Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    I thought Adkins said Chuks and Amos wanted to stay? Are we saying that’s not true!?!?!? Flippin heck. This summer feels like it’s going to be a damp squib, I hope I’m wrong! 
    If you’re referring to the interview of the other day he said he wanted them to stay. That being said I’m sure most players say they want to stay, until they get a better offer.

(Adkins interview here: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-nigel-adkins-has-fresh-contact-with-out-of-contract-duo/)

No it’s not that interview it was this one where NA says THEY want to stay: 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-nigel-adkins-all-our-out-of-contract-players-want-to-stay/
    Ah right, that was a couple of weeks ago before the bright lights of Birmingham & Wigan turned their heads!
    Probably no brainers for both players. Aneke gets to play 20 mins each week in the championship as opposed to league 1 and Amos gets to live closer to home.  We will only really know at the end of the window if we are losing out or gaining better replacements. Adkins record on the transfer market is generally very good. 
    His backing at Southampton was much better though .
    Not really in League One as he didnt join until after the Summer Transfer Window closed

So any future windows where he got backed would have been in the Championship and higher
  • Luton fans seem convinced it’s them re: CMG.
     Must have a really poor idea of a nice town then . Morecambe is dull and remote and Luton is , well , dreadful but has an airport to escape via. 
    Of course they also shared Eric Morecambe who has a statue by the seaside and was the Hatters most famous fan .
  • se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    I thought Adkins said Chuks and Amos wanted to stay? Are we saying that’s not true!?!?!? Flippin heck. This summer feels like it’s going to be a damp squib, I hope I’m wrong! 
    If you’re referring to the interview of the other day he said he wanted them to stay. That being said I’m sure most players say they want to stay, until they get a better offer.

(Adkins interview here: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-nigel-adkins-has-fresh-contact-with-out-of-contract-duo/)

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-nigel-adkins-all-our-out-of-contract-players-want-to-stay/
    Ah right, that was a couple of weeks ago before the bright lights of Birmingham & Wigan turned their heads!
    Probably no brainers for both players. Aneke gets to play 20 mins each week in the championship as opposed to league 1 and Amos gets to live closer to home.  We will only really know at the end of the window if we are losing out or gaining better replacements. Adkins record on the transfer market is generally very good. 
    Time will tell if that the case. There is nothing to suggest that his backing at Charlton won’t be on a par or even better with what he had at Southampton. 

I keep reading “we missed out on Gomes” “we missed out on Long” “another player we missed out on” nobody actually knows if these are players Adkins was even interested in. He wanted Stockley and he got him.  If a realistic target is there to be had, I have no doubt TS will back Adkins to the hilt to get him. We are in the last week of June…..it we get to the last week of July and haven’t signed anybody then it’s worrying. But I see no cause for concern at the moment. 
  • se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:

Not really in League One as he didnt join until after the Summer Transfer Window closed

So any future windows where he got backed would have been in the Championship and higher

January window doesn't count then ?
    Brought in a couple of players yeah, but nothing special
  • Just change of names 

Nothing to worry about from my perspective. I suspect correcting a mistake in the filings from the time of the takeover - TS isn’t the owner of CAFC, Clear Ocean Capital is. COC should appear on the register for CAFC, and then TS will appear on the COC register. Hope that helps!
  • Whatever the disappointment or angst of some to this point ultimately our season, and indeed the skills, strategy, and performance of the recruitment team, will be defined by the players we do sign - not by the players we do not. 

There is the time to get things done,

We, at this point, can but trust the club structure to meet operational and market demands is in place and functioning with the clear strategies, priorities and funding to deliver a successful outcome.

If it/ they is/ are not then there will be a whole season in which to hold a post-mortem.

For Messrs Sandgaard, Roddy and Gallen, right now, there should be but one business requirement - to empower Mr Adkins and his clubhouse to deliver to us all.

If it is not then there is an entirely different conversation to be had.

Are you feeling ok? I got myself 3 beers and settled down to spend 30 mins reading…. I barely took 2 sips of my first beer and it was all over….you’ve changed….
  • Sponsored links:

• This for me is the problem of being a 3rd division club. 

