Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Well done boys,good to get that win...before we settle down & gel as a team,nice bonus 3pts that one..but Bows needs to be a little less conservative in his thoughts of defending 1-0 with 20 odd to go...
  • Options
    Good start for the new squad. Will be a battle through to the next transfer window when attacking options hopefully join. But just talking about football still enough for me. 
  • Options
    All we might have hoped for when you think about it.
    Reasonable performance and no one had a poor game, though fair to say Watson needs to shape up a bit.
  • Options
    Take the 3 points and move on. Nearly entire new squad so its going to take time to get them to gel. We have Madison, Gilbey, Pearce to come back in and of course the lad from Chelsea and Levitt!. We played some good stuff at times and also some scrappy football, but we won and have to take that, pocket it and move on. I like Innis (sp), Smyth and Shinnie, we have a decent squad now for the first time in years. I thought Chucks did well and perhaps, once bedded in, with Smyth running off his flick on's  we could have a potent strike force. For me that was a 6.5/10 for their first game together as a squad.
  • Options
    Happy with that. Back to SL and work on movement and getting to know each other before the next one.
  • Options
    That was the best I have seen F-Caskey for a while. Aneke was terrific. We couldn't have complained if that ended as a draw. I hate us sitting so deep if we are only one up and they should have had a pen but we got away with it and hopefully the team will grow from here.
  • Options
    Yeah chuks was great. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A better result than performance. A disappointing lack of fluidity in our play, we looked like a team that is still learning how to play with each other

Inniss started terribly, but settled down and looks a beast in the air. Gunter was solid as you'd expect, Shinnie was reasonable, Smith lively, while Bogle was a bit like Chuks but not as good

Not convinced playing both Pratley and Watson works, as the team lacks class on the ball. Chuks was excellent, a dominant performance up top, while pleased for JFC who was easily our best midfielder today

• Options
    Hate to say anything negative after a win, but was surprised that Watson played so poorly.
  • Options
    All the lads worked hard, personally, I was well impressed with Famewo, will Pearce get back in when fit?
  • Options
    We won.

Happy.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Will take that all day long.
    Disjointed at times but new players need time to bed in of course. Smyth is going to be very important for us this season, and Inniss looks a proper centre half. JFC much better when he moved more to the middle and showed some of the spark we all know he has.
    The legend that is Darren Pratley is now showing that there are a lot of miles on his clock - when he plays it must be at the base of the diamond, not wide.
    I remain positive for the rest of season and think we will go close.

Definitely. We're not going to win many games playing Pratley or Watson together either, although it probably makes us more difficult to beat. 

Pratley has been brilliant for us, particularly last season but he needs to wind down a bit this year. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Looked like a bunch of strangers playing together for the first time, which I suppose it was. A solid win which was much needed. 

Wasn't impressed going so defensively after we scored but we needed the win so fair enough. Not a fan of Pratley and Watson in the same team, however I'm sure Bower has seen that and will change it about. Thought Aneke done really well and will be a real handful for defenders this year. 
  • Options
    Let’s hope Watson was just a bit rusty and needs a few games as from my shitty screen he liked an off the pace clogger at the end of his career.

Smyth and Inniss impressed me of the new boys. Gunter did some good things but you could see second half Wigan a number of times shifted the play to leave him exposed against Solomon-Otabar and he didn’t stop him once. We’ll really need to double up there.

A much appreciated three points in a scrappy game where a draw wouldn’t have seemed unfair. 
    As I mentioned in the match thread wonder if he would have benifited with someone more mobile and comfortable on the ball closer to him in midfield. 

Pratley for me, is one of the best players I've seen at reading a game, breaking up play by being in the right place and making great stand up challenges.

But on the ball, his passing, is soooo bad sometimes it often puts us in more trouble. 
  • Options
    Good result at this stage of the season 
  • Options
    3 points. Move on and keep winning. Simples ! 

Chucks was really good if he can stay fit he will do great for us this year. 

My only negative is the same as everyone else. Why go defensive if we score. I kind of understood it previously but with this squad we should be able to dominate the game
  • Options
    I hope Aneke was taken off as we have a game on Tuesday as he still had legs for me. Disapointed Williams wasn't used but again, he should be fresh for Tuesday. I thought Watson was surprisingly off the pace seeing how involved he was with a promotion chasing Championship team last season. Mind you Pratley had a slow start with us.
  • Options
    Anyone still think Aneke cannot play up top on his own?