Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• Sage said:
    Anyone who blames Bowyer for Maddison leaving and not being successful whilst here is fully entitled to your own opinion. However, it’s incredibly difficult to form any kind of opinion when you just don’t understand what has happened behind the scenes.

If and when the story comes out, everyone who has sided with Maddison will wonder what was going through their mind to question the decisions Bowyer makes.

I am not in a position to put a public forum the situation. But what I will say is Maddison does not want to be here anymore and is not committed to the cause. When that is the case, it’s best to get rid. No matter how talented that individual may be with a football at their feet.

I am with Bowyer 100% and all I can say is, good riddance. 
    As it's a loan we must still be paying part of his salary. 
  • Morris was mustard for Scunthorpe.. always scored worldies, not sure now though. If he can get that form back then it's a good signing and could work well with the strikers like he did with that Van Veen I think it was them years ago. 

I still reckon the Kirk deal will go through. 
  • Again, would be helpful to have the retrospective Williams comments on the Williams thread.

I take it as positive the Williams and Maddison announcements. Signals the green light to me that we’ve agreed the in’s we want.

perhaps I’m trying to look at this too positively?
    That's the way I am looking at it too mate.  Glass half full and all that....

If nothing else we have saved a few bob on wages but I'd like to think there may be something bubbling along

Imagine if Randall and Kirk came in..the window would be a success and the future would look a lot brighter.  Even if only one of them were to come in actually.

The next couple of hours will be crucial
  • Ferryman said:
    Sage said:
    Anyone who blames Bowyer for Maddison leaving and not being successful whilst here is fully entitled to your own opinion. However, it’s incredibly difficult to form any kind of opinion when you just don’t understand what has happened behind the scenes.

If and when the story comes out, everyone who has sided with Maddison will wonder what was going through their mind to question the decisions Bowyer makes.

I am not in a position to put a public forum the situation. But what I will say is Maddison does not want to be here anymore and is not committed to the cause. When that is the case, it’s best to get rid. No matter how talented that individual may be with a football at their feet.

Unfortunately, looks as though a permanent was not able to be agreed.
  • jakecafc said:
    Morris was mustard for Scunthorpe.. always scored worldies, not sure now though. If he can get that form back then it's a good signing and could work well with the strikers like he did with that Van Veen I think it was them years ago. 

That based on anything at all or just hope? 
  • Looking forward to the 3-0-0 formation of Pratley, Watson and Pearce once Bowyer sells off everyone he's fallen out with.  
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Didn't Josh Morris absolutely terrorise us for Scunthorpe a couple of seasons ago? Scored a pair of screamers up there 
    Yeah scored two screamers
    https://youtu.be/s5j-y3o_KxE

And here they are. 
    Oof hardly terrorised us, that game was all us, but what a pair of goals. 

• I think counting Lapslie, Wiredu and Davison in this is a little bit disingenuous. They haven't featured this season and don't need to be replaced.
    I think it's also hardly worth counting Doughty, he was injured, hadn't played for months and wasn't likely to feature much, if at all, before his contract ran out.

Our Williams replacement is Millar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Williams, Smyth, Bogle and Maddison contributed 6 goals in 60 combined appearances (inc sub appearances) this season. I don’t know number of assists.

Schwartz, Millar, Smith and Stockley have joined in this window. 

Does it really constitute a bad window?
    We will only really be able to tell at the end of the season. We had a dire transfer window this time last year and it cost us. Let’s hope it doesn’t this time.
  • edited February 2021
    It’s all very well people saying ‘yeah but Millar and Stockley have come in this window’ but they’re only here for another twenty one games. Doesn’t seem anything to cheer about with such short term thinking. We need to start assembling a team to last us. Maybe we’ll start in the summer.
  • Ferryman said:
    Sage said:

Tells you how badly we wanted the bloke out of the club
  • jakecafc said:
    Morris was mustard for Scunthorpe.. always scored worldies, not sure now though. If he can get that form back then it's a good signing and could work well with the strikers like he did with that Van Veen I think it was them years ago. 

Wishful thinking. Hope you’re right though 
  • edited February 2021

Cod be relevant....

COD-CLARKE ARMY!

Chris Conn-Clarke has joined Fleetwood Town from Burnley. The 19-year-old had been training with the Cod Army and has now made a permanent move to Highbury.

• It’s all very well people saying ‘yeah but Millar and Stockley have come in this window’ but they’re only here for another twenty one games. Doesn’t seem anything to cheer about with such short term thinking. We need to start assembling a team to last us. Maybe we’ll start in the summer.
    Difficult to assemble a long term team now though. If we went all out now and built the team of Gallen and Bowyers dreams, then don’t get promoted, we’re absolutely screwed with wage cap next season. 

