Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• se9addick said:
    If Wigan are “paying serous £££” for Amos then they are mental and have learned nothing from recent financial meltdowns.

He’s a decent keeper at this level, I’m not going to re-write history and say he’s rubbish, but I reckon he if we roll the dice on him we can come up with better. 
    Cmon mate be honest you just want the Scottish squad keeper from Pompey 😉
  • Disappointing to lose both, can't see how anybody says they are no major loss when both had good seasons in their own way. It's an extra two players we have to sign but I have confidence signing the keeper will be relatively straightforward, replacing Chuks is going to be incredibly difficult. 
  • Chucks is a decent player but his lack of appearances was so typical of last season.
    Way too fragmented and stop start as a whole. 
    Good luck to Chucks. 
    Hopefully we buy a fit, goal scoring striker to replace him. 
  • RedChaser said:
    se9addick said:
    If Wigan are “paying serous £££” for Amos then they are mental and have learned nothing from recent financial meltdowns.

He’s a decent keeper at this level, I’m not going to re-write history and say he’s rubbish, but I reckon he if we roll the dice on him we can come up with better. 
    Cmon mate be honest you just want the Scottish squad keeper from Pompey 😉
    Had enough of Scottish goalkeepers to last a lifetime after that bloody Czech Republic  goal!
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    I really can’t get too wound up about Amos and Chucks leaving. They saw out there contracts, gave of their best fitness permitting and have decided to move on. It’s a short career, they need to make as much money as they can to set themselves up for the rest of their lives. Good luck to them and thanks for the memories. 
    Or they could get a job.
    I know that was tongue in cheek, of course they could but why would you if you could amass sufficient funds  to provide an income eg investing into a property portfolio 🤔.
    Lazy good for nothing fuckers  :D
  • Laddick01 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    People trying to justify it. Ultimately two key players we’ve offered contracts too have rejected. Let’s not make excuses. We’ve also signed zero new players for the team that finished last season. 
    Equally, I think people are forgetting

He isn’t our player! 

He stopped being out player at the end of last season. Same with Amos. 

It feels like some are reacting as if we are selling contracted players on the cheap. 
    Sorry but that’s wrong. They were both our players for the past 8 weeks and they haven’t signed the contracts given to them. 

That’s our first choice goalkeeper and top goal scorer. 
    Yes, but they effectively were no more a Charlton player than a player of any other club.
    Their contracts expired.
    Amos allegedly wanted to move near "home".
    Aneke wanted to play in a higher division.
    What would you have done to make them sign against their wishes?
    Let’s just look at facts. 

Top goal scorer - rejected our contract 

Number 1 Goalkeeper - rejected our contract 

Best midfielder - yet to sign 

ZERO new players from last season in the building. No matter how you look at it, it isn’t pretty and not what anyone of us expected as we head into pre-season. 
    On the other hand 

Top Goalscorer - Had quality but couldn’t play 90 minutes. Barely 45 at times.

Best Midfielder - Had little competition and is now out for the season

No1 Goalkeeper - Entirely replaceable. Decent but nothing special 

That makes it look alright.

Does it though? Because in physical terms of having an actual squad, that's actually put us from having players who maybe weren't all that to not having anyone at all. Get the replacements in and everything will look different, hopefully better. But as a numbers game it's alarming with the balance of players out vs in at the moment as it increases the work needed just to get back to last season's level let alone surpass it.
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    People trying to justify it. Ultimately two key players we’ve offered contracts too have rejected. Let’s not make excuses. We’ve also signed zero new players for the team that finished last season. 

He isn’t our player! 

It feels like some are reacting as if we are selling contracted players on the cheap. 
    Sorry but that’s wrong. They were both our players for the past 8 weeks and they haven’t signed the contracts given to them. 

Yes, but they effectively were no more a Charlton player than a player of any other club.
    Their contracts expired.

