Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• ButtleJR said:
    Rumours Wyke is on close to 10k p/w. If so that's ludicrous for a player of his quality. Scored a fair few last season but didn't think much whenever I saw him. Chucking money at the league doesn't often work at this level. Hopefully England get the win tonight and a few will sign prior to the friendly against the scum Saturday. 
    For that money I’d want a player that I was confident could step up to the championship.

From what I’ve seen of Wyke he’s a good league one finisher at best.
  • Jonniesta said:
    There will be nothing heroic about failure this year. We had a full year to prep for it, and everything is in place. Promotion should be expected. As it stands, the squad is not good enough for that, so we need more players. I'm confident TS/SG/NA know what they're doing... we're still in the 'cut-price' and free market now to see how we can fill some gaps, then we move on to the full-price market to get those 2 or 3 we really want, then the loan market to shore up the remaining gaps. We have no reason not to trust the current set-up other than years of misuse by previous owners...of course, that's quite a big reason. In TS and NA we trust. 
    WADR I don’t see how promotion can be ‘expected’ in this league. Two many similar sized clubs with similar backing/spending power and similar levels of ambition. 
    It’s always likely to be a slog. 
    Fingers crossed we can make the signings that’ll at least give us a real fighting chance. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Wigan are building a proper strong side. They’re gonna be top 6 minimum
    They might be. 

Depends on how well the manager can knit the new team together after their massive clear out of players and incoming players.
    Even though they've now signed Wyke, you can bet they've not yet finished their squad rebuilding.

But just because they've already signed a shed load of incoming players is no guarantee of success either.

You could say the exact same thing about us.....only we haven't really signed enough players to even be able to "knit" a team yet.

So, in those stakes, Wigan are ahead of us.

It's not that bad, Golfie.

Things are a bit slow on the transfer front, we all agree.
    But we've nevertheless already got a nucleus of good players, with ability and the right character.

Like Curbs and Chris Powell, our Mr Adkins has a reputation for building squads with the right character in the dressing room and on the park.
    And it's also why players like Pearce and Watson have been retained.

• The Wigan signings certainly show a determination to bring in players proven at the larger clubs at this level, as can be seen from where they've come from and their age

Wyke, Power - Sunderland
    Whatmough, Naylor - Pompey
    Edwards - Ipswich
    Amos - us
    Cousins - Stoke

No punts on players from smaller clubs or L2, or raw youngsters either
    We shall see what happens with Charlton incomings over the next 2-3 weeks but I wouldn't have been unhappy with a couple of the above in league 1. We need quite a few to come in. I am fine with quality vs quantity but at present we are short of both.
  • Let’s face it - Thomas has come to England because he’s got tickets for the Euros semi-final, not to splash the cash 
     Very likely.  And after Casper Schmeichel's remark about has football ever been home one can go off an entire nation very quickly 😳 .
    I admire Schmeichel for his response during Eriksen’s collapse. I think he’s a top Premier League GK.

I’d probably be a little bit irked if, during my press conference I was asked about wrecking England’s chances rather than about my own team. Read that stat yesterday that had Denmark with way more attack than us in this tournament and us still with fewer shots than Scotland. 

His riposte was probably meant as a light hearted riposte. So I haven’t gone off him or his nation but I hope we get an opportunity to deliver a wry reminder of that comment.

Come on England. 

On the plus side were Denmark to lose it should free up some production time at the Hummel factory. It would be nice to play the Stripey Nigels in a new kit rather than a training kit. 😉
  • cabbles said:
    The Wigan signings certainly show a determination to bring in players proven at the larger clubs at this level, as can be seen from where they've come from and their age

Wyke, Power - Sunderland
    Edwards - Ipswich
    Amos - us
    Cousins - Stoke

I look at that list and it’s made up of players from clubs in this division that have failed for 2/3 years to get out of it (bar Cousins).  There’s a reason they didn’t achieve promotion, and their ability has a large part to play in it.  

