Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• 336-6 50 overs
  • lolwray said:
    Buttler not showing great body language here and bad execution from our bowlers especially TC and BS ..good last over from RT ...didn't think we were that lively in the field....

Let's at least put on a good determined show when we bat 
    Roy and Bairstow in some form. Livingstone on debut. Malan with a point to prove - he has always said this was his best format but he has been given less opportunities here.

Hopefully a good showing.
  • Laddick01 said:
    I don’t know why but I’ve never been convinced by the Curran’s at international level.
    I like Sam in red ball cricket, but neither should be anywhere near the white ball sides for me
    Neither should be in our first choice 11 for either short format, but their records in the IPL and Big Bash and Blast are pretty good. A case can be made for both to be in the squad.

TC is in horrible form at the moment and needs to regain his form to get in the squad for me but he has been for a few years Englands back up death bowler. Not sure who the other candidates are for that role Topley today but no one else is really pushing to make the squad. I think Topleys additional height and bounce should put him in front if he can stay fit.

Sam is a swing bowler and for me I'm not convinced there is ever a role for a pure swing bowler in white ball cricket. The ball stops swinging about over 8 and doesnt swing again. He's been working on his variations and has got better at that I think England want him to play so he has experience for the future. Again he has been Englands back up new ball bowler for a while and its a toss up between him and David Willey who is very similar (again no one else really knocking the door down to get that role). Seems they are picking Sam purely on age. I'd pick Willey due to his batting - I'm still scarred from him destroying surrey at a finals day a few years back.
    Sam needs to take a leaf out Bhuvvy Kumar's book if he is to stay in the side/squad for me, needs to get cuter later on in the innings. Haha David Willey scarred me as a Sussex fan in a blast quarter final too. 2015 I think it was - got 100 off 40 odd 
  • Laddick01 said:
    I don’t know why but I’ve never been convinced by the Curran’s at international level.
    I like Sam in red ball cricket, but neither should be anywhere near the white ball sides for me
    Neither should be in our first choice 11 for either short format, but their records in the IPL and Big Bash and Blast are pretty good. A case can be made for both to be in the squad.

TC is in horrible form at the moment and needs to regain his form to get in the squad for me but he has been for a few years Englands back up death bowler. Not sure who the other candidates are for that role Topley today but no one else is really pushing to make the squad. I think Topleys additional height and bounce should put him in front if he can stay fit.

Sam is a swing bowler and for me I'm not convinced there is ever a role for a pure swing bowler in white ball cricket. The ball stops swinging about over 8 and doesnt swing again. He's been working on his variations and has got better at that I think England want him to play so he has experience for the future. Again he has been Englands back up new ball bowler for a while and its a toss up between him and David Willey who is very similar (again no one else really knocking the door down to get that role). Seems they are picking Sam purely on age. I'd pick Willey due to his batting - I'm still scarred from him destroying surrey at a finals day a few years back.
    Sam needs to take a leaf out Bhuvvy Kumar's book if he is to stay in the side/squad for me, needs to get cuter later on in the innings. Haha David Willey scarred me as a Sussex fan in a blast quarter final too. 2015 I think it was - got 100 off 40 odd 
    Agreed about Sam. On DW yeah I think the Surrey destroying was before that. They had an injury in the semi if I remember rightly and they shifted him from eight to opening (think it was the first time he had opened) and he just took a liking to Tremlett. 

TC is in danger of becoming like Jade Dernbach was in his England career - loads of variations but they can be readable and predictable. Ended up getting loads of tap. In fairness to Jade it was a period when England didn't know how to play limited overs cricket and that was his instructions. He is a much better bowler when he bowls his stock ball 4/5 an over with the odd variation. Jade learnt this and has consistently been one of the best limited overs bowlers in county cricket in the last 10 or so years. Tom needs to work this out.
  • lolwray said:
    Buttler not showing great body language here and bad execution from our bowlers especially TC and BS ..good last over from RT ...didn't think we were that lively in the field....

Let's at least put on a good determined show when we bat 
    The two players that the fielders take a lead from are the keeper and the skipper. When one guy does both jobs and allows his head to drop because he's not taken two regimental catches, the rest of the team tends to follow out of embarrassment and sympathy!
  • Good so far. Wonder how we'll stuff it up this time...
  • Ridiculously brazen shot from Bairstow just now
  • Leuth said:
    Good so far. Wonder how we'll stuff it up this time...
    By not getting enough runs.
  • Excellent piece by Nasser at the interval about DRS and why umpires call is needed. Really worth a watch. 
  • Good 50 for Roy - his first of the tour as hes been out between 45 and 50 4 or 5 times. Hes still had a pretty decent tour though.

Bairstow joining him with a 50 now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Ah, that's how
  • Absolutely no need for a run out in this situation. The batsmen were in complete control. 
  • Here's Stokes to block it around a bit
  • edited March 2021
    The Curran brothers have never really rocked my boat.......particularly Tom.
    Unfortunately they are not England class IMHO and need replacing ASAP.
    Sorry about that.
  • The Curran brothers have never rocked my boat.......particularly Tom.
    Unfortunately they are not England class and need replacing ASAP.
    Sorry about that.
    With Archer  Wood and Woakes all being unavailable who do you suggest. 
  • The Curran brothers have never rocked my boat.......particularly Tom.
    Unfortunately they are not England class and need replacing ASAP.
    Sorry about that.
    With Archer  Wood and Woakes all being unavailable who do you suggest. 
    Well.....neither of them it’s fair to say!
  • Bairstow I can’t stand in test cricket but in white ball he could truly be one of our greats. 
  • Fuck sake stokes 
  • What if I told you that first run-out wasn't going to be close to our worst run-out of the innings
  • Sponsored links:

• Stokes was very lucky there...
  • Oh my fucking god the 3rd umpire has FUCKED that
  • Leuth said:
    Oh my fucking god the 3rd umpire has FUCKED that
    Yep, no doubt kohli will be fuming. 
  • Absolutely unforgivable decision by the third umpire.  I hope Stokes makes a big score now, to remind all Indian cricket fans how important competent third umpires are. 
  • Poetic justice 
  • Shocking again from the 3rd umpire, the sceptical part of me thinks he's done it so that it takes the pressure off him for giving Kohli and Rohit multiples lives.
  • India's tactics not looking great at the minute, its a 360+ pitch 
  • Good stuff Benjamin 
  • Leuth said:
    Here's Stokes to block it around a bit
    I'd like to claim some credit for this innings
  • stokes is just standing and waiting and cracking everything to the boundary. Unreal.