Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    A very good 3 points.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    A lot of new faces too. Once they have a few games together and are all match sharp we look a decent side compared to what I've seen if this league so far.

Throw in the likes of Pearce and Maddison and think we'll do alright this term.

Feeling a lot more positive than at the start of the season.

A good foundation to build from.
  • Options
    Anyone still think Aneke cannot play up top on his own?

Why would you want to play Aneke up top on his own in League 1 ?

• Options
    Of the most recent signings thought Inniss was the stand out. Smyth worked very hard, good touch.
    Gunter largely solid. Shinnie the least effective but not bad. Bogle looked a decent replacement for Aneke who was outstanding.
    Watson hasn't really impressed in a game yet, surely there's more to come from him. 
  • Options
    I thought it very odd Wigan made zero substitutions
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A bit laboured.  Too conservative at times but some liberal use of the new players in the right roles and we'll have left the doom and gloom of the last few months behind soon enough.
  • Options
    Hard to make a measured assessment of that with so many new players. Some very good and encouraging signs but we shrank back into our shell with 25 minutes left and Wigan can feel a bit aggrieved they didn’t earn a point. No real link between midfield and front. Need Maddison and Gilbey in and playing PDQ. Bonus performances by Chuks and JFC with decent debuts by Shinnie, Inness, Gunter and particularly Smyth. Bit disappointed with Watson if I’m honest. Looks sluggish and first touch wasn’t great. I’m sure he’ll improve. Biggest problem for me is that none of Bogle, Washington and Aneke are six yard box players unlike Taylor and Bonne. We’ll create chances but will we convert enough ?
  • Options
    I think they were down to the bare bones on the bench tbf.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Looks like something from Picasso's "Blue Period"
  • Options
    A bit laboured.  Too conservative at times but some liberal use of the new players in the right roles and we'll have left the doom and gloom of the last few months behind soon enough.
    Some looked a bit green.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Scoham said:
    I do love a graph.

But I have absolutely no idea what that one is saying!
    Lots of little red steps are better than a few big blue steps.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    MattF said:
    It's always interesting to read the views from the other side. I'm not sure their penalty shouts were as clear as they seem to think and for the "disallowed goal" the ref had already blown and everyone had stopped, hadn't they?

But then I guess everyone thinks the ref is against them in most games. Presumably they thought Watson's booking for his clean tackle was justified?

However, I agree with most of them that a draw was probably the fairer result. But that's football.
    One was a definite penalty for me and if I were them I'd feel aggrieved at losing, particularly as the keeper should have saved it. Don't care mind. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Scoham said:
    I do love a graph.

Believe it shows that we were in general on top for much of the game, especially from just before half time to when we scored.

Once we scored, the graph basically plateau for us and Wigan make a sharp increase, goes with us sitting back and trying to hit on the counter attack when we could.

It’s an interesting one, and shows that we deserved the win today. 
  • Options
    Bowyer got away with going negative because the ref missed a clear penalty. He needs to figure out that this isn't the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Aneke was outstanding and such a great sight to see him starting and getting through an hour without trouble. He could be a big player for us this season, keep him fit and that’s an asset.

Smyth was hard working, done very well overall and am happy with that debut. He got tired second half but was a pleasing performance, nice option to have.

Forster-Caskey was excellent. Got into some good positions, hit the bar with a free kick and scored another. Said a few weeks back that he’s much better than being someone who sits, he’s so much more effective in the final third of the pitch. The statement got laughed at by a few, but please return back inside your box, because Forster-Caskey proved you wrong today. Got to be happy with that.

Basically a new defence and it was relatively solid. Wigan had a few good chances, but that was always going to happen. Once communication and understanding and fitness improves, that’s a good base and foundation, it’s another clean sheet.

Players like Williams, Maddison, Washington, Gilbey, Bogle etc all to add in once fit or rotated, so that’s great options to have.

Very happy coming away with a win today as we have a long trip up to Blackpool on Tuesday night. Well done all.
    After the first 20 minutes, and before the last 25 after he scored his goal - how do you think he contributed, and what did you think he did particularly well? 
    Wow that’s mad, you’re taking out 45 minutes from the game?

But okay well overall, he got into some clever positions, his passing at times was excellent, forward and progressive, his close control was good, and there was one specific time he broke into the box and pulled it back in second half for us to nearly add a second.

When he sits at the base of midfield, he is wasted and is slow and gets caught out. When given the freedom to push forward, he makes things happen, and yes I would’ve said the same had he not scored the free kick. His performance today was very good and encouraging.

My point was when I said he’s better in the final third or pushed higher up than he is sitting and defensive, it got laughed it, he proved today he has it in his locker, so maybe those who laughed and disagreed, can hopefully take a step back and see what he does add.
    The reason I ask that is because myself, and I am sure many other posters on here, respect and enjoy reading your opinion on the technical side of football. 

Just surprised that, from what overall was a scrappy game anyway, that you've come out that conbatative over what I think was 45 minutes of good football from JFC. Inbetween those periods of good play from him - he lost the ball a couple of times in dangerous positions, and in my opinion, didn't really link up well with Watson or the others in the middle of the park. 

