Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited June 2021
    Sadly I think some will try to see the bright side whatever. I am waiting for the bright side to come as I believe we were promised it. I accept it can come and am waiting for that, but we haven't had anything to cheer about so far.

We have lost a player that makes a difference at this level so if we have a bit of good replacing to do just to be where we were last season! 
    Yep, I decided two seasons ago to have rose tinted contact lenses surgically fitted over my eyes and to have an implant that plays ‘here comes the sun’ and ‘mr bright side’ relentlessly in full stereo 24/7. Never looked back.

I W now adapted the contacts and sound so they show repeats of NA’s morning walks as well. Never been better.
  • Do they do it on the NHS?
  • I can’t see Eisa coming in he can’t play on his own on up top and NA generally plays that way.

People on here keep talking about a front two when history shows he rarely does so I’m not sure why that’s even a discussion.
  • thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    I'm waiting for the evidence to buy a season ticket as I am fed up of the mediocrity and false promises we always get. I am still expecting positive action so not in panic mode but Chuks was a big marker for me and it is an understatement I am disappointed he is leaving. Cue people being ok about it because of his lack of minutes last season. To be honest, I have no interest in these views as I believe they lack football knowledge. We have to be better than last season and it isn't easy to replace what Chuks gives us, but we shall see. I will worry after the Euros if there is something to worry about!   
    I mentioned further up that I’m disappointed we couldn’t retain Aneke, 15 goals will be very difficult to replace. But being of the opinion that him leaving isn’t a big deal doesn’t mean that person “lacks football knowledge” (whatever that’s supposed to mean). There is a legitimate argument that retaining Aneke actually costs you two salaries from the budget - one for Chuks and one for the guy that needs to play the 75% of minutes that he can’t. 
    That's a false argument though.  If you have 4 strikers in the squad you are very rarely going to start more than 2 of them.  Unless one doubles up as a winger or something else.  You are always, where possible, going to have a striker on the bench. 

With out looking up the stats I would guess out of the 46 league games, lets call 50 including senior cups, that 100 starts if you play 2 up front.  We won't play 2 in every game so let's say it's 80 starts.  In a normal season, baring a serious injury, you expect someone like Stockley to be able to start 40 games out of the 50.  Someone like Washington would probably be able to play all the games you want 2 up front.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to have another striker, that doesn't have to be top notch, just do a job for about 10 games and a few off the bench, like Parker did.  Unfortunately Schwartz and Smyth weren't deemed capable of doing that.

Last season Chuks ability, or lack of, to play 90 minutes wasn't the problem.  The fact at times, he was by far, our best striker was. 
    Stockley is suspended. Washington is injured and you have a senior player who you can’t start and know finish the game because he’s only useful off the bench due to whatever reason. I agree with se9 on this one.
    But I specifically said you have a 4th striker for exactly that reason.  Else Stockley is suspended and Washington is injured and your starting with Schwartz up front on his own and no sub on the bench if you only have 3, who ever they are.

We won't have 3 strikers that play more minutes next season than Chuks did last season. 
    Having a fourth striker of any quality is quite a rarity in league one clubs. 
    The problem being we don't have a fourth striker AT ALL presently. Stockley and Washington are proven at this level, Schwartz not so much. Beyond that it's hoping a youth product really steps up.

Again I'm sure that business IS being done but we can't judge how well that signing replaces Aneke until it gets made.
    Josh Davison?
    Davison looked slow, over weight and poor for FGR, so I don't fancy his chances at Charlton.
    Thats why you send youngsters out on loan. Karlan Grant went to Crawley & scored 9 in 15, came back & looked sharper and a different player.

Davison on the other hand scored 3 in 20 for FGR and what I saw in their play off games didnt look up to it.
  • It’s also been suggested to me that Jonnie Williams is an option to come back…. And if that’s our level of ambition then I’d say we’re going nowhere this season.

An injury prone, high earning player who doesn’t have a natural position, doesn’t contribute goals or assists and couldn’t get a game for us or Cardiff 👍🏼
  • What I don't get is Amos to Wigan. We know we were trying to sign him, so how can Wigan with all their troubles beat us to that signature. I suppose if I had a pair of rose tinted specs I would speculate that we have changed our mind or have somebody better lined up. Waiting to hear who it is.
  • Maccn05 said:
    I can’t see Eisa coming in he can’t play on his own on up top and NA generally plays that way.

People on here keep talking about a front two when history shows he rarely does so I’m not sure why that’s even a discussion.
    He is going to play 3 up front so we smash it.
  • edited June 2021
    What I don't get is Amos to Wigan. We know we were trying to sign him, so how can Wigan with all their troubles beat us to that signature. I suppose if I had a pair of rose tinted specs I would speculate that we have changed our mind or have somebody better lined up. Waiting to hear who it is.
    He was brought up in Macclesfield and it has been said that he has built a house in the Manchester area and wants to return "home".
    I'm not clear if he's also been living apart from his family since he's been down south, but it is possibly more of a personal circumstances, rather than football decision.
  • What I don't get is Amos to Wigan. We know we were trying to sign him, so how can Wigan with all their troubles beat us to that signature. I suppose if I had a pair of rose tinted specs I would speculate that we have changed our mind or have somebody better lined up. Waiting to hear who it is.
    Because they now have Middle Eastern money and ambition. Plus he’s rumoured to want to move home.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    What I don't get is Amos to Wigan. We know we were trying to sign him, so how can Wigan with all their troubles beat us to that signature. I suppose if I had a pair of rose tinted specs I would speculate that we have changed our mind or have somebody better lined up. Waiting to hear who it is.
    He is local to Wigan & wanted to return "home". Cant fault him for that.

