Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• cabbles said:
    The Wigan signings certainly show a determination to bring in players proven at the larger clubs at this level, as can be seen from where they've come from and their age

Wyke, Power - Sunderland
    Whatmough, Naylor - Pompey
    Edwards - Ipswich
    Amos - us
    Cousins - Stoke

No punts on players from smaller clubs or L2, or raw youngsters either
    I look at that list and it’s made up of players from clubs in this division that have failed for 2/3 years to get out of it (bar Cousins).  There’s a reason they didn’t achieve promotion, and their ability has a large part to play in it.  

I would say Wigan are pursuing a route I would hate us to go down.  Spending big money on players that have established themselves as being unable to get out of the division 

As a collective, they may all come together and it works, but there’s no guarantee.  I’m pleased none of those have joined us 
    This exactly, overpaying players who are around that sort of 27-30 age range is dangerous game. Much more happy we are going down the route of getting young hungry players who have something to play for.
    If you sign a 27-28 year old on a 2-3 year deal then is that really an issue? Players are usually in their prime at that age. Big difference to signing someone who is 32.

Overpaying is a just matter of opinion anyway. If (for example) Wyke scores 30 goals again this season and Wigan go up, who will care what his salary is?
  • sam3110 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:
    Wigan are at present close to having a decent starting 11, they don't have anything that looks like a competitive squad
    At least they have a starting 11...........
    Maybe not THE starting, but A starting 11 that could do a job at least til the window closes (I wouldn't be happy about this either mind).

MacGillivray
    Gunter - Inniss - Pearce - Purrington
    Morgan - Dobson - Gilbey
    Washington - Stockley - Jaiyesimi

You've forgotten Tucker and Mullin who have both already signed remember? 🤡
    And Moses.

His through balls will part most defences in this League.
  • What is goi going with Matthews ??? Has he signed for Birmingham? Is he training with us ? Where is he ? 
  • Vfrf said:
    cabbles said:
    The Wigan signings certainly show a determination to bring in players proven at the larger clubs at this level, as can be seen from where they've come from and their age

Wyke, Power - Sunderland
    Edwards - Ipswich
    Amos - us
    Cousins - Stoke

I look at that list and it’s made up of players from clubs in this division that have failed for 2/3 years to get out of it (bar Cousins).  There’s a reason they didn’t achieve promotion, and their ability has a large part to play in it.  

I would say Wigan are pursuing a route I would hate us to go down.  Spending big money on players that have established themselves as being unable to get out of the division 

As a collective, they may all come together and it works, but there’s no guarantee.  I’m pleased none of those have joined us 
    This exactly, overpaying players who are around that sort of 27-30 age range is dangerous game. Much more happy we are going down the route of getting young hungry players who have something to play for.
    Stockley and MacGillivrey are 27. 🤔🤔
    Good thing we're not overpaying them.
    Their contracts are in the public domain then or they let a CL ITK member see them ? 
    That comes down to whether you believe reporting. The general concensus at the time was Pompey were capping out at 4.5k per week and we offered 5.5k per week.
    And with the greatest of respects, I defended you for the last two weeks on here, but I think you've probably broken my trust of 'CL ITK' members.
  • I am amazed at how many people don't understand the 'it's coming home' song or the irony of it. Kaspers comments were ignorant and nothing more than a way to wind up English players. Hopefully they'll use that today against a keeper who has been carried his whole career to anything he's won. 

This sort of misunderstanding gives England fans a bad rep. The song has nothing to do with winning a trophy, that's the ironic part. Song is in reference to a football tournament being in our country, infact it's entirely relevant right now with all the semis and final being at Wembley. Really bugs me this does as too many people go and encourage it, sort of like when people say we forced Curbs out. 

I've got nothing wrong with the song, I like it and have sung it plenty of times

I just think its the press who are twats to take it into interviews and ask opposition players the question... What next, Louis Mendez asking Ben Thompson the next time we play Millwall how they feel about Charlton fans singing: "Build a bonfire"

No Football songs should ever be taken seriously 
  • I am amazed at how many people don't understand the 'it's coming home' song or the irony of it. Kaspers comments were ignorant and nothing more than a way to wind up English players. Hopefully they'll use that today against a keeper who has been carried his whole career to anything he's won. 

This sort of misunderstanding gives England fans a bad rep. The song has nothing to do with winning a trophy, that's the ironic part. Song is in reference to a football tournament being in our country, infact it's entirely relevant right now with all the semis and final being at Wembley. Really bugs me this does as too many people go and encourage it, sort of like when people say we forced Curbs out. 

I've got nothing wrong with the song, I like it and have sung it plenty of times

I just think its the press who are twats to take it into interviews and ask opposition players the question... What next, Louis Mendez asking Ben Thompson the next time we play Millwall how they feel about Charlton fans singing: "Build a bonfire"

Apart from.

A palarse fan hanging on a string.
  • Interesting to see that news and good that we are promoting from within. 

However it does show how desparately short we are in that area. Watching the Youth Cup semi and final I thought the two CB's were the week link in the team and while both tall they lacked any kind of physicality even compared to Barker.

This is simply a stop gap to make sure we have numbers, i'm very confident he won't play at all this season - he needs to grow out of himself.
  • Sponsored links:

Apart from.

A palarse fan hanging on a string.
    Wasn't that by Loose Ends?
  • Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    cabbles said:

Wyke, Power - Sunderland
    Edwards - Ipswich
    Amos - us
    Cousins - Stoke

Their contracts are in the public domain then or they let a CL ITK member see them ? 
    That comes down to whether you believe reporting. The general concensus at the time was Pompey were capping out at 4.5k per week and we offered 5.5k per week.
    And with the greatest of respects, I defended you for the last two weeks on here, but I think you've probably broken my trust of 'CL ITK' members.
    Are you confusing @Addicks59 with @addick1956?
  • edited July 2021
    Maccn05 said:
    Interesting to see that news and good that we are promoting from within. 