I would say Wigan are pursuing a route I would hate us to go down.  Spending big money on players that have established themselves as being unable to get out of the division 

As a collective, they may all come together and it works, but there’s no guarantee.  I’m pleased none of those have joined us 
    This exactly, overpaying players who are around that sort of 27-30 age range is dangerous game. Much more happy we are going down the route of getting young hungry players who have something to play for.
  • Wigan's approach seems to be building a squad that will be very good at staying comfortably within league one and probably up and around the play offs but unlikely to actually get out of it. Certainly that kind of squad would need a lot of rebuilding if they did get promoted.

I'm hoping we're looking at players not just in terms of this current season but who can step up if/when we do get promoted.
  • Sponsored links:

• I suspect Wigan are building what they see as a strong squad and in addition will try to cherry pick 2 or 3 hot PL loans to see them over the line.
    Hopefully our strategy will prevail.
  • Boring being a Charlton fan at times ain’t it 

• Let’s face it - Thomas has come to England because he’s got tickets for the Euros semi-final, not to splash the cash 
     Very likely.  And after Casper Schmeichel's remark about has football ever been home one can go off an entire nation very quickly 😳 .
    To be fair I thought that was a great response from Kasper

Our press are twats at times
     I thought it was an insulting to our
    country by a nation that won this trophy having failed to qualify so he should have kept quite. 

Reminds me of when Andy Murray reminded the press he wasn't, British but Scottish.  A completely unnecessary remark from a pompous prig who then represented
    'Great Britain ' in the Olympics.  Very ethical. 
    He got asked a stupid question and actually responded in the right way

The fans treat the whole "Its coming home" as a bit of a joke... The press use it to insult and wind up the opposition.

Kasper was spot on, how can the Euros be coming home, we have never won it

Did you even listen to the actual question Kasper got asked - The press asked him how it would feel to stop "It from coming home" - After dealing with the stupidity, he rightfully responded that he's more interested in winning it for Denmark (he doesnt even care about stopping England), and giving THEM the lift that they no doubt need themselves
    To be fair, nobody sings 'The Euros are coming home'. 'Football' is obviously synonymous with a major trophy - 'Football' has come home before, Kasper was just jabbing which is the right thing to do the week before a big game, just hope we send a haymaker back his way later tonight.
  • edited July 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Jonniesta said:
    There will be nothing heroic about failure this year. We had a full year to prep for it, and everything is in place. Promotion should be expected. As it stands, the squad is not good enough for that, so we need more players. I'm confident TS/SG/NA know what they're doing... we're still in the 'cut-price' and free market now to see how we can fill some gaps, then we move on to the full-price market to get those 2 or 3 we really want, then the loan market to shore up the remaining gaps. We have no reason not to trust the current set-up other than years of misuse by previous owners...of course, that's quite a big reason. In TS and NA we trust. 
    WADR I don’t see how promotion can be ‘expected’ in this league. Two many similar sized clubs with similar backing/spending power and similar levels of ambition. 
    It’s always likely to be a slog. 
    Fingers crossed we can make the signings that’ll at least give us a real fighting chance. 
    Because a club of our size and stature, with the manager we have, and he backing we have, should be in the Championship. Other clubs may feel the same, and rightly so, but I don't believe we have any excuses. We need to develop a winning mentality, right from the start against a chaotic Wednesday. Last season, this league was pants. I've seen nothing from any other side so far to say it won't be again. I still see no more that 1 or 2 players signed across the division that I'd want, and none better than 2 of our signings. Gallen, Jackson, Adkins all know what it takes, and we have been assured about these building blocks being put in place through Roddy etc. If we can get (edit: nearly!) playoffs with the squad and injuries we had last season, we should expect promotion this year. 
  • Wigan are building a proper strong side. They’re gonna be top 6 minimum
    But will they break FFP with only 8000 fans at games?
    To be fair I thought that was a great response from Kasper

Our press are twats at times
     I thought it was an insulting to our
    country by a nation that won this trophy having failed to qualify so he should have kept quite. 

