Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• I'm more than happy to go into the season with the squad we have now. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the younger players step up in the next year. For me the most important thing is for the club to try and become as solvent as possible. I know it's pretty hard in League 1 to achieve but with a some creativity and thinking outside the box from a marketing strategy point of view I do believe the club and fanbase can make it happen. If I was being greedy I agree with thenewbie a centre back of Famewo standard will be an added bonus. We will be in and amongst the promotion shake up of this I have no doubt.
    really?
  • McGillivray, AMB
    Gunter
    Pearce, Inniss
    Purrington
    Watson, Dobson, JFC, Gilbey, Morgan
    Jaiyesimi
    Stockley, Washington, Schwartz

Davison, Vennings also around maybe, and any of the other under 23's that might be used.

If you think that's a promotion worthy squad, then may I suggest the Ladywell Unit as your next port of call!
  • I'm more than happy to go into the season with the squad we have now. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the younger players step up in the next year. For me the most important thing is for the club to try and become as solvent as possible. I know it's pretty hard in League 1 to achieve but with a some creativity and thinking outside the box from a marketing strategy point of view I do believe the club and fanbase can make it happen. If I was being greedy I agree with thenewbie a centre back of Famewo standard will be an added bonus. We will be in and amongst the promotion shake up of this I have no doubt.

Jesus I hope not, we're still about 8-9 short (minimum). The squad wasn't good enough last year for promotion and as things stand we're significantly weaker. 

For me we still need:

GK (If AMB is loaned out)
    RB (If Matthews goes)
    CB x 2
    LB
    CM x 2
    Winger x 2
    Striker
    This in spades & glad its not just me.

I know I may came across as a negative Nancy & always moaning, but please just take a minute & look at where we are currently, where we need to be to be better than last season & ask yourself.....are you happy.
    Why would I let my emotions and expectations of the season be dictated by the current playing squad when the first kick of the season is over 4 weeks away. 

• Interesting comments from Gary Rowett on the realities of loan transfers to League One:

“There has been a lot of speculation about League One clubs for some of our players, which is natural,” Rowett told the South London Press. “But it is difficult for League One clubs, at this moment in time, to spend a decent amount of wages to secure a Championship player on a Championship contract." .........(more)

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/millwall-boss-explains-why-league-one-moves-could-be-tricky-to-conclude/

• sam3110 said:

The power of Henners
    DFTT
  • We've been told that Watson and Pearce aren't going to be starters. At the moment, we not brought in our first team players unless other clubs start moving (Portsmouth and AFC), so just chillllllllll.
  • sam3110 said:

The power of Henners
    DFTT
    LLLBH
    What ???!!!!

The squad we have now consists of 13 first teamers.....plus a handful of U23's who (apart from Barker) haven't played a league game between them.

Yes, I know we will add in the obligatory 5 loans (which will have to be replaced season after season ad infinitum).

If you seriously think that just 3 new players is acceptable to start the season then either you or I are mad.

I'm off for a lie down.

PS. Someone please post up the current first team squad just for reference. Perhaps I've over slept & missed all the new signings. 
    Forgive me. But I have faith in the whole set up at the club as it stands from top to bottom. I really do think that the Bowyer factor along with the injury to both Innis and Famewo had a significant effect last time out. With the support the team will no doubt get from the fans plus the new approach from Nigel I believe the extra 5-10 % that can be extracted from the players old and young will be enough to have a good go. Yes I know I'm also hanging my hat to a degree on Innis staying fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    sam3110 said:

The power of Henners
    That is hilarious 
    Charlton Athletic are monitoring the transfer availability of Kylian Mbappé, who is understood to be unsettled at Paris Saint-Germain and open to a move to League One in England. It is understood that Charlton have already made initial contact with the French striker, and that Mbappé was impressed with what Addicks manager Nigel Adkins had to say to him about the club's long term ambitions, and the chance of winning the EFL Trophy this season. 

