Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Doncaster v Charlton | Good Friday | April 2nd, 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Good result. Had the ball in the net twice and looked dangerous at times. Even with the 7 mins of injury time I never felt that much like Donny would score, they were poor today. I liked our shape, we managed to set up in a way that got the best out of the wide players, Pratley and to an extent Gilbey. Maatsen had an excellent first half, though he was anonymous in the second, and it allowed us to play Purrington who is just a good, steady defender. I’m always happier having him as part of the back four. Inniss had an excellent game and you could feel how much easier it made Pearce’s life having a calm communicator with him. Gilbey had a mixed game, he showed glimpses of talent on the ball but had a really decent second half chasing things down, making challenges and showing a bit of pace. 

The only real negatives are that Millar was poor, as was JFC on the ball and we looked a bit disjointed. I like to think we’ll get used to the new way of playing and become more coherent as a side in the future. I like this set up and I hope we stick with it. 3 big points, Bogle didn’t score against us and we’ve shoved a team around us further down. Great start to the day
  • Options
    Surprised a little bit (in a good way) by how much of an impact Adkins seems to have had already. The players seem to have got a bit of belief and self confidence back, certainly some players faded as it went on but overall that has to be seen as pretty positive.

Also glad to see that Adkins has at least a pragmatic side to him. He may prefer to see attacking, passing football but he's not ideologically welded to it and results matter more than performances at this point in time.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Adkins in the postmatch - "I thought Alex Gilbey was phenomenal". I can only assume he's identified that Gilbey is suffering from a massive loss of confidence, and is trying to talk him up as a result, because phenomenal is not the word I'd have used.
    I thought he was alright... He didn't stop pressing all game. A few good moments and a few poor ones. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe he did deserve to be Man of the Match...

JFC ...... 4/10

That right, @Dazzler21

Sorry, Daz!  :smiley:

• Options
    Throw Famewo in and we will only look more solid! Pearce is not somebody we can rely on in a playoff push! 

Thought it was a very professional performance and feels better to win in that fashion! Innis and JFC were superb! 
  • Options
    Well done Nadkins praising Gilbey who I thought had a good game. 👍
    Positive, simple and clever man management. Football isn’t rocket science and you’ll probably see an even better Gilbey  next time. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Oggy Red said:

JFC ...... 4/10

That right, @Dazzler21

Up til half time he and Gilbey were having shockers. I'm not going to lie and say they weren't, second half both came out drastically improved. 

Would like to know how many crosses got to their man? how many passes were successful? 
  • Options
    Excellent result, good overall performance, 3 points away from home on Sky live, what’s not to like.

Innis a real giant for us but thought back 4 looked as solid as they have done all season.

Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    Inniss being back is like dragging in someone’s dad to help out. Monster
    For sure. Just great to have him back and in top form...he's been sorely missed, proof positive v Donny! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For anyone who missed Adkins' comments on SKY

You've got to love Nads, haven't you?

We get 3 points - and his cup runneth over.

Winning is a good feeling!

• Options
    When I saw the line-up, didn’t think we’d get much out of the game, to be honest. But hats off to the lads, they surpassed my expectations. Forster-Caskey ... outstanding and deservedly got MOTM. We had shape, the midfield protected the back four and we looked half dangerous on the break. Interestingly, Adkins thought Gilbey was outstanding. My view ... Hmmn. It’s a shame Lincoln have bottled it for Tuesday but I now fancy us to have a good end of season. Are the play-offs a possibility? Maybe but I still think we’re going to have to rely on others falling away. C’MON YOU REDS
  • Options
    Enjoyed that.  Inniss big plus (in more ways than one).  Inspired decision to play Maatsen in attack and I noticed he tracked back well too.  Still quite a few individual errors they need to cut out and a real let off from Matthew's back pass.  Good to see Purrington back in the side.  Millar always look dangerous but gets caught in the headlights too often and his decision making is questionable.  Still a clean sheet and three points away can't be bad...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:

JFC ...... 4/10

That right, @Dazzler21

Up til half time he and Gilbey were having shockers. I'm not going to lie and say they weren't, second half both came out drastically improved. 

Would like to know how many crosses got to their man? how many passes were successful? 
    I know, Daz. Just a liitle wind up. Couldn't resist, mate!  

• Options
    JFC was great, Inniss outstanding. I don't think we're going to suddenly explode into a dynamic, expansive attacking outfit, but I make the gameplan right for these next games: keep it tight, solid, get down the wings, win set pieces. I like the fact that NA obv hasn't had enough time to work on playing out from the back properly, so we didn't bother faffing around with that. Also was interesting with NA giving Gilbey a reverse Bowyering in the interview...
  • Options
    Decent performance and really happy with the win. Unfortunately I feel a bit factor was catching Donny at a good time as they are clearly on the slide.

Im not getting carried away with thinking this is our march to Wembley, the other teams around us that we will be playing are very much in form and will be a lot more threatening then Donny today. 
  • Options
    Best away record in the league. I knew it was good but not that good.

Even with our 'trusty' defence I never felt in any danger of conceding. Doncaster were poor and we looked pretty well organised. Not a great game for the neutral at all but it was a professional performance from us and another 3 points on the board. I don't care how we get them 3 points at this stage.

Well done Nige and the boys.