Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ronnie Schwartz (Page 73 - contract cancelled)

Comments

• So Steve brown, 250 games for us with a lot being in the premier league. Alan curbishley managed us for 7 or 8 years in the top flight. Both have commented on the good points of Schwartz recently but yet the experts on here still call him a dud, rubbish etc.

• If Sheffield Utd can come good, I'm sure Ronnie can.

What do you think @eaststandmike ? :smile:

• Dazzler21 said:
    How long have Morgan and Schwartz had on the same pitch together?

Think Albie has the potential to be the Shinnie to Schwartz's Stockley.
    Paging Albie ....... Albie where are you?

Ronnie needs you.

• A distant relative of mine was married to an ex premier league player. I remember talking to him at the bar at a family event and him saying it’s very difficult to hit the ground running when changing clubs and it takes 6 months minimum to settle.

different training methods, tactics, living in a hotel, away from family, all make it difficult to settle and be a success straight away.  

This isn’t football manager! Schwartz is a real life person, let him settle this season and judge him next year.
    Yeh, but taking time to settle is only part of the story imo.
    Why did Bowyer buy him? To score goals.
    How are the team and Bowyers tactics being employed to best facilitate chances for him?
    Answer: I haven't got a freakin' clue.
    Surely Bowyer and co had a plan in mind to accommodate this "top striker" and make best use of his qualities.
    It's just that I can't see it and what's worse I'm not sure Ronnie does
    Bowyer may have a plan for Ronnie ... but not necessarily for this season.

Schwarz needs a particular kind of service to thrive on but do we have the kind of player to provide that at the moment?

Doubtful.

Lee probably knows that and is (hopefully) looking to rectify that in the summer, without the restrictions of a poxy salary cap.

Until then, try and do your best with the meagre scraps thrown your way and get the feel of English football. You never know, some of your team-mates might work out what you actually need and start playing decent balls in for you.

I'm not going to write off Ronnie yet.
    Oh, there is definitely more to Ronnie than we have seen.
    Bit of a leap to believe he was brought in with next season in mind though, particularly as we tried to get him in the summer.
    Perhaps we expected more from our creative players
    OK, we tried to sign him last summer.

If we'd been successful then, do you think the midfield recruitments before the season would have been exactly the same as we eventually got? Ronnie as a focal point for the attack would have meant a different style of play and, possibly (probably?), a different make up of the midfield. Don't forget to factor in the complications of a transfer embargo, a salary cap, and the general on-going off-field clusterfcuks (Covid and ownership).

Having snared Ronnie in January, how much wriggle room did Bowyer and Gallen have to get the necessary players on board? The winter transfer window is normally bloody awful for signing players as clubs will be asking silly money and some players towards the end of their contract would rather wait to the summer and leave on a free transfer to bag themselves (and their agent) a larger signing-on fee).

Assuming that Lee is able to firstly, see out the rest of the season, and secondly, oversee the summer overhaul of the squad, I'd hope that we'd be signing players that complement the style and strengths of the players that remain.

One thing I will say about watching matches during lockdown: unless we have multiple camera angles and we can see wide-angle or down-pitch views, it's very difficult to judge every player's movement off the ball. I don't think I've contributed to the StatBank since the resumption last season because I can only see a part of the action; I only post player ratings on matches I attend because then I can look away from the ball and watch what a player does.

There are players in the past who used to get a lot of stick on here because, maybe, their final touch wasn't great, shooting was wayward etc but no comment would be made on, for example, the off-the-ball runs that the player made to create space for someone else to shoot (if it resulted in a goal they were as deserving of an "assist" as the player who provided the pass) or to put themselves into a great position but then wouldn't have the ball passed to them.

If Steve Brown is picking up on Schwarz's movement from his commentary then you can be sure that Brett the Analyst is making sure Bows and Jacko know if they weren't able to see it for themselves from the dugout. You'd hope that this then gets through to the other players in the side and eventually, fingers crossed, we start getting decent service to Ronnie and he can show what he's all about.

Maybe I'm being a bit "glass half full" here (which makes a change because I'm normally a pessimistic old bugger ... although not quite at Golfie's level) but I'm not going to bin a player on the basis of one unfortunate penalty miss and a few minutes here and there in a grossly underperforming side.
    Quite so, and I hope I am not giving the impression that I want to bin him.
    What I want to see is actual evidence that the coaches and players are working, right now, to realise Schwartz's potential and talents and I am seeing none of that at the moment.
    I can't be pacified by speculation or conjecture about coulda woulda shoulda. (Not a dig at you btw).

• Ronnie has gone through that instagram post and liked everyone's supportive messages to him. Nice to see and hopefully does him the world of good seeing the fanbase are behind him.
  • Ronnie has gone through that instagram post and liked everyone's supportive messages to him. Nice to see and hopefully does him the world of good seeing the fanbase are behind him.
    Unfortunately shows how much spare time he's got the poor bloke

He might be that sort of person anyway...

I've watched a couple of episodes of Ben Foster's vlog on YouTube (Watford Goalkeeper), he briefly went through the details of what players have to do at the moment when they prepare for away games like their trip to Man Utd in the FA Cup - To slim it down, they had a few meetings, otherwise Foster spent the time in his room, watching netflix.

