Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Having seen the Sky highlights, still not sure why Wigan were claiming a pen. 
  • Options
    Having seen the Sky highlights, still not sure why Wigan were claiming a pen. 
    Didn’t touch him. All Watson did was put him off before shooting. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Aneke was outstanding and such a great sight to see him starting and getting through an hour without trouble. He could be a big player for us this season, keep him fit and that’s an asset.

Smyth was hard working, done very well overall and am happy with that debut. He got tired second half but was a pleasing performance, nice option to have.

Forster-Caskey was excellent. Got into some good positions, hit the bar with a free kick and scored another. Said a few weeks back that he’s much better than being someone who sits, he’s so much more effective in the final third of the pitch. The statement got laughed at by a few, but please return back inside your box, because Forster-Caskey proved you wrong today. Got to be happy with that.

Basically a new defence and it was relatively solid. Wigan had a few good chances, but that was always going to happen. Once communication and understanding and fitness improves, that’s a good base and foundation, it’s another clean sheet.

Players like Williams, Maddison, Washington, Gilbey, Bogle etc all to add in once fit or rotated, so that’s great options to have.

Very happy coming away with a win today as we have a long trip up to Blackpool on Tuesday night. Well done all.
    After the first 20 minutes, and before the last 25 after he scored his goal - how do you think he contributed, and what did you think he did particularly well? 
    Wow that’s mad, you’re taking out 45 minutes from the game?

But okay well overall, he got into some clever positions, his passing at times was excellent, forward and progressive, his close control was good, and there was one specific time he broke into the box and pulled it back in second half for us to nearly add a second.

When he sits at the base of midfield, he is wasted and is slow and gets caught out. When given the freedom to push forward, he makes things happen, and yes I would’ve said the same had he not scored the free kick. His performance today was very good and encouraging.

My point was when I said he’s better in the final third or pushed higher up than he is sitting and defensive, it got laughed it, he proved today he has it in his locker, so maybe those who laughed and disagreed, can hopefully take a step back and see what he does add.
    The reason I ask that is because myself, and I am sure many other posters on here, respect and enjoy reading your opinion on the technical side of football. 

Just surprised that, from what overall was a scrappy game anyway, that you've come out that conbatative over what I think was 45 minutes of good football from JFC. Inbetween those periods of good play from him - he lost the ball a couple of times in dangerous positions, and in my opinion, didn't really link up well with Watson or the others in the middle of the park. 

I do think you're right though, he looks much more comfortable being proactive and going forwards. Which is why maybe he played well that time he was a wing back and had licence to get up the pitch. 

Everyone ultimately will see the game differently, it's what makes it interesting. I do feel he had a really good game, it was a scrappy affair, and wasn't the most free flowing football, but whenever he got the ball I feel he tried to be positive. He got forward well, played it quicker in the final third, and linked up well with Aneke at times too. To be fair, most of the team did because he was outstanding for 60 minutes. But I thought Forster-Caskey was very good today, far far better than he has been for a long time and it has to be factored in that it's because he wasn't sitting and ponderous in midfield, he got forward and was positive, it was encouraging to see.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Scoham said:
    That graph sums the game up well. So we were well on top up to when JFC scored (and Aneke went off), then sat back, creating very little in the last 20 minutes.

It also shows that JFC was our main goal threat, 3 free kicks plus the cute flick in the first half. Chuks was a beast, but didn't really have any chances himself
    You’ve forgotten the flick and spin in the box and the block by their keeper. Thought Aneke was superb today, easily MoM. 
    Innis won everything in the air, Shinnie tidy and progressive, Smyth very busy. 
    We were too negative after Chuks went off, although Wigan threw everything at us. Watson (I hope) will improve, but Pratley and him were a bit too similar. 
    I think Maddison will make a huge difference when he’s up and running. 
    Really important three points that. 
  • Options
    One word: Chuks Aneke
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Aneke was outstanding and such a great sight to see him starting and getting through an hour without trouble. He could be a big player for us this season, keep him fit and that’s an asset.

Smyth was hard working, done very well overall and am happy with that debut. He got tired second half but was a pleasing performance, nice option to have.

