Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Williams would be like a less effective Millar if we were to sign him again. That is the only role I could see him playing, as illustrated by Shinnie not being able to get a look in.

• mendonca said:
    Williams would be like a less effective Millar if we were to sign him again. That is the only role I could see him playing, as illustrated by Shinnie not being able to get a look in.

Tbf Williams did leave a lot to be desired at times but there is a player there for sure. It was pretty obvious he fell out with Bowyer and with the right management, he could be the player we expect. 

This is not a case for us to sign him again but more if it happens then there could be a different player to what we saw before he left. 
  • edited July 2021
    Lazza76 said:
    Lazza76 said:
    Hi new to this but Jonny Williams is running round my work had a quick chat would love to come back and left it with his agent left because fell out with bowyer
    Welcome Lazza, done well there, straight onto @Dazzler21 list,  B)
    Cheers been on here long time worried about writing anything I only push a mower about
    You've already contributed more in one sensible post than a few do all year :smile:
    Yes you have let us all down, if you can just put in a bit more practise you will soon be spouting the required old bollox.
  • While I do like Williams I have doubts about whether he'd really fit into the kind of formation that Adkins seems to be looking at.

He's not particularly quick, so no bombing down the wings and crossing into Stockley up front. He's not a particularly prolific goal scorer, so Gilbey would be ahead on that side. He's not really a playmaker type, directly at least, and he's not really got the physicality for a pressing game.

In the right team he'd be a force at this level but I don't think Charlton under Adkins are that team. He does what he does very well, but is it something we need him to do? I'm not sure.
  • I think saying that Williams, is not a prolific goal scorer.. is being very generous. 
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    While I do like Williams I have doubts about whether he'd really fit into the kind of formation that Adkins seems to be looking at.

He's not particularly quick, so no bombing down the wings and crossing into Stockley up front. He's not a particularly prolific goal scorer, so Gilbey would be ahead on that side. He's not really a playmaker type, directly at least, and he's not really got the physicality for a pressing game.

In the right team he'd be a force at this level but I don't think Charlton under Adkins are that team. He does what he does very well, but is it something we need him to do? I'm not sure.
    Williams wins you a lot of fouls and is a lively player who is a bit above the level which can't be a bad thing, even from the bench. If he is training with us, I wouldn't be surprised if he signs for us if we feel we are a midfielder short in the squad.
  • edited July 2021
    Please no injury prone players... Have we not learned the lessons of the last few seasons...
  • Viv Solomon-Otabor…… any new updates on him after his failed medical last Friday and new tests that were done on him ?

Few loose rumours that he may be signing again. ?? 

• What have we learned? Williams played a big part in our promotion and the issue with him last season related to his relationship with Bowyer.
    I think Jackson will be key in whether we bring him back.

if Williams was out of favour sue to a relationship breakdown with bowyer, I would like to think Jackson would be telling Adkins that.

if he was a terrible trainer, I’m sure Jackson will be passing that on too
  • My understanding was Williams had a good relationship with Bowyer until the Shrewsbury game when a line was crossed that couldn't ever be repaired.
  • interesting stuff about Famewo, maybe Norwich want to ensure they have other centre half options in before they let him go permanently. Sounds like we'd do it now if we could.
  • Sheffield Wednesday's transfer embargo lifted by the EFL apparently.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    There is more than one way to push a Mower about.

• I like Williams, but to me he's one of those players that you like to watch, but also one who's never really found a role on the football pitch where he can consistently impact matches, scoring and creating goals.

It's not as if it's just a Charlton/Bowyer thing either, as he's not had that much of an impact at other clubs either
  • In League One it should be less of an issue.
  • Just watched gallens interview. Sounds as if a deal is in place and we'll be trying to make famewo permanent during the season... Wonder why it couldn't be done this summer 🤔
  • Think it's unfair to criticise Williams, every time he was on the pitch he was booted into the air the moment the ball was at his feet. 

Lost count of the amount of free-kicks he wins. 
  • I really dont get what it is with alot of our fans and the burning desire to resign players that have left us. Jonny is without doubt a lovely fella but take a 20 min spell in the playoff final out of the picture I would struggle to find a game where he influenced anything to that great a deal. Add to that there seems to be a fair few people that seem to think Lyle is a top striker and we should be moving heaven & earth to get him back as Stockley isnt in his class. Past players are exactly that in my book, wish them luck and move on. For what it is worth I think Stockley is a far better striker than Lyle and there is no way on earth I would swap him for LT
  • If Williams passed the ball more often he wouldn't get challenged every time.
    I wonder if it has ever occurred to him?
  • I like Williams, but to me he's one of those players that you like to watch, but also one who's never really found a role on the football pitch where he can consistently impact matches, scoring and creating goals.

It's not as if it's just a Charlton/Bowyer thing either, as he's not had that much of an impact at other clubs either
    He was brilliant in the 1st few months of the championship season.  Completely destroyed Kalvin Phillips.

Johnny Williams is very good at a very specific role.  He is bang average, or worse, at doing anything else.  He isn't the type of player that can "do a job" anywhere else.

You can't build a team round him because you know your not getting 35+ games out of him.

The way we set up, under Adkins, last season wouldn't suit Johnny at all.  I love Johnny but I wouldn't sign him, unless we were going to use him properly.  I really hope someone does and he gets the success he deserves, as long as it isn't at our expense. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!