Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Brainless batting from a number of them. The run rate wasnt that high we just had to build a partnership and take it deep. Put some pressure back on the indian bowlers.
  • Doesn't Sam Curran trust his brother because you can't win the game after 38 overs but you can lose it. Having said that, most of our batsmen can be accused of poor decision making.
  • 241-9

Rashid 0 off 5
  • Have the Curran's batted together for England before?
    Not for a long time that's for certain!
  • T Curran out

251 All Out

India win by 66 runs
  • edited March 2021
    135-0 off 14.1
    116-10 off 28.0
  • India had 4 or more batters come to the party, one of whom is a debutant
    England had 2
    One of India's bowlers went for more than 7 rpo
    3 of England's bowlers went for more than 7
    the gulf in quality of execution is vast

• It's a good job I'm not a betting man anymore. 
    When Bairstow and Roy were on top it seemed we would cruise it.
    Shocking batting by a few senior players who should know better. 
  • It's a good job I'm not a betting man anymore. 
    When Bairstow and Roy were on top it seemed we would cruise it.
    Shocking batting by a few senior players who should know better. 
    England were 1.11 at that point (1/9). How do I know? I backed them at 3.15 and was tracking the price - but didn't bother to lay it off!!!
  • edited March 2021
    Tom Curran has quite an unlikeable arrogance.
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw the interview with Morgan afterwards. He was asked if he would be changing their tactics or thought processes going forward. He again said that this was how they play. He'd rather lose by a large margin going for it than by going deep & losing by a few runs. So......no plan B then.
  • I saw the interview with Morgan afterwards. He was asked if he would be changing their tactics or thought processes going forward. He again said that this was how they play. He'd rather lose by a large margin going for it than by going deep & losing by a few runs. So......no plan B then.
    He's not going to publicly admit that they got it wrong but he also knows that had Root been there they would probably have won. We only needed 183 off 36 overs when he would have been coming in - that's little more than 4 singles per over and one boundary every 4 overs from that inevitable bad ball during that period. 
    He's not going to publicly admit that they got it wrong but he also knows that had Root been there they would probably have won. We only needed 183 off 36 overs when he would have been coming in - that's little more than 4 singles per over and one boundary every 4 overs from that inevitable bad ball during that period. 
    Agreed about if Root had been playing. Injuries to Sam and Morgan didn't help.

I also think ENG have been touring too long, especially in the current climate. I know players have come and gone for the different formats. But in some ways that has had a negative effect as well as the obvious need and reasons to change the squad(s)

I also think ENG have been touring too long, especially in the current climate. I know players have come and gone for the different formats. But in some ways that has had a negative effect as well as the obvious need and reasons to change the squad(s)
    It can't be easy but, given where we were in the game, it's really not one we should have lost, The Morgan "it's the way we play" will take you a long way but if we could adapt it to the situation then we would lose less i.e. if we were batting first yesterday then yes we might have felt that 350 would be needed but, in the situation we were in at 135-1, there was absolutely no need to carry on regardless.

I mentioned that Root would have got us home and we only need to look at Stokes to understand the difference in them batting at 3. Stokes was dot, dot, dot, dot, dot, dot, dot, dot, one and dot before he then tried to drive one on the up and was caught at short cover. He was neither playing as Morgan suggests they should or rotating as Root would undoubtedly have done.
  • I suspected we might be in trouble when Stokes defended or left his first 4 balls. Mindset completely wrong
  • that bowling attack for the first one dayer was WEAK

And it's impossible for players to come and go and just pick up were they left off. International cricket isn't like that

Billings for example last played T20s in the Big Bash in January (where he also kept wicket so wasn't just a pure batsman). 2 months later, with no practice games, he's expected to play as a batsman in an ODI in India

• Agreed about if Root had been playing. Injuries to Sam and Morgan didn't help.

And it's impossible for players to come and go and just pick up were they left off. International cricket isn't like that

Billings for example last played T20s in the Big Bash in January (where he also kept wicket so wasn't just a pure batsman). 2 months later, with no practice games, he's expected to play as a batsman in an ODI in India
    Agreed
  • Morgan is out of the remaining two games and Billings misses today's match. Livingstone will definitely play and Malan has been drafted into the squad and is available for selection.
  • England win the toss and Buttler elects to bowl

Livingstone, Malan and Topley (for Wood) are in. Pant is in for Shreyas Iyer for India/
  • Sponsored links:

• Is this every toss in the test the winner bats and every toss is the short format the winner bowls ? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Is this every toss in the test the winner bats and every toss is the short format the winner bowls ? 
    I believe so - in Tests they bat first because of the potential of the pitch to deteriorate for the spinners and in white ball it's the knowledge from the first innings what to chase, what the pitch is doing and the possible element of dew in day/night games
  • MrOneLung said:
    Is this every toss in the test the winner bats and every toss is the short format the winner bowls ? 
    I believe so - in Tests they bat first because of the potential of the pitch to deteriorate for the spinners and in white ball it's the knowledge from the first innings what to chase, what the pitch is doing and the possible element of dew in day/night games
    Didn't Kohli say he would have batted first today if he had one the toss?
  • MrOneLung said:
    I missed that but there are two elements to that - one because Kohli doesn't want to concede that losing the toss gives England an advantage and two that they might just prefer to defend in the way that they did in the first ODI especially if there isn't likely to be much in the track. 
  • Tom Curran is really due a match winning performance and there has to be major question marks about his position in the England white ball squads.

His last 10 ODIs (including this current one) have produced 1-383 off 73 overs. His last 10 T20s have resulted in off 5-301 off 31 overs
  • Buttler has just dropped Kohli off Rashid. Closed his hands about 5 minutes before the ball arrived!
  • edited March 2021
    Buttler has just dropped Kohli off Rashid. Closed his hands about 5 minutes before the ball arrived!
    his keeping has improved but at the absolutely highest level it isn't good enough. I guess i'd still have him as white ball keeper simply because hes so good with the bat and frees up another batting position
  • Tom Curran is really due a match winning performance and there has to be major question marks about his position in the England white ball squads.

His last 10 ODIs (including this current one) have produced 1-383 off 73 overs. His last 10 T20s have resulted in off 5-301 off 31 overs
    Absolutely agree. He hasnt actually played that much cricket in the last couple of years. I think he needs to play some championship cricket and bowl time and overs to find his best form - like when he took 70+ wickets in a championship season for us. 

He does bowl the toughest overs in One day cricket but he hasnt been good enough. For me there is an opportunity for Topley to take that spot in the squad (the back up death bowlers spot). They are quite similar bowlers, similar pace, like bowling at the death, has good variations. Topley has the bonus of being left arm and slightly taller.
  • Buttler has just dropped Kohli off Rashid. Closed his hands about 5 minutes before the ball arrived!
    his keeping has improved but at the absolutely highest level it isn't good enough. I guess i'd still have him as white ball keeper simply because hes so good with the bat and frees up another batting position
    On the other hand with Bairstow and Billings often both in the side, that's 2 people who could take the gloves without changing the batting

Billings is definitely the best keeper of the 3, it seems weird that he never keeps for England
  • MrOneLung said:
    I missed that but there are two elements to that - one because Kohli doesn't want to concede that losing the toss gives England an advantage and two that they might just prefer to defend in the way that they did in the first ODI especially if there isn't likely to be much in the track. 
    Yes I definitely thought the first and probably the second