Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ronnie Schwartz (Page 73 - contract cancelled)

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Never know a couple of weeks under Adkins training regime may be just the ticket.
    Adkins said in his daily video tweet today that he's having one-one meeting with all the players either today or over the next few days. Wonder what Shwartz will say - personally hopefully he'll get on his back about getting some proper gametime.
    More game time for Schwartz means less game time for Washington, Aneke and/or Stockley which is hard to justify at the moment. He probably needs to make do with fairly short cameos at the moment and try to stake a claim to more game time through contributing something in those moments, actually kicking the ball once or twice would be a good place to start. 
    Exactly. Also Adkins would be a poor manager if he gave someone game time for getting on his back about it in a one to one meeting - which I'm not suggesting Ronnie would do anyway. 

He may discuss his struggles and disappointments at not playing, which is understandable, as well as if he has a future under Adkins and his preferred system. 

But Ronnie will know as well as anyone that the way he is going to get into the squad, unless we have freak injuries, is by training well and taking his chances when he does get on. 
    Perhaps get on his back was the wrong phrase, I meant it more as in hopefully he'll show a hunger and passion to get more gametime and get more goals.
  • He's a fox in the box forward so in theory should compliment our strike force with the others being different types. Give him some proper minutes now Washington is injured and assess from there 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I agree the Bogle comments were harsh, but the bloke had all of his career in English football, was able to see his family and had people he knew from football all around him.

Had the Schwartz deal been done in Summer we may be having a very different conversation. Unfortunately thanks to ESI we aren't.
    You agree they were harsh, but then go on to justify why you think he got them.

Yet Schwartz, whose harshest treatment he is actually getting from fans is getting called a dud or a flop, is getting mistreated by fans and should be given a chance.

Not sure I quiet agree with that myself.

• We need to see what Adkins makes of the squad as a whole and whether he decides to tinker a bit with shape/formation.

There's definitely a theoretical team/squad that has a place for a "pure" goal scoring type - BWP never offered much other than goals but as long as he kept scoring them his place was safe.

We have to look at it now as a new era and a fresh start. Adkins (and perhaps TS) might decide this season is a busted flush and just spend the rest of the time experimenting with different ideas for next season, or might well quickly have an idea he fixes his mind to. We shall see.
  • edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    I agree the Bogle comments were harsh, but the bloke had all of his career in English football, was able to see his family and had people he knew from football all around him.

Had the Schwartz deal been done in Summer we may be having a very different conversation. Unfortunately thanks to ESI we aren't.

Yet Schwartz, whose harshest treatment he is actually getting from fans is getting called a dud or a flop, is getting mistreated by fans and should be given a chance.

I didn't justify why I think he got them? I stated the difference between Bogle and Schwartz.

You could go back and see I was on the fence with Bogle criticising him one week and supporting him the next. I try to call players fairly and one thing Bogle had going for him is he always tried. Sometimes it was a bit mad, spanking shots from 30 yards when he struggled to hit the target from 12 yards etc... 

I think people had an expectation of Bogle, he seemed to always be doing okay for other clubs, but was very stop start for us. Probably a result of Bowyer more than a reflection of the man himself. Strikers need to be allowed to make mistakes and he wasn't given that. I thought it was madness we were loaning him out, but realistically it was for the best as Bowyer was subbing him 30 mins into games. 

Bogle played 17 games for us, he racked up 856 minutes...

Bogle had more game time (more than double Schwartz's 390 minutes so far).

He managed just one more goal and one assist in those extra minutes (finishing with 2 goals and 1 assist before moving to Doncaster where he has two goals in 646 minutes).

I am sure he done more on the pitch to hassle defenders etc and to win flick ons etc, but obviously that is my memory saying he did, it's not something I am able to evidence. He was a very different player to Stockley as the big man or Washington or Schwartz. He weirdly was more similar to Aneke in playing style, though the quality was often lacking for the comparison. That is why I think he got the criticisms he got, people expected him to be another Aneke, he isn't, wasn't and never will be. We have no comparable off the shoulder striker to compare Schwartz to, as Oggy said before, BWP is probably the fairest. Didn't touch the ball much, but when he did it was in the 18 yard box and often ended with a goal. Schwartz's touches haven't even been in the 18 for the most part. 

Give him a summer, see how he does next season and judge then. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I didn't justify why I think he got them? I stated the difference between Bogle and Schwartz.

