Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Bradley Pritchard 24 May 2011
    Paul Hayes 21 June 2011
    Dale Stephens 30 Jun, 2011
    Danny Green  30 Jun, 2011
    Danny Hollands  01 Jul, 2011
    Rhoys Wiggins 01 Jul, 2011
    Ruben Bover Izquierdo  01 Jul, 2011
    Michael Morrison  08 Jul, 2011
    Matt Taylor 15 Jul, 2011
    Andy Hughes 31 Jul, 2011
    Mikel Alonso 01 Aug, 2011
    Ben Hamer 01 Aug, 2011
    Jason Euell 10 Aug, 2011
    Leon Cort 30 Aug 2011
    Michael Smith 31 Aug, 2011
    Yann Kermorgant 13 Sep, 2011
    Leon Clarke 01 Jan, 2012
    Danny Haynes 13 Jan, 2012

The only existing squad members who made a meaningful contribution were Solly, BWP, Jackson and Wagstaff. We are probably less than one week behind where we were then.

So, can I suggest that we don't press the panic button for a little while longer. I would rather we lost 10-0 to Celtic on Saturday if that means that ultimately we end up signing the right players rather than just doing so for the sake of having 15 pros for one or two friendly fixtures.

But, finally, there might well be people on here who are truly in the know. Who are aware that TS is just another in our long line of liars and fraudsters that have owned our glorious Club. If that is really the case then we really do need to know. Otherwise let's just trust that TS and NA know what they are doing.

This is a good / reassuring post. The only thing that has caused a bit of concern so far is the switch in goalkeeping coaches. On the face of it, it seems a downgrade to appoint millwall's u18 goalkeeping coach in place of our experienced coach. However, everybody has to step up sometime and we have to trust Roddy and Adkins to know their stuff here and it hasn't put our new keeper off. In summary, i agree, there isn't any real cause for concern atm but nothing wrong with discussing it.  
  • Valley11 said:
    sam3110 said:

The power of Henners
    That is hilarious 
    Charlton Athletic are monitoring the transfer availability of Kylian Mbappé, who is understood to be unsettled at Paris Saint-Germain and open to a move to League One in England. It is understood that Charlton have already made initial contact with the French striker, and that Mbappé was impressed with what Addicks manager Nigel Adkins had to say to him about the club's long term ambitions, and the chance of winning the EFL Trophy this season. 

Charlton will face stiff competition though, as both Wigan Athletic and Sunderland are also interested in the PSG star, with Sunderland rumoured to have offered Charlie Wyke as part of their bid. Ipswich Town had been another club interested in Mbappé, but have now switched their attention to Raheem Sterling.
    Gordon Bennett, Ronnie got pelters for missing that penalty, Mbappe, no thanks!
    Gordon Bennett confirmed?  Get it on the sheet Daz!! 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Chunes said:
    FFS, our prospects are a lot bloody brighter this summer than if TS hadn't taken over. 

The lack of perspective is unreal! Bunch of entitled whiners
    Does that mean we should just accept anything because it’s better than last summer? 

The squad is a million miles away from being able to ‘blow the division out of water’ and I doubt anyone thought we’d be where we are at this stage, come the last game of the season. 
    Now look at what I've posted above and say, hand on heart, if SCP told you on the 6th July 2011 that we would get 101 points that season with the squad we had at that time you wouldn't have had the same doubts? 
  • Chunes said:
    Need I remind anyone the only reason TS is our owner is because that thieving lawyer Farnell, in an inexplicable twist of fate, miswrote his legal brief.

Otherwise we would 100% be sitting here at our computers or phones discussing the season's prospects under Elliott & Farnell. And it would be hopeless. Utterly hopeless.

Now we've got an owner who absolutely lives and breathes Charlton, and there's people on here complaining we're not gonna blow the league out of the water... before we even know what the squad is...

Have a cup of tea. Take a deep breath. I'm sure you're all absolutely solid Charlton fans with many miles traveled more than me. But this is just not on.
    Ah ha.....but Farnell sold the club to the Welsh Accountant. I'm sure with him in charge things would have been looking a lot better.

Shame on TS for putting his oar in just when the right owner was here to help us.

