Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Abandon Ship!
  • Feel meh about both leaving. Need to see players coming in next week just to calm fans nerves, 
  • Camara just thought of it plus Mathew's going.And another incoming Morrell. 
  • Addicks59 said:
    Camara just thought of it plus Mathew's going.And another incoming Morrell. 
    I hope you are even 50% on the money with those players mate
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If anyone thinks we will sign another striker that can, and will, score 15 odd goals from the bench they need to give thier head a wobble.

Last season the problem wasn't "Chuks can't play 90 minutes" the problem was, for large parts, we didn't have a striker that could.  Let alone 2.
    Here's the problem with Chuks.

Scoring goals is good. Scoring 15 goals off the bench is a great luxury for a team in League One. The kind of player that wouldn't be coming off the bench at all if he wasn't riddled with fitness issues.

If consistently fit, he could start and bag you 25-30 a season. But he's never going to be that player. So you have to carry him as a part of a larger squad where the starters are better than the subs. And that's not feasible for any League One team.

You can't build a squad around a player with his injury record. It's either come off the bench for a team in League One or do the same job for a team in the Championship. He's chosen the latter, no surprise.

We couldn't swing a big payday to keep him because who knows how many minutes he'll see next season.
    Do you have a striker on the bench ever game?  Chuks got paid less for us than Igor or Ajose.  You don't have to throw a "big pay day". 

Chuks, Stockley, Washington and A. N. Other would comfortably score 50 goals in a season.

Chuks, Washington, Smyth and Bogle wouldn't.

Stockley (a good target man anyway) was the missing link, as I said in December, before we even signed him.

Why we didn't get JFC, Aneke and Amos's contracts signed months ago is my issue. 
    We tried... can't force him to sign anything

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-keen-on-aneke-signing-new-contract-as-boss-bowyer-talks-about-impossible-situation/
  • ButtleJR said:
    No chance he's passing a medical haha. Don't think he'll do a great deal at that level. 

He strong and powerful why won't he score in the championship ?

Having found out the reason why his time on the field was limited, I don't believe he will fail the medical at Birmingham. Medicals are so different from club to club.

Heard of a young lad who failed a medical at one Prem club and then signed for another a week later. This happens quite often apparently.

Chuks was superb for Cafc in the limited playing time he had last season.
    Bowyer is Birmingham manager and he has got a goal scoring 9 or 10 on a free transfer.

Great business for them and a major blow for Cafc.

Makes Steve Gallen job even harder now.

So what was the reason why his time on the field was limited ?
  • so @Addicks59 is saying Matthews out too and Randall, Gomes, McGillivray, Tucker, Morrell and Camera in. Is that right? 
  • so @Addicks59 is saying Matthews out too and Randall, Gomes, McGillivray, Tucker, Morrell and Camera in. Is that right? 
    BOO not Mathews !!! TS out 🙄🙄
  • edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If anyone thinks we will sign another striker that can, and will, score 15 odd goals from the bench they need to give thier head a wobble.

Last season the problem wasn't "Chuks can't play 90 minutes" the problem was, for large parts, we didn't have a striker that could.  Let alone 2.
    Here's the problem with Chuks.

Scoring goals is good. Scoring 15 goals off the bench is a great luxury for a team in League One. The kind of player that wouldn't be coming off the bench at all if he wasn't riddled with fitness issues.

If consistently fit, he could start and bag you 25-30 a season. But he's never going to be that player. So you have to carry him as a part of a larger squad where the starters are better than the subs. And that's not feasible for any League One team.

You can't build a squad around a player with his injury record. It's either come off the bench for a team in League One or do the same job for a team in the Championship. He's chosen the latter, no surprise.

We couldn't swing a big payday to keep him because who knows how many minutes he'll see next season.
    Do you have a striker on the bench ever game?  Chuks got paid less for us than Igor or Ajose.  You don't have to throw a "big pay day". 

Chuks, Stockley, Washington and A. N. Other would comfortably score 50 goals in a season.

Chuks, Washington, Smyth and Bogle wouldn't.

Stockley (a good target man anyway) was the missing link, as I said in December, before we even signed him.

Why we didn't get JFC, Aneke and Amos's contracts signed months ago is my issue. 
    We tried... can't force him to sign anything

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-keen-on-aneke-signing-new-contract-as-boss-bowyer-talks-about-impossible-situation/
    That article doesn't say we tried it says we were going to try.  There was a later article that said we can't try because we don't know what divison we will be in.......

Edit:  its here to save you looking. 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-chief-explains-why-contract-talks-are-on-hold/

You will find me pointing out how they contradict on page 16ish of the Chuks thread.

Next time you post an article to prove a point, read it first :-) 
  • Sponsored links:

•  Chuks and Amos off, it's a weird one, looks and sounds bad but also might not be when you consider Amos wasn't stand out amazing (I was a fan and would have liked him to stay) he's the sort of player that COULD be easily replaced. 

Aneke's goals will be hard to replace when you consider his main role was impact sub. Will you find a free signing that will come off the bench and almost guarantee you a goal with 20 mins to go?  Get a player of similar ability in who can do a full 90 and it's then chuks who?!? 

I keep going back to Adkins' saints side in the prem and the formations and personnel he used and Aneke doesn't seem to quite fit in* gives hope in the sense that Adkins may have seen his re-signing as a "bonus" and the first choice partner for Stockley is still being targeted/dealt with. 

*442 at home against sides to beat, big forward and pacey partner, 433/4231 mix home and away against the though sides, big man with winger and wide playmaker / AM.

