Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Doncaster v Charlton | Good Friday | April 2nd, 2021

Comments

• Options
    1968CAFC said:
    Good result and a clean sheet,
    RYAN back means our defence has instantly improved.
    we cannot keep relying on one goal leads 
    we must score more or invest in a  consistent striker.
    its early days but the team looked happier and worked hard for our new man Nigel Adkins 👍👍👍🥂🥂🥂

Not sure it’s the strikers fault. The midfield isn’t really producing enough chances. I know Aneke’s hit the bar three times, but he probably won’t hit it again for years. He’s got a good per minute scoring record, but needs more minutes. 
    But agree they put in a proper shift today. 
  • Options
    Biggest positive for me was the fact that we didn't go defensive when 1-0 up. We defended higher up the pitch than we would have under Bowyer and substitutions were to bring energy and fresh legs rather than to shore up a sitting back defence. As poor as Doncaster were, in my opinion they would have scored against a Bowyer managed side. I don't believe we'll go up this season but Adkins mindset augers well for the future.
  • Options
    Having watched the game, I've just watched the 1 min highlights. I didn't realise that Matthew's played the ball inside the 6 yard box following Amos's save from Bogle too. What on earth is this habit of putting the ball on a plate for an opposition forward? He was virtually peerless last season in a league above. Very odd!
  • Options
    Probably Pratley's best game in ages as he was largely unnoticed, no silly fouls or getting in referee's face, card free, just got on with his job. Did certainly have an element of "they'll score in a minute" towards the end but we saw it out, although Doncaster didn't really look like scoring
    Difficult to judge overall but certainly 3 points gratefully accepted, would have been nice to go again on Tuesday but less said etc. Quite ironic that when we didn't need to rotate the squad previously we did, yet all of a sudden we're back with a congested list and will probably have to. 
    Pratley had a better game than recently but his passing was still poor.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Watched the game live on BeIN Sports after six beers, bottle of red and two large whiskies so my thoughts may be slightly misaligned with reality.

Amos had nothing to do all game whilst Matthews had an average game and just makes far too many unforced errors that cost goals on the other flank Purrington was solid but no more.

Inniss and Pearce were both immense - best players on the pitch.

In midfield Pratley was excellent as the shield whilst Gilbert was far, far better than I thought he would be, he looked really promising and his work rate was second to none and outshone DFC who did OK but did not get much quality possession.

Stockley is limited but works his balls off and won the flick on for the goal whilst Maatsen did what he needed to do when the chance came - but not too much else - and Jayishemi showed some flashes of his talent but did not offer that much.

As @AFKABartram said earlier we are not getting into the POs with that performance level, we didn’t create enough and need to play more football and less hoof ball to change that.

A fit Aneke changes everything for this team but sadly he just can’t seem to stay fit enough for long enough to play full games consecutively.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    PWR

Is Adkins the Leuth of Gilbey now? 
    Nice one @Leuth

• Options
    "Gilbey's been out for a long time and I thought he was phenomenol." Makes it sound like he's been injured, not dropped for adding sod all in his previous umpteen appearances.
    He was injured!?
  • Options
    He got injured after playing an U23 game quite some time ago. Today were his first minutes since then.
  • Options
    Watched the game live on BeIN Sports after six beers, bottle of red and two large whiskies so my thoughts may be slightly misaligned with reality.

Amos had nothing to do all game whilst Matthews had an average game and just makes far too many unforced errors that cost goals on the other flank Purrington was solid but no more.

In midfield Pratley was excellent as the shield whilst Gilbert was far, far better than I thought he would be, he looked really promising and his work rate was second to none and outshone DFC who did OK but did not get much quality possession.

Stockley is limited but works his balls off and won the flick on for the goal whilst Maatsen did what he needed to do when the chance came - but not too much else - and Jayishemi showed some flashes of his talent but did not offer that much.

As @AFKABartram said earlier we are not getting into the POs with that performance level, we didn’t create enough and need to play more football and less hoof ball to change that.