I can see why they have gone for more loans at this stage. 
  • It’s all very well people saying ‘yeah but Millar and Stockley have come in this window’ but they’re only here for another twenty one games. Doesn’t seem anything to cheer about with such short term thinking. We need to start assembling a team to last us. Maybe we’ll start in the summer.
    The players they're replacing were out of contract at the end of the season. Yes it's not ideal to have loans coming in but it's not like we're offloading players that were on 2-3 year deals and replacing with six month loans.
  • edited February 2021
    IN: Schwartz, Stockley, Millar, Smith

OUT: Levitt, Doughty, Smyth, Bogle, Williams, Maddison

Levitt -> Smith
    Bogle -> Stockley
    Doughty -> Millar
    Smyth -> Schwartz
    Maddison -> ?
    Williams -> ?
    IN: Schwartz, Stockley(L), Millar(L), Smith (L), Morris?

OUT: Levitt(L), Doughty, Smyth(L), Bogle, Williams, Maddison

Levitt -> Smith
    Bogle -> Stockley
    Doughty -> Millar
    Smyth -> Schwartz
    Maddison -> Morris?
    Williams -> ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    se9addick said:
    Sage, as someone who wanted Maddison at Cafc years ago your insider information wasn't needed on this occasions.

It was so patently obvious that MM and Bowyer wasn't going to work within a couple of weeks.; at 27 a very useful lower division player had lost his way totally.

Marcus Maddison was going to either be a great signing or a complete disaster. I was hoping for the former.

Sadly it was the latter.
    Was he even give an opportunity for it to be either?

Losing Williams and Maddison on the same day seems...odd. 
    To quote Oscar Wilde from, 'The Importance of Being Earnest ' , "To lose one winger is unfortunate,  two lose two is careless".
    I don’t think we can call either player a winger.  Not in the traditional sense of the word. Both play in different positions across the midfield.
  • Rylo said:
    Still not in the Bowyer out camp, but I do wonder whether or not his stubbornness and seemingly single mindedness around how he wants players to play with an “all or nothing” attitude has actually gone against us here. 

I’m all for a committed squad of players that get stuck in, but you also need some quality. 

Sadly, I feel that we’re losing more than we’re gaining, and that another manager maybe would’ve handled things differently. 

Despite that, I’m still fully behind the team and management. Let’s hope I have some humble pie to tuck into come the end of the season..!
    Or maybe we’ve looked at the heavy schedule ahead, the standard of pitches impacting play, the formation style of play being adopted mainly this year in L1 and realised we need to adjust our approach to be success over the coming months? 

Who knows 
    Possibly, although it’s not stopped opposing teams from playing some good football from what I’ve seen this season. We also managed it when SCP took us up from league one last time.

If we’re planning ahead then hopefully we are getting the players that we don’t want for next season off of the wage bill, and all being well, finding a system that might just get us up this year...
  • Age and desire is key. I said it before. Lincoln last season had an average age squad of 31. This season 22. Their manager saw what was needed to compete in League one to beat the old cloggers with ego's. We've had too many players who are too slow and waste time with tippy tappy paces and back to Amos. We need young fit players with a career to carve out. Millar is just what we need to be signing on contracts, not loans. Lincoln managed to get the deals done at well under the salary cap. 

Maybe we need to regroup in the summer and have a CP style clear out. 
  • Just feeling numb now or maybee I'm missing the bigger picture??
  • We will obey..... we will obey....... 
  • Croydon said:
    Have to get some players in, and good ones at that. We need wingers and creativity. We don't need more CMs 
    We don't need wingers (Millar will play most of the rest of the season as 10) we need a 10, as good/better/cheaper/younger/fitter than Williams else letting him go was stupid. 
    Difficult to assemble a long term team now though. If we went all out now and built the team of Gallen and Bowyers dreams, then don’t get promoted, we’re absolutely screwed with wage cap next season. 

I can see why they have gone for more loans at this stage. 
    Well with what we have when we don't get promoted, we will be absolutely screwed with the wage cap next season. 

We really needed a proper full time signing alongside Schwartz. We've unloaded wantaways, but not brought in any wanttostays.

I can't imagine Schwartz will want to stay come the end of the season if we're not promoted (Not that I've seen anything to say he's better than L1 yet)
    You can’t really rebuild a team in January unfortunately. Bogle, Maddison and Williams also wouldn’t have been here in the summer either. We’ve at least swapped them for players we’re planning on putting in every week. Hopefully with a full run up in summer we can have a proper rebuild. And hopefully we won’t have a cap to deal with 
    Agree that you cannot build a team in January but you can most definitely weaken one.