Forster-Caskey was excellent. Got into some good positions, hit the bar with a free kick and scored another. Said a few weeks back that he’s much better than being someone who sits, he’s so much more effective in the final third of the pitch. The statement got laughed at by a few, but please return back inside your box, because Forster-Caskey proved you wrong today. Got to be happy with that.

Basically a new defence and it was relatively solid. Wigan had a few good chances, but that was always going to happen. Once communication and understanding and fitness improves, that’s a good base and foundation, it’s another clean sheet.

Players like Williams, Maddison, Washington, Gilbey, Bogle etc all to add in once fit or rotated, so that’s great options to have.

Very happy coming away with a win today as we have a long trip up to Blackpool on Tuesday night. Well done all.
    After the first 20 minutes, and before the last 25 after he scored his goal - how do you think he contributed, and what did you think he did particularly well? 
    Wow that’s mad, you’re taking out 45 minutes from the game?

But okay well overall, he got into some clever positions, his passing at times was excellent, forward and progressive, his close control was good, and there was one specific time he broke into the box and pulled it back in second half for us to nearly add a second.

When he sits at the base of midfield, he is wasted and is slow and gets caught out. When given the freedom to push forward, he makes things happen, and yes I would’ve said the same had he not scored the free kick. His performance today was very good and encouraging.

My point was when I said he’s better in the final third or pushed higher up than he is sitting and defensive, it got laughed it, he proved today he has it in his locker, so maybe those who laughed and disagreed, can hopefully take a step back and see what he does add.
    The reason I ask that is because myself, and I am sure many other posters on here, respect and enjoy reading your opinion on the technical side of football. 

Just surprised that, from what overall was a scrappy game anyway, that you've come out that conbatative over what I think was 45 minutes of good football from JFC. Inbetween those periods of good play from him - he lost the ball a couple of times in dangerous positions, and in my opinion, didn't really link up well with Watson or the others in the middle of the park. 

I do think you're right though, he looks much more comfortable being proactive and going forwards. Which is why maybe he played well that time he was a wing back and had licence to get up the pitch. 

Everyone ultimately will see the game differently, it's what makes it interesting. I do feel he had a really good game, it was a scrappy affair, and wasn't the most free flowing football, but whenever he got the ball I feel he tried to be positive. He got forward well, played it quicker in the final third, and linked up well with Aneke at times too. To be fair, most of the team did because he was outstanding for 60 minutes. But I thought Forster-Caskey was very good today, far far better than he has been for a long time and it has to be factored in that it's because he wasn't sitting and ponderous in midfield, he got forward and was positive, it was encouraging to see.
    Indeed and it's why I enjoy reading your posts as you always back it up with what you think players did correctly, or badly. We have differing views sometimes, on Williams for example, but that does not mean I do not respect reading you opinion even I do not agree with it. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    No mention of Smyth's massive throw-in

How strange is that for a lad who's only 5'7
    5’ 4 in fact...
  • Options
    We will improve but maybe just about deserved the win, definitely rode our luck at times. Odd statistic, Wigan never made a sub. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good win. Positives to take forward. Scrappy yes but expected due to lots of new starters. Hopefully once Maddison , Gilbey, Pearce all fit we can really go on a run. Chucks and Bogle will be interesting up front and lose a of of problems for defenders. Now onto Blackpool for 3 points.
  • Options
    What is the news on Gilbey?
  • Options
    Wasn’t the greatest of performances but it was just what was needed. Ben Watson will end up being our most booked player in history, at this rate. Every match so far, I think. Thought Smyth and Anelka showed promise. We lacked width, didn’t really have any dangerous crosses into the box and From that perspective I’m looking to seeing Maddison up and running. Early days but there’s more to come once Bow has had the chance to work on a few things in training. Onwards and Upwards, Carruthers  
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Good win. Positives to take forward. Scrappy yes but expected due to lots of new starters. Hopefully once Maddison , Gilbey, Pearce all fit we can really go on a run. Chucks and Bogle will be interesting up front and lose a of of problems for defenders. Now onto Blackpool for 3 points.
    Even within the starting eleven we have plenty of options to change things around. Having the luxury to move Doughty up the field gives us an option which will worry teams.

