Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Addicks59 said:
    All this having a go at the owner is out of order in my opinion he has invested considerable amount of money in our club and has created a reasonable transfer budget who else has paid 450.000 for a player in div1.On top of that no ceo you say the man appointed to run the club ged roddy is one of the most experienced  in the whole of football.Also in an interview on charlton TV it was clearly stated that a new sponsor investor was going to invest many millions in the club.How do you know that has not happened the club are keeping there cards close to there chest that is good practise and makes good business sense we start shouting that we are rich every player agent and club in the country will put there prices up.CUT our owner some slack I know that the club are looking at some very good players one of them if it comes off will shock us all I have named a few who I hope will be signed I know we are working very hard to make it happen so PATIENCE. 
    Why did this new sponsor that was gonna put in millions get mentioned when we don’t want the world to know we are flush if we are …
    rumour (100th hand ) has it this so called mystery sponsor is no longer in the game , i wonder if swisdoms mob are back in the running to sponsor the shirt again 
  • Airman brown I am dyslexic so I struggle yes sometimes I struggle and with the help of prescriptive text the end result is not what I intended I have no score to settle with you or anybody else your comments on my post where not welcome.
  • Looks like currently our squad is worse than it was last season. 

We don't even have the excuse of starting after everyone else like last year.

Other teams making good signings and we're still sitting around sorting out contracts for 30+ year olds. 
    I expect that 90% of football clubs squad's are worse on the 25th June, than they were last season.
    I'll judge the squad in 9/10 weeks time, when the window closes.
    This.

• Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Now we have lots of work to do, we were hoping to keep them but you now have to add a keeper and a striker on the list of what is required.

I am calm, but I do think it’s going to be a harder season than many would’ve anticipated going into this summer and this is not a reaction from the news today.

Sandgaard would do well to appoint a CEO who runs things on the ground whilst he’s in the US. I get it’s his way and all those reasons, but we need that figurehead in the UK. 
    Interesting. I've seen a lot of people express surprise that he's doing it his own way but this is the first time I've seen someone say we'd be better off with a CEO in the UK.

Would be interested in understanding how it might change things
    In a transfer market with constant moving parts, where those moving parts are of a higher calibre of player and could fall in to place at any moment, we can’t really afford to wait on the approval of Sandgaard who is currently 7 hours behind in terms of time difference.

I’ve spoken to a few people and it’s a general view that we might be better off right now having someone in that role.

It’s not often club’s are run without a CEO, especially one where we haven’t really had one since Meire left, and even then wasn’t really a very good one at all. 
    I don’t know anyone with experience of the club who thinks it’s sensible to run without a chief executive on the ground.
    As the sole owner TS is our SEO. He may not be in the same Country but he clearly undertaking exactly the role one would expect of a CEO, and many companies with a single owner run this way. The only real difference is they have no one to report to.
    Not being ‘on the ground’ can be more challenging, but it can and does work IF individuals are empowered to make decisions. That responsibility will only be devolved if the individual is considered to be able to make sound decisions and it can be argued that this means quicker and better decisions being made by those with intimate knowledge of what is required.
    Pleading to have a decision maker on the ground would suggest to me that the trust is not there yet, or that individuals haven’t quite grasped that they can make those decisions, or feel uncomfortable making them. This maybe understandable given the money you are committing the owner to paying, but it is the pay grade!
    At the moment we have SG, Roddy and Adkins responsible for player recruitment. If they can’t get it right I don’t see adding a fourth adds value or speeds things up. What do you see a CEO adding to the process that the others lack?
    I really don’t see the 7hr time difference being an issue. A high calibre player that we are after will have been discussed. There is a budget. He has a phone. He would be happy to take that call. 

TS has delegated the running of his company in the USA to trusted managers, but does keep an active interest in what is going on and sets the strategic direction. I would suggest that this is what he wants to replicate.

Who is pleading? As it happens the chief executive at Charlton has rarely been the person doing the transfer deals. However, the club is understaffed and has people in key positions - Keohane, for example - who need removing, in my opinion. Nobody says you can’t have a different one or that TS can’t or that he won’t succeed over time. He doesn’t have to be a “perfect genuis” because he’s the current owner to be a good thing.

You did post as a result of the comments on transfer so I assumed that you were supporting that view. No problem.

