Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• I make it 11 players down on our squad from last season.....and they weren't good enough to get into the top 6. And 2 of the players out of the 12 left are only supposed to be here as back up (Watson & Pearce).
    So, its not only replacing them but replacing them with better players.

I think TS might have bitten off more than he can chew.
     I think he is realising just how expensive owning a football club is to be honest.  We could be heading for the same situation we had with RD if this window is toilet.  You don't  make up 11 bodies in 5 or 6 weeks and the season starts then not at the end of August. 
    I think TS has more intelligence and integrity than RD. He may well find it more difficult than he thought and certainly more expensive but I’m sure he at least he measures success the same way we do, which is a big difference. He may get it wrong but he’ll likely learn from his mistakes, which RD never did.
     I am not doubting Thomas's integrity.  However Thomas lodged a sum of money to run us for 2 years . This year will be more expensive than last and we are not attracting any players , let alone better ones. 
    What RD learned was he didn't  like the cost and I can see that possibly  being the case with TS.
    Playing devils advocate, do we know that we’re not attracting players yet?, are we playing hardball?the waiting game? I’m keeping my fingers crossed that things will come together. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    If anyone thinks we will sign another striker that can, and will, score 15 odd goals from the bench they need to give thier head a wobble.

Last season the problem wasn't "Chuks can't play 90 minutes" the problem was, for large parts, we didn't have a striker that could.  Let alone 2.
    Here's the problem with Chuks.

Scoring goals is good. Scoring 15 goals off the bench is a great luxury for a team in League One. The kind of player that wouldn't be coming off the bench at all if he wasn't riddled with fitness issues.

If consistently fit, he could start and bag you 25-30 a season. But he's never going to be that player. So you have to carry him as a part of a larger squad where the starters are better than the subs. And that's not feasible for any League One team.

You can't build a squad around a player with his injury record. It's either come off the bench for a team in League One or do the same job for a team in the Championship. He's chosen the latter, no surprise.

We couldn't swing a big payday to keep him because who knows how many minutes he'll see next season.
    And no guarantee he would have repeated his achievements of last season in 21-22, while its almost certain his fitness wouldn't improve.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    I make it 11 players down on our squad from last season.....and they weren't good enough to get into the top 6. And 2 of the players out of the 12 left are only supposed to be here as back up (Watson & Pearce).

I think he is realising just how expensive owning a football club is to be honest.  We could be heading for the same situation we had with RD if this window is toilet.  You don't  make up 11 bodies in 5 or 6 weeks and the season starts then not at the end of August. 
    I think TS has more intelligence and integrity than RD. He may well find it more difficult than he thought and certainly more expensive but I’m sure he at least he measures success the same way we do, which is a big difference. He may get it wrong but he’ll likely learn from his mistakes, which RD never did.
    I’m guessing things are that bit more difficult at the moment, there’s probably more brinkmanship at play than normal due to every club trying to get more money for there contracted players, which is possibly why things are slow on incomings. I’d imagine TS is playing the game. 
    Too early to panic about the squad, I agree, but equally daft for people to argue that losing a 16-goal striker isn’t a serious blow. 
    I’m not going to lie, I’ve never particularly enjoyed watching Aneke play, just not my type of player. Obviously he had my support when he played in the Charlton shirt, but I’m edging my bets in the hope we can replace the 16 goals, with someone I enjoy watching more. Just a personnel opinion I’m not insisting on everyone agreeing with. I’ve loved strikers who have scored a lot less regularly over the years!!🤣
    It’s a shame he played to an empty stadium last season because I think his arrival would have lifted the crowd and consequently achieved even more. 

Clearly he has issues, but teams in L1 couldn’t cope with him and realistically we are not going to replace those goals or that impact easily or cheaply. 

I really like Stockley, too, mind. 
    I have no doubt the lack of fans really did work against us last season, in both ways as far as performance levels, we had some really terrible performances that we as fans would have let the players know we’re not acceptable, Also giving them the support needed when things were going tits up!!.I do think league 1 is his level though, and I’m not saying that because he’s going, I’ve been consistent with my opinion of him.I hope stockley gets some help next season with someone up top with him, I think we may see an even better, less one dimensional player and I don’t mean that as a criticism. We were playing to a bit of a needs must way when he came in.
  • I make it 11 players down on our squad from last season.....and they weren't good enough to get into the top 6. And 2 of the players out of the 12 left are only supposed to be here as back up (Watson & Pearce).