Hoping by November time we will look at our best.

• Options
    Good 3 points. Fair to  say that that's the sort of game we would have dropped points in last season.

Sounds like the midfield struggled still (JFC Pratley Watson a bit 1 dimensional) but once Bowyer gets the right combination... Better performances ahead.
  • Options
    Big Ryan, woah
    Big Ryan, woah
    His surname is Inniss
    He fucking hates Palace
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    That graph sums the game up well. So we were well on top up to when JFC scored (and Aneke went off), then sat back, creating very little in the last 20 minutes.

It also shows that JFC was our main goal threat, 3 free kicks plus the cute flick in the first half. Chuks was a beast, but didn't really have any chances himself
    You’ve forgotten the flick and spin in the box and the block by their keeper. Thought Aneke was superb today, easily MoM. 
    Innis won everything in the air, Shinnie tidy and progressive, Smyth very busy. 
    We were too negative after Chuks went off, although Wigan threw everything at us. Watson (I hope) will improve, but Pratley and him were a bit too similar. 
    I think Maddison will make a huge difference when he’s up and running. 
    Really important three points that. 
    You're right, I did forget that  :D
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Scoham said:
    I do love a graph.

But I have absolutely no idea what that one is saying!
    It’s an illustration of xG that was accumulated by both sides over the course of 90 mins, resulting in 0.99 xG for the Addicks and 0.89 xG for the Latics.

That would appear to suggest that 1-1 was the fairest outcome but thankfully for us we kept them out.

You can also see that our 0.99 xG came from a number of less clear cut chances whereas about half of Wigan’s xG came from one chance around the 80th minute mark.

Finally, the graph indicates that Wigan had nothing going at all between 25 and 70 minutes, as indicated by the flat blue line.
    Oh.

So we won by 0.99 to 0.89. That sounds much more exciting.
    Yay, basketball scoring, shame Wigan couldn’t get four more .03-pointers in the final minute and all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When Bowyer gets his new cards in order and starts to feel able to take more risks, we will be in amongst the play off contenders. 15 games into the season.
  • Options
    Hard working performance which we probably would have lost before the international break  . Watson's form worries me . Aneke was MOM , shame he can't do the full ninety    . 
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see if, after that performance, Aneke starts on Tuesday as he's never started two consecutive games for us as yet. In fact, you have to go back to March 2019 and 66 games (6 starts and 29 sub appearances in that time) played by us and MK Dons to find the last time he did so..
  • Options
    Hard to read too much into that, it was a Charlton team that's been cobbled together and not at full strength or fitness.
    That said there were good signs (a strong CB pairing, Smyth and Aneke up front will be a real handful) and things that definitely need improvement - a midfield that apparently only plays sideways and a question of who is going to get goals.
    But overall a decent if somewhat fortunate showing.

• Options
    Hard working performance which we probably would have lost before the international break  . Watson's form worries me . Aneke was MOM , shame he can't do the full ninety    . 
    What all 200 minutes of it? Still very early days and when he finds his feet he’ll be fine. 
  • Options
    Bowyer’s full post-game press conference is available for Valley Pass subscribers and those that purchased Wigan match passes & bundles.
    https://cafc.co.uk/news/view/5f8b26e7f3d6c/bowyer-on-wigan-win-we-had-to-be-at-it-from-the-first-minute-until-the-last-and-we-were
  • Options
    Agree with many others on here,cannot play two 35 year olds together for 90 minutes,think this will change when others are fit.Maybe Williams should have featured but he has had a fair bit of football and travelling with Wales recently.Major plusses,Aneke,what a difference it makes when someone can win headers and hold the ball up.Defence was sound, we have two dominant centre backs and really won nearly all the aerial battles.JFC best game for a long time,glad he got that goal,a good player in there.Some very good players not involved today,top 6 by New Year.
  • Options
    Anyone still think Aneke cannot play up top on his own?
    The only doubt is whether he can stay fit- his track record is diabolical