Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited July 2021
    I think those advocating Williams have not suggested we should blow our budget to get him. It is more if the opportunity arises at the right price.
    That's fair enough, but how many mascots do we need ? At this stage I'd rather we sign wingers that are pushing to play 15 games in a row, average an assist/goal every game or 2... or bang on starters, rather than more players that are good for moral at the training ground.

Come August 30th, if we have a spare 2k PW to spend, then it's not a bad option. 
  • Williams re signing for me is a no brainer. We know his strengths and weaknesses and when he’s buzzing he’s very effective. Certainly not a starter but my view is that he’d be a better option than a 20 year old PL loan to fill that squad gap.  Its not a long term solution but nor are five loans every season. Add in the great to have around the place and that Nigel seems the perfect manager for Jonnie and I’d take him back in a heartbeat.
    He hasn’t had a good run of games since September 2019.  No thanks.  
  • Does anyone have an info on the very fishy deal of JW to Cardiff.
  • I’d take Williams back in heartbeat , even if only for morale as he’s so well liked . 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Personally think Williams would thrive under a manager like NA
    I love JW but I do think he was given plenty of opportunities  for a long time and tbh it only went sour at the end with bowyer so that cant be used as an excuse a player in his position is judged on goals and assists and he didnt provide either i think we should be looking at better if we are aiming for promotion / top 2
  • Everyone has their own opinions on JW I suppose but I really cant see it happening. I have no idea what wages he would be on but I would be gutted if we missed out on a player who we wanted because we couldn't match his wage demands and some of our budget was being taken up on JW. Like I said lovely bloke and wish him all the best but hopefully we have higher expectations 
  • How many games did JW miss last season due to injury?  Thinking back, I dont think it was as many as some posters are implying.
  • I think the main issue is that our squad currently is tiny. We need bodies and not all of them are going to be blow-away signings. I'd rather have someone like Williams that we know can produce a bit of quality than trying to play some 16 year old that's not ready or get a Premier League loanee that can't be bothered to put a shift in. 
  • edited July 2021
    This is my view. 
    The players we had last season we're not good enough and I was hoping for a major  clear out especially after Sandgaard said we was going to smash this league next season. 
    So the signing of Gunter Watson  Pearce ,Foster Caskey Etc is leaving me pretty underwhelmed. 
    Now some are calling for Williams to get given another contract. 
    In my opinion we had better bring in a few better players than we have been otherwise we can forget about finishing in the top two.
    How about bringing in Williams and those players you are referring to. Those saying no are applying the cost issue when they don't know what it is. if Williams blows our budget, nobody will want him brought in. People are saying if the right deal can be done as a proviso. It seems some don't want him if he is free!!!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• alangee said:
    How many games did JW miss last season due to injury?  Thinking back, I dont think it was as many as some posters are implying.
    How many minutes did he play per appearance, is the important question. 
  • So we've had the try and buy option with Akin. Can we maybe have some 2 for 1 deals or buy one get one free?
  • This is my view. 
    The players we had last season we're not good enough and I was hoping for a major  clear out especially after Sandgaard said we was going to smash this league next season. 
    So the signing of Gunter Watson  Pearce ,Foster Caskey Etc is leaving me pretty underwhelmed. 
    In my opinion we had better bring in a few better players than we have been otherwise we can forget about finishing in the top two.
    How about bringing in Williams and those players you are referring to. Those saying no are applying the cost issue when they don't know what it is. if Williams blows our budget, nobody will want him brought in. People are saying if the right deal can be done as a proviso. It seems some don't want him if he is free!!!! 
    Ok.
    When it comes to cost all I know is  that  the wage restrictions have been removed. 
    Sandgaard himself said we we're going to blow this league away next season so I assumed he had the money to do just that.
    I think squads next season are restricted to 22 players. 
    Foster Caskey will be missing for a large part of the season 
    Gunter Watson and Pearce are not good enough and Williams cannot play for 90 minutes. 
    What I'm saying is we need better than him if we are serious about going up.
    All about opinions mate and that's mine. 
    What was fishy about it?
  • Charlton fans defending Schwartz and Williams. A major part of why we are where we are. Get a grip ffs.
    7th on goal difference! 

We finished 7th due to lots of individual errors by most of the squad at some point in the season.

if famewo hadn’t gifted Wimbledon a goal, we would have finished 6th. Let’s call out famewo for being part of why we are where we are? Or  Washington for missing a pen at gillingham? 
    This kind of thinking will drive you to distraction. The majority of goals scored or chances missed throughout the whole football pyramid get scored or missed because someone screwed up. Even the very best players miss chances. It is certainly the case that every fan of every team in League 1 last season could cite a whole list of errors that cost them games/points/goals.
  • This is my view. 
    Ok.
    When it comes to cost all I know is  that  the wage restrictions have been removed. 
    Sandgaard himself said we we're going to blow this league away next season so I assumed he had the money to do just that.
    I think squads next season are restricted to 22 players. 
    Foster Caskey will be missing for a large part of the season 
    Gunter Watson and Pearce are not good enough and Williams cannot play for 90 minutes. 
    What I'm saying is we need better than him if we are serious about going up.
    All about opinions mate and that's mine. 
    Yes, but those saying he can be a positive addition if the price is right may not be disagreeing with your opinion. If he takes the place of a better player, of course nobody would want that.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Personally think Williams would thrive under a manager like NA
    I love JW but I do think he was given plenty of opportunities  for a long time and tbh it only went sour at the end with bowyer so that cant be used as an excuse a player in his position is judged on goals and assists and he didnt provide either i think we should be looking at better if we are aiming for promotion / top 2
    We can argue about this all day but he was outstanding for about 3 months then got injured. 

