Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• If Amos goes do we have a GK for Pre season?
    Harness I imagine... I guess Maynard-Brewer MIGHT be around for the first few friendlies before heading to the Olympics

Harness is out of contract. We have made an offer but I have seen nothing to say he has signed, just like Claydon whom was mentioned on here as now stepping up to the first team squad.  For all we know both could be heading elsewhere.
  • Luton fans seem convinced it’s them re: CMG.
     Must have a really poor idea of a nice town then . Morecambe is dull and remote and Luton is , well , dreadful but has an airport to escape via. 
    Also Morecambe is on the Flyde coast & so great views & walks. Luton not so much
    ..😁
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    I thought Adkins said Chuks and Amos wanted to stay? Are we saying that’s not true!?!?!? Flippin heck. This summer feels like it’s going to be a damp squib, I hope I’m wrong! 
    If you’re referring to the interview of the other day he said he wanted them to stay. That being said I’m sure most players say they want to stay, until they get a better offer.

(Adkins interview here: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-nigel-adkins-has-fresh-contact-with-out-of-contract-duo/)

No it’s not that interview it was this one where NA says THEY want to stay: 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-nigel-adkins-all-our-out-of-contract-players-want-to-stay/
    Ah right, that was a couple of weeks ago before the bright lights of Birmingham & Wigan turned their heads!
    Probably no brainers for both players. Aneke gets to play 20 mins each week in the championship as opposed to league 1 and Amos gets to live closer to home.  We will only really know at the end of the window if we are losing out or gaining better replacements. Adkins record on the transfer market is generally very good. 
    His backing at Southampton was much better though .
    Time will tell if that the case. There is nothing to suggest that his backing at Charlton won’t be on a par or even better with what he had at Southampton. 

I keep reading “we missed out on Gomes” “we missed out on Long” “another player we missed out on” nobody actually knows if these are players Adkins was even interested in. He wanted Stockley and he got him.  If a realistic target is there to be had, I have no doubt TS will back Adkins to the hilt to get him. We are in the last week of June…..it we get to the last week of July and haven’t signed anybody then it’s worrying. But I see no cause for concern at the moment. 
    I think that’s mostly true with the exception that it’s generally far better to get business done early to take advantage of a good pre season. Not getting your squad in place until late on is without question a worse scenario. Is it concerning ? I actually think up to a point it is. 
    I think preason is both really important and a bit of a red herring.  I feel the most important thing is most, if not all, of your players have a preseason, somewhere. 

If you look at the 5 we signed last summer, who hadn't, none of them were great, for multiple reasons.  Yet they all got hammered for it, yet Ronnie gets a pass, from some, because of it?

If you look at the players we signed that had had a preseason, especially the center backs, they came in a hit the ground running.  Stockley and Millar did in January as well. 

I wouldn't want to sign more than 1 or 2 out of contract players after, say the middle of July, for that reason.  You can always accommodate a couple, see Kermorgant, Y.

With fees and loans, unless you try and reinvent a player, they can slot in much later. 
    Getting promoted is going to be tough regardless. Having players together as a group getting familiarised with each other and what’s required in terms of tactics is really quite essential. Pre season isn’t just about getting fit although I agree that’s at least as important. Every point will matter and as we know to our recent cost even every goal. Every edge you can get is important. It is what it is but getting players in early is far and away a big plus.
    This. It's in almost all the football autobiographies I've read - players saying about all the new faces in the dressing room when they report back for preseason & the bonding starts at training camps etc.

I understand all the optimists on here trying to keep us all chirpy with the "theres still a month to go before the season starts" and " the transfer window doesn't close for another 2 months" and the other perennial " no one else is signing players at the moment". 

BUT

We had a major rebuild this summer. No idea about any other clubs (and dont really care tbh) but I'm sure not many of our rivals are starting pre-season with just 12 first team players- one of which I've just learnt is off to the Olympics next month - and currently he's our only goal keeper !!  We are starting behind most of the other teams & we need to play catch up....QUICK. August 1st will be too late.

• se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    I thought Adkins said Chuks and Amos wanted to stay? Are we saying that’s not true!?!?!? Flippin heck. This summer feels like it’s going to be a damp squib, I hope I’m wrong! 
    If you’re referring to the interview of the other day he said he wanted them to stay. That being said I’m sure most players say they want to stay, until they get a better offer.

(Adkins interview here: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-nigel-adkins-has-fresh-contact-with-out-of-contract-duo/)

No it’s not that interview it was this one where NA says THEY want to stay: 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-nigel-adkins-all-our-out-of-contract-players-want-to-stay/
    Ah right, that was a couple of weeks ago before the bright lights of Birmingham & Wigan turned their heads!
    Probably no brainers for both players. Aneke gets to play 20 mins each week in the championship as opposed to league 1 and Amos gets to live closer to home.  We will only really know at the end of the window if we are losing out or gaining better replacements. Adkins record on the transfer market is generally very good. 
    His backing at Southampton was much better though .
    Time will tell if that the case. There is nothing to suggest that his backing at Charlton won’t be on a par or even better with what he had at Southampton. 

