Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Fantastic win against a club that shouldn’t be in this division. 
  • Stig said:
    Scrappy at times, but I think we shaded it. Very pleased with the newbies. Looking forward to seeing this team when they've had a chance to gel. Great to see us get a win, it's been a long time.

Of the pitch, that's the second time we've been told that our commentators can't see replays. Wtf? These people are charging £10 a pop to watch this. It's meant to be a professional service, not amateur hour. Get it sorted!  I don't blame the commentators who I believe do a grand job, but it is poor when they are saying one thing and everyone can see the opposite. Give them the tools they need to do the job properly. 
    I had wondered that and figured I'd try to ask Greg and Terry in here - can't VP or Ifollow provide them with a feed of the game? I mean ... £10 and a WiFi signal would do it, right?  That way they'd know when the ad breaks are and be able to see the replays along with us 

@StubleyAddick
    I think there is a bit of a delay so that wouldn't work. 
  • Leuth said:
    Inniss is the new Naby though. Confirmed
    Never took you long to find a new lover.
    🤣🤣
    The bed was still warm. 
  • Stig said:
    Scrappy at times, but I think we shaded it. Very pleased with the newbies. Looking forward to seeing this team when they've had a chance to gel. Great to see us get a win, it's been a long time.

Of the pitch, that's the second time we've been told that our commentators can't see replays. Wtf? These people are charging £10 a pop to watch this. It's meant to be a professional service, not amateur hour. Get it sorted!  I don't blame the commentators who I believe do a grand job, but it is poor when they are saying one thing and everyone can see the opposite. Give them the tools they need to do the job properly. 
    I had wondered that and figured I'd try to ask Greg and Terry in here - can't VP or Ifollow provide them with a feed of the game? I mean ... £10 and a WiFi signal would do it, right?  That way they'd know when the ad breaks are and be able to see the replays along with us 

@StubleyAddick
    Yeah it’s a combination of things. There is a significant delay and the WiFi at the ground/others isn’t the most trustworthy to follow a stream from.

We’ll try on Tuesday and see if it makes a difference. 
  • MattF said:
    Not a single mention about garner, horrible little player who left his foot in a few times and nutted doughty 

Yeah was not impressed with him or the incompetent ref who let him get away with it again and again and again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great result and pleased for JFC, always liked him. 

Just sorry not to be at the ground. Starting to really wear thin the lack of a match day experience. 
  • Aneke has entered the arena - dominated their defenders and some great skill - liked smyth - feisty - didn't like any of the midfield other than shinnie - get doughty, williams, gilby and maddison in there asap - like gunter, the 2 centre backs are big strong and quick and aerially dominant which is good even if the ex palace chap had a bit of a passing mare first 30 - the chelsea lad will be good and allow doughty to move up the pitch - amos did well other than the spill - bogle looks like the type who can play up top on his own - overall team display not brilliant but good enough and i can see the potential in the squad  
  • Ok game. They just need to gel more as new faces and probably get up to match fitness as been a weird season, pre season and with intl breaks. 

Positives
    New defence looked good/potential
    smythe looked lively 
    new striker that got subbed on looked pretty good as well
    pratley will be influential again this season

negatives:
    watson is just a bit behind the pace. Hopefully just fitness but could be age

• Did I miss Wigan having a goal disallowed? If so, I've completely blanked it
  • I thought we did well. Aneke was great. Inniss looks like he could be a fan favourite. Well done JFC too. I don’t want to see Watson and Pratley in same midfield ideally. Really think good times are ahead.
  • it was like strangers out there at times today 

winky face  
  • Just delighted to get the three points. Always going to be tricky with so many new players out there, and so little time to prepare. I'm convinced that things can only get better. But promotion? That might be too much to expect this season but I'm sure the lads will give it a damn good go.

But most of all, after so many lost years, we now have a proper owner who is genuinely passionate about winning football matches. And boy does that feel good!
    Sums my won feelings up perfectly. Talking about the upcoming game with my neighbour last night, and then looking forward to it through the morning, i realised that something was missing; that heavy weight of dread, knowing that even if we would win, there will still be RD. Or, as it turned out, an even worse horror. Today was almost a normal Saturday, if you ignore the weird virus environment. That was worth celebrating regardless of the result.

They sure must be knackered after their efforts this week, Bow, Jacko and Gallen. This win is theirs to savour. And for TS. I reckon he really is a footie guy, so just like all of us, his world feels a little bit better after a win.

It does feel good to be reading about a game and peoples views on the starting 11 and not have that dread of ownership creeping into my thoughts.

Once fans are allowed back, I look forward to complaints about potholes and chips and bogs. Cannot wait

Lots to be positive about after today.