I do think you're right though, he looks much more comfortable being proactive and going forwards. Which is why maybe he played well that time he was a wing back and had licence to get up the pitch. 

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Off_it said:
    Scoham said:
    I do love a graph.

It’s an illustration of xG that was accumulated by both sides over the course of 90 mins, resulting in 0.99 xG for the Addicks and 0.89 xG for the Latics.

That would appear to suggest that 1-1 was the fairest outcome but thankfully for us we kept them out.

You can also see that our 0.99 xG came from a number of less clear cut chances whereas about half of Wigan’s xG came from one chance around the 80th minute mark.

Finally, the graph indicates that Wigan had nothing going at all between 25 and 70 minutes, as indicated by the flat blue line.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Let's be honest, Watson was shite today and JFC was good so if they didn't link up well, I might lay that on the player who played shite. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    That graph sums the game up well. So we were well on top up to when JFC scored (and Aneke went off), then sat back, creating very little in the last 20 minutes.

It also shows that JFC was our main goal threat, 3 free kicks plus the cute flick in the first half. Chuks was a beast, but didn't really have any chances himself
  • Options
    Also a great cross/pass that Pratley probably should have done a bit better with.
  • Options
    Brilliant result as in theory we should only go and get better, but obviously a bit concerning that we created basically nothing despite Aneke's performance up front.

I can see Smyth and Aneke linking well together, I just worry a bit if Aneke wants to drop deep and hold up the ball and dribble with it, and Smyth wants to run out wide who is going to be in the box to score goals for us. Hopefully Maddison I guess. Bogle looked promising in his short stint too though so maybe he can be more of a goal scorer than Aneke.

I can see why Palace held onto Innis so long as he is an absolute monster if it clicks for him. Gunter just looks like someone you just won't have to worry about for the most part which is promising too. 
  • Options
    Poor overall, particularly in midfield and as last season we surrendered after 70 minutes.

Watson very unimpressive and Smyth looks like a shorter version of the great Churchinho- great all round forward player with excellent attitude who can't shoot.

Some brief patches of football and Aneke was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch and the Norwich lad did very well too.

It's early days of course and no lack of effort but compared to the team that sneaked into the play-offs two seasons ago that is a much lower standard in every position.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Aneke was outstanding and such a great sight to see him starting and getting through an hour without trouble. He could be a big player for us this season, keep him fit and that’s an asset.

Smyth was hard working, done very well overall and am happy with that debut. He got tired second half but was a pleasing performance, nice option to have.

Forster-Caskey was excellent. Got into some good positions, hit the bar with a free kick and scored another. Said a few weeks back that he’s much better than being someone who sits, he’s so much more effective in the final third of the pitch. The statement got laughed at by a few, but please return back inside your box, because Forster-Caskey proved you wrong today. Got to be happy with that.

Basically a new defence and it was relatively solid. Wigan had a few good chances, but that was always going to happen. Once communication and understanding and fitness improves, that’s a good base and foundation, it’s another clean sheet.

Players like Williams, Maddison, Washington, Gilbey, Bogle etc all to add in once fit or rotated, so that’s great options to have.

Very happy coming away with a win today as we have a long trip up to Blackpool on Tuesday night. Well done all.
    After the first 20 minutes, and before the last 25 after he scored his goal - how do you think he contributed, and what did you think he did particularly well? 
    Wow that’s mad, you’re taking out 45 minutes from the game?

But okay well overall, he got into some clever positions, his passing at times was excellent, forward and progressive, his close control was good, and there was one specific time he broke into the box and pulled it back in second half for us to nearly add a second.

When he sits at the base of midfield, he is wasted and is slow and gets caught out. When given the freedom to push forward, he makes things happen, and yes I would’ve said the same had he not scored the free kick. His performance today was very good and encouraging.

My point was when I said he’s better in the final third or pushed higher up than he is sitting and defensive, it got laughed it, he proved today he has it in his locker, so maybe those who laughed and disagreed, can hopefully take a step back and see what he does add.
    The reason I ask that is because myself, and I am sure many other posters on here, respect and enjoy reading your opinion on the technical side of football. 

Just surprised that, from what overall was a scrappy game anyway, that you've come out that conbatative over what I think was 45 minutes of good football from JFC. Inbetween those periods of good play from him - he lost the ball a couple of times in dangerous positions, and in my opinion, didn't really link up well with Watson or the others in the middle of the park. 

I do think you're right though, he looks much more comfortable being proactive and going forwards. Which is why maybe he played well that time he was a wing back and had licence to get up the pitch. 

Foster-Caskey was MoM  for many. His goal won the game ..he was mostly good. Yet here we ho again,  because people don't  rate a player they have to reinforce their views even when it is clearly wrong. As they were today.  What is up with our supporters.  Must have scape goat?
    What? Literally what are you talking about. 

Look back at my first post in this thread, 'JFC looked great after his goal' and my posts on the match thread about how well he was playing. Indeed look at my post history and I rarely dig out players. 

All I was saying I was suprised how combative (spelt that wrong first time), Sage was - especially in a scrappy match where no one was outstanding - when normally he is quiet reserved and analytical in what he says. 

Confirmation bias is not really something I think I have.