Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Doncaster v Charlton | Good Friday | April 2nd, 2021

Comments

• Options
    Although it wasn't the most exciting of games that's the most this team has played as a team in ages. The workrate was excellent generally and much more a cohesive unit . Great to have Ryan Innis back, Pearce was solid alongside him.
       I would imagine that Maatsens goal will do wonders for his confidence.  DJ was very good and JFC worked his socks off,must have covered the whole pitch.

• Options
    Clean sheets win matches and spark end of season play-off pushes. You Reds 
  • Options
    Best away record in the league. I knew it was good but not that good.

Even with our 'trusty' defence I never felt in any danger of conceding. Doncaster were poor and we looked pretty well organised. Not a great game for the neutral at all but it was a professional performance from us and another 3 points on the board. I don't care how we get them 3 points at this stage.

Well done Nige and the boys.
    Just need to ensure we're still in it after the Play-Off game @ the Valley, the last two will be away so we'll be fine ;)
  • Options
    So much better defensively 
  • Options
    If, and its still a big if, we will win them because we will go in as the form team.

Inniss, Pearce, JFC, Maatsen all out standing.  Pratley, DJ and Stockley very good.

Amos didn't have much to do.

Millar has gone backwards at a rate of knots, hopefully today was just jet lag.

Gilbey got through a massive amount of work for someone who hasn't played for a while.  I don't think he "is shit" I just am unsure what he is ment to contribute.
  • Options
    Great to get three points but with a few exceptions I thought it was pretty poor if I’m honest. JFC was the Duracell bunny today. Maatsen is a good footballer and centre half pair steadied a sometimes creaking ship. Stockley did what he does. If that’s as good as it’s going to get then I’ll be disappointed but we’re still in it and god only knows how. I’m still thinking Adkins time will start next season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We just had to win to keep us in the frame. Defensively a vast improvement and more reminiscent of the October side in that respect.

thought gilbey was awful, terrible in possession. Shinnie would have been much better in that role.

overall we were poor on the ball, didn’t retain possession. Stockley did well but there was way too much hopeful balls into him which stopped us retaining the ball in their half. So many of the balls are really lofty as well which are so easy to defend against. Need more variety if we’re going to do that and more ping (see the goal for example). JFC was all over the pitch but his passing is not meaningful enough and to much of this pathetic scoopy lofting. 

Anyway, we just needed the result and having Iniss back is massive. If we can start keeping clean sheets then you never know.

but I would be flabbergasted if this lot managed to get promoted, much worse than any of our 3 league one play sides in the past 
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    Fans wont like Adkins view on Gilbey, thought he was phenomenal
    I know who’s opinion I trust! People soon forget he was injured before and didn’t look the same player....today, again, was his first game back in a long while and he worked his socks off! Definition of a scapegoat!
    Not a case of trusting opinions. The manager is clearly building a player up, and it’s no problem in any way, but he was very far from phenomenal and I’ll don’t think you’ll find a single other person saying it. 

Not important though 
    His work rate was phenominal! Which is probably the context in which Adkins meant it in?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Well, we have gone and done it ain't we,, we bloody well won on Sky ffs.
    Thought the back four were a bit more solid with the return of Ryan, we also controlled things a bit better in midfield, although at times we seemed to be pratting about a bit too much in the link up between mid and defence, and against a better organised side we could have been robbed and turned over too easily.
    Great to see Maatsen get his first senior goal, and wasn't it created and taken so well, so we have a new right winger that Nige sussed on the training ground, Stockley immense up front, in fact they all played pretty solid, so a week off and we go again next Saturday at Sunderland, a much sterner test yes, but who's to say a repeat performance and another three points can't be on the cards.
  • Options
    Followed the game on the match thread, now reading the post-match thread you’d think they were two totally different games!
  • Options
    Solid away win. "Professional" as they say

Donnie made it easy for us though, as they're so predictable. While I'm happy that Bogle moved on, it would be unfair to solely blame him for their lack of goals, as there's no creativity or pace around him. You can see why their recent form has been so poor, I'd be staggered if they finish in the top 6 now.