Charlton will face stiff competition though, as both Wigan Athletic and Sunderland are also interested in the PSG star, with Sunderland rumoured to have offered Charlie Wyke as part of their bid. Ipswich Town had been another club interested in Mbappé, but have now switched their attention to Raheem Sterling.
  • The defence remains the biggest area of concern for me.

We have one fullback for each side (not including Matthews who is playing the market it seems) both of which are capable in L1, but not exactly of the Wiggins/Solly quality we had in the champions season under SCP. We have one aging defender in Pearce who is (slowly) riding off into the coaching sunset, and another defender, Inniss, who although is quality is injury prone.

We need at least one of each of those positions minimum!
  • The defence remains the biggest area of concern for me.

We have one fullback for each side (not including Matthews who is playing the market it seems) both of which are capable in L1, but not exactly of the Wiggins/Solly quality we had in the champions season under SCP. We have one aging defender in Pearce who is (slowly) riding off into the coaching sunset, and another defender, Inniss, who although is quality is injury prone.

We need at least one of each of those positions minimum!
    I think full-back will be a position/positions sorted by loans, it's always been important for the spine to be club players for me. Contraversially, Purrington/Gunter are good enough back-ups for me so I'd like to see promising young talent fill those positions if Matthews doesn't sign.
  • For all those panicking that we've "only signed 3 players", Sunderland are owned by a billionaire and have signed...........absolutely nobody. This is their current squad.

Still one more player then us. I’m not panicking mind you. 
  • Vfrf said:
    Extraordinary amount of bed-wetting taking place considering we've signed arguably the best goalkeeper AND striker in the league as well as being over a MONTH away from competitive football. Cawley has already confirmed we're looking at top tier players for this league which means there is an element of seeing what Championship movement takes place, of which there has been very little. Besides Wigan who have had a bigger rebuild than us, and Ipswich, there has been little movement across all teams.
    I'm sure we'd all like to sign 8x top-tier League One players and have a month of pre-season, but that just isn't football I'm afraid. I'm 99% confident that by Sheffield Wednesday we will have a competitive 11 to take the game to them.
    No bed wetting at this end however:

Thomas & Nigel have made several statements saying we are going for promotion and I would have thought to get some business done early would have been better rather than the new players missing a large chunk of pre season. I know we can, and probably will sign one or two and they will slot right in however I was just expecting a little more considering the statements. 

Also lets not forget that Nigel stated we had the oldest squad on League 1 last season and he wanted that to change, re-signing Ben Watson, Pearce and no decent younger players (as yet) does not indicate any change.

I personally don't thing the new keeper will add anymore to our squad so no improvement has been made there and if you are referring to Stockley as the best striker in League 1 the link below would suggest otherwise, even if you take out the promoted players.

League One Top Scorers - BBC Sport
  • For all those panicking that we've "only signed 3 players", Sunderland are owned by a billionaire and have signed...........absolutely nobody. This is their current squad.

Expect a couple of those will be leaving as well e.g. Grigg and O’Nien

Can't we play them right now?

• Sponsored links:

This exactly, and of the teams that have signed a few players, no one has signed anyone of real quality. Take wigan for example, they've been busy but i wouldn't say any of their signings are real top of the league quality. Quality over quantity signings I say is what we need. 

No he wont, has signed a new deal till 2024

Source :p
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    For all those panicking that we've "only signed 3 players", Sunderland are owned by a billionaire and have signed...........absolutely nobody. This is their current squad.

Source :p
    Ronnie ;)
  • Vfrf said:
    Extraordinary amount of bed-wetting taking place considering we've signed arguably the best goalkeeper AND striker in the league as well as being over a MONTH away from competitive football. Cawley has already confirmed we're looking at top tier players for this league which means there is an element of seeing what Championship movement takes place, of which there has been very little. Besides Wigan who have had a bigger rebuild than us, and Ipswich, there has been little movement across all teams.
    I'm sure we'd all like to sign 8x top-tier League One players and have a month of pre-season, but that just isn't football I'm afraid. I'm 99% confident that by Sheffield Wednesday we will have a competitive 11 to take the game to them.