I fully accept that there are staffing issues with both numbers, and in the case of Keohane, ability and behaviour. 
    A good general manager, preferably with a degree in Football Management, could be what is required. A CEO would be overkill IMO.
  • Sage said:
    When did this “invest many millions” ever get said? I think people have heard what Mumford said and twisted it and ran with it.

A ground-breaking deal for the club between 3-5 years is what I believe was mentioned. Doesn’t say millions are going to be pumped in. I think you have to think outside the box. What are these sponsors going to get involved in? I have no idea, and it’s the club’s prerogative to announce it in due time, but I personally think we are leading ourselves up the garden path of disappointment if we start thinking millions and millions are going to be pumped in to the club.
    This. The reality is that Charlton isn’t a very good business (as opposed to club). It can make a profit in the PL but so can others. It needs a benefactor as well as a focused approach to maximising its opportunities off the pitch as well as on it. TS is a fine benefactor, for which we are grateful, and we’ll see over time If he can run a football business as well as he evidently thinks. There is, currently, very little evidence to judge. No fan wants him to fail.

Airman ,if we ever reached the premier League again how bigger of a stadium needed?.
  • Sage said:
    When did this “invest many millions” ever get said? I think people have heard what Mumford said and twisted it and ran with it.

A ground-breaking deal for the club between 3-5 years is what I believe was mentioned. Doesn’t say millions are going to be pumped in. I think you have to think outside the box. What are these sponsors going to get involved in? I have no idea, and it’s the club’s prerogative to announce it in due time, but I personally think we are leading ourselves up the garden path of disappointment if we start thinking millions and millions are going to be pumped in to the club.
    This. The reality is that Charlton isn’t a very good business (as opposed to club). It can make a profit in the PL but so can others. It needs a benefactor as well as a focused approach to maximising its opportunities off the pitch as well as on it. TS is a fine benefactor, for which we are grateful, and we’ll see over time If he can run a football business as well as he evidently thinks. There is, currently, very little evidence to judge. No fan wants him to fail.

Airman ,if we ever reached the premier League again how bigger of a stadium needed?.
    Too many variables to give a sensible answer but you wouldn’t necessarily need a bigger stadium to make a profit.
  • Addicks59 said:
    All this having a go at the owner is out of order in my opinion he has invested considerable amount of money in our club and has created a reasonable transfer budget who else has paid 450.000 for a player in div1.On top of that no ceo you say the man appointed to run the club ged roddy is one of the most experienced  in the whole of football.Also in an interview on charlton TV it was clearly stated that a new sponsor investor was going to invest many millions in the club.How do you know that has not happened the club are keeping there cards close to there chest that is good practise and makes good business sense we start shouting that we are rich every player agent and club in the country will put there prices up.CUT our owner some slack I know that the club are looking at some very good players one of them if it comes off will shock us all I have named a few who I hope will be signed I know we are working very hard to make it happen so PATIENCE. 
    Don't tell people to have patience...you'll be wasting your time on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wait, people get paid for their opinions on Charlton Life? How much are mines worth? 
  • se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    I thought Adkins said Chuks and Amos wanted to stay? Are we saying that’s not true!?!?!? Flippin heck. This summer feels like it’s going to be a damp squib, I hope I’m wrong! 
    If you’re referring to the interview of the other day he said he wanted them to stay. That being said I’m sure most players say they want to stay, until they get a better offer.

(Adkins interview here: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-nigel-adkins-has-fresh-contact-with-out-of-contract-duo/)

No it’s not that interview it was this one where NA says THEY want to stay: 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-nigel-adkins-all-our-out-of-contract-players-want-to-stay/
    Ah right, that was a couple of weeks ago before the bright lights of Birmingham & Wigan turned their heads!
    Probably no brainers for both players. Aneke gets to play 20 mins each week in the championship as opposed to league 1 and Amos gets to live closer to home.  We will only really know at the end of the window if we are losing out or gaining better replacements. Adkins record on the transfer market is generally very good. 
  • Sage said:

Too many variables to give a sensible answer but you wouldn’t necessarily need a bigger stadium to make a profit.
    Ok.
  • You have got to laugh being a fan of this club. Yesterday people starting to have meltdowns because a player who can only manage 30 minutes has left and the keeper who alot of people were giving stick last season decided to move closer to home. The dahgers were getting primed to have a go at the owner. This mornings meltdown is following a companies house registration and people think maybe the owner is bailing lol.
    People need to take a chill pill and wait and see what evolves over the coming weeks 
  • Sage said:

At the moment all I see TS doing, and rightly so, is trying to stabilise the club as a whole after the absolute shit show it has been over recent years. For us fans we require it to be done yesterday and are impatient. I think Thomas has his plan and patience is a big part of it. We’ve all been scarred and are a bit cautious in our trust of new owners but I do believe our new man has,our ( aswell as his own interests at heart). I would love for him to buy us a new promotion winnng team immediately no matter the cost but that’s not reality.my mantra at the moment is, let’s wait and see where we are come the Sheffield Wednesday game.
  • Bit shocked at the panic and doom on here because a 2 players have chosen not to sign a contract to play in the league above and be nearer home. 

It’s not July yet we are obviously working on deals in the background and will have a squad in place. 

Thomas has already shown he will invest and nothing so far points to that not being the case. 

Players come. And players go. 
    It's always been that way in football. 

Like you, I'm not sure why some people expect it to be any different.
    All the clubs are trying to do business right now, including Charlton.

Nice if we could complete all our business early ...... but in reality things don't tend to work out that way.
    I've no doubt we'll have a competitive team in place by the start of the season - and further strengthened by some quality loans before the window shuts.

• Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Will be interesting to see what we do striker wise , Stockley has obviously come in to start and hasn't come cheap for this level. Wonder if we go and find him a strike partner or if the fourth striker will be a younger player on loan? 
    I think Adkins will mainly stick to using a lone striker - that’s 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 for the optimists or 4-5-1 for the pessimists.

Either way we need about 10 signings across the team, including wingers and strikers.
    I certainly hope we don't have Stockley up front on his own. He was completely isolated in his early games, winning plenty of headers with no Charlton player to feed off if him.

We didn't look like we had an effective attacking force until he got the appropriate support.

If we revert to Stockley alone then we are done for. 

Adkins has always favoured a lone striker like Hayes or Lambert... so you might want to prepare yourself mentally for 'one up top'

The key is the get the right type of players to get closer to him and around him to pick up or work off the flicks and layoffs. Inside forwards and a number 10 or advanced midfielder

That was the problem last year, we often we too direct too early or he was isolated.
  • edited June 2021
    paulfox said:
    Sage said:

At the moment all I see TS doing, and rightly so, is trying to stabilise the club as a whole after the absolute shit show it has been over recent years. For us fans we require it to be done yesterday and are impatient. I think Thomas has his plan and patience is a big part of it. We’ve all been scarred and are a bit cautious in our trust of new owners but I do believe our new man has,our ( aswell as his own interests at heart). I would love for him to buy us a new promotion winnng team immediately no matter the cost but that’s not reality.my mantra at the moment is, let’s wait and see where we are come the Sheffield Wednesday game.
    All of which may be true - I’m certainly not impatient about the squad in June - but in that case the rhetoric about tearing up the division or suchlike is unwise? I understand some people need to believe that what we have now is the best of all possible worlds, but it’s unreasonable to demand everyone else holds the same view. It’s just another version of posing for selfies with Southall. Naive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Will be interesting to see what we do striker wise , Stockley has obviously come in to start and hasn't come cheap for this level. Wonder if we go and find him a strike partner or if the fourth striker will be a younger player on loan? 
    I think Adkins will mainly stick to using a lone striker - that’s 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 for the optimists or 4-5-1 for the pessimists.

Either way we need about 10 signings across the team, including wingers and strikers.
    I hope you are wrong. I hate that formation, (in England, below FAPL  level, anyway). The problem is that it is still in the British football DNA to lump it up to the big man, especially when things are not going well. One of Bowyer’s plus points was that he seemed to agree. When Taylor and Grant started tearing strips off Sunderland from the get-go up there in 2019, it felt to me like liberation. You really need the right players around the front man, and with at least the same quality. The Czech national team has the same problem. It is often said that Schick has frequently looked isolated. That’s partly a comment on the attacking choice behind him. Czechs dont lump it, either. There is currently no one remotely matching him for overall quality. And a national team can only play the hand it has been dealt. 

I suppose it might sometimes work if Washington has a flexible forward role behind Stockley, but at the very least you need an alternative if that doesnt work. 
  • Maccn05 said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:

I certainly hope we don't have Stockley up front on his own. He was completely isolated in his early games, winning plenty of headers with no Charlton player to feed off if him.