• Cafc43v3r said:

Looks like Wigan are taking their rebuild seriously..... 
    Lucky Wigan
  • Redrobo said:
    Sam Vokes would be an interesting signing. Maybe Stoke would loan.
    Please no. Been a donkey for them and not someone who’d complement stockley. 
  • Most people on here were calling for a complete squad rebuild at the end of last season.  Now they're getting upset cause we're losing some of last season's squad!!!

Classic Charlton Life!!
    To be fair a rebuild would require actually, well, building. So far we've got rid of some players to make room without much sign of actually replacing them.

Obviously we don't know what is happening behind the scenes but regardless of nebulous chat about quality and depth, in pure number terms we're well short right now. Until signings do come in (which they will) it's hard to be confident.
  • J BLOCK said:
    People trying to justify it. Ultimately two key players we’ve offered contracts too have rejected. Let’s not make excuses. We’ve also signed zero new players for the team that finished last season. 
    Equally, I think people are forgetting

He isn’t our player! 

He stopped being out player at the end of last season. Same with Amos. 

It feels like some are reacting as if we are selling contracted players on the cheap. 
    Sorry but that’s wrong. They were both our players for the past 8 weeks and they haven’t signed the contracts given to them. 

That’s our first choice goalkeeper and top goal scorer. 
  • RedChaser said:
    I really can’t get too wound up about Amos and Chucks leaving. They saw out there contracts, gave of their best fitness permitting and have decided to move on. It’s a short career, they need to make as much money as they can to set themselves up for the rest of their lives. Good luck to them and thanks for the memories. 
    Or they could get a job.
  • It's  shame Aneke ha gone and looks like Amos will go. We don't know what s going on behind the scenes. Who knows we may have players lined up alrady and now these 2 are going we will see movement. 
  • More disappointed at losing Chuks than Amos, as for all his fitness issues Chuks is a beast at L1 level, whereas to me Amos is replaceable. 

Looking at the Powell title season, we brought in 2 players on the 29th June, 4 on the 1st July and Morrison on the 8th, completing a significant amount of our transfer business before pre season matches started. It would be nice to have something similar this summer...
  • Sponsored links:

• Who knows maybe we’ve got a few lined up quietly and things’ll pick up, all we know for now is we’ve lost our starting keeper, top goal scorer and the better of the 2 ancient midfielders and are far worse off now than we were with the squad that couldn’t make the playoffs in a much poorer division last season. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    People trying to justify it. Ultimately two key players we’ve offered contracts too have rejected. Let’s not make excuses. We’ve also signed zero new players for the team that finished last season. 

He isn’t our player! 

It feels like some are reacting as if we are selling contracted players on the cheap. 
    Sorry but that’s wrong. They were both our players for the past 8 weeks and they haven’t signed the contracts given to them. 

Both of which failed to contribute to the minimum requirement of making the playoffs,, therefore not good enough, thanks and goodbye.

• Not only me that said "proof will be in the pudding" @Henry Irving @Oggy Red you made me think I was going mad 😂😂😂😂
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:

He isn’t our player! 

Yes, but they effectively were no more a Charlton player than a player of any other club.
    Their contracts expired.
    Amos allegedly wanted to move near "home".
    Aneke wanted to play in a higher division.
    What would you have done to make them sign against their wishes?
    Let’s just look at facts. 

Top goal scorer - rejected our contract 

Number 1 Goalkeeper - rejected our contract 

Best midfielder - yet to sign 

ZERO new players from last season in the building. No matter how you look at it, it isn’t pretty and not what anyone of us expected as we head into pre-season. 
  • RedChaser said:
    I really can’t get too wound up about Amos and Chucks leaving. They saw out there contracts, gave of their best fitness permitting and have decided to move on. It’s a short career, they need to make as much money as they can to set themselves up for the rest of their lives. Good luck to them and thanks for the memories. 
    Or they could get a job.
    I know that was tongue in cheek, of course they could but why would you if you could amass sufficient funds  to provide an income eg investing into a property portfolio 🤔.
  • edited June 2021
    We need a keeper to start the season. Remember AMB is with the Aussies in Japan.

Whilst not saying they will reach the Final but that competition ends the same day we are playing the Massives. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:

He isn’t our player! 

Yes, but they effectively were no more a Charlton player than a player of any other club.
    Their contracts expired.
    Amos allegedly wanted to move near "home".
    Aneke wanted to play in a higher division.
    What would you have done to make them sign against their wishes?
    Let’s just look at facts. 

Top goal scorer - rejected our contract 

Number 1 Goalkeeper - rejected our contract 

Best midfielder - yet to sign 

ZERO new players from last season in the building. No matter how you look at it, it isn’t pretty and not what anyone of us expected as we head into pre-season. 
    1 thing we have got to look at though,

Chuks - big player for us but only when he could manage minutes. Maybe we offered a deal that was reflective of his inability to stay fit/ready for games. Also he's been offered championship football. If he had signed for a rival league 1 club then it would be something to panic about. 

Amos - good keeper on his day but not the best. We could do better. Wigan have some heavy investment this year but doesn't mean we have been beaten on wages, we don't know the details. He's a Manchester lad so makes sense if he has a offer up that way. 

JFC - injured and can't play. He will either sign for us and still be inured or sign elsewhere and be inured. Again we will only offer a contract based on his ability to play and fitness. 

If we don't make more than 8 signings of decent quality then I will panic. But a long way to go yet. Were going after good targets which is what we've been crying out for. Or we could just panic sign players like bogle, smyth, Watson, other Smith etc... would that make people happier?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!