Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Post Match Thread

14567810»

Comments

• Hopefully JFC's confidence is returning. An asset at this level if it is. 

We need him attacking as he is creative too something we've lacked since Gallagher left. 
  • edited October 2020
    I had him as my MOTM. He seems to be where he was immediately before his injury as you say. Which has to be good news.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Hopefully JFC's confidence is returning. An asset at this level if it is. 

We need him attacking as he is creative too something we've lacked since Gallagher left. 
    Just to clarify I am not saying their style is similar, but both decent midfielders that work hard, tackle and have an eye for a pass or shot.
  • Chunes said:
    bobmunro said:
    Aneke was my man of the match but I just can’t see him being our main goal threat this season. He holds it up pretty well. Wins a few decent flick ons but his style is lumbering and that’s not meant to be an insult. He’s not got enough explosive qualities needed to get 10 - 12 goals a season never mind 20. Can’t see him partnering Bogle either. I’m sure we tried for another mobile striker but I still feel we won’t score enough goals to get promoted. 

I would tend to agree on the 'lumbering' comment because it always seems to look that way. But on closer inspection you can see Chucks is pretty quick when running with the ball, maybe that's because it would take a brave defender to try to stop him!
    Thing is I really like Chuks. He’s got bags of ability but a number nine he’s not. My feeling is that our defence is key to any success this season. If we can become difficult to beat then we might just grind out enough wins to reach the playoffs. Sandgaard wanted to see 4 - 3 wins not 1 - 0 wins. I’m willing to bet he won’t see many games when we score 4.
    Too early to say for me. We've yet to see the team come together. Yet to see the effect Maddison has on the team and everyone at full fitness and gelled. Yet to see Bogle or Smyth given a run. A lot of unknowns remain. 

When it all comes together our attacking play might look a lot different. And to be fair, compared to the Sunderland game where we didn't register a shot and barely even made it into their final third, it's already made some strides. 
    I agree with that last comment but it’s still worrying that we’ve not scored from open play in nearly five hours. 
  • edited October 2020
    Chunes said:
    bobmunro said:
    Aneke was my man of the match but I just can’t see him being our main goal threat this season. He holds it up pretty well. Wins a few decent flick ons but his style is lumbering and that’s not meant to be an insult. He’s not got enough explosive qualities needed to get 10 - 12 goals a season never mind 20. Can’t see him partnering Bogle either. I’m sure we tried for another mobile striker but I still feel we won’t score enough goals to get promoted. 

I would tend to agree on the 'lumbering' comment because it always seems to look that way. But on closer inspection you can see Chucks is pretty quick when running with the ball, maybe that's because it would take a brave defender to try to stop him!
    Thing is I really like Chuks. He’s got bags of ability but a number nine he’s not. My feeling is that our defence is key to any success this season. If we can become difficult to beat then we might just grind out enough wins to reach the playoffs. Sandgaard wanted to see 4 - 3 wins not 1 - 0 wins. I’m willing to bet he won’t see many games when we score 4.
    Too early to say for me. We've yet to see the team come together. Yet to see the effect Maddison has on the team and everyone at full fitness and gelled. Yet to see Bogle or Smyth given a run. A lot of unknowns remain. 

When it all comes together our attacking play might look a lot different. And to be fair, compared to the Sunderland game where we didn't register a shot and barely even made it into their final third, it's already made some strides. 
    I agree with that last comment but it’s still worrying that we’ve not scored from open play in nearly five hours. 
    It is concerning, but we’ve also not conceded in 3 hours. I believe things will come together at striking end of the pitch once the attacking  players have got used to each other.
  • I had him as my MOTM. He seems to be where he was immediately before his injury as you say. Which has to be good news.
    Like having a new signing as some might say
  • Despite their parlous state and having lost a lot of good players, Wigan gave it a right good go .. this season will be no pushover for whatever teams get promoted .. AND, why does Bowyer still get his teams to go on the defensive after going one up ? .. this only encourages the opposition as it has done for the past two seasons .. a bit of caution ? yes, total surrender of territory ?, NO