Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• I'm more than happy to go into the season with the squad we have now. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the younger players step up in the next year. For me the most important thing is for the club to try and become as solvent as possible. I know it's pretty hard in League 1 to achieve but with a some creativity and thinking outside the box from a marketing strategy point of view I do believe the club and fanbase can make it happen. If I was being greedy I agree with thenewbie a centre back of Famewo standard will be an added bonus. We will be in and amongst the promotion shake up of this I have no doubt.

Jesus I hope not, we're still about 8-9 short (minimum). The squad wasn't good enough last year for promotion and as things stand we're significantly weaker. 

For me we still need:

GK (If AMB is loaned out)
    RB (If Matthews goes)
    CB x 2
    LB
    CM x 2
    Winger x 2
    Striker
    This in spades & glad its not just me.

I know I may came across as a negative Nancy & always moaning, but please just take a minute & look at where we are currently, where we need to be to be better than last season & ask yourself.....are you happy.
    Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Thing is we all know we need more players and we've all known that since the season ended.  And the closer to the season start the greater that need becomes. We all realise that.

But you've been moaning about it all summer, in fact every summer. And every January. And every month in-between.  You never stop moaning.  Even when we do sign a player you moan that is the wrong player or in the wrong position or that it's only one player.  If we signed 10 players today you'd probably still find something to moan about ("no time to gel/why did we wait so long?/It's Tuesday and so they missed training on Monday")

So when you actually make a valid point, such as we need more players which 100% of posters agree with, it just gets lost in the sea of moaning.
    I stopped reading his posts some time back because of his ‘contrived’ OTT negativity.
    He’s simply an attention seeker?
    The forum became so much more enjoyable when I skipped reading his posts
  • edited July 2021

"Give us a kiss, Katrien".

• Sorry but that's not sustainable surely 

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/manchester-city-fc/payroll/

Man City's wage bill. How on earth can Phil Foden be on 12 grand a week, Zinchenko 20 grand a week and Charlie Wyke 10k two levels below? Just seems ridiculous
  • cabbles said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    not charlton related but doesnt seem like we have any rumours ourselves...but wigan have reportedly offered Charlie Wyke £10k a week to join?! Outrageous amount for a league one player but shows how much Wigan are throwing at it this year
    If anyone pays 10k a week for Wyke they should be questioning their recruitment policy. Wow.
    Ok he's not exactly Lewandowski but is he that bad for a league one side trying to build a squad?

15-16 season - 15 goals
    16-17 - 25 goals
    17-18 - 16 goals

Admittedly didn't play well for 2 years, but then got 31 goals last season and was their POTY.

Whilst i agree that 10k a week is ridiculous, he's not as bad as people might think.
    I don’t think he’s a bad player at all. But 10k a week seems steep for this level. I guess that’s just where prices are right now.

10k at this level is crazy.  No disrespect to any of the players, but I don’t think anyone down in league one should be getting more than 2/2.5k a week.  Certainly not after Covid 
    10k a week is crazy but he's a free transfer, so perhaps some of that wage is built into his signing on fee.

As someone else posted earlier, if we paid a fee of 500k for Stockley and are paying him 6k a week, then that's not much different over 3 years to Wigan paying no fee and 10k a week.

Is the 10k true anyway, could just be twitter gossip?

Man City's wage bill. How on earth can Phil Foden be on 12 grand a week, Zinchenko 20 grand a week and Charlie Wyke 10k two levels below? Just seems ridiculous
    Because both Foden and Zinchenko know that their next contract will add a zero on to their weekly wage?

Mendy is stealing a living in 4 years he has earnt about 20 million quid and he hasn't even played more than 50 more games than I have!

If we go down the rabbit hole of "economic worth" the best players would earn much more and 1000s of players would be paying to play.  

No simple answer. 

• See lots of people panicking that we don't have many players... for a bit of context..

First team players:

Sunderland - 13
    Sheffield Wednesday - 12
    Ipswich - 18
    Charlton - 14
    Portsmouth - 14
    Rotherham - 18
    Oxford - 20
    Lincoln - 14
    Wigan - 15
    Bolton - 20
    The numbers don't tell the whole story though, as you also need to consider whether the players in the squad are first teamers or backups

According to wiki, we have 15 players. That includes the injured JFC, Pearce and Watson who are designated backup this season, and Ronnie who is completely unproven in English football, so that's 11 players. And of that 11, we have Gunter and Purrington who will probably be squad/backup full backs this season, and AMB a backup keeper, so we are lacking a significant number of "first 11" players

Of course we still have time to sign them, but I am getting slightly twitchy. It's a bit disappointing that nothing has been announced so far this week.

Foden is on at least 25-30k and is about to sign a new deal that'll earn him over 100k a week.
  • Still that was their wage at one point and that's crazy to me for league 1 slogger to be paid near the same.

Then again football wages are ridiculous in general 
  • See lots of people panicking that we don't have many players... for a bit of context..

