Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Buttler has just dropped Kohli off Rashid. Closed his hands about 5 minutes before the ball arrived!
    his keeping has improved but at the absolutely highest level it isn't good enough. I guess i'd still have him as white ball keeper simply because hes so good with the bat and frees up another batting position
    All keepers drop them - that is the very nature of the job - but this one was as weird as they get in the sense that not only were his hands in the wrong place but, as I say, he closed them far too early. He's either got his depth perception wrong or he just wasn't concentrating. Perhaps thinking about the captaincy. Never particularly been a fan of a keeper having to do both for that reason.
  • Some 60 runs on the total later on from his drop, Buttler catches Kohli off Rashid
  • 'There was only one man in the world who would review that' - Bairstow?
  • Buttler has just dropped Kohli off Rashid. Closed his hands about 5 minutes before the ball arrived!
    his keeping has improved but at the absolutely highest level it isn't good enough. I guess i'd still have him as white ball keeper simply because hes so good with the bat and frees up another batting position
    All keepers drop them - that is the very nature of the job - but this one was as weird as they get in the sense that not only were his hands in the wrong place but, as I say, he closed them far too early. He's either got his depth perception wrong or he just wasn't concentrating. Perhaps thinking about the captaincy. Never particularly been a fan of a keeper having to do both for that reason.
    You often see a keeper dropping an edge off a spinner because, standing so close to the point at which the ball is deflected, you have no time at all to change the position of your hands.  You naturally put them into a position where you catch the ball if he misses it and you hope they'll hit somewhere near the palms if he does edge it. 

But this one was strange.  The ball hit the back of his closed, left hand. In other words, if it hadn't been deflected off the outside edge of the bat, it looks like it would have missed his hands completely.  

(But I completely accept that my record as a wicket keeper (one stumping, ever) doesn't necessarily qualify me to offer any useful criticism of England's leading ODI wicket-keeper, who has taken more catches than any other player, taken more catches as a wicket keeper and taken more stumpings than any other player.  Especially since he's made up for the drop now). 
  • Its proving effective against England not at full strength but I don't rate India's ODI tactics. If they lose 2 or 3 quick ones now they're going to struggle. Much prefer England's game plan, even if it doesn't come off. This pitch is a belter, full strength England would be eying 350+ on this if they batted first I reckon. The way India go about it they'll really struggle to set mammoth scores
    I reckon his mind was elsewhere with captaincy issues.
  • .Chizz said:
    Buttler has just dropped Kohli off Rashid. Closed his hands about 5 minutes before the ball arrived!
    You often see a keeper dropping an edge off a spinner because, standing so close to the point at which the ball is deflected, you have no time at all to change the position of your hands.  You naturally put them into a position where you catch the ball if he misses it and you hope they'll hit somewhere near the palms if he does edge it. 

But this one was strange.  The ball hit the back of his closed, left hand. In other words, if it hadn't been deflected off the outside edge of the bat, it looks like it would have missed his hands completely.  

(But I completely accept that my record as a wicket keeper (one stumping, ever) doesn't necessarily qualify me to offer any useful criticism of England's leading ODI wicket-keeper, who has taken more catches than any other player, taken more catches as a wicket keeper and taken more stumpings than any other player.  Especially since he's made up for the drop now). 
    I asked my son about it but, as a Member of the Keeping Union, he categorically refuses to condemn Buttler.  I was turned down for Membership for being defined as a "stopper" so it is never going to be such an issue for me to do so!
  • I would have given Livingstone a bowl. Not just because we need a wicket but also because with Moeens form and the seeming reluctance of the England setup to pick him it would be good to see if Livingstone could do a role as a part time spin option. 
  • Why should the batting side be penalised 4 runs when the Umpire gets the decision wrong?
  • Does everyone else keep losing the pictures?
    I haven't heard the commentators mention it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Poor Tom - two decisions overturned now!
  • Two words.
    David Willey.
  • Tom Curran is bloody awful, this seam attack today is barely county standard
    On the other hand with Bairstow and Billings often both in the side, that's 2 people who could take the gloves without changing the batting

Billings is definitely the best keeper of the 3, it seems weird that he never keeps for England
    probably because, like bairstow, he's lightening quick in the outfield. 
  • I don’t know why but I’ve never been convinced by the Curran’s at international level.
  • We’ll obviously have to see how this one goes but I wish we’d bat first when we win the toss. Batting is our strength, we are better off doing it without the added pressure of chasing a big total. 