ZERO new players from last season in the building. No matter how you look at it, it isn’t pretty and not what anyone of us expected as we head into pre-season. 
    So what would you have done to make them sign against their wishes, for the reasons given ie moving home and moving to a higher league?
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:

He isn’t our player! 

Their contracts expired.

So what would you have done to make them sign against their wishes, for the reasons given ie moving home and moving to a higher league?
    Weird that JFC hasn’t signed though, isn’t it?
  • shine166 said:
    Time for Ronnie to step up and take his chances during pre season now. 
    Would rather get rid of him tbh, looks to me a Danish Ajose

• Some thoughts about keepers.

Our new GK coach has Millwall links.Ex Lions Jordan Archer and Tom King are both available as free agents.

I was put off Jamal Blackman after @Sage's previous comments but as expected Chelsea have released him 

Palace have let Wayne Hennessey and Stephen Henderson go but signing either of them wouldn't reduce the age of the squad. 
  • Richard J said:

Some thoughts about keepers.

Our new GK coach has Millwall links.Ex Lions Jordan Archer and Tom King are both available as free agents.

I was put off Jamal Blackman after @Sage's previous comments but as expected Chelsea have released him 

Palace have let Wayne Hennessey and Stephen Henderson go but signing either of them wouldn't reduce the age of the squad. 
    I think the Pompey keeper will sign personally, we're certainly interested and he's still available. 
  • Clearly neither were converted to Nigel`s happy club.

If we had anyone at all lined up announcements of departures would have been delayed.  

The bed is wet. 
  • Has anyone told Gallen we have money now? Chuks going leaves a big hole. Not impressed with what we are doing right now. 
  • At least now these players have made their minds up it frees up wages that had been set aside in case they re signed.
  • shine166 said:
    I think judge him on after he has had a full pre-season, his family over here and with crowds in the ground (I honestly think that with the fans behind him he will get a bit of confidence up).  
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:
    I think judge him on after he has had a full pre-season, his family over here and with crowds in the ground (I honestly think that with the fans behind him he will get a bit of confidence up).  
    Playing alongside Stockley and getting some decent service would help his cause no end.
  • ct_addick said:
    Has anyone told Gallen we have money now? Chuks going leaves a big hole. Not impressed with what we are doing right now. 
    Have we got money now? 

We haven’t seen any hard fast evidence yet that this is indeed the case.

I always said with any new owner the proof will be in the pudding. After the false dawns we have had it’s gonna take more than a few pics with a guitar to convince me.

Im staying neutral. See where we stand in August before declaring us well off, TS a brilliant owner etc.
  • edited June 2021
    se9addick said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:

He isn’t our player! 

Their contracts expired.

Weird that JFC hasn’t signed though, isn’t it?
    Presumably, we've offered a sensible deal based on the fact that he'll miss at least half of the season.
    Maybe he's hoping someone else will come in with a higher offer.
    He's still getting paid until the end of July, so he has until then to decide, assuming Charlton don't withdraw the offer.
  • ct_addick said:
    Has anyone told Gallen we have money now? Chuks going leaves a big hole. Not impressed with what we are doing right now. 
    Have we got money now? 

I always said with any new owner the proof will be in the pudding. After the false dawns we have had it’s gonna take more than a few pics with a guitar to convince me.

Im staying neutral. See where we stand in August before declaring us well off, TS a brilliant owner etc.

• Rothko said:
    ct_addick said:
    Have we got money now? 

You think Preston gave us Stockley for free? 
    Consistent money that funds the type of rebuild Charlton fans want to see. One player does not a squad make.

Even Roland funded a few random big ticket purchases at this level and that didn’t change the fact he was such a problem .

As I say - let’s see if we have built a squad a la Powell’s title winning side. Then can look back and evaluate 
  • The bed wetters are now in overdrive! 

Just relax and wait until the window shuts. I don’t understand why everyone keeps going on about our title winning season, it was years ago and times have changed.

relax and watch the Euros! 
    Made this point earlier, word for word almost! Spot on! 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!