Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Mildly concerned at both departures but they are replaceable. Whether we will adequately replace them is, of course, the big question but I’m prepared to trust for the moment.
  • Oh for a few rumours on signings not departures.
  • Question is do I now mark @Cafc43v3r as correct on Aneke?
  • League 1 season starts on August 7th so I hope most of our signing will be done over the Next 28 days. 
    But the window don’t shut till start of September don’t expect any prem teams to release their players for loan till week before 
  • J BLOCK said:
    People trying to justify it. Ultimately two key players we’ve offered contracts too have rejected. Let’s not make excuses. We’ve also signed zero new players for the team that finished last season. 
    Amos to Wigan maybe, but Aneke has had the opportunity to go to a league higher

Cant blame him regardless what we offered
    We signed Stockley which is still the best deal in league one so far … it’s got nothing to do with Wigan they are the only club that offered him a chance to return home to be with his family .. could have been anyone up that way he just wanted to return home 
  • edited June 2021

He’s a good player and if he can stay fit, he’ll be an asset for them.

In a way I’m kind of glad we don’t have the crutch of a half fit striker in the squad being our best weapon. 

There are plenty of gettable goalscorers at this level who can play 90 minutes week in week out and we no longer have to strategise our game plan around how many minutes can Chuks play this week?
    No way we'll be spending the kind of money required to get a player with the same goals/games ratio as Chuks. Never mind the fact that he was best in the league.

The only way we'll get a player like it is if we happen upon a more unproven player and it clicks for them here. It's a big ask.

We know by now we're not going to be "blowing the league away" financially and in a way I'm glad we're not, I'd much rather have a sustainable club that'll still be here in a few years time.
    Without TS we possibly may not even have a club to support & we will always be grateful for that.
    However this nonsense about blowing the league away just makes us look silly. I'd have liked to have blown League 1 away & then be happy for a sustainable Championship club but we've got to get there first. All this we're aiming at quality players but they're going to Championship clubs has all the sound of we just couldn't get them over the line (thank you Pinocchio). Players reported back today & we have signed a decent target man who wanted to come to the club & we almost fucked that up & two old players who apparently aren't going to be first choice. Wigan look like they're giving it a go, we look like we're sitting on our hands.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Question is do I now mark @Cafc43v3r as correct on Aneke?
    Well one of them is ha ha

I'll be honest I was told that he wouldn't sign the contract when it was offed as there was interest from Blackburn and he wanted to explore what else was out there. 

I was lead to believe that Blackburn didn't follow through with firm offer and he was offered some low ball deals by a couple of championship clubs and as of early this week he was going to resign for us later this week.

I honestly think the club thought he was going to as of Wednesday night.  I have no idea when Birmingham made a firm offer but I suspect it was this week. 
  • Sponsored links:

• League 1 season starts on August 7th so I hope most of our signing will be done over the Next 28 days. 
    We'll also no doubt make a couple of loan signings near the end of the window, as some clubs will be taking a look at players in pre-season training and friendlies before deciding whether to keep them or loan them.
    But the window don’t shut till start of September don’t expect any prem teams to release their players for loan till week before 
    31st August I thought?

• Incoming

Huddersfield signed a premiership player on a season long loan today :smile:
  • He’s a good player and if he can stay fit, he’ll be an asset for them.

In a way I’m kind of glad we don’t have the crutch of a half fit striker in the squad being our best weapon. 

There are plenty of gettable goalscorers at this level who can play 90 minutes week in week out and we no longer have to strategise our game plan around how many minutes can Chuks play this week?
    No way we'll be spending the kind of money required to get a player with the same goals/games ratio as Chuks. Never mind the fact that he was best in the league.

The only way we'll get a player like it is if we happen upon a more unproven player and it clicks for them here. It's a big ask.

We know by now we're not going to be "blowing the league away" financially and in a way I'm glad we're not, I'd much rather have a sustainable club that'll still be here in a few years time.
    Without TS we possibly may not even have a club to support & we will always be grateful for that.
    However this nonsense about blowing the league away just makes us look silly. I'd have liked to have blown League 1 away & then be happy for a sustainable Championship club but we've got to get there first. All this we're aiming at quality players but they're going to Championship clubs has all the sound of we just couldn't get them over the line (thank you Pinocchio). Players reported back today & we have signed a decent target man who wanted to come to the club & we almost fucked that up & two old players who apparently aren't going to be first choice. Wigan look like they're giving it a go, we look like we're sitting on our hands.
    Did we?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Incoming

Looking great so far ain't it
  • Thought Pearce had signed?
  • edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If anyone thinks we will sign another striker that can, and will, score 15 odd goals from the bench they need to give thier head a wobble.