During those 3 months he was playing in exactly the right position, in exactly the right system with exactly the right players with him.   That was nearly 2 years ago now. 

Those conditions won't be replicated again so there is no point signing him.

It's possible to not want him back and acknowledge he had more than a handful of half decent games and is considerably better than some people make it. 
  • I think the main issue is that our squad currently is tiny. We need bodies and not all of them are going to be blow-away signings. I'd rather have someone like Williams that we know can produce a bit of quality than trying to play some 16 year old that's not ready or get a Premier League loanee that can't be bothered to put a shift in. 
    How many loanees can you think of that were unwilling to put a shift in?
  • Leuth said:
    I think the main issue is that our squad currently is tiny. We need bodies and not all of them are going to be blow-away signings. I'd rather have someone like Williams that we know can produce a bit of quality than trying to play some 16 year old that's not ready or get a Premier League loanee that can't be bothered to put a shift in. 
    I don’t think it’s a matter of effort. Smith and Levitt last season weren’t ready for league one football. Who would you rather sitting on the bench. Williams or Smith ? 
    What was fishy about it?
    Apparently, we were done up like a kipper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    I think the main issue is that our squad currently is tiny. We need bodies and not all of them are going to be blow-away signings. I'd rather have someone like Williams that we know can produce a bit of quality than trying to play some 16 year old that's not ready or get a Premier League loanee that can't be bothered to put a shift in. 
    Every season out of the 5+ loanees we have, there's usually 2 or 3 that just do not feature at all. Either that or they'll play 2 games, look terrible and disappear. 
    I think that's part of the reason signing Williams is probably a bad idea, unless he's going to be a luxury player on top of everything else. He's made of glass. Relying on him to be one of the bodies required is a bad bad idea.
    I think that's part of the reason signing Williams is probably a bad idea, unless he's going to be a luxury player on top of everything else. He's made of glass. Relying on him to be one of the bodies required is a bad bad idea.
    Exactly this, Williams is no millar replacement.. which is exactly what we need right now.
  • Id take Williams back,he has a good understanding with Lyle,will only benefit us
    What was fishy about it?
    What wasn't.  It stunk of being a favour to someone.  It really wouldn't surprise me if it was done to kick the "problem" down the road.
  • I think I'm somewhere in the middle with Williams. Would want him certainly as a squad player at best, but then how much impact does he have as an impact sub? Where do we play him? Is he driving enough to play on the wing? Do we use him as a no 10? I don't think he's proven himself in that position. And then what are his wages? Can they be used to seal the deal on a 1st team signing, with a young loan taking up the squad place. In an ideal world I'd definitely have him around the squad for the unity, and because I think we all hoped there was a. secret to unlocking his potential. But in reality, managing a rebuild on a finite budget, I don't think it works out for me. Unfortunately.
    And in reality the alternative isn't Williams or a loanee from a PL side, but Williams versus other all players in that position who fit our budget and L1 status. I don't know the alternatives, but Gallen will, he'll have a long list of alternative flair midfielders who are either available on a free or an affordable fee

Players can quickly go from being sought after to journeyman status. Signing Ben Reeves (eventually) was seen as an exciting capture at the time, but after 2 underwhelming seasons with us, he's had 2 mediocre seasons at MKD and Plymouth, being released both times
  • Leuth said:
    I don’t think it’s a matter of effort. Smith and Levitt last season weren’t ready for league one football. Who would you rather sitting on the bench. Williams or Smith ? 
    Smith didn't play badly at all. I'd have him back except Vennings kind of does the same things
  • (and I'm convinced Levitt would have done a good job for a different manager who might have been a little less obsessed with physicality and more interested in, like, keeping the ball)
  • I think I'm somewhere in the middle with Williams. Would want him certainly as a squad player at best, but then how much impact does he have as an impact sub? Where do we play him? Is he driving enough to play on the wing? Do we use him as a no 10? I don't think he's proven himself in that position. And then what are his wages? Can they be used to seal the deal on a 1st team signing, with a young loan taking up the squad place. In an ideal world I'd definitely have him around the squad for the unity, and because I think we all hoped there was a. secret to unlocking his potential. But in reality, managing a rebuild on a finite budget, I don't think it works out for me. Unfortunately.
    And in reality the alternative isn't Williams or a loanee from a PL side, but Williams versus other all players in that position who fit our budget and L1 status. I don't know the alternatives, but Gallen will, he'll have a long list of alternative flair midfielders who are either available on a free or an affordable fee

Players can quickly go from being sought after to journeyman status. Signing Ben Reeves (eventually) was seen as an exciting capture at the time, but after 2 underwhelming seasons with us, he's had 2 mediocre seasons at MKD and Plymouth, being released both times
    Reeves has had 2 injury-ravaged seasons tbf. A fit Reeves would be an asset in any L1 squad, including ours
  • edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Does anyone have an info on the very fishy deal of JW to Cardiff.
    What was fishy about it?
    What wasn't.  It stunk of being a favour to someone.  It really wouldn't surprise me if it was done to kick the "problem" down the road.
    Gonna need more fleshing out before I believe it was anything other than just another club seeing a player available for cheap and took a chance on him. Then he didn’t play because he wasn’t able to force his way into the team.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!