Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Doncaster v Charlton | Good Friday | April 2nd, 2021

Comments

• Options
    “Nads.”

No. Just no.
  • Options
    Well, we have gone and done it ain't we,, we bloody well won on Sky ffs.
    Thought the back four were a bit more solid with the return of Ryan, we also controlled things a bit better in midfield, although at times we seemed to be pratting about a bit too much in the link up between mid and defence, and against a better organised side we could have been robbed and turned over too easily.
    Great to see Maatsen get his first senior goal, and wasn't it created and taken so well, so we have a new right winger that Nige sussed on the training ground, Stockley immense up front, in fact they all played pretty solid, so a week off and we go again next Saturday at Sunderland, a much sterner test yes, but who's to say a repeat performance and another three points can't be on the cards.
    Regarding Maatsen......this might have been a Jacko suggestion?
    May be right, i don't know, but whoever it was it worked fine, and he certainly adapted to the
    role, as he said in his after match interview, he is open to learning new and varied roles within
    the team setup, so good on him, and maybe Jacko
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Chunes said:
    Bogle is such a strange player. I thought he showed a few nice touches at the beginning, nice turn to get a shot away, and then he was ineffective and looked out of his depth. Tried to do things by himself and offered no threat - our defenders did not look bothered by him. 

Bogle did the lovely turn but got carried away by that. Must drive managers mental. If he kept it simple, he would be a lot more use to his team. 

yesterday it seemed he was crying out for a strike partner or at least an attacking midfielder. he could hold the ball but it was always with his back to goal (well marshalled by our centre halfs). needed a runner to lay it off to. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Both Mr Adkins and JFC said after the game that they think we need to improve when we're on the ball.
    I liked that lack of complacency, and that there was something worthwhile to work on.
    Encouraging.
    I suppose you could say it’s encouraging they are  saying things like ‘I have an idea of how I want us to play but the players we have now abs where they are at it’s not possible’ 

it would be more encouraging if the players who we had now and where they were at could play as expected/desired though. Maybe it will come with these or if not next season with other players. 
  • Options
    Unpopular opinion but the backheel was good, inniss just wasn't on his wavelength and didn't react like he should have. 
    Any defender doing a blind backheel into his own six yard box is a moron.
    Yep, every defender should know you don't make blind passes in the penalty area.

Rule 1)  If in doubt. Out. Row Z.

• Options
    I know some will hold a different view, but I don't care how we play as long as we win. 

My feeling is that Nads is thinking the same.

He's already said it's not possible to play the way he wants - but clearly said he's chasing results.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I keep thinking about Stockley's offside goal, which he headed direct from the corner kick.

Law 11: "There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from a goal kick, a corner kick, or a throw-in." 

There were of course 3 Charlton players in offside positions but each ambling back away from the goal, clearly not challenging or participating in play, nor obstructing an opponent.

One bizarre thing: at the point when the corner kick was taken, there were 4 Doncaster defenders in a row on their own 6 yard line and 3 Charlton players between them and the goal line. In all my time as a player and supporter, I've never seen a defence line up like that defending a corner.

I've watched the incident several times now and feel the goal should have stood.
    Remember, "There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from a corner kick" ..... which Stockley did.

I wonder if any of our qualified referees on here would like to comment?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I keep thinking about Stockley's offside goal, which he headed direct from the corner kick.

Law 11: "There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from a goal kick, a corner kick, or a throw-in." 

There were of course 3 Charlton players in offside positions but each ambling back away from the goal, clearly not challenging or participating in play, nor obstructing an opponent.

One bizarre thing: at the point when the corner kick was taken, there were 4 Doncaster defenders in a row on their own 6 yard line and 3 Charlton players between them and the goal line. In all my time as a player and supporter, I've never seen a defence line up like that defending a corner.

I've watched the incident several times now and feel the goal should have stood.
    Remember, "There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from a corner kick" ..... which Stockley did.

Okay @Leuth ..... you're laughing out loud.
    Care to explain how the 3 Charlton players in an offside position were active/interfering with play when a player receives the ball direct from a corner (Law 11) ....?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    " clearly not challenging or participating in play, nor obstructing an opponent".........the fact is that the goal might have been given to the player (DM) who obstructed the goalkeeper and deflected it into the net.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Okay, I was so intent on examining the build up to Stockley's header,  I completely missed the deflection off DJ lol.