However it does show how desparately short we are in that area. Watching the Youth Cup semi and final I thought the two CB's were the week link in the team and while both tall they lacked any kind of physicality even compared to Barker.

This is simply a stop gap to make sure we have numbers, i'm very confident he won't play at all this season - he needs to grow out of himself.
    I thought that too. They seemed too easy to run at. Of course they are young and can improve so it isn't a damning judgement. Having said that, Barker, who played full back looks like he could do a job based on what he did last season for us and in terms of the maturity of his game when playing with youth players. 
  • edited July 2021
    I am amazed at how many people don't understand the 'it's coming home' song or the irony of it. Kaspers comments were ignorant and nothing more than a way to wind up English players. Hopefully they'll use that today against a keeper who has been carried his whole career to anything he's won. 

That's the problem though, it's a journo who by the sounds of it doesn't understand what the song stands for either. That question was a set up for that answer or any kind of drama, just pure pot stirring.

His answer is fine in the context it's been asked I suppose, doesn't mean I now don't want Harry Maguire to give him the Zidane treatment haha

I imagine he has set himself up for some right abuse tonight
  • cabbles said:

Wyke, Power - Sunderland
    Edwards - Ipswich
    Amos - us
    Cousins - Stoke

Yet every time players who failed to get promoted from league 1, or even league 2, get linked people get excited or "no chance of getting him, he is off to the championship" gets trotted out.

They have signed 6 first team players from teams that not only finished above them, all finished in the top half.  Plus Cousins, who has never played this low before.

Assuming we can't sign first team players from the 3 promoted clubs.  If you don't want established first team players from other league 1 clubs who exactly do you expect us to sign?   

I think most of Powell's "first team" had failed to get out this division before.  They did alright didn't they?

For the record, of the out field players I wouldn't want Wyke or Power.  The others are significantly better than what we currently have.  Only on Charlton life would signing first team players from the teams finishing 3rd, 7th and 8th be bad but signing players from Gillingham impossible because they are too good. 
  • Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    cabbles said:

Wyke, Power - Sunderland
    Edwards - Ipswich
    Amos - us
    Cousins - Stoke

Being sarky was unfair. I am intrigued to know how something so private is even remotely in the public domain. 
    I can't say for sure, but I would say it's more likely from the losers end. I.e. Pompey know what they've offered the player and what their limit of salary is, if they're expecting to sign him and then don't, it's not really a risk for them to leak info to other 'ITK' Pompey people as the players already gone.

That's the problem though, it's a journo who by the sounds of it doesn't understand what the song stands for either. That question was a set up for that answer or any kind of drama, just pure pot stirring.

His answer is fine in the context it's been asked I suppose, doesn't mean I now don't want Harry Maguire to give him the Zidane treatment haha

I imagine he has set himself up for some right abuse tonight
    https://youtu.be/FqCmV8mq8Lo
  • Maccn05 said:
    Interesting to see that news and good that we are promoting from within. 

100% mate

Nowhere near first team level!
  • cabbles said:

Wyke, Power - Sunderland
    Edwards - Ipswich
    Amos - us
    Cousins - Stoke

cabbles said:

Wyke, Power - Sunderland
    Edwards - Ipswich
    Amos - us
    Cousins - Stoke

Correct, but if the rumors are true then we aren't over paying them unlike wigan etc. My original point was that offering massive wages to players who are around that age can be risky business. As players don't have as much of an incentive to play well because financially they are sorted until their contract is up.
  • Yes Wigan have signed a few players but how many of them would any of us been wowed by if we had signed them ? calm down is my tip lets see what happens 
  • Sponsored links:

• Wigan finished 5th from bottom last year, their signings so far probably make them a mid table to upper mid table team, they need more players. 

What people need to consider is that one of Wigan’s better players agreed terms with us but failed a medical. That suggests that the player thinks he has a greater chance of championship football here than at wigan.

• Rothko said:
    Wigan are at present close to having a decent starting 11, they don't have anything that looks like a competitive squad
    Can’t wait for the season to start, so you can cheer up…oh wait, that’s not going to happen. 
    I'll cheer up when the owner follows through on his "promises'. 

At the moment there isnt a lot of difference between TS and Duchatalet in terms of team building. 

It's easy to talk the talk. The club now needs to walk the walk. 
    Is there a lot of difference between TS and Jiminez?
  • LordDofB said:
    The time may have come for some of the youngsters to step up: Dempsey, Barker, Henry?   
    LordDofB said:
    The time may have come for some of the youngsters to step up: Dempsey, Barker, Henry?   
    Did say last year when we were playing right backs at centre half that we should blood the youngsters. And we had a "free hit" then.

And remember, its not me wanting the earth & immediate success -  The owner himself has said he wants out of this League & into the Premier league within 5 years. 
  • Rothko said:
    Can’t wait for the season to start, so you can cheer up…oh wait, that’s not going to happen. 

At the moment there isnt a lot of difference between TS and Duchatalet in terms of team building

I’m sorry, what 👀
    His morning trolling didn't work, so he's changing up for the afternoon
  • edited July 2021
    Rothko said:

At the moment there isnt a lot of difference between TS and Duchatalet in terms of team building. 

So it's now Thomas' fault that we haven't completed re-building the squad by 7th July .... ?

Come on, Golfie ...... there's not one team in the division that has completed it's squad.
    Perhaps the problem seems to be one of some people managing their own expectations?

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!