Both our centre backs were excellent, Pratley had one of his good Pratley games where he did the water carrying without getting too "niggly". Maatsen was excellent in the first half, but faded as an attacking force in the second. I was slightly surprised DJ was subbed, as he had looked very good, and had more end product than Millar who wasted a number of good situations when he came on.

Whereas Bowyer tended to make subs early, Adkins left them quite late. Stockley had looked knackered for 10 minutes before he came off, while Gilbey could have been replaced earlier, considering it was his first game for ages
  • Options
    Played well overall and mostly solid, would have liked a bit more possession, but I don’t think that was the game plan. Nice to have innis in the back four, and Pearce did well with a great clearance. Interesting seeing Maatsen as a winger, and obviously did well for the goal. Would’ve liked to see him and DJ get the ball on the floor or down the side a bit more. JFC and Stockley won their battles and Gilbey and Pratley made life difficult for them to go through the middle the other way. Lots of positives to build on. Don’t think anyone liked the Matthews back heel into danger and need to cut out those simple defensive mistakes. It’s another win and puts more pressure on the teams with games in hand to get results.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Good game for Innis to come back, was not really pushed, although I agree with Sky, JF-C MOM, but I though Pratley played like he did at Wembley, everywhere and stopping most attacks. I do not see many games live, so good to see and view a win. Bogle played the same as he did for us, busy, but no threat and offside a few times
  • Options
    Good result and great structure. Worked for each other and looked positive. Thought Innis was great and was pleasantly shocked he done the full game!

Gilbey and JFC had a good game and provided good energy and I think Matt Smith is good back up as like for like.

Thought the header from Pearce near the death was brilliant. 

This to me shows that these are good players that were managed poorly before and Adkins will get the best out of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are so much more assured with Inniss In the team. Also thought Gilbey had a decent game, amazing what a change of manager can do.  I can’t have Millar at all, he came on fell over a couple of times, dived and that was it.
  • Options
    11 more 1-0s and we'll be in the Championship  ;)
    Only need ten more... Can draw one Semi-Final game 0-0 :)
  • Options
    Few Doncaster comments from Twitter...

Joke !!!  why have the owners gone for a manager that is has no experience and condemned us to another year for in league 1. But not just blaming Butler players were poor attacking and passing need a lot of work

Fucking shit. Fucking shit tactics, shit attacking, shit defending, nothing good just shit. I love Andy Butler but this isn’t good and I don’t want it ending in us hating him! We should’ve been pushing for too 2 now we’re pushing for top half! SORT IT OUT

Two horrific teams. But we took horrific to a level that made Charlton look like they were Champions League. Wank. Worst Good Friday since Jesus got nailed.

Players need more urgency and aggression. That has to come from themselves

Can't believe people feel that getting rid off Butler would make any difference. Once league 1 found us out Moore was off.

I’ll say what I said last week. We were shite before Butler took over. Open your eyes and look at the players!!
    Nailed on the cross?

I,'ll raise you hung drawn and quartered under Bowyer this season...

Love football fans!
  • Options
    rina said:
    quite a strange feeling today as the board went up for 7 minutes extra. at 1-0 up that would normally be a sinking feeling followed by 7 minutes of nail biting, today I just felt completely calm about the whole thing, just couldn't imagine any way we were going to concede this afternoon
    Me too, I thought our game management was a lot better today.
  • Options
    11 more 1-0s and we'll be in the Championship  ;)
    I'll take that, no problem
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Innis a presence but also impressed me how comfortable on the ball he is as well and can use both feet

Palace is renowned for their academy. Surprised we don't play Inniss up front - Palace would have taught him how to win penalties. :smile:

• Options
    Good solid win.
  • Options
    rina said:
    quite a strange feeling today as the board went up for 7 minutes extra. at 1-0 up that would normally be a sinking feeling followed by 7 minutes of nail biting, today I just felt completely calm about the whole thing, just couldn't imagine any way we were going to concede this afternoon
    Me too, I thought our game management was a lot better today.
    I didn't think it was that good towards the end of normal time, but we defended very well and Donnie were toothless.