You may as well all have a good laugh at my expense haha!

A thinly veiled attempt to build up your lol total me thinks @Oggy Red B)
  • Options
    Even if it hadn’t deflected in off DJ, DJ was standing in front of the keeper. A lot of referees would interpret that as obstructing the keeper’s view and therefore interfering with play. 
  • Options
    Even if it hadn’t deflected in off DJ, DJ was standing in front of the keeper. A lot of referees would interpret that as obstructing the keeper’s view and therefore interfering with play. 
    I presumed until a later replay that was the reason for the offside 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    You could say the same thing about DJ's goal v Wimbledon, Stockley was in front of the keeper!
     It also reminds me of a quote from the late Brian Clough after a similar decision went against him..
    " If he's not interfering with play, then he shouldn't be on the pitch"
  • Options
    Seen from another replay angle, DJ was moving away from the keeper- and not obstructing him.

The issue was the ball deflecting off DJ - and therefore deemed to be played by him. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Okay, I was so intent on examining the build up to Stockley's header,  I completely missed the deflection off DJ lol.

You may as well all have a good laugh at my expense haha!

A thinly veiled attempt to build up your lol total me thinks @Oggy Red B)
    Haha ..... no, I don't worry too much about likes and lols. I'm hardly Premier League, like some. :smile:

• Options
    You could say the same thing about DJ's goal v Wimbledon, Stockley was in front of the keeper!
     It also reminds me of a quote from the late Brian Clough after a similar decision went against him..

" If he's not interfering with play, then he shouldn't be on the pitch"
    And, of course, during most of Brian Clough's career, the offside law hadn't yet been meddled with.

It was either clearly offside or not ...... but even then the officials didn't always get that right!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Seen from another replay angle, DJ was moving away from the keeper- and not obstructing him.

The issue was the ball deflecting off DJ - and therefore deemed to be played by him. 

Even if his direction of travel was away from the goalkeeper, DJ could still have been deemed to be in the GK’s field of view and therefore interfering with play. It’s one of those that could’ve gone either way, depending on the referee making the decision. As it was, all ambiguity was removed for us. :-)
  • Options
    Was it Alex Ferguson who said words to the effect that if you are on the pitch and not interfering with play you should be?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

It struck another Charlton player on the way into the net. The player was offside.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Oggy Red said:

It struck another Charlton player on the way into the net. The player was offside.
    As I've already been reminded by half of Charlton Life! haha :smile:

• Options
    Wasn’t blown with performance but a great result. Very similar to Wigan, Rochdale and Bristol Rovers away.

JFC getting the plaudits but Inniss a clear MOM for me. 

That 11 and formation won’t take us into the play offs though .

Just nice to go into the weekend with a win though 
    You may have to get to accept that type of formation though. It was telling reading before the game of Nads quotes to the local press along the lines of we don't have the players to play the way he wants to play so he needs to find a way to play to get the best of the players he has got in a way that will win games. Big changes afoot this summer.     
    Large..........I prefer Addickins to NADS
    Which makes him sound about 6 with a hurt knee.
  • Options
    Wasn’t blown with performance but a great result. Very similar to Wigan, Rochdale and Bristol Rovers away.

JFC getting the plaudits but Inniss a clear MOM for me. 

That 11 and formation won’t take us into the play offs though .

Just nice to go into the weekend with a win though 
    You may have to get to accept that type of formation though. It was telling reading before the game of Nads quotes to the local press along the lines of we don't have the players to play the way he wants to play so he needs to find a way to play to get the best of the players he has got in a way that will win games. Big changes afoot this summer.     
    Large..........I prefer Addickins to NADS
    Which makes him sound about 6 with a hurt knee.

Whatever. At least it is not disrespecting our Manager, as the ones who seem to think they are clever are prepared to do.
  • Options
    The stand out thing for me is we looked like we enjoyed our football more, it seems NA has simplified things for the lads and they have a clearer understanding of what's required and what they need to do individually and as a unit. Happy days.