Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ronnie Schwartz (Page 73 - contract cancelled)

Comments

• Is there any other professional footballer that can only do something in a game by getting 'service'

Having played the game only at sunday league level as a striker, if I was getting no service and constantly coming off after a game having touched the ball once i would naturally do something different like drop deeper or move closer to a player with the ball just to get a touch.
  • Didn't even realize he came on to be honest. Doesn't do anything. 

We've heard about how great a finisher he is from Bowyer, but I'm growing more and more skeptical of this working out. 
  • Ghost like.

Can’t recall a player so ineffectual. It is like he is a normal bloke who has won a competition to be a professional footballer for a season.

Nice guy though.
  • hmmm...

Not sure how long the ‘but he’s not getting any service’ view will continue to hold much weight. Catch 22 now, he needs to get longer game time, but doesn’t show anything to justify warranting it
    What's he supposed to do when he is (as far as i believe) a fox in the box type striker but you bring him on when you've taken both wingers, our only creative outlets off?
  • hmmm...

Not sure how long the ‘but he’s not getting any service’ view will continue to hold much weight. Catch 22 now, he needs to get longer game time, but doesn’t show anything to justify warranting it
    What's he supposed to do when he is (as far as i believe) a fox in the box type striker but you bring him on when you've taken both wingers, our only creative outlets off?
    And launch it long to stockley every time who lost a fair number of headers in the second half!
  • hmmm...

Doesn’t deserve to start over Washington. Personally, thinking it’s probably better giving him a run out in the under 23s as these cameos are painful. 

It’s starting to become a running joke in the house that a cheer goes up when he touches the ball. 

• Although it came with a formation change that worked in the short term, I feel it's quiet telling that he was not player who came on when Washington was injured. 
  • Although it came with a formation change that worked in the short term, I feel it's quiet telling that he was not player who came on when Washington was injured. 
    And that Jackson didn’t turn to him at all on Tuesday? 
  • This is a “network” style signing.  Will be interesting to see if we get more of these in the summer 
  • Sponsored links:

• Is there any other professional footballer that can only do something in a game by getting 'service'

Having played the game only at sunday league level as a striker, if I was getting no service and constantly coming off after a game having touched the ball once i would naturally do something different like drop deeper or move closer to a player with the ball just to get a touch.
    We play to Stockley and Aneke's strengths. He needs to do more, but we need to enable him to do more too. I'd suggest we don't play him alongside Aneke or Stockley but players who we play the ball to their feet.
  • hmmm...

It's a bit of both tbh honest but I'd say you're right on the whole.
    I was going to say that we've bought the wrong striker for this league if you think a fox in the box is going to cut it here. They have little success in this league. Most goals are self made by a big lump not unlike chuks.

But I've just watched a video of Charlie Wykes goals for Sunderland last year and this year. Yes he's a big lump, but I would say 99% of his goals are scored from him receiving the ball in the opposition's penalty area. The quality of ball he receives from wide areas and through the middle are of far superior quality than anything I've seen from us this season. We have a timid midfield that is scared of its own shadow most of the time. Millar does show some intent but the quality of pass at the end of things is largely woeful.

Yes. Schwartz needs to have more intelligent movement when in attacking areas but dare I say a striker like him would be better served by a Maddison or a McGeady?
  • hmmm...

It's a bit of both tbh honest but I'd say you're right on the whole.
    I was going to say that we've bought the wrong striker for this league if you think a fox in the box is going to cut it here. They have little success in this league. Most goals are self made by a big lump not unlike chuks.

But I've just watched a video of Charlie Wykes goals for Sunderland last year and this year. Yes he's a big lump, but I would say 99% of his goals are scored from him receiving the ball in the opposition's penalty area. The quality of ball he receives from wide areas and through the middle are of far superior quality than anything I've seen from us this season. We have a timid midfield that is scared of its own shadow most of the time. Millar does show some intent but the quality of pass at the end of things is largely woeful.