You could go back and see I was on the fence with Bogle criticising him one week and supporting him the next. I try to call players fairly and one thing Bogle had going for him is he always tried. Sometimes it was a bit mad, spanking shots from 30 yards when he struggled to hit the target from 12 yards etc... 

I think people had an expectation of Bogle, he seemed to always be doing okay for other clubs, but was very stop start for us. Probably a result of Bowyer more than a reflection of the man himself. Strikers need to be allowed to make mistakes and he wasn't given that. I thought it was madness we were loaning him out, but realistically it was for the best as Bowyer was subbing him 30 mins into games. 

He managed just one more goal and one assist in those extra minutes. I am sure he done more on the pitch to hassle defenders etc and to win flick ons etc, but obviously that is my memory saying he did, it's not something I am able to evidence. He was a very different player to Stockley as the big man or Washington or Schwartz. He weirdly was more similar to Aneke in playing style, though the quality was often lacking for the comparison. That is why I think he got the criticisms he got, people expected him to be another Aneke, he isn't, wasn't and never will be. We have no comparable off the shoulder striker to compare Schwartz to, as Oggy said before, BWP is probably the fairest. Didn't touch the ball much, but when he did it was in the 18 yard box and often ended with a goal. Schwartz's touches haven't even been in the 18 for the most part. 

Going back to my original response to JohnnyBev's post, do you believe that Schwartz has been harshly treated by fans?
  • edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

He managed just one more goal and one assist in those extra minutes. I am sure he done more on the pitch to hassle defenders etc and to win flick ons etc, but obviously that is my memory saying he did, it's not something I am able to evidence. He was a very different player to Stockley as the big man or Washington or Schwartz. He weirdly was more similar to Aneke in playing style, though the quality was often lacking for the comparison. That is why I think he got the criticisms he got, people expected him to be another Aneke, he isn't, wasn't and never will be. We have no comparable off the shoulder striker to compare Schwartz to, as Oggy said before, BWP is probably the fairest. Didn't touch the ball much, but when he did it was in the 18 yard box and often ended with a goal. Schwartz's touches haven't even been in the 18 for the most part. 

Going back to my original response to JohnnyBev's post, do you believe that Schwartz has been harshly treated by fans?
     Maybe not as bad on CL, but there is lots on Twitter and Facebook that have been harsh & unfair. I do think given that game time comparison it could be argued that it is a bit harsh, even here. 
  • edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Maybe not as bad on CL, but there is lots on Twitter and Facebook that have been harsh & unfair. 
    To be fair I do not look at Twitter or Facebook, so cannot make a judgement on what is going on there, though I imagine as ever it is probably grim.

The way I see it going from CL only is that Schwartz probably has a little more of the fan base still positive about him then those that are negative. However the ones being negative are hardly being harsh, and are making a judgment call on his ability based on what they are seeing.

Of course as you and others have made a very compelling case about mitigating circumstances, such as the upheaval in his personal life during the pandemic and the style of football we play, but calling him a dud/flop/network signing if you are not off the persuasion is hardly being harsh in my eyes.

• Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Maybe not as bad on CL, but there is lots on Twitter and Facebook that have been harsh & unfair. I do think given that game time comparison it could be argued that it is a bit harsh, even here. 
    Personal abuse on social media is uncalled for, but constructive criticism is surely part of what a fans’ forum is for .  Schwartz has been a dud - not his fault probably but it looked a Rez’s style signing to me .  How many strikers come to this country at that age and do really well, bar the real elite like Zlatan/ Zola / Vialli ? 
  • i'd liken Schwartz to Bale at spurs this time round, barely played, however now he has started to show he is still some player. Add in the fact that Bale has played in the Premier league before, old Ronnie hasn't. 

Harsh might be the wrong word, but i meant more people are quick to judge when he isn't settled yet. From the penalty miss, he was getting alot of why did he take it, as you would expect, although it was a good save. 

Time will tell, given a good run in the side and if we can create chances i am optimistic. We might see more now with Washington being injured. 
  • Han kommer godt...
  • Han kommer godt...
    Ligesom Sheffield United!
  • How long is Washington out for ? As I have said before Ronnie hasn't really had a chance imo. If Washington is out for a while maybe this is his chance to get a run of games to show what he can do
  • Once the play off dream is over, Schwartz, gilbey and Maynard brewer should all be given a few games to see if they can do a job next year. 