😁
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    Now updated:

• edited July 2021
    Chunes said:
    Need I remind anyone the only reason TS is our owner is because that thieving lawyer Farnell, in an inexplicable twist of fate, miswrote his legal brief.

Otherwise we would 100% be sitting here at our computers or phones discussing the season's prospects under Elliott & Farnell. And it would be hopeless. Utterly hopeless.

Now we've got an owner who absolutely lives and breathes Charlton, and there's people on here complaining we're not gonna blow the league out of the water... before we even know what the squad is...

Have a cup of tea. Take a deep breath. I'm sure you're all absolutely solid Charlton fans with many miles traveled more than me. But this is just not on.
    Agree with most of your post @Chunes, and we certainly do have an owner who has shown utter belief in where we are and where we are going, but I wouldn't say we were complaining about not going to blow the league, just reacting to the very thing you describe, Thomas and his enthusiasm .
    After all the shite before him we need something to hold onto and I for one want to jump aboard with Thomas, in the mean time yes I will join you in a cuppa and enjoy the next couple of weeks (which will be crucial) as we know, but I have every faith in our Gaffer and Thomas.
  • Bradley Pritchard 24 May 2011
    Paul Hayes 21 June 2011
    Matt Taylor 15 Jul, 2011
    Andy Hughes 31 Jul, 2011
    Ben Hamer 01 Aug, 2011
    Jason Euell 10 Aug, 2011
    Leon Cort 30 Aug 2011
    Leon Clarke 01 Jan, 2012

The only existing squad members who made a meaningful contribution were Solly, BWP, Jackson and Wagstaff. We are probably less than one week behind where we were then.

So, can I suggest that we don't press the panic button for a little while longer. I would rather we lost 10-0 to Celtic on Saturday if that means that ultimately we end up signing the right players rather than just doing so for the sake of having 15 pros for one or two friendly fixtures.

But, finally, there might well be people on here who are truly in the know. Who are aware that TS is just another in our long line of liars and fraudsters that have owned our glorious Club. If that is really the case then we really do need to know. Otherwise let's just trust that TS and NA know what they are doing.

Some of those dates are wrong though I agree with the point, we’re in a decent position if we get a 3/4 more done over the next few weeks.
    Scoham said:
    I've had a look back when we made our signings in summer 2011. By this point we had signed one first team regular in Hollands, a squad player in Pritchard (but in reality came in with little or no expecations) and Sullivan as a back up goalkeeper.

Late June/early July is when it really got moving.

24 May Hollands and Pritchard
    31 May Sullivan
    21 Jun  Hayes, Evina and Alonso
    29 Jun  Stephens and Green
    30 Jun  Wiggins
    1   Jul   Taylor
    7   Jul   Morrison
    1   Aug Hamer and Hughes
    10 Aug Euell
    29 Aug Cort
    14 Sep Kermorgant

• edited July 2021

Carry on spreading the gossip, because occasionally you may be spot on with your Neighbour's, brother's dentist from Cambridge who said that Paul Mullins is a done deal and will be announced on Monday.

The lying Bar Steward.
    Never will I pass on info again unless I hear it straight from the horse's mouth !

Nay never,  unless I get direct incisor info.

E by gum, let's have some wisdom to get our teeth into.

• edited July 2021
    Scoham said:
    Bradley Pritchard 24 May 2011
    Paul Hayes 21 June 2011
    Matt Taylor 15 Jul, 2011
    Andy Hughes 31 Jul, 2011
    Ben Hamer 01 Aug, 2011
    Jason Euell 10 Aug, 2011
    Leon Cort 30 Aug 2011
    Leon Clarke 01 Jan, 2012

Some of those dates are wrong though I agree with the point, we’re in a decent position if we get a 3/4 more done over the next few weeks.
    Scoham said:
    I've had a look back when we made our signings in summer 2011. By this point we had signed one first team regular in Hollands, a squad player in Pritchard (but in reality came in with little or no expecations) and Sullivan as a back up goalkeeper.

Late June/early July is when it really got moving.

