan B. One is dependant on Burnley selling Pope and one isn't. What I think is happening is we have baked the cake and we are waiting to see what quality of icing we should go for. It makes sense as if the plan A budget involves some of the Pope profit, you wouldn't want to complete plan B until you are sure plan A isn't happening.

The next question is how likely is it that Burnley will sell Pope. He is contracted to 2023, so this season is probably the peak of his value. Have Spurs or even Manchester United sorted out their keeping options is another key question. If this is the case, we can't wait for plan A for too much longer I would assume.  
  • Plan A can wait until we manage to get into the Championship.
  • Vfrf said:
    thenewbie said:
    This is why the “keeping your business private” mantra lauded on here is nonsense, by the way. It’s not just your business.

This is why the “keeping your business private” mantra lauded on here is nonsense, by the way. It’s not just your business.
    Valid point, but I think it's still creditable that Charlton as a club do seem to be trying to avoid having a lot of leaks/rumours. And certainly just because we do seem to have an interest in Eisa doesn't mean he's our only or even a main target. Just one option that has been looked at.
    Absolutely but I can’t recall an era when the club has talked openly about its transfer targets. It’s all leaks and the current set-up is no better or worse at preventing that than previous ones, because it’s not under their control.
    I'd argue that depends on if you happen to be Lee Bowyer keen on having weekly chat with Richard Cawley. No doubt the leaks reduced after his departure.
    Possibly some truth in that but it would be naive to think Bowyer was planting transfer stories. They come from all sorts of unexpected places and obvious ones like other clubs, agents, other journalists around the country. The value of the relationship with the manager is in standing them up or knocking them down. No reason to think Rich doesn’t have those conversations with Adkins.

Sometimes “there’s nothing close”, which isn’t much of a story when repeated regularly. It doesn’t mean nothing will be close the next week or that no signings are intended.
    True, although just to clarify I don't think Bowyer was planting anything, just that the way he always come across was shooting from the hip so don't think he'd be as coy. If we were looking at Mo Eisa for example, I think Bowyer would come out and say he's somebody we're interested in where as Adkins seems to be the kind to keep a tight ship and very professional which is why we see Cawley only release things once the ink is dry. I have no problem with the system and actually prefer it this way round personally.
  • edited July 2021
    Not if it helps us get there. Anyway, I think there is a real chance Pope will be sold as Burnley will feel they need to strengthen in other areas. His injury is an issue though. I understand we are expecting about 20 to 25% so it could be a significant amount of money coming in that surely can't be lost on the club.
  • My theory on why things may be moving slowly is this. I think we have a plan A and a plan B. One is dependant on Burnley selling Pope and one isn't. What I think is happening is we have baked the cake and we are waiting to see what quality of icing we should go for. It makes sense as if the plan A budget involves some of the Pope profit, you wouldn't want to complete plan B until you are sure plan A isn't happening.

The next question is how likely is it that Burnley will sell Pope. He is contracted to 2023, so this season is probably the peak of his value. Have Spurs or even Manchester United sorted out their keeping options is another key question. If this is the case, we can't wait for plan A for too much longer I would assume.  
    Burnley have agreed deal with free agent Wayne Hennessey. The 34-year-old Wales goalkeeper after leaving  Crystal Palace last month.
  • If Pope is sold for £15m, we could get nearly £4m. I think that is a low estimate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Might as well move on to plan B if that’s really the case! Nick Pope isn’t going anywhere IMO. There were rumours towards the end of last season but it’s all gone really quiet on that front. Don’t think any of the big six want him because his distribution of the ball is lacking.
  • ross1 said:
    My theory on why things may be moving slowly is this. I think we have a plan A and a plan B. One is dependant on Burnley selling Pope and one isn't. What I think is happening is we have baked the cake and we are waiting to see what quality of icing we should go for. It makes sense as if the plan A budget involves some of the Pope profit, you wouldn't want to complete plan B until you are sure plan A isn't happening.