Thomas & Nigel have made several statements saying we are going for promotion and I would have thought to get some business done early would have been better rather than the new players missing a large chunk of pre season. I know we can, and probably will sign one or two and they will slot right in however I was just expecting a little more considering the statements. 

Also lets not forget that Nigel stated we had the oldest squad on League 1 last season and he wanted that to change, re-signing Ben Watson, Pearce and no decent younger players (as yet) does not indicate any change.

I personally don't thing the new keeper will add anymore to our squad so no improvement has been made there and if you are referring to Stockley as the best striker in League 1 the link below would suggest otherwise, even if you take out the promoted players.

Last time I checked Stockley only played 22 games in league one last season.

Bit of an unfair comparison to make really.
  • Vfrf said:

Valid points, but I stand by it's better to wait for stronger players to be available than panic buy the Jordan Cousins/Max Powers of the League like Wigan have done. They undoubtedly stand by their statements and there's clearly intent but they're also not magicians - they can't just magic up Championship options once their squads are confirfmed, or Premier League loans when some are likely in the Euro squads.
    Watson and Pearce have both been told they're backups, as well as mentors. Pratley and Amos out with Dobson and MacGillevry(sp) in are also moving in the right direction, your interpretation of what constitues 'decent' may be different to mine but we're still signing in the right bracket, multi-year deals which is an improvement on last years recruitment.
    I think MacGillivray is an improvement based on how often Amos conceded goals from range last year (though granted he had a decent year with 1 on 1s, still very replaceable) and finally, goals aren't the only thing that makes a striker - especially in a team like Charlton. We had an awful midfield last year which I fully expect to be improved, and even still Stockley scored almost double figures in half a season as well as what he brings to the team defensively, from set-pieces, work-rate, link up play - to say the best striker is simply who scores the most goals is very one-dimensional to say the least.

Jesus I hope not, we're still about 8-9 short (minimum). The squad wasn't good enough last year for promotion and as things stand we're significantly weaker. 

For me we still need:

RB (If Matthews goes)
    CB x 2
    LB
    CM x 2
    Winger x 2
    Striker

I know I may came across as a negative Nancy & always moaning, but please just take a minute & look at where we are currently, where we need to be to be better than last season & ask yourself.....are you happy.

No. 
  • edited July 2021
    Bradley Pritchard 24 May 2011
    Paul Hayes 21 June 2011
    Dale Stephens 30 Jun, 2011
    Danny Green  30 Jun, 2011
    Danny Hollands  01 Jul, 2011
    Rhoys Wiggins 01 Jul, 2011
    Ruben Bover Izquierdo  01 Jul, 2011
    Michael Morrison  08 Jul, 2011
    Matt Taylor 15 Jul, 2011
    Andy Hughes 31 Jul, 2011
    Mikel Alonso 01 Aug, 2011
    Ben Hamer 01 Aug, 2011
    Jason Euell 10 Aug, 2011
    Leon Cort 30 Aug 2011
    Michael Smith 31 Aug, 2011
    Yann Kermorgant 13 Sep, 2011
    Leon Clarke 01 Jan, 2012
    Danny Haynes 13 Jan, 2012

The only existing squad members who made a meaningful contribution were Solly, BWP, Jackson and Wagstaff. We are probably less than one week behind where we were then.

So, can I suggest that we don't press the panic button for a little while longer. I would rather we lost 10-0 to Celtic on Saturday if that means that ultimately we end up signing the right players rather than just doing so for the sake of having 15 pros for one or two friendly fixtures.

But, finally, there might well be people on here who are truly in the know. Who are aware that TS is just another in our long line of liars and fraudsters that have owned our glorious Club. If that is really the case then we really do need to know. Otherwise let's just trust that TS and NA know what they are doing.

For me we still need:

RB (If Matthews goes)
    CB x 2
    LB
    CM x 2
    Winger x 2
    Striker

No. 

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!