A lot of cricket is psychological and I’m sure it hampers us at times. We haven’t got a bowling line up at the mo to restrict them to a low score so we might as well put it out there and put the additional chasing pressure on them 
  • I'm beginning to wish we were flying home tonight.....
  • Laddick01 said:
    I don’t know why but I’ve never been convinced by the Curran’s at international level.
    sam curran is useful with his skiddy action in test cricket - think him/woakes earmarked for the jimmy anderson role. He can also bat. Not seen much of tom, however.
  • .. did sky sports just miss a wicket? I got distracted, didnt see pant get out.
  • Pant is still batting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Two words.
    David Willey.
    I'm a big fan of Willey (dont) but I'm not sure he would have solved this issue personally. Hes a swing bowler like Sam Curran, he doesn't have any additional pace or bounce, he doesn't have any more variations than Topley or TC. I would always have him in the squad - probably ahead of Sam but I'm not sure he solves this problem. The problem with this attack is no real X factor bowler to buy you a wicket or break a partnership. We miss the Wood and Archer additional pace to do this.
  • England are looking down the barrel here
    The opulent smorgasbord served up to some of the world's best white ball batsmen has been hard to watch
    The Pandya brothers must be salivating
    India's margin of victory today will make Tuesday's look narrow. 
  • We’ll obviously have to see how this one goes but I wish we’d bat first when we win the toss. Batting is our strength, we are better off doing it without the added pressure of chasing a big total. 

A lot of cricket is psychological and I’m sure it hampers us at times. We haven’t got a bowling line up at the mo to restrict them to a low score so we might as well put it out there and put the additional chasing pressure on them 
    I actually agree, particularly about the psychological side of it. I think their thinking is "batting is our strength, we will back ourselves to chase anything even if its 400".
  • Laddick01 said:
    I don’t know why but I’ve never been convinced by the Curran’s at international level.
    I like Sam in red ball cricket, but neither should be anywhere near the white ball sides for me
  • England just need to get out of India now I think, we are mentally fried
  • Right now it's beginning to look like Jos Buttler saved a lot of runs by dropping Kohli when he did.
  • Pant’s down 
  • India could've got 370/380 here
  • Laddick01 said:
    I like Sam in red ball cricket, but neither should be anywhere near the white ball sides for me
    Neither should be in our first choice 11 for either short format, but their records in the IPL and Big Bash and Blast are pretty good. A case can be made for both to be in the squad.

TC is in horrible form at the moment and needs to regain his form to get in the squad for me but he has been for a few years Englands back up death bowler. Not sure who the other candidates are for that role Topley today but no one else is really pushing to make the squad. I think Topleys additional height and bounce should put him in front if he can stay fit.

Sam is a swing bowler and for me I'm not convinced there is ever a role for a pure swing bowler in white ball cricket. The ball stops swinging about over 8 and doesnt swing again. He's been working on his variations and has got better at that I think England want him to play so he has experience for the future. Again he has been Englands back up new ball bowler for a while and its a toss up between him and David Willey who is very similar (again no one else really knocking the door down to get that role). Seems they are picking Sam purely on age. I'd pick Willey due to his batting - I'm still scarred from him destroying surrey at a finals day a few years back.
  • Buttler not showing great body language here and bad execution from our bowlers especially TC and BS ..good last over from RT ...didn't think we were that lively in the field....

Let's at least put on a good determined show when we bat