24 May Hollands and Pritchard
    31 May Sullivan
    21 Jun  Hayes, Evina and Alonso
    29 Jun  Stephens and Green
    30 Jun  Wiggins
    1   Jul   Taylor
    7   Jul   Morrison
    1   Aug Hamer and Hughes
    10 Aug Euell
    29 Aug Cort
    14 Sep Kermorgant

Different team, and slightly different circumstances last year but Peterboroughs last two signings were Clarke Harris and Szmodics.

I know football is an emotional rollercoaster of a game, and that's the beauty of it, but I really fail to see how grown Adults - who have been through countless transfer windows before - can some how be making a decision this early in the transfer window that they are happy/not happy with the current squad activity.

Be happy with have an owner who is ambitious and wants us to get promoted, and don't use it as a point of some fantasy situation that does not meet your expectations where you think we should have a strong squad of players already, training together, in pre-season.
  • edited July 2021
    PaddyP17 said:
    Chunes said:
    Need I remind anyone that the only reason TS is our owner is because that thieving lawyer Farnell, in an inexplicable twist of fate, miswrote his legal brief!

Now we've got an owner who absolutely lives and breathes Charlton, and there's people on here complaining we're not gonna blow the league out of the water... before we even know what the squad is!

Have a cup of tea. Take a deep breath. I'm sure you're all absolutely solid Charlton fans with many miles traveled more than me. This entitlement is just not on.
    To be fair, having an owner who isn't a charlatan/headcase/criminal is sort of the bare minimum I'd want, and it's okay for people to express grievances about the playing side of things.

That said, I'm not panicking. Ages to go, and I would expect to see at least two at some point this week, including a player that was on no-one's radar (probably a centre back) (not a rumour btw, just gut instinct). The current setup seem to be slightly less leak-friendly so excited for some surprises.

Well said Paddy; You're a man who can always come up with a good answer !
  • Chunes said:
    FFS, our prospects are a lot bloody brighter this summer than if TS hadn't taken over. 

The lack of perspective is unreal! Bunch of entitled whiners
    I totaly agree & for the record I dont lack perspective. However, it might have been better all round if TS hadn't have said all the things he has (around Premier League ambitions & getting out if this division) as its given some people false hope. I, for one, am not expecting anything different this season than what we saw last season. 

I was pleasantly surprised with how well we did last season.

I would be equally surprised if we do not play and cope better with injuries this season as I believe that the overall squad will stronger. The competition looks like it may well be stronger as well so it will be interesting to see how competitive we are. I am betting a whole shilling we finish in the top six.

(By the way golfie, I predicted that Lincoln would finish in the top six last season on a thread on here. Collected a lot of LOL’s as well!).
  • @Dazzler21 Joe Watkins has gone to Forest, Lucas Ness has signed a new deal, Miles Leaburn is a 2nd year scholar
  • Sponsored links:

• Now I might be barking totally up the wrong tree here in which case no doubt someone will correct me. The point might also have been made in which case I apologise in advance.

I got the distinct impression that Cawley had a special relationship with LB because of the number of times Cawley was used by our former Manager. Could it just be that the current management structure aren't yet as cosy with Cawley hence the lack of info coming from him?
  • edited July 2021
    @Dazzler21 Joe Watkins has gone to Forest, Lucas Ness has signed a new deal, Miles Leaburn is a 2nd year scholar
    Thank you @Henry Irving Updated

• Our CM isn't strong enough yet to deem our team to have a strong spine. 
  • Now I might be barking totally up the wrong tree here in which case no doubt someone will correct me. The point might also have been made in which case I apologise in advance.

I got the distinct impression that Cawley had a special relationship with LB because of the number of times Cawley was used by our former Manager. Could it just be that the current management structure aren't yet as cosy with Cawley hence the lack of info coming from him?

Bowyer most likely wouldn’t have been the source for Cawley’s transfer news. I imagine he has a number of sources and then contacts people at the club for comment. 

Here’s a story that went up today with Nigel Adkins giving quotes directly the Cawley: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-pleased-to-have-strengthened-spine-of-his-side/

It’s not as if Cawley has been silent or hasn’t got any information to share, he’s just batting off false rumours before they can get off the ground. 
  • edited July 2021
  • Blimey another 70 posts of squabbles.

(Is Paul Mullin ironing scarfy?)
  • Chunes said:

If in fact there was even still a club to discuss.......
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!