First team players:

Sunderland - 13
    Sheffield Wednesday - 12
    Ipswich - 18
    Charlton - 14
    Portsmouth - 14
    Rotherham - 18
    Oxford - 20
    Lincoln - 14
    Wigan - 15
    Bolton - 20
    The numbers don't tell the whole story though, as you also need to consider whether the players in the squad are first teamers or backups

According to wiki, we have 15 players. That includes the injured JFC, Pearce and Watson who are designated backup this season, and Ronnie who is completely unproven in English football, so that's 11 players. And of that 11, we have Gunter and Purrington who will probably be squad/backup full backs this season, and AMB a backup keeper, so we are lacking a significant number of "first 11" players

Of course we still have time to sign them, but I am getting slightly twitchy. It's a bit disappointing that nothing has been announced so far this week.
    I counted first team as anyone with over 20 senior appearances, it’s too hard to guess suspect first XI players at other clubs. In the other clubs numbers there are plenty of back ups too.

I honestly don’t see that we are at a major disadvantage to the competition right now. Wigan are doing a lot of business because they had to. 

Ipswich are the only other team I see here in a similar boat to us that are perhaps getting their business done early.

Rotherham, Oxford have an advantage of a settle squad off the bat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Rudders22 said:
    I find it odd that 3 players that HAD been linked that Cawley said we are not interested in, haven't signed for anyone yet? Tucker, Mullins and Pigott?  Did pigott come through our youth? Is he a Charlton fan?
    Pigott was allegedly a joke. 

Tucker and Mullins the poster seems insistent on. 

Blackpool through a link to Joe's brother has already stated that Joe and Cafc are history. 
    Tucker and Mullins remain rumours with no real substance.
    Spoke to his brother only a few days ago. 
    He ain't coming to Charlton. 

Dazzler does this make me in the know 
    Technically yes, but I don't think he was ever a real rumour... At least according to @Addicks59 he was merely 'a joke' suggestion. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Wigan putting the rates up in league 1 by going all out for an average player who had one good season. Would much rather Stockley, I can see it going wrong there if they don’t go up. 
    Those rates will only remain high if others choose to meet the other higher prices. 
  • I get that some people want to make up rumours and pretend they are in the know. We all know who they are by now and I now skip their posts if I can knowing it’s a load of old bollocks. But come on, if you are going to make stuff up at least make it somewhat believable. I mean 9k a week for some average winger from Gillingham? Do you think we are all stupid?
    Do you though ? Why would anybody make a rumour up ? That would be just strange
  • edited July 2021
  • Who are the Wigan owners?! They really lucked out at the 11th hour with whoever it is

How can Foden be on £12k a week and Mesi on £400k a week ? Not saying they are on a level par but are they £388k a week different ?
  • Not convinced Covered_End_Lad has a clue to be honest. Doesn't say a word about who it is, then someone pipes up and yeh its him!
    He's been right a number of times and Solomon-ottabor/unnamed signing was his first incorrect one.

Correct- Covered_End_Lad- Oshilaja Released
    Correct- Covered_End_Lad- Aneke offered contract (publicly confirmed several times)
    Correct- Covered_End_Lad- Pearce offered contract (Signing announced 22/06/21)
    Correct- Covered_End_Lad- F.Caskey offered contract
    Correct- Covered_End_Lad- At least one more signing this week (WB 28/06)
  • After my 2 for Tuesday prediction I’d like to change it to this is going to be a very quiet week.
    I'm going for " fuck all Wednesday " lol
  • After my 2 for Tuesday prediction I’d like to change it to this is going to be a very quiet week.
    don't worry I didn't add it to the list.
  • So back to Jordan Ibe…was that being classed as a no way,not happening type thing…?
  • Sponsored links:

• So back to Jordan Ibe…was that being classed as a no way,not happening type thing…?
    I've not added it to the list as I don't believe it was ever a serious rumour by a Lifer. No idea whether there is any truth in it.
  • edited July 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    So back to Jordan Ibe…was that being classed as a no way,not happening type thing…?
    I've not added it to the list as I don't believe it was ever a serious rumour by a Lifer. No idea whether there is any truth in it.
    On that note, I have it on good authority that Ibe will be signing for us tomorrow. 
  • AndyG said:
    After my 2 for Tuesday prediction I’d like to change it to this is going to be a very quiet week.
    I'm going for " fuck all Wednesday " lol
    I’m going for an all out Friday…👍
  • Wyke isn't even that good.
  • AndyG said:
    Sorry but that's not sustainable surely 

How can Foden be on £12k a week and Mesi on £400k a week ? Not saying they are on a level par but are they £388k a week different ?
    There shouldn't but the number of shirts sold with Messi on the back are infinitely more than that with Foden emblazoned. Plus Messi has probably been playing at the top for about 15 years longer than Foden.
  • AndyG said:

There shouldn't but the number of shirts sold with Messi on the back are infinitely more than that with Foden emblazoned. Plus Messi has probably been playing at the top for about 15 years longer than Foden.
    That's the real long and short of it, Messi's salary has built up over his career. Foden's is just starting out. 
  • edited July 2021
    Still that was their wage at one point and that's crazy to me for league 1 slogger to be paid near the same.

Then again football wages are ridiculous in general 
    I know a Chelsea youth player that’s on 30k a week. Crazy money for someone that’s only made a couple of senior appearances but that tends to be the going rate for quite a few of there youth players.
  • AndyG said:

According to this he is on 30k

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-city-set-offer-phil-23926837.amp
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!