I am not doubting Thomas's integrity.  However Thomas lodged a sum of money to run us for 2 years . This year will be more expensive than last and we are not attracting any players , let alone better ones. 
    What RD learned was he didn't  like the cost and I can see that possibly  being the case with TS.
    You’ve posted 4 times on this page alone likening Sandgaard to Duchatelet. Maybe take a breather. 
    He was a great fan of Duchatelet, although under a previous "moniker".
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    I make it 11 players down on our squad from last season.....and they weren't good enough to get into the top 6. And 2 of the players out of the 12 left are only supposed to be here as back up (Watson & Pearce).

I’m guessing things are that bit more difficult at the moment, there’s probably more brinkmanship at play than normal due to every club trying to get more money for there contracted players, which is possibly why things are slow on incomings. I’d imagine TS is playing the game. 
    Too early to panic about the squad, I agree, but equally daft for people to argue that losing a 16-goal striker isn’t a serious blow. 
    I’m not going to lie, I’ve never particularly enjoyed watching Aneke play, just not my type of player. Obviously he had my support when he played in the Charlton shirt, but I’m edging my bets in the hope we can replace the 16 goals, with someone I enjoy watching more. Just a personnel opinion I’m not insisting on everyone agreeing with. I’ve loved strikers who have scored a lot less regularly over the years!!🤣
    It’s a shame he played to an empty stadium last season because I think his arrival would have lifted the crowd and consequently achieved even more. 

Clearly he has issues, but teams in L1 couldn’t cope with him and realistically we are not going to replace those goals or that impact easily or cheaply. 

I really like Stockley, too, mind. If we’d had him earlier along with Washington - instead of the hopeless Bogle - we’d have gone up.
    I think the players knocked off on Lee for a bit for whatever reason, added to the loss of the cbs, and more than a few iffy decisions from Bowyer did for us really. All ifs and buts as they say. I do expect more next season though.🤞

You’ve posted 4 times on this page alone likening Sandgaard to Duchatelet. Maybe take a breather. 
    I was  conversing with Airman. However I wasn't  likening them but the situation owners realise once they settle in . That it is more expensive than one realises. Nothing more.
    I suspect  we won't  be in the top budget group in this division. 
    Depends how big you make the group.Top third I guess we will. Most of the rest are also rans.
  • Good to see Airman back with considered opinions let’s not panic have faith in the leadership and let’s all get behind them and the team who I am sure will be a strong one this season personally can’t wait to get back to the Valley again and support the team don’t regret buying a season ticket again for the first time since RD terrible tenure just gutted that the first game clashes with my daughter’s wedding 
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:
    Time for Ronnie to step up and take his chances during pre season now. 
    Would rather get rid of him tbh, looks to me a Danish Ajose
    I think judge him on after he has had a full pre-season, his family over here and with crowds in the ground (I honestly think that with the fans behind him he will get a bit of confidence up).  
    Judging from comments on here I don't think too many will be getting anywhere but on his back. personally (& I'm only going on you tube clips) it seems like give him a chance & he'll stick it away.
  • edited June 2021
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

I really like Stockley, too, mind. If we’d had him earlier along with Washington - instead of the hopeless Bogle - we’d have gone up.
    Yes to all of this. We’ll regret losing Chucks. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

Incoming

Johl Powell missing off this list 
  • Johl Powell missing off this list 
  • Sponsored links:

• Clearly neither were converted to Nigel`s happy club.

If we had anyone at all lined up announcements of departures would have been delayed.  

The bed is wet. 

So Amos going to desert his family for another two years WHY …. He wants to return up north no matter what NA says or money offered will change his mind …. This is not a football decsion    
  • Not checked this out …. But are we the only club that have actually paid money for a player so far in league one ….. ???

• For those moaning, i'd assume we have been talking to keepers and strikers just in case Amos and Aneke didn't sign. We obviously wouldn't sign them before now in case they both decided to stay. So people should stop panicking and see what Adkins and Gallen do.

Yes losing Aneke is a blow, but i'm sure the management will have been aware there was a good chance he would leave and will have prepared accordingly.
  • Clearly neither were converted to Nigel`s happy club.

If we had anyone at all lined up announcements of departures would have been delayed.  

The bed is wet. 

So Amos going to desert his family for another two years WHY …. He wants to return up north no matter what NA says or money offered will change his mind …. This is not a football decsion    
    Amos deserted his family?
  • Aneke is a big loss - I hope we have a decent replacement in mind. 
  • I thought Adkins said Chuks and Amos wanted to stay? Are we saying that’s not true!?!?!? Flippin heck. This summer feels like it’s going to be a damp squib, I hope I’m wrong! 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!