I like stockley but we are very one dimensional and predictable when he is in the team
    I genuinely forgot Gilbey played for us until I saw the photo of him with TS yesterday .  
  • Sponsored links:

• i'd liken Schwartz to Bale at spurs this time round, barely played, however now he has started to show he is still some player. Add in the fact that Bale has played in the Premier league before, old Ronnie hasn't. 

Harsh might be the wrong word, but i meant more people are quick to judge when he isn't settled yet. From the penalty miss, he was getting alot of why did he take it, as you would expect, although it was a good save. 

Time will tell, given a good run in the side and if we can create chances i am optimistic. We might see more now with Washington being injured. 
    In what ways is Schwartz like Gareth Bale?
  • se9addick said:
    i'd liken Schwartz to Bale at spurs this time round, barely played, however now he has started to show he is still some player. Add in the fact that Bale has played in the Premier league before, old Ronnie hasn't. 

I didn't mean literally, i meant everyone was saying how rubbish Bale had got, then all of a sudden he got more games (europa) and now people rate him again. The comparison stops there, also i think its going to be harder for RS as new country/ league, needs to settle. 
  • se9addick said:
    i'd liken Schwartz to Bale at spurs this time round, barely played, however now he has started to show he is still some player. Add in the fact that Bale has played in the Premier league before, old Ronnie hasn't. 

I didn't mean literally, i meant everyone was saying how rubbish Bale had got, then all of a sudden he got more games (europa) and now people rate him again. The comparison stops there, also i think its going to be harder for RS as new country/ league, needs to settle. 
    Cool, both were shite and now ones alright. Guess which one we bought?! 

I honestly don’t really know why we signed Schwartz. I hope he goes on to score 15 goals and power us to playoff glory, but I can’t help but feeling whatever money was spent in January on his transfer fee and salary, plus the time spent chasing him, would have been better used on a centre back. Then we really might be talking about playoffs. 

I hope he finds his feet, but he’s done almost nothing in his fleeting opportunities so far to make me think that he’s going to be a success. 
  • se9addick said:

But from what I've read on here, RS is a fox in the box who needs service? Give him all the game time in the world, it appears the other 10 need to start changing their game to suit RS.
  • I would remind all of the wise words shared by @norwayaddick when rumours of our interest in Schwartz first emerged - this is the opinion of someone who had an awareness of Schwartz before last summer and has seen more of him than just a couple of YouTube videos of highlights. 

Norway was pretty sceptical at the time and I remember listening to that rather than the folks her who had apparently, overnight, become experts on reserve team players in the Danish league. Nothing has happened since to make it look like Norway was mistaken in his evaluation. 

This is looking like it will go down as one of Charlton’s weird signings from the Nordic region, maybe at our end of season awards he can be given the Tom Hovi trophy?
  • I wonder if he’ll head home in the summer with a transfer back to Denmark? It can’t be easy for him living alone in London during a pandemic and away from family. 

• Put him on the shelf between Omar Bogle & Thomer Hemed, just along from Polish Pete.
  • edited March 2021
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Cool, both were shite and now ones alright. Guess which one we bought?! 

I honestly don’t really know why we signed Schwartz. I hope he goes on to score 15 goals and power us to playoff glory, but I can’t help but feeling whatever money was spent in January on his transfer fee and salary, plus the time spent chasing him, would have been better used on a centre back. Then we really might be talking about playoffs. 

I hope he finds his feet, but he’s done almost nothing in his fleeting opportunities so far to make me think that he’s going to be a success. 
    See this is where i mean some supporters are being harsh, quick to judge. Lets be realistic, players come from Europe all the time and sometimes it works and others it doesn't. Everyone is entitled to have their opinion, however i just feel its a bit soon personally. 

I am not even going to claim he will be a world beater or fire us to the title next year, we are under new ownership, new manager anything can happen. 

Again this is probably based on clips and his previous record (which can mean nothing) he is probably the best finisher in the club, if he can fit our system or we create chances he could be a great buy still. All ifs and buts, for now obviously it wasn't justified to buy him when we were lacking Center backs and he hasn't hit the ground running. 

I wont say more, as i say at present i haven't formed my proper opinion but i was happy when he signed as i felt we needed an out and out goalscorer.