We didn't look like we had an effective attacking force until he got the appropriate support.

If we revert to Stockley alone then we are done for. 

Adkins has always favoured a lone striker like Hayes or Lambert... so you might want to prepare yourself mentally for 'one up top'

The key is the get the right type of players to get closer to him and around him to pick up or work off the flicks and layoffs. Inside forwards and a number 10 or advanced midfielder

That was the problem last year, we often we too direct too early or he was isolated.
    Exactly, if we're going to go with Stockley in the main we need the bodies around him. Be interesting to see how the midfield sets up , whether we see Gilbey in that advanced role or a new signing. 
  • paulfox said:
    Sage said:

All of which may be true - I’m certainly not impatient about the squad in June - but in that case the rhetoric about tearing up the division or suchlike is unwise? I understand some people need to believe that what we have now is the best of all possible worlds, but it’s unreasonable to demand everyone else holds the same view. It’s just another version of posing for selfies with Southall. Naive.
    Yes agreed, those type of comments raise our expectation aswell, a bit of over excitement I think!!. Do you have doubts about Thomas Airman?ifso why? Or are you just being cautious?. As to me things are on the up in comparison to recent events, but I’m just a plain ole supporter with no inside info whatsoever.I’m not having a dig, just interested to know. I certainly don’t believe we should all have to agree on things which is why I enjoy this forum and appreciate people’s opinions, until it gets catty🙄. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    lol the Sangaard buzz didn’t last long did it.
    Maybe not for some people, but it’s still here with me.

Rome wasn’t built in a day and we’ve not got owners who have billions just to mess around with. 

Everything at our club is starting to be run exactly the right way. 

- We are paying sensible prices for good players who want to be here.

- we’re not over extending ourselves meaning we can build a sustainable club that isn’t in fear of disappearing anymore.

- When someone goes, their position is filled straightaway. 

- We are getting good people into the club

- We have brought all strands of Charlton under one umbrella and have a really exciting women’s team turning pro.

We would all have liked a few more bodies through the door (I’m certain that’s true for club management too) but people in the know are saying we’re after the right people so that’s good enough for me for now. 👍
    This is my thinking as a non in the know fan. 
  • se9addick said:
    Wait, people get paid for their opinions on Charlton Life? How much are mines worth? 
    You owe lookout £12k

🤔
    So,.. that's how you get a promote is it B)
  • Oggy Red said:
    Bit shocked at the panic and doom on here because a 2 players have chosen not to sign a contract to play in the league above and be nearer home. 

It’s not July yet we are obviously working on deals in the background and will have a squad in place. 

Thomas has already shown he will invest and nothing so far points to that not being the case. 

Players come. And players go. 
    It's always been that way in football. 

I think issue is, for some, that we've seen some go and not so many come.

Yet.

Now is not the time to make a final judgement but with training starting next week it's been a slow start. I can see why people are frustrated even if I'm not 

Yet.

But things can change quickly on the squad and hopefully for the better.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to criticise Sandgaard's words and actions. He's not God, he will make mistakes or do things others think are wrong.

I didn't like his "blow the league away comment as I prefer under promise and over deliver but for some that would be attacked as showing lack of ambition.

But I did like his buying the club, getting rid of the chancers and investing some money stuff a lot.

I like that he's appointed experienced professionals although I agree there should be an on the ground CEO, I like that he's bought the women's team and I think Adkins was a shrewd appointment. Not sure how Roddy fits in with Gallen there too but that's my ignorance, not an accusation.  It's a largely new recruitment team and maybe they are still going through those forming and storming stages before hitting norming and performing. But I don't think they are sitting around lazily waiting for the phone to ring either.

I'm not happy TS didn't buy the Valley and Sparrows Lane but that was and is made almost impossible at a sensible price by Southall and Duchatelet.

Overall, I think TS is massively in credit but now he faces the new challenge of a summer transfer window and with at least two other clubs in this division spending big by league one standards.

The short term panic over the companies House changes show that as a fan base we still have trust issues with owners but hardly surprising given our recent and not so recent past.

So we shall just have to see how TS and his team do over the summer and how that translates into league points.

LLLBH
    That sums it up nicely I’d say Henry. We all want the same thing in the end.👍
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!