At the very end, at least he got to go back home etc. for Schwartz thats currently his life no doubt

He must love the weekends when its a little bit different
  • Sponsored links:

• As an ex goalie I thought it was well hit but brilliantly saved..

However, I think we have to give the bloke a chance.

Listening to how he's living at present plus he's not getting a regular 90 minutes every week it must be tough.

Look at Timo Werner at Chelsea... Last season he was knocking in goals for fun at Leipsig and this season he can hardly hit a cows arse with a banjo! 

Players coming from abroad can take time to settle and Ronnie hadn't played for six months. 

Give the fella a chance... I think he could come good. 
    Just looked at the Sky highlights again. The goalkeeper moved. Should have been re-taken.
  • and the bogle and Schwartz comparisons begin ffs.

two completely different players with different jobs for the team. 

The only comparison is mental! How hard must it be living in a hotel during lockdown! In the case of Schwartz, living in a different country, away from a pregnant wife.

cut the guy some slack
       Have you ever spent time on your own in a hotel or a house on your own ,knowing no one either here or in another country. 

I have and it is not at all easy, not even for a week let alone a lot longer.
    Not sure what your point is?  I stated in my post that it must be hard living in a hotel.
  • JamesSeed said:
    I wonder if someone’s had a word with Lee. Very different attitude over the last couple of weeks. He’s changed just about all of the things he was getting criticised for:
    Players playing in their best positions. Not blaming individuals. Going easy on them i.e. the recent day/days off. Not looking for excuses in post match interviews. Less tinkering with formations. Going back to basics. And now playing an unchanged side. 
    I wonder if Thomas has had a crisis chat with him. 
    There’s certainly been a mood change recently, which can only be a good thing.  
    I said this after Saturday's game.

I was pleased with that.
    We're struggling in L1 so I've revised my expectations.
    We looked like a team, which we hadn't for 3 months. We had looked like a bunch of strangers.
    We kept it tight and kept another clean sheet, which is absolutely great considering.
    I would have taken a point at KO.

NB Bowyer is now doing most things fans have been asking for.
    A settled team with no changes.
    A formation that keeps us tight and hard to beat.
    Players playing in the right positions.
    No wholesale changes at HT.
    Instead of putting on defenders in the 2nd half he put on more offensive players.
    No defending deeper and deeper late on.
    Calmer post match conference.

Oh and the match was a bit boring, but in the circumstances I'm really pleased that everyone gave their all, we looked organised and kept another clean sheet.
    A draw was a fair result and I thought the goalie would save the pen, because we're Charlton and that's what we do.
  • Last couple of games we've seen good signs. 

Read a rumour that a meeting had been held and players and manager have agreed to draw a line under previous issues. No idea if it's true. No idea if it'll stick. 

Last couple of performances do seem to support this angle though.
  • If you have been paying attention you will know that I have been very 'underwhelmed' by RS. I know for some lifers your not allowed to form a negative opinion about a player, but for me it's not that he's not scored - it's his lack of ability to get involved in the game otherwise.

However nothing would bring me more joy as a Charlton fan if he plays and scores on Tuesday. The last week or so, as Dazzler has mentioned above, there seems to be a change and unity among the squad - and Ronnie scoring would be massive for that. 

• When Ronnie does find his scoring boots, we have the perfect song.
    A rewrite of Villa's Gary Shaw song (to the tune of Boney M's, It's a Holi Holiday).

Ronnie Schwartz, Ronnie Shwartz,
    Ronnie, Ronnie Schwartz.
    When he gets the ball, then he's bound to score
    Ronnie, Ronnie Schwartz
    A rewrite of Villa's Gary Shaw song (to the tune of Boney M's, It's a Holi Holiday).

Ronnie, Ronnie Schwartz.
    Ronnie, Ronnie Schwartz
    That was Ronnie Moore's song in the 80's .
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:
    When Ronnie does find his scoring boots, we have the perfect song.

Ronnie, Ronnie Schwartz.
    Ronnie, Ronnie Schwartz
    That was Ronnie Moore's song in the 80's .
    Really? I'd actually forgotten that

• Ronnie Schwartz, Ronnie Shwartz,
    Ronnie, Ronnie Schwartz.
    When he gets the ball, he does f-all
    Ronnie, Ronnie Schwartz

really hope he breaks this curse!
  • Careful with your rhyme Eugene, you may get the axe. 
  • Loving the optimism, I doubt we will be singing anything.

Ronnie, Ronnie Schwartz.
    Ronnie, Ronnie Schwartz
    Is that the same tune as the "He's got no hair but we don't care" Steve Gritt song?
  • aliwibble said:
    When Ronnie does find his scoring boots, we have the perfect song.

Ronnie, Ronnie Schwartz.
    Ronnie, Ronnie Schwartz
    Is that the same tune as the "He's got no hair but we don't care" Steve Gritt song?
    Yes, correct
  • He is a Thomas signing and I suspect will not be here come the start of next season. 
  • Cant remember him touching the ball when he came on or making a run??