Yes. Schwartz needs to have more intelligent movement when in attacking areas but dare I say a striker like him would be better served by a Maddison or a McGeady?
    Or williams or oztumer. The problem is that the previous manager got rid of all our flair players to play pratson! 
  • As much as he offers nothing outside the box a lot of strikers would have had little impact in that second half. The diamond meant we lost our width and then taking off both wingers meant we had no way to get it back.

It’s hard to see him ever making enough of an impact to be a squad player playing here and there.

It feels to me like it’s only going to work out if our style and formation built is built around him and he gets regular games.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes back to Denmark in the summer.
  • Genuine question but can anyone name another player in professional football that can be compared to Ronnie that won't do a thing all game but if he gets the ball to feet in the box he will score?
  • Genuine question but can anyone name another player in professional football that can be compared to Ronnie that won't do a thing all game but if he gets the ball to feet in the box he will score?
    Teddy Sherringham, Solksjaer
  • Can see him leaving in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ronnie will do f all but redeem himself by scoring the winner at Wembley in May. 
  • Gary Lineker once said the secret of his success was just to get into a bit of space and let the better footballers get the ball to him. 
  • Scoham said:
    I thought Sherringham was comfortable dropping deep, linking the play and picking out a pass?

For a Charlton comparison how do you think BWP would have done in the first half yesterday and then how would we have done coming on when Schwartz did?

Most of Schwartz’s appearances have come late in the game when the team are struggling to put more than a couple of passes together. Even if he was dropping deep or charging around closing down defenders how much of that would actually make a difference?
    Wash your mouth out, Schwartz isn’t fit to lace BWP’s boots at the moment. 
  • Too early to write Ronnie off. He’s under contract and Nads will have ample time to assess his abilities or otherwise. We’ll find out come summer and if he’s not part of the plan I can see a loan back to Denmark.
  • Some of us got criticised for calling him a dud quite early on, which is looking spot on sadly.
  • se9addick said:
    Scoham said:
    I thought Sherringham was comfortable dropping deep, linking the play and picking out a pass?

For a Charlton comparison how do you think BWP would have done in the first half yesterday and then how would we have done coming on when Schwartz did?

Most of Schwartz’s appearances have come late in the game when the team are struggling to put more than a couple of passes together. Even if he was dropping deep or charging around closing down defenders how much of that would actually make a difference?
    Wash your mouth out, Schwartz isn’t fit to lace BWP’s boots at the moment. 
    I agree he’s not, but that’s not what I said.

What I asked was how well would BWP do having the sort of cameos Schwartz is?

It’s not as if we have a midfield full of pace and creativity on the pitch and Schwartz is missing chance after chance.

When he’s on the pitch we barely manage to get a cross in or play a through ball - the kind of service BWP thrived on.

No doubt he could be doing more but he’s not entirely to blame.
  • SamB09 said:
    Genuine question but can anyone name another player in professional football that can be compared to Ronnie that won't do a thing all game but if he gets the ball to feet in the box he will score?
    You evidently didn’t see either play . 
  • SamB09 said:
    Genuine question but can anyone name another player in professional football that can be compared to Ronnie that won't do a thing all game but if he gets the ball to feet in the box he will score?
    Sir Edward of Sheringham was a brilliant player - I suggest you find some clips on YouTube and educate yourself about football
  • I'm amazed at how many fans are willing to cut him slack purely based on YouTube highlights.

I'm sure he's a nice bloke, but he's a luxury player (if even that) that is just a wasted squad number. 
  • edited March 2021
    You can’t judge a player who hasn’t been given a real chance and whose morale and confidence must be at an all time low right now. Sadly, we don’t see him as having a place in our team despite playing with a target man in Jayden or Chuks. I find it very odd that we replaced Connor with Jayesimi yesterday with Ronnie seemingly the most obvious like for like replacement sitting on the bench.