I keep reading “we missed out on Gomes” “we missed out on Long” “another player we missed out on” nobody actually knows if these are players Adkins was even interested in. He wanted Stockley and he got him.  If a realistic target is there to be had, I have no doubt TS will back Adkins to the hilt to get him. We are in the last week of June…..it we get to the last week of July and haven’t signed anybody then it’s worrying. But I see no cause for concern at the moment. 
    I think that’s mostly true with the exception that it’s generally far better to get business done early to take advantage of a good pre season. Not getting your squad in place until late on is without question a worse scenario. Is it concerning ? I actually think up to a point it is. 
    Oh yeah, definitely better to get your business done early. Think it takes a couple of transfers to trigger other moves though. It’s clearer now that we know we need to replace Amos and Aneke on top of what we needed anyway. 
  • If Amos goes do we have a GK for Pre season?
    Get your gloves on Nige!
     Must have a really poor idea of a nice town then . Morecambe is dull and remote and Luton is , well , dreadful but has an airport to escape via. 
    Also Morecambe is on the Flyde coast & so great views & walks. Luton not so much
    ..😁
    I think a 22 year old footballer judges towns by the number of bars and quality of woman rather than great views and walks
    ..😁
    I think a 22 year old footballer judges towns by the number of bars and quality of woman rather than great views and walks
    ....and chose Luton ? 
  • thenewbie said:
    It will be good to see bodies through the door even if just to settle a few nerves.
    Agree. But nerves with 2 months of the window remaining?

It's hardly squeaky bum time. :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    I see Carlos Mendes Gomes has confirmed he's leaving Morecambe. Be interesting to see where he ends up, obviously someone that's been mentioned a lot on this thread

Yeah I saw that it’s a shame, we just can’t compete with championship wages or offer championship football at the moment.

• On a serious nte will most likely be the keepers from Pompey, think it was Callum?!? who posted the end of season starts comparison, should be a like for like replacement so decent sign-in, keep a fit settled defensive in front and shouldn't notice Amos going (assume he is iff) 

• J BLOCK said:
    One incoming close 
    We'll still be underwhelmed.

• Just change of names 

Nothing to worry about from my perspective. I suspect correcting a mistake in the filings from the time of the takeover - TS isn’t the owner of CAFC, Clear Ocean Capital is. COC should appear on the register for CAFC, and then TS will appear on the COC register. Hope that helps!
    Clear Oceans Capital eh, bit of an unfortunate choice of names.

Bit like Trotters Independent Traders, we are now owned by COC!!
  • Just change of names 

Nothing to worry about from my perspective. I suspect correcting a mistake in the filings from the time of the takeover - TS isn’t the owner of CAFC, Clear Ocean Capital is. COC should appear on the register for CAFC, and then TS will appear on the COC register. Hope that helps!
    Clear Oceans Capital eh, bit of an unfortunate choice of names.

Bit like Trotters Independent Traders, we are now owned by COC!!
    We're used to being owned by cocks so shouldn't bother us
  • edited June 2021
    Sage said:
    When did this “invest many millions” ever get said? I think people have heard what Mumford said and twisted it and ran with it.

A ground-breaking deal for the club between 3-5 years is what I believe was mentioned. Doesn’t say millions are going to be pumped in. I think you have to think outside the box. What are these sponsors going to get involved in? I have no idea, and it’s the club’s prerogative to announce it in due time, but I personally think we are leading ourselves up the garden path of disappointment if we start thinking millions and millions are going to be pumped in to the club.
    This. The reality is that Charlton isn’t a very good business (as opposed to club). It can make a profit in the PL but so can others. It needs a benefactor as well as a focused approach to maximising its opportunities off the pitch as well as on it. TS is a fine benefactor, for which we are grateful, and we’ll see over time If he can run a football business as well as he evidently thinks. There is, currently, very little evidence to judge. No fan wants him to fail.

