Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• This match showed for me why we need buttler as a finisher. We lack anyone that can do what he can. He also breaks up the 4 left handers in a row which would have been key tonight. 

Bairstow (Hales) to open. Root for Malan and Moeen for Curran and suddenly we have a world cup winning side.
  • Chizz said:
    As an aside that's 5 one sided matches between India and England so far this tour
    Six now
    And another
    Not another
  • This match showed for me why we need buttler as a finisher. We lack anyone that can do what he can. He also breaks up the 4 left handers in a row which would have been key tonight. 

Bairstow (Hales) to open. Root for Malan and Moeen for Curran and suddenly we have a world cup winning side.
    You took the words out of my mouth. We just need to be flexible but Root/Morgan/Buttler/Stokes as the middle order makes most sense as a starting point

You took the words out of my mouth. We just need to be flexible but Root/Morgan/Buttler/Stokes as the middle order makes most sense as a starting point
    Exactly, when things go well it might mean we dont get the most out of Jos but when they go badly he can be the difference between a win and a loss. You can argue that when things go well you dont need to get the most out of him!
  • Does Billings bat right handed?

The other option to break up those 4 lefties and bring in a finisher is to bring Billings in and stick someone up to 3 (Probably Stokes as suggested by Dinesh Kartik on sky).
  • edited March 2021
    Think we've got to be flexible with the order. If you're Stokes, Malan, Morgan, Root, Bairstow, Buttler you have to be prepared to bat anywhere from 2 to 7 depending on what the game situation dictates. Let's make sure we have a healthy mix (4/3) right handers and left handers one way or the other and have them all padded up ready to go when called upon. The only solid choice in that line up for me is Roy opening and the tail starts at 8 through 11.
  • Does Billings bat right handed?

The other option to break up those 4 lefties and bring in a finisher is to bring Billings in and stick someone up to 3 (Probably Stokes as suggested by Dinesh Kartik on sky).
    As much as I'm a big Bilbo fan I really don't believe that he is the solution. Promoting Stokes instead of playing Root at 3 makes no sense. All the best T20 sides have someone who can play Test cricket as a top order batsman - Kohli, Williamson, Smith, Babar Azam etc - specifically as an alternative to the hitters especially for the times when the pitch proves difficult to bat on i.e. when 150 is likely to be a winning score.
  • England unchanged. Gotta feel for moeen. Pointless taking him out of the test side now 
  • “You don’t play your best player opening the batting in t20” - kohli’s opening for India 
  • 81-0 off 8 for India
  • Sponsored links:

• “You don’t play your best player opening the batting in t20” - kohli’s opening for India 
    But Kohli isn't being asked to play like Buttler is he? 25 off 23 suggests he's doing the Root role that I spoke about previously i.e. rotating every ball and getting the hitter on strike. I've never seen Buttler do that opening.
  • That is one of the greatest catches of all time!
  • Jordan is an absolutely unreal fielder. 
  • That's absolutely sensational from CJ , one hell of a fielder. 
  • India posted a poor 191-2 off 17.5...
  • Jordan is an absolutely unreal fielder. 
    He's like a cooler version of Archer, but can bat, field and bowl better than him. 
  • A brilliant batting display from India I cannot deny that.
    But England have bowled very poor and not stuck to any kind of game plan.

• Boundaries completely dried up for us since the tenth
  • Sponsored links:

• Once again any kind of pressure and bairstow folds 
  • Too many conceded, to be fair. We could have chased down 180/190 but they got too many. 
  • Rahkeem Cornwall show on BT Sport right now...
  • Moeen playing like someone who has hardly had any cricket. Figures of 3-0-28-0 and dropped a sitter too.
  • But now partially makes up for those failings by catching Kohli. Will hopefully make him feel better about things because he is a player who is affected by confidence.
  • That could be an absolute shocker for Billings. I really hope that isn't the shoulder he previously dislocated and had to have an operation on.
  • That could be an absolute shocker for Billings. I really hope that isn't the shoulder he previously dislocated and had to have an operation on.
    Good news - not the same injury and England hopeful he will bat
    Ollie Pope had the exact same injury as Billings before and Pope did his again whilst fielding. It seems that it makes you more likely to do it again.

Would be a real shame for Billings if he we're to miss out on the World T20 squad through injury having missed out on the 50 Over wold cup (and a winners medal) due to injury. The side would have been much better off with him than with James Vince ffs.
  • 317-5 off 50

Great batting from K L Rahul and Krunal Pandya late on but really poor execution and plans from England - 112 off 9.3 overs without loss
  • 4 hours 10 mins.