A fit Aneke changes everything for this team but sadly he just can’t seem to stay fit enough for long enough to play full games consecutively.
    Seems like you watched a different game to the rest of us......who's this Gilbert, DFC & Jayishemi that you speak of 😁 
  • Options

Seems like you watched a different game to the rest of us......who's this Gilbert, DFC & Jayishemi that you speak of 😁 
    Read the first line mate.
  • Options
    Innis really impressed me today with how comfortable he was on the ball. Gilbey had a few bright moments but should have scored from DJ's cross. Stockley was unlucky to have the header from the corner disallowed as normally a defender stays on the post. He uses his attributes well Millar kept giving the ball away when he came on. Purrington a steady Eddie and Maatsen better further up the field and took goal well. We may squeak into playoffs but don't think we have enough about us to go all the way TBH.
  • Options
    Good win and if Gilbey had sorted his feet out we could have easily scored a second when it hit him in the 6 yard box. 

We've made it hard for ourselves those 4 points dropped, the pen in the last minute and the Akin "have a goal mate" at AFC, could well cost us. 

But 3 points is 3 points and NA had us in a more solid shape, ish. 

Innis returning is clearly a huge plus and I think makes us a top 10 side, can we now push on? 

There are about 7 teams fighting over 2 places, that dip mid season could really cost us, but if we do get into the playoffs it will not be with free-flowing football, that feels beyond us. 

A good first real game for NA, his tactical change yielding a great result. 

Onto the next, but with confidence a little higher only. 

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Innis really impressed me today with how comfortable he was on the ball. Gilbey had a few bright moments but should have scored from DJ's cross. Stockley was unlucky to have the header from the corner disallowed as normally a defender stays on the post. He uses his attributes well Millar kept giving the ball away when he came on. Purrington a steady Eddie and Maatsen better further up the field and took goal well. We may squeak into playoffs but don't think we have enough about us to go all the way TBH.
    Should have - could have! 

Very harsh to say he should have, the ball came to him late and he wasn’t expecting it! Any player coming back from injury would be the same! It will come! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:
    I think there are two games going on here. The one neutrals watch where we are in control and rarely look in trouble . Then there’s the one Charlton supporters watch where despite all that, we are going to concede any minute as the game goes on. 
    Dead right,can anyone honestly say they are relaxed when we are winning 1-0 and totally dominating the game.The only time my heart beat returns to anything like normal is when the whistle blows.Even yesterday,when we were in control,a ridiculous back heel in our goal area could have added to the countless abominations we have seen this year.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    I think there are two games going on here. The one neutrals watch where we are in control and rarely look in trouble . Then there’s the one Charlton supporters watch where despite all that, we are going to concede any minute as the game goes on. 
    Dead right,can anyone honestly say they are relaxed when we are winning 1-0 and totally dominating the game.The only time my heart beat returns to anything like normal is when the whistle blows.Even yesterday,when we were in control,a ridiculous back heel in our goal area could have added to the countless abominations we have seen this year.
    I honestly can’t remember. 
  • Options
    Feeling far more optimistic now. Interesting times ahead over the next few weeks. 
     Delighted Inness is back. Great performance from Ryan and honourable mentions for JFC, Maatsen, DJ, Pratley and Pearce. 
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    Feeling far more optimistic now. Interesting times ahead over the next few weeks. 
     Delighted Inness is back. Great performance from Ryan and honourable mentions for JFC, Maatsen, DJ, Pratley and Pearce. 
    Wins at home will be the acid test; we were doing ok away under LB
  • Options
    Very solid and composed performance. What a difference Inniss makes to the defence. I was dubious about Maatsen on the right but he showed really good energy and composure for his first goal. Prately did what he does best in midfield and broke up play. The team looked much more confident and sure footed. Not a classic and the team sat back last minutes or so, struggling to keep possession but saw out the 7 minutes extra time without too much trouble. Donnie were toothless up front but they partially struggled due to the coherent, balanced and hard working midfield that kept discipline and shape. The team looks much happier and confident in what they were asked to do. A promising start for Nigel Adkins & the players.
  • Options
    7 games without without defeat and counting...now we are entering territory at the business end of the season where it becomes habit and other teams start to spend more time worrying about us taking their spot in the playoffs or stopping them claiming an automatic place...the game is on 
  • Options
    Unpopular opinion but the backheel was good, inniss just wasn't on his wavelength and didn't react like he should have. 
    Any defender doing a blind backheel into his own six yard box is a moron.
    Thing was, Matthews wanted Amos to come for it (signalling to him) and Amos was rooted to his line. It wasn’t the only time it happened yesterday.