Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Doncaster v Charlton | Good Friday | April 2nd, 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    aliwibble said:
    Adkins in the postmatch - "I thought Alex Gilbey was phenomenal". I can only assume he's identified that Gilbey is suffering from a massive loss of confidence, and is trying to talk him up as a result, because phenomenal is not the word I'd have used.
    Spot on, but he hasn’t played a lot, and as you said, is short of confidence. I thought he did improve as the game went on though, so perhaps worth sticking with?
    Inniss was brilliant. I find watching the games far less stressful with him playing. Just the sort of player who might well have made the difference in some of those Millwall matches over the last five years.
    Plenty of positives, but there were negatives too;
    As the second-half went on I didn’t like the way Doncaster were able to run unhindered towards the edge of our penalty area so often. They didn’t have the wherewithal to make something of it, but other team may well.
    I was surprised NA didn’t bring on a couple of subs earlier in the second half to freshen things up as one or two of the players looked out on their feet. Well Gilbey, and Stockley perhaps. 
    We gave the ball away far too often in the second half, which only increased the pressure. Just about all the non defensive players were at fault for that; we might have grabbed a second goal with a bit more care. 
    Still a massive three points, so pretty happy with that. 
  • Options
    Brighter and braver on the ball. It was certainly an improved performance as was the managers post match interviews.
  • Options
    We are going up, say: we are going up....

Is it too late?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Gilbey, Innis JFC all superb.
    the rest very very good 
    Atkins excellent game plan and great work sticking Little Richard up front as well.
    onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Thought we were good defensively apart from a hairy moment from Matthews..Stockley did well playing a lone role but he will need better support if that's how we are setting up although having said that I thought DJ had a very decent showing as did Maatsen in the 1st half ...Although this team lacks quality compared to the LB play off winning side I would expect Adkins to get more from them. Play offs possible,especially if we get Washington back.
  • Options
    Much better all round performance compared to some of the stuff we've seen of late, the odd very good pass and bit of movement  goingforward, still mixing it up with a lot of hoof it to Stockley but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Promising signs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    aliwibble said:
    Adkins in the postmatch - "I thought Alex Gilbey was phenomenal". I can only assume he's identified that Gilbey is suffering from a massive loss of confidence, and is trying to talk him up as a result, because phenomenal is not the word I'd have used.
    I thought he was alright... He didn't stop pressing all game. A few good moments and a few poor ones. 
    His best game for a while in that he was at least moving and trying to get involved and wasn’t virtually invisible as he has been at times. He didn’t actually do a lot though did he? There’s was one really good first time pass in the first half that set Matthews away but other than that he didn’t impact the game much. I still don’t really know what sort of player he is. Hopefully Adkins can get him firing. Would appear he likes him. 
  • Options
    Interesting comments about Millar. His poor performance may have been due to jet lag but I thought Professor Positive would have given him a boost.

Millar was excellent when he arrived but has steadily regressed every game.

Hope it can be turned around because he clearly has lots of talent.

Turned around? He got 2 assists in our last game before Doncaster and like everyone else today wasn't great but wasn't awful.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    It's handy being on Sky and seeing some stats. Interesting points today:

- We've got the best away record in the league. This could scare teams for the remainder of the season.
    - We've scored the most goals from corners (10) in the league! This is an area we should and could improve upon.

- Maatsen looked hungry first half. Both him and DJ have recently done what Millar struggles - score! His pass completion was much better further up and I'd prefer this for rest of season.
    - DJ getting into the swing of things now. We need to stop these silly fouls and offsides though.
    - There's really not much difference between Gunter and Matthews. This strange habit from Matthews of trying to clear play inwards with flicks is schoolboy for a player who has played one position all of his career.
    - Amos made a good few saves, from inside the box again. He needs to lead a bit more and it's clear that his weaknesses remain shots from outside the area and long accurate kicking.
    - Bogle played exactly how he did for us. Started off with clever control/turns, then turned into a carthorse dropping too deep and forgetting his role/ability. On this note, we also did not miss out much failing to get Bostock. JFC very similar.
    - A personal plus is that we have an articulate manager. That press conference on the CAFC Twitter site was excellent. 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Thought we were good defensively apart from a hairy moment from Matthews..Stockley did well playing a lone role but he will need better support if that's how we are setting up although having said that I thought DJ had a very decent showing as did Maatsen in the 1st half ...Although this team lacks quality compared to the LB play off winning side I would expect Adkins to get more from them. Play offs possible,especially if we get Washington back.
    It may not be right, but the commentator today suggested Washington was out for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Interesting comments about Millar. His poor performance may have been due to jet lag but I thought Professor Positive would have given him a boost.

Millar was excellent when he arrived but has steadily regressed every game.

Hope it can be turned around because he clearly has lots of talent.
    Two assists against Wimbledon, he's been a good signing.
  • Options
    A good professional performance (not sure I've thought that too much this season). Looked solid throughout and rarely looked in any danger Matthews very strange decision to do a Cruyff turn in front of our own goal aside. Innis is huge for us, I always felt he was the bigger loss than Famewo.

No one had a bad game, DJ still a bit hit or miss but I'm not too worried about him a run in the side should help him to continue to improve. Not sure I get the huge praise for Gilbey, it was one of his better games he did work hard he just seems to make a lot of mistakes. If Adkins is looking to keep it tighter then I ha e no problem in Gilbey over Shinnie though, the former is much more mobile and a better option defensively but then I'm not sure Gilbey is a better option that Morgan. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Thought we were as solid as I can remember. It wasn't exciting but we were the team in control. Our midfield was superior and we can't normally say that. Gilbey was excellent I felt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Just finished watching on a time delay (KO was 5:30 am here). I’ve got to be honest, the only real difference I saw in that performance and a good many under Bowyer in the last year was Ryan Innis. 

We generally defended well, but still with a few moments of “WTF were you thinking!” (Matthews’ back heel to no one in our own 6 yard box was a particular highlight). 

We never looked particularly troubled but without ever creating much either, which is similar to a lot of our games away from home this season. I still didn’t really see any clear patterns of play of playing style but still early days there.

A good result but we still look well short of a team good enough to win the playoffs. 

Yep, I'm with you here. Thought we did ok but didn't really create anything & it looked like the Wimbledon game in the last 15 mins. Why Aneke didnt come on after 60 mins I have no clue. 

Too early to judge Nadge & dont really think there was much different to the Bowyer era.....apart from not throwing on defender after defender in the last 10. Hoping the "resting" of Schwartz & Morgan is not a sign of things to come. 

• Options
    Thought we were as solid as I can remember. It wasn't exciting but we were the team in control. Our midfield was superior and we can't normally say that. Gilbey was excellent I felt.
    Spot on!
  • Options
    The reason Aneke didn't come on earlier was that we were one up and Stockley was playing well. It might have been tempting, but they weren't troubling us very much with the set up we had. When he started to tire, Aneke came on.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    I think there are two games going on here. The one neutrals watch where we are in control and rarely look in trouble . Then there’s the one Charlton supporters watch where despite all that, we are going to concede any minute as the game goes on. 
    Good point. I’m certainly the latter but the experience of this and pretty much every other season has coloured that in me.
  • Options
    The reason Aneke didn't come on earlier was that we were one up and Stockley was playing well. It might have been tempting, but they weren't troubling us very much with the set up we had. When he started to tire, Aneke came on.
    Stockley was tiring 10 minutes before he came off though. Nothing was sticking at all
  • Options
    I thought it was starting to be noticeable about 5 minutes before he came off, which seems normal. Before that he was not only winning ball but bringing our players into attacks.