Wigan have been very active in the transfer market. No idea if it's a false dawn or whether their new owners have the dosh to follow it through. Time will tell I suppose. Feels like another Southampton to me where they got relegated & went into Administration then a year later were spending big on players & went from League 1 to The Premiership like a dose of salts.
    Apparently he has built a new house up near there and wants to move back to the Manchester area where he comes from. Wigan may have offered the same or even slightly less than us on weekly wages, but the urge to go back home to family is very strong.
    Wigan were taken over and seem to have a high end budget. I think their troubles are behind them right now, though they don't have many first team players contracted, very much like ourselves, Portsmouth, Ipswich,  Sunderland and Weds. Lots of rebuilds just beginning.
  • What I don't get is Amos to Wigan. We know we were trying to sign him, so how can Wigan with all their troubles beat us to that signature. I suppose if I had a pair of rose tinted specs I would speculate that we have changed our mind or have somebody better lined up. Waiting to hear who it is
    HE WANTED TO MOVE UP NORTH.
  • edited June 2021
    Ok, let's sit back and enjoy our rebuild then. Like I have said, I won't panic until after the Euros. 
  • Hopefully explains why he left, and yes, lets hope we enjoy our rebuild(-:

It's either going to be personal terms to get back to family, or we (hopefully) decided to dip our toes in the market for a keeper who doesn't routinely get beat from 20+ yards? MacGillivray for example...
  • Vfrf said:

It's either going to be personal terms to get back to family, or we (hopefully) decided to dip our toes in the market for a keeper who doesn't routinely get beat from 20+ yards? MacGillivray for example...
    Yes, let's hope so.
  • Davison and Aoucheria may well be good prospects but the will not get us promotion this season. 
    Definitely need better. 
    Yeah i wasn't saying they'd get us promotion, the question was who do we currently have as a fourth choice striker.
  • Maccn05 said:
    It’s also been suggested to me that Jonnie Williams is an option to come back…. And if that’s our level of ambition then I’d say we’re going nowhere this season.

An injury prone, high earning player who doesn’t have a natural position, doesn’t contribute goals or assists and couldn’t get a game for us or Cardiff 👍🏼
    He won’t be high earning after the last two years.
  • Sponsored links:

Just to repeat … it’s not because it’s Wigan it’s that’s the only team in greater Manchester that offers him a chance to move back to the area to be with his family and move into and new house he had built …. So whoever offered him that chance he would have gone to … it’s not to do with money we offered very good two year deal and promise of the number one spot but sometimes it’s not about money in this case Ben just wants to go home 
  • If this transfer window were unfolding as is now under RD, everyone would be freaking out. The sole reason so many are staying hopeful is their personal liking of TS and that is all. But if you just analyze the hard facts of where we are with neither hope nor disdain, it’s not a pretty picture thus far. There is still time to fix but it’s not a good look.
    If we were freaking out under RD it would be based on previous windows. I don’t get “not a pretty picture at all. I have every confidence we’ll get the players we need. Would have been good to get them early but not doing so is not a problem of Sandgaards doing. 

Well, I hear ya, but when I look at this graphic I do not consider it a "pretty picture." At least "now" which was my point. I am not commenting on "confidence" in getting across the line, as that is just hoping. Yes, it could change and hopefully will, but when I look at where we are right now, it's hard to look at this graphic NOW and see it as anything other than decidedly "not pretty." If others think otherwise, good for them. But I do not.Fortunately the season does not start next week. :#

For me, the best player on that list is the one we've secured. The other one I'd very much like to have is Famewo, who hasn't yet been ruled out. If all of our other signings aren't on that list I'd consider that probably a plus. So I'd say it's quite a pretty picture. 
  • Can't believe Amos would choose Wigan over us 
  • Maccn05 said:
    It’s also been suggested to me that Jonnie Williams is an option to come back…. And if that’s our level of ambition then I’d say we’re going nowhere this season.

I have heard that J Williams maybe changing his name to A Trialist after a two week break.  I didn't want to mention it because I thought it was cause a melt down, with people saying exactly what you just have. 

But hay ho. 
  • Anyone know where Amos was born or if he's ever had a house built near there?
    I know this. I know this…….Plymouth?
  • Has Amos ever moved for a fee?
  • Can't believe Amos would choose Wigan over us 
    Really ? Just really ?
  • Anyone know where Amos was born or if he's ever had a house built near there?
    I think we need a house buying (building?) analogy to help us understand what’s going on here.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!