• Chunes said:
    No mention of Smyth's massive throw-in

How strange is that for a lad who's only 5'7
    5’ 4 in fact...
    He seems to be either 5 ft 4 or 5 ft 7 depending on the source. Didn't look as short as 5 ft 4 to me.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/squads/first-team/paul-smyth/
  • Sponsored links:

• As a pessimist/realist in reality .... 
    Im happy where we’re at 
    Watson didn’t have the greatest of games but he was in the right place a few times as we batten down the hatches to just hoof the ball away or slow it all down .
    All been said elsewhere re the game
    To me I can see the first green shoots of recovery and I’m certain we’ll be in and around the play off mix (where we’ll lose if we make it ) 
    reaching the top two without a goal scorer to me will require a miracle and they do happen .

Watched the game on iPad using 3-4G waiting for sons who were doing indoor cricket training 
    Picture decent,  only cut out once  for a minute or so .... yes just as JFC was lining that free kick up 😃

1%   Automatic promotion 
    59%   Play offs 
    40%  7th-12th 
    0%   13th-20th
    0%       Relegation 

I’m not sure 13th-20th is 0%.  This isn’t a squad flush full of goals 
  • PWR - a few pluses. Thought Femwo and Inniss looked solid and Gunter grew into the game. Shinnie did enough to think he could be decent in this league. Thought Smyth had a decent game and Aneke did very well before tiring. Bogle when he came on showed glimpses and considering he’s had no real pre season could be an asset when up to speed. I’m assuming our top scorer Washington was on the bench due to his international exploits. What the feck was midfield about? Those three certainly don’t work together. Can’t play with Pratley and Watson in the same team in my opinion. JFC improved after his goal but was a bit meh for me. Midfield lacked any sort of creativity and dynamism.

Saying that a win is a win and we just about shaded it. Onwards and upwards hopefully.
  • Anyone still think Aneke cannot play up top on his own?
    Has anyone said he can’t? I think he can but I don’t think he’ll score many goals.
  • limeygent said:
    Hate to say anything negative after a win, but was surprised that Watson played so poorly.
    Is it not possible that this was because he was playing against Wigan?

He is after all a Wigan hero.

Psychologically it must have some effect on a player.
  • There might be an obvious answer, but I'd love to know the last League game where a team used none of its subs.

The Wigan bench was occupied almost entirely by kids.

A win is a win, but we have a long way to go.
  • Not going to criticize the team too much as they have not played together before & some are still not match fit.

Going  against the grain but I thought Watson had a decent game - was always in the thick of it & made some important challenges/clearances, esp right at the end. Chuks had a good game as did Smyyyyth. Defence looked sound & both the loanees centre-halves look assured & powerful. In fact Famewo was probably my MOTM 

Criticism however does go to Bowyer. I'm not afraid to call him out (even though a lot have said as much already) that his negative tactics are so bloody frustrating. Wont say anymore for now but once the attacking players are back fit (Gilbey & Maddison) and the players have had a few games to settle I'm hoping that sitting back & trying to defend a 1-0 lead will be a thing of the past.
    Inniss isn’t a loanee.
  • Stig said:

Off the pitch, that's the second time we've been told that our commentators can't see replays. Wtf? These people are charging £10 a pop to watch this. It's meant to be a professional service, not amateur hour. Get it sorted!  I don't blame the commentators who I believe do a grand job, but it is poor when they are saying one thing and everyone can see the opposite. Give them the tools they need to do the job properly. 
    Why can't they just get the match on their smartphone. If I can get it whilst fixing up a wall outside my house in France, I'm sure  that they can do so in the same ground that the game is actually being played in!
  • limeygent said:
    Hate to say anything negative after a win, but was surprised that Watson played so poorly.
    Is it not possible that this was because he was playing against Wigan?

He is after all a Wigan hero.

Psychologically it must have some effect on a player.
      ...no

just wasn't firing on all cylinders 
  • PWR - a few pluses. Thought Femwo and Inniss looked solid and Gunter grew into the game. Shinnie did enough to think he could be decent in this league. Thought Smyth had a decent game and Aneke did very well before tiring. Bogle when he came on showed glimpses and considering he’s had no real pre season could be an asset when up to speed. I’m assuming our top scorer Washington was on the bench due to his international exploits. What the feck was midfield about? Those three certainly don’t work together. Can’t play with Pratley and Watson in the same team in my opinion. JFC improved after his goal but was a bit meh for me. Midfield lacked any sort of creativity and dynamism.

Saying that a win is a win and we just about shaded it. Onwards and upwards hopefully.
    I didn’t think that Chucks Looked tired at all when he was taken off.