Good post Airman.
    I am going to state the obvious here but the main reason many of us Addicks are so anxious about the lack of activity re incoming new signings is the amount of ‘kickings’ we have taken over the last 5 years or so.....we have a very obvious streak of apprehension and cynicism running through our fan base, it’s palatable and totally understandable.
    Years of what’s going on off the pitch being more important and discussed than the football on the pitch......its been very very challenging.
    Is there a set of fans anywhere in the country that has been more provoked and mentally screwed up over such a long period of time than the Addicks.....if so, I would be more than a little surprised.
  • I'm waiting for the evidence to buy a season ticket as I am fed up of the mediocrity and false promises we always get. I am still expecting positive action so not in panic mode but Chuks was a big marker for me and it is an understatement I am disappointed he is leaving. Cue people being ok about it because of his lack of minutes last season. To be honest, I have no interest in these views as I believe they lack football knowledge. We have to be better than last season and it isn't easy to replace what Chuks gives us, but we shall see. I will worry after the Euros if there is something to worry about!   
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    I'm waiting for the evidence to buy a season ticket as I am fed up of the mediocrity and false promises we always get. I am still expecting positive action so not in panic mode but Chuks was a big marker for me and it is an understatement I am disappointed he is leaving. Cue people being ok about it because of his lack of minutes last season. To be honest, I have no interest in these views as I believe they lack football knowledge. We have to be better than last season and it isn't easy to replace what Chuks gives us, but we shall see. I will worry after the Euros if there is something to worry about!   
    I mentioned further up that I’m disappointed we couldn’t retain Aneke, 15 goals will be very difficult to replace. But being of the opinion that him leaving isn’t a big deal doesn’t mean that person “lacks football knowledge” (whatever that’s supposed to mean). There is a legitimate argument that retaining Aneke actually costs you two salaries from the budget - one for Chuks and one for the guy that needs to play the 75% of minutes that he can’t. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    One incoming close 
    Any whispers on who it might be?
  • se9addick said:
    I'm waiting for the evidence to buy a season ticket as I am fed up of the mediocrity and false promises we always get. I am still expecting positive action so not in panic mode but Chuks was a big marker for me and it is an understatement I am disappointed he is leaving. Cue people being ok about it because of his lack of minutes last season. To be honest, I have no interest in these views as I believe they lack football knowledge. We have to be better than last season and it isn't easy to replace what Chuks gives us, but we shall see. I will worry after the Euros if there is something to worry about!   
    I mentioned further up that I’m disappointed we couldn’t retain Aneke, 15 goals will be very difficult to replace. But being of the opinion that him leaving isn’t a big deal doesn’t mean that person “lacks football knowledge” (whatever that’s supposed to mean). There is a legitimate argument that retaining Aneke actually costs you two salaries from the budget - one for Chuks and one for the guy that needs to play the 75% of minutes that he can’t. 
    That's a false argument though.  If you have 4 strikers in the squad you are very rarely going to start more than 2 of them.  Unless one doubles up as a winger or something else.  You are always, where possible, going to have a striker on the bench. 

With out looking up the stats I would guess out of the 46 league games, lets call 50 including senior cups, that 100 starts if you play 2 up front.  We won't play 2 in every game so let's say it's 80 starts.  In a normal season, baring a serious injury, you expect someone like Stockley to be able to start 40 games out of the 50.  Someone like Washington would probably be able to play all the games you want 2 up front.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to have another striker, that doesn't have to be top notch, just do a job for about 10 games and a few off the bench, like Parker did.  Unfortunately Schwartz and Smyth weren't deemed capable of doing that.

Last season Chuks ability, or lack of, to play 90 minutes wasn't the problem.  The fact at times, he was by far, our best striker was. 
  • So, to summarise, Aneke has gone.  So it's no longer a fecking rumour. 

Some people are upset he has gone; some aren't worried because he spent less time on the pitch than Ajdarevic; and some people don't care either way. Whatever, can we erase him from this thread now? If people want to express their personal views on these issues, how about starting a vote?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    That's a false argument though.  If you have 4 strikers in the squad you are very rarely going to start more than 2 of them.  Unless one doubles up as a winger or something else.  You are always, where possible, going to have a striker on the bench. 

With out looking up the stats I would guess out of the 46 league games, lets call 50 including senior cups, that 100 starts if you play 2 up front.  We won't play 2 in every game so let's say it's 80 starts.  In a normal season, baring a serious injury, you expect someone like Stockley to be able to start 40 games out of the 50.  Someone like Washington would probably be able to play all the games you want 2 up front.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to have another striker, that doesn't have to be top notch, just do a job for about 10 games and a few off the bench, like Parker did.  Unfortunately Schwartz and Smyth weren't deemed capable of doing that.

Last season Chuks ability, or lack of, to play 90 minutes wasn't the problem.  The fact at times, he was by far, our best striker was. 
    Stockley is suspended. Washington is injured and you have a senior player who you can’t start and know finish the game because he’s only useful off the bench due to whatever reason. I agree with se9 on this one.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:

Stockley is suspended. Washington is injured and you have a senior player who you can’t start and know finish the game because he’s only useful off the bench due to whatever reason. I agree with se9 on this one.
    But I specifically said you have a 4th striker for exactly that reason.  Else Stockley is suspended and Washington is injured and your starting with Schwartz up front on his own and no sub on the bench if you only have 3, who ever they are.

We won't have 3 strikers that play more minutes next season than Chuks did last season. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:

But I specifically said you have a 4th striker for exactly that reason.  Else Stockley is suspended and Washington is injured and your starting with Schwartz up front on his own and no sub on the bench if you only have 3, who ever they are.

We won't have 3 strikers that play more minutes next season than Chuks did last season. 
    Having a fourth striker of any quality is quite a rarity in league one clubs. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:

Having a fourth striker of any quality is quite a rarity in league one clubs. 
    The problem being we don't have a fourth striker AT ALL presently. Stockley and Washington are proven at this level, Schwartz not so much. Beyond that it's hoping a youth product really steps up.

Again I'm sure that business IS being done but we can't judge how well that signing replaces Aneke until it gets made.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!