Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• If the snake can make the step up, why can’t pigott?
  • If the snake can make the step up, why can’t pigott?
    Yup and if he has to come through us for a couple of seasons to do it then even better (not saying this January)
  • We won’t be spending money on a marquee signing unfortunately. It will be free transfers and loans. Ronnie Schwartz will take up almost all of the transfer money available. 

Any deals for Pigott or *insert good League One player name here* will only exist in Football Manager and FIFA. I’d temper expectations to avoid disappointment.
    Transfer fees aren't the problem, it's the salary cap

We're in better financial shape now than virtually every other L1 club, but can't pay the wages that big signings would expect
    I’m referring to the salary cap, not transfer fees. Hence Ronnie Schwartz taking up the rest of whatever little salary money we have left. 

If we can get players off the wage bill then we may be able to sign another senior player, but there won’t be any £1m+ transfer fee’s involved. 
    How are we going to sign a free transfer then? Surely if Schwartz is taking up the rest of the budget, it can only be an U21 signing surely?
  • Are we sure Piggie would come back? On quest yesterday they mentioned he felt poorly treated by us when he left. Anyone know if there’s any truth to that?

• WHAddick said:
    Are we sure Piggie would come back? On quest yesterday they mentioned he felt poorly treated by us when he left. Anyone know if there’s any truth to that?

There was an article where he said the way he was treated left a bit of a bitter taste but he still loves the club. So yes I think he would come back. He didn't celebrate his goal so yes I think he would come back. 
  • WHAddick said:
    Are we sure Piggie would come back? On quest yesterday they mentioned he felt poorly treated by us when he left. Anyone know if there’s any truth to that?

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/dons-striker-joe-pigott-charlton-treated-me-really-poorly-in-terms-of-my-release/
  • We won’t be spending money on a marquee signing unfortunately. It will be free transfers and loans. Ronnie Schwartz will take up almost all of the transfer money available. 

Any deals for Pigott or *insert good League One player name here* will only exist in Football Manager and FIFA. I’d temper expectations to avoid disappointment.

We're in better financial shape now than virtually every other L1 club, but can't pay the wages that big signings would expect
    I’m referring to the salary cap, not transfer fees. Hence Ronnie Schwartz taking up the rest of whatever little salary money we have left. 

If we can get players off the wage bill then we may be able to sign another senior player, but there won’t be any £1m+ transfer fee’s involved. 
    How are we going to sign a free transfer then? Surely if Schwartz is taking up the rest of the budget, it can only be an U21 signing surely?
    If we get rid of a current senior player, we can replace them with a new senior player. 
  • I reckon JP might go on a free in the summer to Luton, judging by that article.
  • Why would Wimbledon want to sell him.  Unless they are in dire financial condition, they aren’t going to sell their best striker.  Could we pay well above market value to convince them - yes but you are only going to do that if you think he will be a high level player in the Championship.  Pigott has been fantastic for the last 15 fixtures but before that has been proven as decent but not high level striker.  Are we going to take the risk of paying a 7 figure sum on a striker in their late 20s who has had a good short run of form? Seems awfully risky for me
    Think you'll find that Shwartz is in his 30s and would be 7 figures
  • WHAddick said:

How many people from when he was here last are still at the club? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2020
    Jokes aside, if we are serious and can afford it, I would take Ben Whiteman, Joe Pigott, Ronan Curtis, Lewis Montsma & Scott Fraser. Just a few names in this league that would improve us 
    All great options if there wasnt a Salary Cap

Would consider Whiteman and Montsma as options if we went up though
    Whiteman will definitely be a championship player, whether that's this season or next. Montsma ticks all the boxes for a centre back that can make the step up, the other 3 speak for themselves

I have to say with Pigott it's not because of his record or the fact I love a comeback story, he genuinely had a real swagger about him, he really reminded me of Lyle in the way he conducted himself, walked around in a real 'I can score at any time' way and his goal and movements proved that.

Would rather Joe than Schwartz if the rumours are true, feel like he's a much better fit for us now and probably long term 
  • edited December 2020
    995632 said:
    Why would Wimbledon want to sell him.  Unless they are in dire financial condition, they aren’t going to sell their best striker.  Could we pay well above market value to convince them - yes but you are only going to do that if you think he will be a high level player in the Championship.  Pigott has been fantastic for the last 15 fixtures but before that has been proven as decent but not high level striker.  Are we going to take the risk of paying a 7 figure sum on a striker in their late 20s who has had a good short run of form? Seems awfully risky for me
    I thought we agreed to pay around £300k for Schwartz in the summer, no chance he’ll cost £1m+.
  • 995632 said:
    Why would Wimbledon want to sell him.  Unless they are in dire financial condition, they aren’t going to sell their best striker.  Could we pay well above market value to convince them - yes but you are only going to do that if you think he will be a high level player in the Championship.  Pigott has been fantastic for the last 15 fixtures but before that has been proven as decent but not high level striker.  Are we going to take the risk of paying a 7 figure sum on a striker in their late 20s who has had a good short run of form? Seems awfully risky for me
    No chance he’s going to be 1mil+. 