Reminds me of when Andy Murray reminded the press he wasn't, British but Scottish.  A completely unnecessary remark from a pompous prig who then represented
    'Great Britain ' in the Olympics.  Very ethical. 
    He got asked a stupid question and actually responded in the right way

The fans treat the whole "Its coming home" as a bit of a joke... The press use it to insult and wind up the opposition.

Kasper was spot on, how can the Euros be coming home, we have never won it

Did you even listen to the actual question Kasper got asked - The press asked him how it would feel to stop "It from coming home" - After dealing with the stupidity, he rightfully responded that he's more interested in winning it for Denmark (he doesnt even care about stopping England), and giving THEM the lift that they no doubt need themselves
     The song says 'Football is coming home'. As I said Denmark 'sneeked' the '92 tournament by default.  

He would have done better by asking why we care that much because over half the country voted to leave Europe but we still enter their competitions. 🙃
    Last time I looked we were still part of the European continent, same as when Ireland and Scotland leave the union they will still be part of the British Isles.

Sorry "if".
    Freudian slip? ;)
  • Rothko said:
    Wigan are at present close to having a decent starting 11, they don't have anything that looks like a competitive squad
    At least they have a starting 11...........
  • Rothko said:
    Wigan are at present close to having a decent starting 11, they don't have anything that looks like a competitive squad

So do we...........
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    Rothko said:
    Maybe not THE starting, but A starting 11 that could do a job at least til the window closes (I wouldn't be happy about this either mind).

MacGillivray
    Gunter - Inniss - Pearce - Purrington
    Morgan - Dobson - Gilbey
    Washington - Stockley - Jaiyesimi

• Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:
    Maybe not THE starting, but A starting 11 that could do a job at least til the window closes (I wouldn't be happy about this either mind).

MacGillivray
    Morgan - Watson - Dobson 

Watson and Pearce have been told they won't be starters yet here they are starting. 
  • edited July 2021
    Rothko said:

Exactly. And that's where we stand too. Ourselves, we already have a decent starting 11 ...... but we all know we need to have some better options and real strength in depth:

MacGillivray

Gunter Inniss Pearce Purrington

Morgan Dobson Gilbey 

DJ Stockley Washington

Edit: Just seen that some posters can type much quicker than I can ...... haha
  • edited July 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:

MacGillivray
    Morgan - Dobson - Gilbey

Push Dobson into the middle and play Gilbey instead of Watson. 
    Knew I was missing someone! agree with your changes. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:

MacGillivray
    Morgan - Watson - Dobson 

Watson and Pearce have been told they won't be starters yet here they are starting. 
    Maybe not when the whole squad has come together, hence 1. not being happy about it and 2. only til the window closes. 
  • Rothko said:
    Can’t wait for the season to start, so you can cheer up…oh wait, that’s not going to happen. 
  • cabbles said:
    The Wigan signings certainly show a determination to bring in players proven at the larger clubs at this level, as can be seen from where they've come from and their age

Wyke, Power - Sunderland
    Edwards - Ipswich
    Amos - us
    Cousins - Stoke

I look at that list and it’s made up of players from clubs in this division that have failed for 2/3 years to get out of it (bar Cousins).  There’s a reason they didn’t achieve promotion, and their ability has a large part to play in it.  

I would say Wigan are pursuing a route I would hate us to go down.  Spending big money on players that have established themselves as being unable to get out of the division 

As a collective, they may all come together and it works, but there’s no guarantee.  I’m pleased none of those have joined us 
    This exactly, overpaying players who are around that sort of 27-30 age range is dangerous game. Much more happy we are going down the route of getting young hungry players who have something to play for.
    Stockley and MacGillivrey are 27. 🤔🤔
    Good thing we're not overpaying them.
  • The time may have come for some of the youngsters to step up: Dempsey, Barker, Henry?   
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!