Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Chunes said:
    He had a handful of good games in two years with us. People constantly make excuses for him. It's been done to death and I'll say no more on it, but I will be gutted if he comes back. 
    It's only a difference of opinion Chunes, it's what make the world (and CL) go around......He'll do fine for me..imo B)
  • Chunes said:
    He had a handful of good games in two years with us. People constantly make excuses for him. It's been done to death and I'll say no more on it, but I will be gutted if he comes back. 
    This.
    If we are serious about promotion this season we need better than Williams. 
  • JW is, it seems to me, a bit of a marmite player amongst Charlton fans.
    Maybe if he does come back he's given a pay as you play short term contract, while the club see how he reacts to being managed by NA?
    If he performs well on the pitch and is a positive figure in training, then give him a contract to the end of the season!
    For me I'd have him back and see where it goes, as others have said he wins a huge number of FK's many in dangerous areas.
    Get a midfielder to deliver a good dead ball and we have Stockley or Schwartz to put them away.
  • Chunes said:
    To be fair the second year he was here we only had a handful of good games as well! 
  • Welcome aboard @Lazza76 - I’m assuming you’re the same Lazza I used to play football with many moons ago at Long Lane 👍
  • Perhaps the squad numbers will be different this season, just to add a bit of variety 
  • Jonniesta said:
    Lazza76 said:
    Tonbridge school bottom fields
    Stunning effort, mate, used to live basically next door to those and loved the Tonbridge school grounds.
    That’s exactly where I am now… stunning school and just returned from playing tennis over there
  • Sponsored links:

• Think it's unfair to criticise Williams, every time he was on the pitch he was booted into the air the moment the ball was at his feet. 

Lost count of the amount of free-kicks he wins. 
    But how many of them were in dangerous positions? From memory a lot of the fouls on him were in the middle of the park, as part of the problem is that he didn't get into dangerous areas of the pitch enough
  • Did he ever win a penalty?
  • If you wanted to keep Chuks surely Williams is the same. I know Chuks was a goal scorer but I mean their effectiveness in their roles. Williams got the ball up the pitch, won us a lot of free kicks, made us play at a better tempo at times and was very impactful on the game from the bench. Reminds me of how Jack Grealish has impacted England when he comes on

Being disappointed if we signed him would be odd a little bit. If we can afford to have him and he is a option from the bench I don't see the harm, imagine he's a lovely bloke to be around as well and Adkins as said would be the man the keep him positive.

It's a yes from me if the wages are right and it doesn't hinder other potential players from signing 
    Just no 
  • Charlton fans defending Schwartz and Williams. A major part of why we are where we are. Get a grip ffs.
    Grown adults who feel the need to slag off any players are the ones who need to grip more me thinks!!
    Not slagging them down just pointing out facts.

A grown man btw mocked by you and others for saying we were going down since Xmas in 2019 and for saying Bowyer should have gone at Xmas last year. Still carry on the happy clappy stuff.
    Oh I wasnt suggesting that you were

I just think over-reactions towards players, insulting them etc. is a bit more pathetic than defending them
  • Sponsored links:

• If you wanted to keep Chuks surely Williams is the same. I know Chuks was a goal scorer but I mean their effectiveness in their roles. Williams got the ball up the pitch, won us a lot of free kicks, made us play at a better tempo at times and was very impactful on the game from the bench. Reminds me of how Jack Grealish has impacted England when he comes on

Being disappointed if we signed him would be odd a little bit. If we can afford to have him and he is a option from the bench I don't see the harm, imagine he's a lovely bloke to be around as well and Adkins as said would be the man the keep him positive.

It's a yes from me if the wages are right and it doesn't hinder other potential players from signing 
    How anybody can lol such an eloquent and simply stated post is beyond me. 
  • I think I'm somewhere in the middle with Williams. Would want him certainly as a squad player at best, but then how much impact does he have as an impact sub? Where do we play him? Is he driving enough to play on the wing? Do we use him as a no 10? I don't think he's proven himself in that position. And then what are his wages? Can they be used to seal the deal on a 1st team signing, with a young loan taking up the squad place. In an ideal world I'd definitely have him around the squad for the unity, and because I think we all hoped there was a. secret to unlocking his potential. But in reality, managing a rebuild on a finite budget, I don't think it works out for me. Unfortunately.
  • Charlton fans defending Schwartz and Williams. A major part of why we are where we are. Get a grip ffs.
    7th on goal difference! 

We finished 7th due to lots of individual errors by most of the squad at some point in the season.

if famewo hadn’t gifted Wimbledon a goal, we would have finished 6th. Let’s call out famewo for being part of why we are where we are? Or  Washington for missing a pen at gillingham? 
    We bought a striker to fire us into the play offs. I do not consider one goal and the missing of a couple of open goals a good return. Money wasted, clearly not up to it and now clogging up the wage bill for a much needed replacement. Still I'll leave it there.

We should have cruised that league last year but Bowyer fucked us over for 3 months. 
    7th on goal difference! 

We finished 7th due to lots of individual errors by most of the squad at some point in the season.

if famewo hadn’t gifted Wimbledon a goal, we would have finished 6th. Let’s call out famewo for being part of why we are where we are? Or  Washington for missing a pen at gillingham? 
    We bought a striker to fire us into the play offs. I do not consider one goal and the missing of a couple of open goals a good return. Money wasted, clearly not up to it and now clogging up the wage bill for a much needed replacement. Still I'll leave it there.

We should have cruised that league last year but Bowyer fucked us over for 3 months. 
    Not disagreeing with the last part 
  • Williams re signing for me is a no brainer. We know his strengths and weaknesses and when he’s buzzing he’s very effective. Certainly not a starter but my view is that he’d be a better option than a 20 year old PL loan to fill that squad gap.  Its not a long term solution but nor are five loans every season. Add in the great to have around the place and that Nigel seems the perfect manager for Jonnie and I’d take him back in a heartbeat.
    We know his strengths and weaknesses? 

Strengths:
    Nice lad to have about the place
    Wins free kicks
    Can pick a pass
    Err...
    Good at growing a beard

Weaknesses:
    Not physical enough
    Injury prone
    Doesn't score goals with regularity
    Doesn't assist goals with regularity
    Isn't very fast
    Can't head the ball well
    Probably cost quite a bit still

He's not the answer to our problems, not one bit
  • sam3110 said:
    Williams re signing for me is a no brainer. We know his strengths and weaknesses and when he’s buzzing he’s very effective. Certainly not a starter but my view is that he’d be a better option than a 20 year old PL loan to fill that squad gap.  Its not a long term solution but nor are five loans every season. Add in the great to have around the place and that Nigel seems the perfect manager for Jonnie and I’d take him back in a heartbeat.
    We know his strengths and weaknesses? 

Strengths:
    Nice lad to have about the place
    Wins free kicks
    Can pick a pass
    Err...
    Good at growing a beard

Weaknesses:
    Not physical enough
    Injury prone
    Doesn't score goals with regularity
    Doesn't assist goals with regularity