Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Several players looked ring rusty. The plus points for me were Aneke, JFC and Doughty who showed no sign of being disappointed that he didn't get the move his agent was hankering for.
    It will take time for the team to gel, and a top six place may prove just a little beyond us realistically. 
  • Get in - 3 points ahead of relegation with better goal difference 
  • Beat a team who were not only a league up last season but should never have gone down. Obviously they've had a lot of churn, but so have we so it's a good result. Sounds like it wasn't a brilliant game but considering we're without two of our most creative players in Gilbey and Maddison and the majority of the players we brought in aren't fit yet that's a really decent result.
  • Will take the 3 points and i'm obviously aware that the team hardly know each other and need time to gel, but it worries me that we aren't going to score enough goals.
  • Can JFC keep Wagstaffing his way into the first XI? I'm torn. Part of me thinks he can do it, but he does turn down blind alleys an awful lot too
  • Sage said:
    Aneke was outstanding and such a great sight to see him starting and getting through an hour without trouble. He could be a big player for us this season, keep him fit and that’s an asset.

Smyth was hard working, done very well overall and am happy with that debut. He got tired second half but was a pleasing performance, nice option to have.

Forster-Caskey was excellent. Got into some good positions, hit the bar with a free kick and scored another. Said a few weeks back that he’s much better than being someone who sits, he’s so much more effective in the final third of the pitch. The statement got laughed at by a few, but please return back inside your box, because Forster-Caskey proved you wrong today. Got to be happy with that.

Basically a new defence and it was relatively solid. Wigan had a few good chances, but that was always going to happen. Once communication and understanding and fitness improves, that’s a good base and foundation, it’s another clean sheet.

Players like Williams, Maddison, Washington, Gilbey, Bogle etc all to add in once fit or rotated, so that’s great options to have.

Very happy coming away with a win today as we have a long trip up to Blackpool on Tuesday night. Well done all.
    After the first 20 minutes, and before the last 25 after he scored his goal - how do you think he contributed, and what did you think he did particularly well? 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm going to go against the flow here.

Smyth is obviously a talented, skilful little player. He had a good first half before fading in the second. But he's not going to be the answer to our lack of goals playing as a forward in this league. He's too slight in build and faced with these man mountain centre halfs that all teams field he will get marked out of the game. Indeed, I doubt he will score more than a handful of goals playing up front for us.

Wide in midfield looks a much more promising position and I'd like to see him get a run of games there. 

• I thought Otabor looked very good for them. Gunter did well to handle him. 
  • Positives - we managed to get 3 points whilst integrating a lot of new players in a match situation for the first time. Hopefully things will only get better as the Squad beds in. I think all the new acquisitions had their good moments particularly Smyth. Chuks looked good while on and Bogle showed there was a player in there too as an alternative with physical presence.

Negatives - Having scored we sat back and, taking the red and white spectacles off, are probably lucky to have won that in all honesty. I think the midfield is definitely too pedestrian with all 3 of Pratley, Watson and Forster - Caskey together and better opposition will punish us. Let's hope Maddison recovers sooner rather than later to replace one of them. If not I'd start with Albie or Levitt. That said we got the 3 points today.

COYR
  • MattF said:
    Not sure on the disallowed goal of theirs

Thought Famewo got turned and then dragged back, didnt look overly different to the Free Kick against Smyth for pretty much the same reason
  • I'm going to go against the flow here.

Smyth is obviously a talented, skilful little player. He had a good first half before fading in the second. But he's not going to be the answer to our lack of goals playing as a forward in this league. He's too slight in build and faced with these man mountain centre halfs that all teams field he will get marked out of the game. Indeed, I doubt he will score more than a handful of goals playing up front for us.

Wide in midfield looks a much more promising position and I'd like to see him get a run of games there. 

Yes, he's a useful member of the squad, but I'd love to see a proper striker alongside Chuks

In terms of our squad, that's probably Washington as Chuks and Bogle seem too similar
  • I thought Otabor looked very good for them. Gunter did well to handle him. 
    Looked a good player. Only on a short term contract until January
  • edited October 2020
    Good win and ok performance, team still gelling and I expect to get better. 

I never want to see Pratley and Watson on the same pitch unless Prats is playing at CB, not sure why Bowyer made the decision to play Prats left of the diamond as he didn’t look comfortable and it looked unbalanced. Much better as a middle three. Gilbey will likely go there when fit but Levitt, William or Albie would have been more dynamic. 

Back to back clean sheets and decent performance by Chuks and the defence. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hope @Viewfinder was watching. I miss his write ups!
    He's already given his player marks, which if I recall were more or less 5.5s all round, even to the defenders
    Of course he was, check out his players marks 😉.
  • Scrappy as you like and we could easily have drawn or lost but a win is a win and will be great for building confidence and bonding all
    yne new teammates together.

Innis and Famewo both looked good. They won’t get bullied by many strikers, both big units. JFC and Aneke our two best players. JFC grew into the game and is many ways starting to get over that long injury layoff. Don’t think we need Pratley and Watson starting together. In particular Pratley’s passing was very poor. Gilbey should improve the midfield when fit. Maddison too. Symth was lively. Bogle did okay as well - like a shorter Aneke. Shinnie tidy, more to come from him. Doughty just isn’t impressing me at the moment but he certainly wasn’t terrible. Gunter, solid but didn’t get forward much and doesn’t look to have the recovery pace of Matthews. Amos made some great saves and looking like the keeper who left us for Millwall. 

Much more to come from this team hopefully, but a step in the right direction. 
  • Ref Watson cast your mind back to Pratters debut and the next few games, hopefully once Watson settles we will get similar performances, however, I’d agree both of them in the same team ???? 
  • For the last few games I have been saying "very little quality or individual skill on display".
    Today was the opposite and I am very encouraged by a decent display in a scrappy game.