If we get rid of a current senior player, we can replace them with a new senior player. 
    So surely then it doesn’t have to be a free transfer and we could pay a fee? 
  • Still strange what happened with Schwartz. He was only signed by them last January and was the top scorer in the league. Yet within a few months he's gone from that to not even getting off the bench.
  • edited December 2020
    We won’t be spending money on a marquee signing unfortunately. It will be free transfers and loans. Ronnie Schwartz will take up almost all of the transfer money available. 

Yup, the transfer fees are the least of our worries really. It's all about finding better players on comparable wages to current players. Say someone like Purrington is on 3k a week, you need to find a better left back that's also on 3k a week and willing to come to you, and a willing bidder for Purrington. If Sandgaard is willing to pay £2m for that player that's neither here nor there.
  • sam3110 said:
    We won’t be spending money on a marquee signing unfortunately. It will be free transfers and loans. Ronnie Schwartz will take up almost all of the transfer money available. 

Yup, the transfer fees are the least of our worries really. It's all about finding better players on comparable wages to current players. Say someone like Purrington is on 3k a week, you need to find a better left back that's also on 3k a week and willing to come to you, and a willing bidder for Purrington. If Sandgaard is willing to pay £2m for that player that's neither here nor there.
    Ah definitely. The other way round it really is to spend decent money on a promising 20/21 year old that doesn’t count towards the cap. Easier said than done but I’m sure there’s a few playing regularly in League 2 or a lower League 1 side. MK had one actually that Sorinola who I thought was impressive. 
  • Suddenly Schwartz goes from 2/300k to £1m, with less time remaining on his contract? His lack of games concerns me. We will end up with another rusty forward, getting fit in the first team.

Not exactly, as the wages would have to be like for like. You can’t shift someone who’s on 3k and offer Joe Pigott 6k a week. Not including Schwartz, we’re almost at capacity with the wage cap. 

That’s why we’re not going to be making any high profile signings bar Schwartz.

That’s not to say we can’t pay a transfer fee on a young lower league player (Sorba Thomas), but there’s no chance of Pigott or Whiteman
  • JFC wasn’t the first player that spring to mind in terms of outgoing players for me, I would have put Deji before him, I’m not sure he’s what we need to get out of this division, apologies for labouring a point, but it seems like we signed him ‘on a recommendation from Lyle, that’s not worked out.
    The conditions of JFC's contract triggered an extension. I wonder if we would have kept him despite the wage cap if that wasn't in place?
  • Sponsored links:

• Montsma at Lincoln is a very decent shout. He’s been great for them this year since signing.

But I make @scoham right that any defensive signings are unlikely. One out one in likely to be the policy I reckon.
    Montsma only signed a 3 year deal in July. 
  • I know he has scored against us today but I would love Piggot back, he has been so good this season, come on TS bring back #feedthepig back to The Valley in January
    Would be good for this season but can he do it in the Championship?
  • Second top scorer in the league and was a handful today while also scoring a superb goal. He’d be an upgrade on Bogle there’s no doubt about that. I wouldn’t think he’d cost much in fees or wages either.

Don's mate says he's refusing to sign new deal with them, and £200k would probably get him.
  • Ferryman said:
    Montsma at Lincoln is a very decent shout. He’s been great for them this year since signing.

But I make @scoham right that any defensive signings are unlikely. One out one in likely to be the policy I reckon.
    I'm not expecting Montsma, but I recall Clive Allen signing for Arsenal and then signing for Palace within the space of a few weeks/months.
  • MattF said:
    WHAddick said:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/dons-striker-joe-pigott-charlton-treated-me-really-poorly-in-terms-of-my-release/
    He didn't celebrate his goal.
  • Ferryman said:
    Montsma at Lincoln is a very decent shout. He’s been great for them this year since signing.

I'm not expecting Montsma, but I recall Clive Allen signing for Arsenal and then signing for Palace within the space of a few weeks/months.
    It happens. They'd want top dollar from a promotion rival with a new owner.
  • Ferryman said:
    MattF said:
    WHAddick said:

He didn't celebrate his goal.
    Nope and from the highlights it looked like he made an effort not to celebrate his goal as well
  • Ferryman said:
    I know he has scored against us today but I would love Piggot back, he has been so good this season, come on TS bring back #feedthepig back to The Valley in January
    Would be good for this season but can he do it in the Championship?
    TS said something along the lines that he simplifies things and it complicates things to look to far ahead and mentioned trying to buy players for league one that would also play in the Championship as being an example.
  • Can't tell if this one is serious or another one of those bullshit rumours accounts