Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Doncaster v Charlton | Good Friday | April 2nd, 2021

Comments

• Options
    Just finished watching on a time delay (KO was 5:30 am here). I’ve got to be honest, the only real difference I saw in that performance and a good many under Bowyer in the last year was Ryan Innis. 

We generally defended well, but still with a few moments of “WTF were you thinking!” (Matthews’ back heel to no one in our own 6 yard box was a particular highlight). 

We never looked particularly troubled but without ever creating much either, which is similar to a lot of our games away from home this season. I still didn’t really see any clear patterns of play of playing style but still early days there.

A good result but we still look well short of a team good enough to win the playoffs. 

Yep, I'm with you here. Thought we did ok but didn't really create anything & it looked like the Wimbledon game in the last 15 mins. Why Aneke didnt come on after 60 mins I have no clue. 

Too early to judge Nadge & dont really think there was much different to the Bowyer era.....apart from not throwing on defender after defender in the last 10. Hoping the "resting" of Schwartz & Morgan is not a sign of things to come. 

Can't agree with you Golfie, for once. The defense was far more robust, excepting a couple of errors and I got the sense of a team playing as a team.  They looked as if they were enjoying it and Pearce's urging on upfield was something I haven't seen before.
    Also Adkins was a much more animated presence on the touch line than LB ever was.
  • Options
    1Hull393373
    2Peterborough382972
    3Sunderland373070
    4Lincoln City371562
    5Portsmouth371561
    6Blackpool361460
    7Charlton38559
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Big away win today. Over the moon to be back with the lads. Looking forward to the run in
    and by adkins words it sounds like you will get it. lord help us. 
  • Options
    The main difference to me was the spine of the team looked really solid, Pearce and Inniss at the back, Pratley and JFC in the middle and Stockley up front, altogether a very tough spine and it worked very well today.
    We need 5 more wins and I am more confident now, especially as we have got 15 points from the last 7 games and we need 15 from the next 8.
  • Options
    Maatsen's goal was a very Mo Salah run, brushing off the defender and finish!
  • Options
    Inniss looked very solid including one great run forward and JFC was the standout. We looked more organised but need to improve.
  • Options
    The Bandwagon is up and rolling, Now has running boards and a painted lady sitting at the front. Sunderland in the playoffs any body? Good performance, bitty in places. Well taken goal. Lets move on!
  • Options
    haven't read every comment but what the hell has happened to Millar. He was shocking today and hasn't been very good for several games now. can any one give a reason as to why? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    haven't read every comment but what the hell has happened to Millar. He was shocking today and hasn't been very good for several games now. can any one give a reason as to why? 
    He’s a human being? 
  • Options
    He did get 2 assists against Wimbledon to be fair 
  • Options
    Jet lagged 
  • Options
    Thought gilbey I thought Gilbey had a decent game, he got stuck in showed a few nice touches and looked sharper than previously. It is clear he had some complications with his Achilles which probably affected his confidence too, Adkins bigged him up after the game to give him a boost and help him improve further. A far cry from Bowyer’s post match tactics.

• Options
    Millar did setup both goals before being moved out of position 2 games ago. Let's just get some perspective. He's not dominated games but not gone completely missing either. Agree, he's a frustrating player.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    PWR

Is Adkins the Leuth of Gilbey now? 
    if you mean somebody that even though the person knows is pretty shite yet still defends him and exaggerates his few contributions to a game to the point that most would see excessive and even a bit, may i say, besotted with that particular player, then yes, i would say he has done a leuth. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    The Bandwagon is up and rolling, Now has running boards and a painted lady sitting at the front. Sunderland in the playoffs any body? Good performance, bitty in places. Well taken goal. Lets move on!
    Nah I think the Cats will do it the easy way this year, and good luck to them.  A proper football team unlike their noisy neighbours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good 3 points but not kidding myself that we looked like a promotion team. Get famewho back in with innis and we may somehow be able to grind out enough wins but i just can't see it - hope i'm wrong. The midfield needs a massive overhaul in the summer - honestly don't think 1 of them is as good as what we had 2 years ago but also think the rest of the teams aren't as good either - donny had wilkes and marquis but had nothing in comparison to that today. The wage cap will have something to do with that so the summer should see a lot of movement - whatever happens, i think next year will be good.   
  • Options
    Good result and a clean sheet,
    RYAN back means our defence has instantly improved.
    we cannot keep relying on one goal leads 
    we must score more or invest in a  consistent striker.
    its early days but the team looked happier and worked hard for our new man Nigel Adkins 👍👍👍🥂🥂🥂

• Options
    Nah I think the Cats will do it the easy way this year, and good luck to them.  A proper football team unlike their noisy neighbours.
    I agree. I think the top 2 will be Sunderland & Peterborough with Pompey & Hull securing 3rd & 4th with a game or 2 to go. Then a fight for 5th & 6th for Us, Oxford, Blackpool, Ipswich Donny & Lincoln. 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Solid performance. We are so much stronger with innis. 
    Pratley scares me at time. 

Adjins shows we have options on the bench. 

Adjiins must be our new Dutch manager?

At least he's not Belgian!  :smile:

• Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    Fans wont like Adkins view on Gilbey, thought he was phenomenal
    I know who’s opinion I trust! People soon forget he was injured before and didn’t look the same player....today, again, was his first game back in a long while and he worked his socks off! Definition of a scapegoat!
         Yes me too, trust the new management who have seen him today in his first game back, not some of the negative 
    departments normal moronic opinions 😂😂👍👍👍🍷🍷
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Maatsen's goal was a very Mo Salah run, brushing off the defender and finish!
    Yes, the key thing about his position is that he wasn't playing out wide like in a 442 formation, but as one of the attacking 3 was able to attack the box from a much more central position, which is where his goal came from
  • Options
    It's a good job Doncaster had Bogle instead of Marquis.  We were quite poor, they were worse.

The number of misplaced passes after doing such sterling work to get the ball back had us screaming in frustration.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Good 3 points but not kidding myself that we looked like a promotion team. Get famewho back in with innis and we may somehow be able to grind out enough wins but i just can't see it - hope i'm wrong. The midfield needs a massive overhaul in the summer - honestly don't think 1 of them is as good as what we had 2 years ago but also think the rest of the teams aren't as good either - donny had wilkes and marquis but had nothing in comparison to that today. The wage cap will have something to do with that so the summer should see a lot of movement - whatever happens, i think next year will be good.   
    I must admit, this is pretty much how I saw it.  They certainly had a solid shape about them and you could tell they were all giving it their all.  I’m just not convinced it was anything other than 2 pretty average teams and the least average won out on the day.  I would say if that’s two teams in and around the play off promotion hunt, it really is a poor league.

I get Gilbey hasn’t had the best starts to his career at Charlton and it may come good, but I thought he was anonymous for the most part and lucky to stay on, as I felt he faded hard after 60 mins fitness wise, and perhaps I just don’t understand football, but I couldn’t really see what he offered defensively either.

Your point about the midfield is one I agree with.  I don’t think Pratley was all that.  He’s only comfortable playing the ball backwards or sideways and I really doubt next year will be a promotion winning team if he’s still in the squad.

3 pointe is great, and I was pleased that it seemed the players want to show Adkins what they’re about, but this squad just aren’t for me.  

• Options
    "Gilbey's been out for a long time and I thought he was phenomenol." Makes it sound like he's been injured, not dropped for adding sod all in his previous umpteen appearances.