No real rumours from credible sources because we aren’t newsworthy nationally anymore and our local journalist can only go public when things are, by and large, a done deal and the club in the process of confirming it anyway. 

In the meantime we feed off very minor scraps.  

• se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:

Time will tell if that the case. There is nothing to suggest that his backing at Charlton won’t be on a par or even better with what he had at Southampton. 

I keep reading “we missed out on Gomes” “we missed out on Long” “another player we missed out on” nobody actually knows if these are players Adkins was even interested in. He wanted Stockley and he got him.  If a realistic target is there to be had, I have no doubt TS will back Adkins to the hilt to get him. We are in the last week of June…..it we get to the last week of July and haven’t signed anybody then it’s worrying. But I see no cause for concern at the moment. 
    I think that’s mostly true with the exception that it’s generally far better to get business done early to take advantage of a good pre season. Not getting your squad in place until late on is without question a worse scenario. Is it concerning ? I actually think up to a point it is. 
  • It will be good to see bodies through the door even if just to settle a few nerves.
  • Matthew Lund or a player from Gillingham 
  • Matthew Lund or a player from Gillingham 
    Id be reasonably happy with Lund coming in
  • Be a shame if Amos leaves simply as the spine of the team could have been Amos-Innis.

But if he goes, I look forward to seeing us bring somebody in who might save the odd penalty over the season and is harder to beat from outside the box. 
  • Sponsored links:

• And after the euros and copy america are over we’ll announce messi ronaldo and mbappe I think that will get us some press coverage!
  • I'd expect MacGillivray to be the player Rich is referring to if Amos to Wigan is very close . 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I'd expect MacGillivray to be the player Rich is referring to if Amos to Wigan is very close . 
    If Amos is out the door then getting a GK in is 100% priority. Pre season without your preferred choice GK is a big hindrance.
  • If Amos goes do we have a GK for Pre season?
  • se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:

I think that’s mostly true with the exception that it’s generally far better to get business done early to take advantage of a good pre season. Not getting your squad in place until late on is without question a worse scenario. Is it concerning ? I actually think up to a point it is. 
    I think preason is both really important and a bit of a red herring.  I feel the most important thing is most, if not all, of your players have a preseason, somewhere. 

If you look at the 5 we signed last summer, who hadn't, none of them were great, for multiple reasons.  Yet they all got hammered for it, yet Ronnie gets a pass, from some, because of it?

If you look at the players we signed that had had a preseason, especially the center backs, they came in a hit the ground running.  Stockley and Millar did in January as well. 

I wouldn't want to sign more than 1 or 2 out of contract players after, say the middle of July, for that reason.  You can always accommodate a couple, see Kermorgant, Y.

With fees and loans, unless you try and reinvent a player, they can slot in much later. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I'd expect MacGillivray to be the player Rich is referring to if Amos to Wigan is very close . 
    If Amos is out the door then getting a GK in is 100% priority. Pre season without your preferred choice GK is a big hindrance.
    Especially with AMB at the Olympics 
  • If Amos goes do we have a GK for Pre season?
    Harness I imagine... I guess Maynard-Brewer MIGHT be around for the first few friendlies before heading to the Olympics
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:
    se9addick said:
    RedRobin said:

I think preason is both really important and a bit of a red herring.  I feel the most important thing is most, if not all, of your players have a preseason, somewhere. 

If you look at the 5 we signed last summer, who hadn't, none of them were great, for multiple reasons.  Yet they all got hammered for it, yet Ronnie gets a pass, from some, because of it?

If you look at the players we signed that had had a preseason, especially the center backs, they came in a hit the ground running.  Stockley and Millar did in January as well. 

I wouldn't want to sign more than 1 or 2 out of contract players after, say the middle of July, for that reason.  You can always accommodate a couple, see Kermorgant, Y.

With fees and loans, unless you try and reinvent a player, they can slot in much later. 
    Getting promoted is going to be tough regardless. Having players together as a group getting familiarised with each other and what’s required in terms of tactics is really quite essential. Pre season isn’t just about getting fit although I agree that’s at least as important. Every point will matter and as we know to our recent cost even every goal. Every edge you can get is important. It is what it is but getting players in early is far and away a big plus.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!