Burnley have agreed deal with free agent Wayne Hennessey. The 34-year-old Wales goalkeeper after leaving  Crystal Palace last month.
    Back up for Pope.
  • edited July 2021
    Look what Powell achieved with £1m

I think Burnley would sell but at a high price and the bigger question is which club would pay it? 
  • If Pope is sold for £15m, we could get nearly £4m. I think that is a low estimate.
    If Pope is sold for £15m someone at Burnley needs shooting. Aaron Ramsdale went for £18.5m last year after one season of PL football which ended in a relegation. He's just had another giving him 2/2 and he's now in talks with Arsenal. Pope is/was England's second choice keeper and Ramsdale is fifth. I could see Burnely holding out for something north of £25/30m, though they maybe can't ask as much as they would have hoped with him missing the Euros
  • Look what Powell achieved with £1m

I think Burnley would sell but at a high price and the bigger question is which club would pay it? 
    Spurs are probably the only viable option given Lloris might leave but personally I think he'll be a Burnley player come September. 
    If Pope is sold for £15m someone at Burnley needs shooting. Aaron Ramsdale went for £18.5m last year after one season of PL football which ended in a relegation. He's just had another giving him 2/2 and he's now in talks with Arsenal. Pope is/was England's second choice keeper and Ramsdale is fifth. I could see Burnely holding out for something north of £25/30m, though they maybe can't ask as much as they would have hoped with him missing the Euros
    Never getting more than 25mil for a 29 Year old keeper
  • After end of last season, I think Gilbey will be our first choice ‘no 10’/CAM this coming season, Morgan his back up. It’s the wide CAMs that will likely be the focus of ins (2 right, one left), alongside two CDMs, Dobson and Watson already taking the other two CDM squad spots. None of this is based on inside info, just how I see it based on squad balance and NA’s preferred formation. Going back to Gilbey, has lots to offer and we started to witness it in the last 10 games of the season. Excited to see what he can do with an extended run of games.
  • edited July 2021
    I agree, I used £15m to show how much we would get for a paltry fee. I think they would sell at £25-30m though as you state. Doing the maths, £25m would net us over £6m. Of course we would use some of that to help us get out of League One. There isn't a load of clubs that would pay that sort of money for him though. Potentially only one or two.
    I thought we were on 20% of any profit.

IF we sold him for £2m, which was the figure mentioned at the time but not on the OS, and he's sold for £15m we get 20% of £13m which is £2.6m

There was talk of £50m but that seems far fetched.  If true we'd get £9.6m

Could buy a few Frasers and Eisas with that and fund important stuff like the museum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Look what Powell achieved with £1m

Agreed, but football is totally different now vs then. £1m won't get far at all in the current market. 
    I thought we were on 20% of any profit.

IF we sold him for £2m, which was the figure mentioned at the time but not on the OS, and he's sold for £15m we get 20% of £13m which is £2.6m

There was talk of £50m but that seems far fetched.  If true we'd get £9.6m

Could buy a few Frasers and Eisas with that and fund important stuff like the museum.
    I thought it was reported to be in excess of 20%. It is still a lot though.
  • Seems I’m in a minority, but I think Eisa would be a very good addition (albeit not one to blow the bank on)

He is quick, skillful and knows where the goal is. I also believe his best position is that of the wide striker akin to how we played last night. 

I will admit he hasn’t set the world alight recently, but he was excellent when he first moved to Peterboro and he is a local lad. 

Not a ‘must’ signing, but definitely one that would have my support.
  • I am not so sure about Pope moving now. My theory was based on PSG buying Lloris and Spurs needing a new number one.

I read today that Italy's giant keeper Donnarkumma is likely to move to Paris so maybe Hugo will stay at White Hart Lane afterall.

I can't see any other potential top six vacancies currently. 
  • edited July 2021

The South London Press understands that Charlton inserted a sell-on clause when Pope  joined Burnley in July 2016.

That is standard business practice but we have also been told that the figure due is more than 20 per cent.

• Probably still goes to Duchatelet back pocket 
  • Even with a hypothetical Pope sale, not all of it will go to our own transfers. At least some of it will surely be used to offset running costs/debts/legal fees
  • Who is going to pay the money for Pope ? he is without doubt a great keeper but the top sides now want keepers that can distribute the ball and Pope is very weak in that department. Plus none of the top sides are in the market to pay big bucks for a keeper I dont think
  • Eisa sounds decent and as a local lad would be a welcome addition, I should think that with Ibe supplying him the balls from midfield he will do very well for us 😉.

Only issue is I would not believe a word the Peterbrough Chairman says, he will (rightly) be looking to drive the price as far north as possible for them.
  • edited July 2021
    AndyG said:
    Who is going to pay the money for Pope ? he is without doubt a great keeper but the top sides now want keepers that can distribute the ball and Pope is very weak in that department. Plus none of the top sides are in the market to pay big bucks for a keeper I dont think
    I would say the only club that jumps out is Spurs if they lose their keeper to PSG. Lloris is getting old (35 I think) and is out of contract next season. Man Utd may join the market if they can offload De Gea. But that is essentially the problem.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!