Last season the problem wasn't "Chuks can't play 90 minutes" the problem was, for large parts, we didn't have a striker that could.  Let alone 2.
    Here's the problem with Chuks.

Scoring goals is good. Scoring 15 goals off the bench is a great luxury for a team in League One. The kind of player that wouldn't be coming off the bench at all if he wasn't riddled with fitness issues.

If consistently fit, he could start and bag you 25-30 a season. But he's never going to be that player. So you have to carry him as a part of a larger squad where the starters are better than the subs. And that's not feasible for any League One team.

You can't build a squad around a player with his injury record. It's either come off the bench for a team in League One or do the same job for a team in the Championship. He's chosen the latter, no surprise.

We couldn't swing a big payday to keep him because who knows how many minutes he'll see next season.
    Yeah hadn't updated Pearce 
  • Sponsored links:

• This will all be forgotten when we announce a double swoop for Joel Randall and Carlos Mendes Gomes early next week.
  • As I said last season, I don’t feel any emotional connection to any of these players and they failed to make the playoffs. Not bothered if any leave and we got a totally new squad.
    Exactly my thoughts. Not bothered who goes (with the exception of Inniss)
    You might be soon when we cant get anyone in & we are relying on loans again. 

I'm sure even the most optimistic, rise tinted glass wearer would have thought we would be in a better position than this entering July.

And just imagine if we had got into the play offs....seeing as what supposedly holding us up was not knowing what division we would be in. The season only ended 8 weeks ago !!
    Does anyone think that we're not bringing in five loanees regardless of the perm signings we make?
    The important word was RELYING on loans.  Its ok to make up the squad with the odd player here & there in late August, but last season we heavily relied on Famewo, Millar & Maatsen. The season before our midfield collapsed when Gallagher abruptly left. Then, because of relying on loanees every season it means rebuilding every season as in many cases they dont return. It's an ever decreasing circle......
  • Dazzler21 said:

Incoming

Give it time. We aren’t being run or managed by clowns anymore. 
    I Agree Ricky, but time hasn't stopped in the world of Gallen & Co I hope, because it looks all one way at the moment, I can only hope that they are planning a big multi signing announcement for maximum impact sometime soon.
    He has.
  • Sam Vokes would be an interesting signing. Maybe Stoke would loan.
  • We won’t be losing Amos to Wigan because of wages. It’s purely about location.
    & surely we must of been aware of his intentions, it's not happened overnight.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Incoming

Might be relying on the yoof....which is ironic because last season we could have blooded them in & see if they were good enough. But no, it was felt better to play a right back and a defensive midfielder in the centre of defence instead. 
  • edited June 2021
    I make it 11 players down on our squad from last season.....and they weren't good enough to get into the top 6. And 2 of the players out of the 12 left are only supposed to be here as back up (Watson & Pearce).
    So, its not only replacing them but replacing them with better players.

I think TS might have bitten off more than he can chew.
  • Joel Randall gomes goal keeper from Scotland Mc cannot think of his name tucker from Gillingham and there was another I was told but I cannot remember his name I thought far-fetched  at time so not given it much credence
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    If anyone thinks we will sign another striker that can, and will, score 15 odd goals from the bench they need to give thier head a wobble.

Last season the problem wasn't "Chuks can't play 90 minutes" the problem was, for large parts, we didn't have a striker that could.  Let alone 2.
    Here's the problem with Chuks.

Scoring goals is good. Scoring 15 goals off the bench is a great luxury for a team in League One. The kind of player that wouldn't be coming off the bench at all if he wasn't riddled with fitness issues.

If consistently fit, he could start and bag you 25-30 a season. But he's never going to be that player. So you have to carry him as a part of a larger squad where the starters are better than the subs. And that's not feasible for any League One team.

You can't build a squad around a player with his injury record. It's either come off the bench for a team in League One or do the same job for a team in the Championship. He's chosen the latter, no surprise.

We couldn't swing a big payday to keep him because who knows how many minutes he'll see next season.
    Do you have a striker on the bench ever game?  Chuks got paid less for us than Igor or Ajose.  You don't have to throw a "big pay day". 

Chuks, Stockley, Washington and A. N. Other would comfortably score 50 goals in a season.

Chuks, Washington, Smyth and Bogle wouldn't.

Stockley (a good target man anyway) was the missing link, as I said in December, before we even signed him.

Why we didn't get JFC, Aneke and Amos's contracts signed months ago is my issue. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!